Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Lions

zCommander

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

There's not a lot of question about what you should do if you have a groin injury. If your season was riding on the game, then you play...if it's week 2 then rest. Too much risk to play Allen if he has a questionable groin issue. If he's already torn it, it doesn't matter because he won't finish the game. There's no chance he feels better after playing a game, but 100% chance he feels better if he rests for week 3.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

There's not a lot of question about what you should do if you have a groin injury. If your season was riding on the game, then you play...if it's week 2 then rest. Too much risk to play Allen if he has a questionable groin issue. If he's already torn it, it doesn't matter because he won't finish the game. There's no chance he feels better after playing a game, but 100% chance he feels better if he rests for week 3.

This is what I’ve been thinking all week. We all have plenty of scar tissue from Samuel and his issues last year. The last thing I wanna do is rush back one of our best players for this game just to hurt him. I’m worried this will be a lingering thing or worse. 

• Like 2

Looks like Detroit's two starting tackles will be their only OL starters tomorrow. Meaning Payne, hopefully Allen, and Wise should feast in the middle. Pushing the pocket back into Goff's face.  No qb likes interior pressure. Especially not an immobile qb like Goff. Also if all runs pretty much have to be on the outside, that's a big advantage to the opposing defense. Woot woot 😁

51 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

TBH, I’d rather Allen sit this week and nip that “nothing to see here” groin issue in the bud before we have another Curtis Samuel on our hands this season

Same. I think Payne and Sweat will be able to handle a Lion OL full of backups. And the backup DL did well last week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Looks like Detroit's two starting tackles will be their only OL starters tomorrow. Meaning Payne, hopefully Allen, and Wise should feast in the middle. Pushing the pocket back into Goff's face.  No qb likes interior pressure. Especially not an immobile qb like Goff. Also if all runs pretty much have to be on the outside, that's a big advantage to the opposing defense. Woot woot 😁

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/lions/.amp/news/jared-goff-matthew-stafford-comparisons

That's a nice write-up on Goff vs Stafford. It was done after the trade last year and gave some good insights into tomorrow. 

Perhaps the biggest knock on Goff has been his ability -- or lack thereof – under pressure. Oftentimes, the play-action pass was his best friend and to prevent the defense from teeing off. 

Per Pro Football Focus, in 2020, Stafford’s 91.8 passer rating under pressure was among the league's best. Meanwhile, Goff struggled. 

Goff’s 45.9 passer rating while under pressure was near the bottom. With seven interceptions to only four touchdowns, Goff has shown a tendency over his career to make poor decisions when the pass rush is getting to him. Only Denver's Drew Lock threw more interceptions under pressure last season.

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Goff’s 45.9 passer rating while under pressure was near the bottom. With seven interceptions to only four touchdowns, Goff has shown a tendency over his career to make poor decisions when the pass rush is getting to him. Only Denver's Drew Lock threw more interceptions under pressure last season.

It was obvious week 1.

PHI brought 5+ from different places and Goff was rushed, sloppy, and inaccurate. He made his passing yards late, after PHI started rushing 4.

Big opportunity to get to him early and get a lead. Don't expect Wentz to always give up a pick each game. If the OL holds up well, it might not be close. There's going to be games where everything clicks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

It was obvious week 1.

PHI brought 5+ from different places and Goff was rushed, sloppy, and inaccurate. He made his passing yards late, after PHI started rushing 4.

Big opportunity to get to him early and get a lead. Don't expect Wentz to always give up a pick each game. If the OL holds up well, it might not be close. There's going to be games where everything clicks!

YARN | From your lips to God's ears. | Pretty Little Liars (2010) - S05E01  Mystery | Video gifs by quotes | 8a349c8d | 紗

• Like 1

I don't seem to be as high on the Lions O as other people are.

They got knocked into a deep hole coming out of half and although I didn't watch the game, I'd think Philly's D probably transferred to bend-don't-break mode to ride out the game while their O continued to score. With multiple 3 score leads in the 2nd half they didn't have to risk stiffing D.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't seem to be as high on the Lions O as other people are.

They got knocked into a deep hole coming out of half and although I didn't watch the game, I'd think Philly's D probably transferred to bend-don't-break mode to ride out the game while their O continued to score. With multiple 3 score leads in the 2nd half they didn't have to risk stiffing D.

I watched PHI rush 5 into the big lead, then dropped the 5th guy into coverage after. It allowed Goff to move the ball when the 4 man rush couldn't get home.

Washington can win if:

1. Its interior O-line can maintain a decent enough pass-pro pocket for Wentz to allow him time and space to make accurate throws to the open receiver he'd identified.  Let's see if the two new FA guards and Roullier can do that, because the Lions will be blitzing a lot..  (Also lets see if the RBs can do a better job of blocking in their pass-pro roles; it's going to be necessary.)

2.  The D-Line's Ends and the Linebackers will need to contain Swift from getting outside where he can do some damage.  DE Edge discipline in setting their edge plus sure-handed tackling and smart positioning by the linebackers could force Goff to go to the air under pressure.

3.  The defensive tackles (with or without Allen) will need to shut gown the interior gaps but allow mount enough pressure to deny Goff the pocket he needs to play decently.  If Goff gets sacked a few times, even better, ...because he CAN be rattled.

4.  The defensive coaches can figure out a way to limit the times Goff can go to Lion's TE Hockensen for that quick pass over the middle.  That's Goff's safety blanket.

5.  Wentz stays accurate most of the game and uses McLaurin more when he's got time to beat the blitz.  (In the same vein, Wentz has to do a better job with his screen passes.)

With all these injuries on key people on both sides, and in spite of our shaky LB group, I'm going to cross my fingers and predict another nailbiter.... Washington 30 Detroit 27 😬

Edited by Wyvern