Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Lions

zCommander

33 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

That is very surprising. I thought he would be an immediate contributor. 

Yea, I didn't watch the game but his performance write up's aren't great.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-defense-needs-to-finish-plays

Welcome to the NFL, Aidan Hutchinson

A sack maestro during his time at the University of Michigan, Hutchinson, the Lions' top draft pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, failed to come up with a single sack of Philadelphia Eagles dual-threat passer Jalen Hurts on Sunday.

Sure, in Hutchinson's defense, it was his first career NFL regular season game. But, all in all, it was still an underwhelming performance from the No. 2 overall selection in this year's draft.

Along with no sacks, Hutchinson failed to record a single quarterback hit, and earned the second-worst pass-rushing grade among all edge defenders in Week 1, according to Pro Football Focus.

One of the themes of the Michigan product's NFL debut, unfortunately, was his constant overpursuit of Hurts. 

He did manage to produce three quarterback pressures. However, every single time he got close to Hurts, the Eagles signal-caller was able to evade Hutchinson, and make a play with his legs.

In fact, the fleet-of-foot Hurts was able to pick up 90 yards on the ground against the Lions.

For a first-year pro like Hutchinson -- and a man who is specifically paid to wreak havoc against the opposing passer -- those near-sacks are hard to move on from. He expressed as much during his media session Thursday. 

“I mean, I lose my mind a little bit over those (almost-sacks),” Hutchinson told reporters. “I gotta move on pretty quick from those, because I can eat myself alive. You know, you gotta move on. There’s going to be a lot more opportunities in the future.

Not that it really matters much but Smoot was in the Twitter spaces with the fans for awhile this morning. Said coaches are likely using the underdog narrative as motivation. Also said from what he’s seen/heard they’ve been pretty quiet this week and seem to be hyper focused. In grand scheme of things doesn’t mean much come Sunday but at least doesn’t sound like they are taking the lions lightly 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/9/16/23356772/washington-commanders-friday-injury-report-kam-curl-and-wes-schweitzer-questionable-for-lions-game

Starting center Frank Ragnow is out for the Lions. That could be big, especially since they've already lost one of their starting guards.

That's a big deal. Mostly for pass pro. Rushing could be affected, but if they can push the pocket Goff will struggle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

That's a big deal. Mostly for pass pro. Rushing could be affected, but if they can push the pocket Goff will struggle.

Yeah ragnow definitely helps. We should get pressure regardless though Philly was top in the league in pass rush win rate. We were second. Philly couldn’t finish though only had one sack 

• Like 1

Based on the game against Philthy, RB Swift’s running was a big reason for the first TD. After that, he had 3-4 big run plays all game. 

Having Don’troit play from behind and the fact that Philthy defense played poorly at times, was why the game was close.

Don’troit was 50% possession (3 & outs) to TD rate, which wasn’t bad. It was telling of Philthy’s defense to allow the Loins to play chase after the 24-14 halftime score.

Philthy Evils vs Don’troit Loins game…….ewwww!

Average TOP on TDs after both first TDS

Philthy ~3 min
Don’troit ~4:30 min

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

I had the Lions winning this game in a close one.  But looking at their injury situation, especially along the O line, I'm gonna have to change that.  I could still see the Lions winning, especially because they own the Skins in Detroit in recent times.  But at this stage of their rebuild, I just don't see them being able to overcome their key injuries.  

Skins 30

Lions   21

I was just watching D'Andre Swift's highlighted runs in the Philly game. He was running through big holes inside for many of the plays, and on his outside runs he had some excellent blocks as well, some from pulling interior linemen. I didn't see him bullying his way to the second level. Perhaps those plays weren't highlighted. Nevertheless, with Ragnow out and Jonah Jackson on "the wrong side of questionable" (Keim), I'm feeling better about our chance of limiting the Lions' run game. Behind Jackson, they don't have quality depth. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I was just watching D'Andre Swift's highlighted runs in the Philly game. He was running through big holes inside for many of the plays, and on his outside runs he had some excellent blocks as well, some from pulling interior linemen. I didn't see him bullying his way to the second level. Perhaps those plays weren't highlighted. Nevertheless, with Ragnow out and Jonah Jackson on "the wrong side of questionable" (Keim), I'm feeling better about our chance of limiting the Lions' run game. Behind Jackson, they don't have quality depth. 

Swift is not the bully type. He has quick feet and can make space where there is none. 

Interesting breakdown from a Lions point of view.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/9/16/23354932/detroit-lions-washington-commanders-week-2-preview-prediction-on-paper

I think a lot depends on the Skins ability (or inability) to stop the run.  If they can run the ball and keep moving the chains I don't like our chances.  Injuries on their O-line helps.  Think this will be a close one with the good guys coming out on top.  

Us 28

Them 27

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

Interesting breakdown from a Lions point of view.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/9/16/23354932/detroit-lions-washington-commanders-week-2-preview-prediction-on-paper

I think a lot depends on the Skins ability (or inability) to stop the run.  If they can run the ball and keep moving the chains I don't like our chances.  Injuries on their O-line helps.  Think this will be a close one with the good guys coming out on top.  

Us 28

Them 27

do they realize he only had four big runs against eagles, outside of the first touchdown?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moondog said:

Now it sounds much less like Allen is a lock to even play. Could be down 2 of our top 3 DT’s. And they brought Martin up for the OL. 

Being downgraded to Questionable hurts, but bringing up another DT from the practice squad is even more worrisome. It would suck if Allen can't go against an injured Det front.

Hope he feels good Sun morning.

• Like 1