Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Lions

zCommander

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Why are people surprised at 2011 mark being the last time we have been 2-0. We have been a bad team for a very long time.

Yes but we weren't always bad. We made the playoffs a couple of times in that time span. Even if we didn't, we're talking about a measley 2 - 0. Even bad teams can occasionally start out 2 - 0. So going 11 years without accomplishing it even one time, is pretty stunning to me. Embarrassing, to be honest. I sure hope we beat Detroit and end the 2 - 0-less streak. Would feel good going into our back to back division games with a little bit of cushion 😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Yes but we weren't always bad. We made the playoffs a couple of times in that time span. Even if we didn't, we're talking about a measley 2 - 0. Even bad teams can occasionally start out 2 - 0. So going 11 years without accomplishing it even one time, is pretty stunning to me. Embarrassing, to be honest. I sure hope we beat Detroit and end the 2 - 0-less streak. Would feel good going into our back to back division games with a little bit of cushion 😁

Most of those recent playoff years, we had to drag ourselves out of a major hole to get back into it. That’s why it was always fools gold and never translated into the next year. Yes even bad team can start 2-0 but that goes to show you just how bad we have been. 

This will be a good measuring stick.  We should beat them.  Our Dline should be able to shut down the run.  We should be able to hit Goff.  Our WRs should be able to get open.  Our QB should be able to get the ball to them.

I think Jacksonville’s defense is better than Detroit’s defense.  I think Detroit’s offense is better than Jacksonville’s right now.  I believe Jacksonville’s offense will get better as the year progresses and they will surprise some teams late in the season.

I predict the Washington Commander’s start 2-0 with a 27-20 victory in Detroit on Sunday.

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't know how I missed that line. 

Going from 3 scores down, to 2 scores down means you are getting blown out.

Being happy that you were back within two score and it being close, means you're a Lions fan

It kind of matters how and when that happens, no?

You're just making this up as you go. 

• Thumb up 1

We should win this one.  Our players at the key positions are better then those on Detroit, having said that it all goes down to the heart of these guys.  The Lions will be fired up to get a win, more so now that they lost week 1.  

I hope Kurl will suit up for this one as we need a few more PBU for this one... Goff won't over throw his WRs to the extent Trevor did last game.  

Commanders 32

LIons 23

Apparently Swift hasn't practiced all week and their oline is really banged up.

It's one of those games we have to prove we can handle by proving we don't overlook opponents or look too much to the importance of the next game.

Our history shows we will likely fail at both, but we're just too far ahead of them in talent were it matters most (turnovers and miscues will keep this from being blowout on the scoreboard that it should be).

27-20 Commies

Edited by Renegade7

Everyone picked Jax to win, they lose and the media doesn't correct themselves. In fact, they double down and say Jax beat themselves and we shouldn't have one. You guys keep talking about respect and that it has to be earned...what did Jax do to get respect? Detroit? Philly? These teams haven't done any more than we have, yet they're being elevated above us because...why?

I hope our guys are pissed off and sick of this narrative the media tacking onto them. Dallas just lost their starting QB and there are sports pundits saying that if they can go 1-5, they have a chance at the playoffs. Its just absurd and I hope this team goes into Detroit and wrecks them, the Lions fairytale isn't going to begin with the Commanders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Everyone picked Jax to win, they lose and the media doesn't correct themselves. In fact, they double down and say Jax beat themselves and we shouldn't have one. You guys keep talking about respect and that it has to be earned...what did Jax do to get respect? Detroit? Philly? These teams haven't done any more than we have, yet they're being elevated above us because...why?

I hope our guys are pissed off and sick of this narrative the media tacking onto them. Dallas just lost their starting QB and there are sports pundits saying that if they can go 1-5, they have a chance at the playoffs. Its just absurd and I hope this team goes into Detroit and wrecks them, the Lions fairytale isn't going to begin with the Commanders.

Well to be fair, the eagles DID win a super bowl in the past 5 seasons, and went to the playoffs more recently than us, so them I get. The other two though (jaguars and lions), I agree with you. 

29 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Well to be fair, the eagles DID win a super bowl in the past 5 seasons, and went to the playoffs more recently than us, so them I get. The other two though (jaguars and lions), I agree with you. 

True, but the people who won that SB for them are gone. Hell, one of them is on our team. The Eagles snuck into the playoffs by beating an injury and COVID riddled team and then got pegged by Tom Brady. I'm not impressed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

True, but the people who won that SB for them are gone. Hell, one of them is on our team. The Eagles snuck into the playoffs by beating an injury and COVID riddled team and then got pegged by Tom Brady. I'm not impressed.

They have the 6th best record in the NFL over the last 20 years. That's pretty good. They also just had a very strong offseason. There is a reason they talk about Philly like that.

The other two I agree with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This game bothers me.....

Listening to JLC on The Junkies who I really don't care for but he made a couple of points about this game. 

1)  The Lions gashed the Eagles in the run game and Eagles never really had an answer for it.  Yes, Swift is questionable but this could be a huge problem for our Defense.  

2)  Eagles let them hang around and Lions almost pulled that off

3)  Wentz led the league in 1st down passes last week

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401437648

“We could have scored 50 out there," said Goff, who made some difficult throws and missed some open receivers. “That’s a really good team, give them credit, but we shot ourselves in the foot all day."

Detroit's D'Andre Swift, who is from Philadelphia, had a career-high 144 yards rushing and a touchdown on 15 carries.

“I’m glad we fought back and I told the guys that we didn’t play well and only lost by three, so that’s a positive," coach Dan Campbell said. “But we can’t accept that and be happy to lose by three. We have a lot to clean up."

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thumb up 1

We're built to destroy blitzes. Our OL works well together and Gibson, McKissic, and Samuel are outstanding screen receivers. And Wentz isn't the easiest QB to bring down. 

I welcome them to blitz. Their back 7 is awful(worse than ours if you can believe that)and our passing game would absolutely feast on them.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're built to destroy blitzes. Our OL works well together and Gibson, McKissic, and Samuel are outstanding screen receivers. And Wentz isn't the easiest QB to bring down. 

I welcome them to blitz. Their back 7 is awful(worse than ours if you can believe that)and our passing game would absolutely feast on them.

And Bates is the top Blocker at TE in the league, so Blitz away and let Terry, Dot and CS play against man with no help over the top.

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Winning heals the body, mind and soul. :)

• Like 1

Say what you wanna say how we are better than Detroit but they are favored … granted because it’s an away game. I live in the Philly area so I had the Eagles game on in the background while watching us on my IPad. 

Swift was tearing up the Eagles defensive line. Remember the Eagles signed Reddick, drafted Davis, and got back Brandon Graham. You could say their defensive line is better than ours at least on paper. Swift was dinged up a lot last year but still managed to play a lot. If he’s out that will be good for us as Williams is tough runner but not as dynamic. 

Goff has a couple good wideouts but will make mistakes especially under pressure. Our line needs to get to him and quickly as he likes to get the ball out of his hands quick. 

Detroit blitzed a lot. In fact they blitzed 50% of the time. I don’t see them doing that against us with a less mobile qb. I think we should be able to handle their defensive line. Their backers are good but their secondary is suspect. We should be able to throw on them. With all that said, I think we win fairly comfortably. 

Good guys - 31

Dan “we’ll cut their knees” Team - 21

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

All I can amount it to is the Jags supposedly are off to a fresh start.  Apparently Urban tainted their franchise last year and Trevor didn't have the support system he needed.  

Their betting the Jags will perform better with the arrival of Pederson (who recently won a ring).

The Lions I believe it's from MCDC being an extremely likeable and passionate guy, which also doesn't hurt they've been on Hard Knocks.  From everyone in the organization to the media they say they can see a different team not only on paper but with their eyes.

Now with us there is our coach RR who is very likeable and respected but he doesn't garnish the same respect when it comes to him being a winning football coach.  That bundled with the Dan Snyder scandals and we are the slum of the NFL.  Until we are beating good teams and winning football games without turning the ball over so much it'll remain this way.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Say what you wanna say how we are better than Detroit but they are favored … granted because it’s an away game. I live in the Philly area so I had the Eagles game on in the background while watching us on my IPad. 

Swift was tearing up the Eagles defensive line. Remember the Eagles signed Reddick, drafted Davis, and got back Brandon Graham. You could say their defensive line is better than ours at least on paper. Swift was dinged up a lot last year but still managed to play a lot. If he’s out that will be good for us as Williams is tough runner but not as dynamic. 

Goff has a couple good wideouts but will make mistakes especially under pressure. Our line needs to get to him and quickly as he likes to get the ball out of his hands quick. 

Detroit blitzed a lot. In fact they blitzed 50% of the time. I don’t see them doing that against us with a less mobile qb. I think we should be able to handle their defensive line. Their backers are good but their secondary is suspect. We should be able to throw on them. With all that said, I think we win fairly comfortably. 

Good guys - 31

Dan “we’ll cut their knees” Team - 21

1.5 points at home isn't exactly favored.  :ols:

We'll be fine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Maybe for the same reason we were a sexy pick to improve last year? Most everyone likes an underdog and wants to be the smartypants that foresaw a team's improvement. Trust me, we haven't been relevant in so long that the media really couldn't care less about us. Other than Lord Farquaad's shenanigans, this team is nowheresville on the media's NFL map. Win and they'll have to talk about that.

• Like 1