Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Lions

zCommander

36 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Respectfully to DisgruntledLionsFan #54,927, there were two times in the 3rd quarter (at about 4 1/2 minutes into the 3rd and again with about 1 3/4 minutes left in the 3rd.) when the Eagles had a 17 point lead.  In both cases the Lions cut that lead to 10 points by answering with a scoring drive of their own.  To me, it looked like both sides were still competing and nobody was "mailing it in".

I think when most teams play the Lions, they already understand that Campbell's Lions are going to fight them hard to the last minute, regardless of the score.  Teams shouldn't underestimate the intensity the Lions bring.  If Washington gets an early lead, I hope they don't mentally ease up.  Otherwise they could be unpleasantly surprised.

I think its going to be a close game.  A lot depends on how well Washington can contain the Lions running game and TE.  Hopefully Washington's D-Line can take advantage of Detroit's ding'd up O-Line and apply pressure to Goff (whose performance does get affected by pressure.). And hopefully Washington's O-Line can give Wentz the pass protection he needs to allow more medium to long passes against the Lions average secondary.  Both teams have weaknesses that can be exploited -- so I see a lot of points.

I'll wait to see the injury reports, before making my prediction. While I suspect I'll still pick Washington -- it's really close to even right now.

Pretty accurate and I'd add the Lions are sporting the worst LBers in the league right now. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

A lions fan with hope after starting firmly 0-1 again.

Adorable. 

Why not have hope, regardless the result of the first game? 

I've seen earlier Lions teams and their Coach Campbell has them buying into the improved culture and really playing hard.  They seem to be a franchise that's patiently getting better in a lot of ways especially after the dismal tenure of Coach Matt Patricia. And they can definitely surprise a team taking them for granted.  (Just ask the 2021 Arizona team.)

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

Philly struggled to get pressure against a back up guard and back up center for the Detroit Lions.

Not convinced that they have a better d-line.

They ranked 32nd out of 32 teams in tackling on Sunday.

Curious to where Washington ranked in this metric. Our defensive line had 15 pressures and 3 sacks. Over 1/3rd of Lawrence's dropbacks.

39 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Curious to where Washington ranked in this metric. Our defensive line had 15 pressures and 3 sacks. Over 1/3rd of Lawrence's dropbacks.

The metric came from PFF,  but ESPN is showing their total Defense one team worse than ours in yardage given up. Us - more to the pass and them - more to the run.

One big pass play can be a bit misleading in this stat, but one big run can’t.

Edited by ClaytoAli

On 9/13/2022 at 1:03 AM, NoCalMike said:

I don't know about this game.  I feel like Week 1 as a whole is a tough week of football to draw too many conclusions from.  There is so much new stuff that wasn't game-planned for by each team that you often see a lot of results that aren't a proper indicator of what a team will look like the entire season.  The Eagles were well on their way to routing the Lions, and I didn't have a chance yet to see what the entirety of the Lions comeback looked like.  Was it the Eagles playing loose on defense when their coaches felt the game was a wrap or was it just the Lions finding holes in the defense to exploit?

All things considered I view this match up in a sort of similar way I did the match up against the Jags.  The game won't be easy, the Lions aren't a pushover of an opponent, however if your team plans to have playoff aspirations, the Lions are a team you need to find a way to beat.  

Agreed.

Watched the DET/PHI game and DET was taking what was there in their come back. PHI couldn't stop Swift. Goff hit a few targets (he likes Hockenson and Chark).

PHI is still a rushing offense. Hurst is half a QB, half RB, and not Lamar Jackson. WSH has the better QB, WRs, and OL. There's more ways for WSH to win vs DET. Week 1-4 (first month) is an evolving identity period for undeveloped rosters. Can't really get accurate lines for picks just yet, so I think DET being favored at home -2.5 is a Pick'em. DET is going to win it or be in it at the end of it. Wouldn't expect anything less than a close finish.

Home Team finds another way to lose. Goff doesn't elevate their chances like Wentz can for WSH.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, samy316 said:

This will also be a dog fight:

Commanders 35

Lions 31

I predict that we will be in a shootout with the Lions.  They will run wild on our defense, but we will pass the ball all over the Lions secondary.  This will come down to whoever has the ball last, and I predict that Wentz throws a TD Pass to Logan Thomas in the last 2 minutes to secure our victory.

Wentz:  29/38 360 YDS, 4TD

T. McLaurin:  7 REC, 130 YDS, 1TD

Jahan Dotson:  5 REC, 65 YDS, 1TD

Logan Thomas 8 REC, 70 YDS, 1TD

Antonio Gobson:  7 REC, 40 YDS, 1TD (15 CAR, 70 YDS, 1TD

I certainly hope so. I’ve got a tough match up so I need D’Andre to go off again this week. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

A lions fan with hope after starting firmly 0-1 again.

Adorable. 

You do realize we’re Derp, uh, ‘Ders fans, right? Very little altitude at our end for us to be punching down. j/s

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 2

8 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This season looks like the 1999 one to me. So I'll say that Wentz goes into Detroit and drops 50 on the Lions like Brad Johnson did to the Giants in week 2. 

Gibson will have 3 TDs and Wentz will throw for 300 and your boys will beat the Lions 50-18. 

I agree with the 1999 comparison, as I can see Wentz having a Johnson-like season.

But "your boys?" C'mon man!

This is the first game the Lions have been favored in since November 2020. Geez, talk about disrespect for the Skinmanders!

I think Washington pulls it out, but wouldn't be very surprised if they didn't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I certainly hope so. I’ve got a tough match up so I need D’Andre to go off again this week. 

You do realize we’re Derp, uh, ‘Ders fans, right? Very little altitude at our end for us to be punching down. j/s

Washington and the whine and cheese fan base has sucked for a long time. An opposing fan comes in here game week and I'm not supposed to talk trash? Bunch a Eeyore sounding apologists being like "the lions are pretty good"? Ridiculous. Got someone defending the cowboys in one thread. People talking up the lions in here. It's wild. Especially after a solid win to open the season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are going to win this game.  Like alot of our games it will be close.  I think we have the lead, in the 4th quarter and we stop them, very similar to last week.  I can see a very similar game script as last week. 

C-manders 27

Kittens 21 

Starting 2-0 would be very nice, get some good vibes flowing through the building...#HTTC

Edited by sebestian

In Dan Campbell's first 18 games as HC of the Lions- all of last season and one game this year- the Lions have lost 14 of those games. However, eight of those losses have come by a TD or less, with six of them being by four points or less. They also had a tie last year. In their three wins, two have come by three points or less.

The bottom line is Detroit plays hard for Campbell and is involved in close games more often than not- this game should be no exception. That said, losing- especially when you continually lose close ones- usually continues to breed losing. Hopefully, that trend continues for the Lions on Sunday.

Commanders- 34

Lions- 31

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

Detroit responded to make it a 38-28 game? 

I don't know how I missed that line. 

Going from 3 scores down, to 2 scores down means you are getting blown out.

Being happy that you were back within two score and it being close, means you're a Lions fan

You weren't playing the Falcons. Everybody comes back from big deficits against them. Nobody can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like them, but you weren't.