Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Lions

zCommander

I don't like this, I don't like it one bit.  

I once heard someone say that the true definition of an NFL shootout is that both teams go for 30 points or higher.  I think we can do that against Detroit but I think they can do it against us, too.  Keep in mind that Trevor Lawrence boofed the pooch on a few throws that would have lead to points on Sunday and it could have been a different outcome for us.  Goff isn't great, but is he better than Lawrence right now?  I don't think he misses those throws that Lawrence missed last week.  

Wentz, TMC, Dotson, Samuel and the rest go off but I think our defense gets abused all day.  We lose in a shootout.

Lions 33

Commies 30

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Washington and the whine and cheese fan base has sucked for a long time. An opposing fan comes in here game week and I'm not supposed to talk trash? Bunch a Eeyore sounding apologists being like "the lions are pretty good"? Ridiculous. Got someone defending the cowboys in one thread. People talking up the lions in here. It's wild. Especially after a solid win to open the season.  

You know what's worse? Mouth-breathing, drool-soaked, obnoxious Eagles fans...

The Office Boom GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

2007 actually. 

16-13 W Vs dolphins in OT

20-12 W @ Eagles  

Ah, that's right, that game was amazing.

Here's a photo from after the game with my greatest Microsoft Paint art:

image.jpeg.122cde3edb5c2060f11935210da62ff9.jpeg

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Hmmm…..

2011-2022 is 11 years. I don’t think 11 year olds are looking at colleges, unless they’re geniuses 

My bad, misread it due to being illiterate.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, dyst said:

Why are people surprised at 2011 mark being the last time we have been 2-0. We have been a bad team for a very long time.

I don’t think anyones surprised at the fact itself, more in the sense of, 11 years in football seems like an eternity ago, and most people honestly probably don’t remember exactly what a teams record was to start a season 2 games in, people just remember how awful in general each season was as a whole.

I mean for me though, I have a photographic memory so I can recite a record from X amount of games into any season back to 2005, but I meant more in general 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

31-17, Lions. Our defense can't handle a veteran QB, even a mediocre one.

Fair enough opinion, but let's see if your right. Each year is aimed to be an improvement. You have to pass or fail the test. Week 1 was a Pass.

If DET can't run, Goff won't outscore Wentz in a shootout. I think WSH can beat DET blitzing and bombing. Just don't turn the ball over.

• Like 3

For Washington to win at Detroit on Sunday, it will likely need to continue to consistently beat the blitz. In Week 1, the Jaguars blitzed on 13 of 45 dropbacks (28.9 percent), a rate near the league average (23.9), but the Lions have adopted Coach Dan Campbell’s famously aggressive approach. In a 38-35 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Detroit attempted an onside kick while down 10 in the third quarter and blitzed on nearly half of Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts’s dropbacks, according to TruMedia.

Detroit’s defensive aggression is especially notable because blitzing has fallen out of fashion around the NFL. Last season, teams blitzed just 25.3 percent of the time, the lowest full-season rate since at least 2013. Basically, as offenses have thrown and scored more in recent years, defenses have responded by devoting more players to coverage. In an essay, Dan Pizzuta of Sharp Football Analysis called it the rise of “anti-aggressive” defense.

On Sunday, Detroit may not be as uber-aggressive as it was against Philadelphia. In 18 career games, Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn has only blitzed 27.7 percent of the time. But against extra rushers, Wentz has been likelier than many of his peers to take sacks or throw interceptions — and coordinators across the NFL have noticed. Last season in Indianapolis, defenses blitzed Wentz 31.3 percent of the time, the league’s fourth-highest rate.

Honestly, I didn’t know that,” Wentz said.

If the Lions are as aggressive, one major concern is that Wentz lacks Hurts’s mobility. On Detroit’s blitzes, Hurts consistently escaped the pocket to find or create better throws. He also rushed four times for 19 yards, including a touchdown.

“He bailed us out numerous times,” Eagles center Jason Kelce told reporters after the game. “There were numerous blitz pickups that we need to get corrected. … That’s the benefit of having a guy with such versatility.”

Wentz’s early results against the blitz have been mostly encouraging. Against the Jaguars, he completed 8 of 13 passes for 115 yards, a touchdown and an interception on an attempted screen. He didn’t take a sack or scramble, and the key to his success seemed to vary by play.

Sometimes, a lineman or running back picked up the extra rusher. Other times, it looked as if offensive coordinator Scott Turner had anticipated pressure and called a short, quick-hitting play, like a 23-yard screen to tight end Armani Rogers.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

The Lions are a Gritty team, just like their coach wants them to be. They are nose to the grindstone workers.

Their OL is talented, though if I understand it correct they are a little dinged up. Swift may be dinged up, but Jamal Williams and Amon Ra St. Brown are players. They have Chark and Hockenson as well. Hock is a concern as this team has traditionally struggled with tight ends. I think a healthy Curl with Forrest helps to negate some of that, though. And man… people can discount Goff all they want but he’s put together a pretty good career. He’s no slouch. He’s just not a high end QB. 

Decker and Sewell are both good OTs.

Their DL is dangerous: Brockers and Hutch specifically. LBs are a touch better than ours. Rodriguez is coming on strong, Anzalone is a seasoned Holcomb and they have Derrick Barnes who many of us liked his draft year. Okudah is starting to play like a first round corner, too. 

Having said all that, I think this is a good game for the O to continue playing like they did week one and get the momentum swung our way and never lose it.

Commanders 31 Lions 24