Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

This is beyond ridiculous at this point 

Can't really be surprised Pat McAfee the longtime colts kicker tries to put down Wentz. Thing is Carson will start having games where he doesn't make bad choices and the media will have to change their tune.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Loved how often we threw on 1st down. I think we were all sick of 1st and 10 run up the middle for 2 every time last year.

Last year?  Try every year since 2017 + 2014.  It was a Jay staple.  The 2 years McVay called plays it was a bit better.  It was awful in 2014, and then when Jay started calling plays again.  

In fairness to Turner, with the combination of Haskins, Alex Smith and Taylor Heinicke, they had to play massively conservatively because the QBs were all so massively limited.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Hitting that 49 yard TD to Terry reminded of a missed connection in the first Dallas game in the third quarter. I liked Wentz after I did some research on him and feel that we'd have probably been a playoff team last year if we'd had him.

Yeah I wasn't thrilled when they traded for him. I try not to fall for the media narratives anymore, rather it raises suspension and I try to figure out the truth for myself. Sometimes it's easy to figure out, like with Wentz. He needed to be somewhere that would help in every aspect. When I saw he was getting everything, including surrounding him with playmakers, then I felt like he would be good. He makes all the throws TH couldn't.

The offensive attack just has to be relentless, no momentum swings.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Hitting that 49 yard TD to Terry reminded of a missed connection in the first Dallas game in the third quarter. I liked Wentz after I did some research on him and feel that we'd have probably been a playoff team last year if we'd had him.

I looked at the Wentz acquisition like this...

I never understood the hate for him. It all went sour in Philly but for some guys it takes more than a year to come back from injury. In Indy last season he was NOT as bad as people made him out to be. The Colts were poised for a playoff berth and yes, Carson had a bad game in the final week and they fell short. QBs have bad games. 

Bottom line: I never liked when he was the opposing QB vs. Washington so I certainly did not mind having him come here, knowing that despite Heiney being a fighter he was never going to have the tools to open up our offense. Why not Wentz? One game is certainly not a strong sample size but we could easily see the arm strength on him, which is what Scott Turner needed to really run his game. I'll be giving Wentz some space after bad games this season because I believe we now have a QB with an arm and JUST enough mobility left to scramble when the pocket breaks down. That's all you can ask. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, xxprodigyxx said:

for all those overly poopoo-ing wentz, yall are missing the point. is he a little inaccurate at times? yes. does he throw some dumb interceptions? yep. this is no different than heinicke and past quarterbacks since kirk. however, he has the arm talent and ability to put us back in the game and recover from mistakes. the last three years, as soon as we were down by more than 3 points well into the second half, i felt like the game was out of reach. that is an improvement no matter how you cut it.

Nah

I dog the trade as hard as anybody but I still acknowledged that the team was set to win more games this year than last and that Wentz would most likely be costing us the additional 2nd upgraded draft pick as he would meet the conditions, which requires a certain quality of play.

Its not about the idea of just improving. That's not the beef.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Nah

I dog the trade as hard as anybody but I still acknowledged that the team was set to win more games this year than last and that Wentz would most likely be costing us the additional 2nd upgraded draft pick as he would meet the conditions, which requires a certain quality of play.

Its not about the idea of just improving. That's not the beef.

Da Wentz train is a Wild Ride!

It's like he's in the office getting it done, then suddenly here comes this silly little yellow Wentz to screw it up!

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would just like to say two quick things:

1. I really like how Wentz was able to call the defense offsides and get plays off that penalize the other team. That is something we haven't been able to do with anyone besides Smith, smart football.

2. I like how Wentz was directing the OLine, telling them where to go and what to look out for. I think he called some audibles, but I can't think of any specific examples at this time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I would just like to say two quick things:

1. I really like how Wentz was able to call the defense offsides and get plays off that penalize the other team. That is something we haven't been able to do with anyone besides Smith, smart football.

2. I like how Wentz was directing the OLine, telling them where to go and what to look out for. I think he called some audibles, but I can't think of any specific examples at this time.

Interesting. On the other side of the ball it seemed pretty clear that Brandon Sherff was calling things at the line for pretty boy. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Having turnovers benefit us would be nice. Offense had to do work on every drive. Every drive that game started from 71+ yards to goal, with an average start at just past our own 22 yard line.

It would be nice starting a drive knowing it's not far to get to FG range.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Having turnovers benefit us would be nice. Offense had to do work on every drive. Every drive that game started from 71+ yards to goal, with an average start at just past our own 22 yard line.

It would be nice starting a drive knowing it's not far to get to FG range.

Agree and that was my mantra during the game day thread last week.  Last year the defense wasn't just bad but it also didn't make game changing plays -- one of the worst at creating turonovers.  The 2012 team, the last team here to win 10 games, from what i recall didn't have a hot defense but they did create turnovers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, OMacAttack said:

Can't really be surprised Pat McAfee the longtime colts kicker tries to put down Wentz. Thing is Carson will start having games where he doesn't make bad choices and the media will have to change their tune.

Pat McAfee is clown shoes. Dude has been carrying Irsay's water all offseason with regards to trashing Wentz.

It's amusing because there was one segment where he was talking about Jimmy G and how some people had been trashing him and talking about how he didn't do much work in the offseason etc, and was basically ripping people for pushing the Niners' propaganda there...while he had literally been doing the same thing for Irsay through the whole offseason.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree and that was my mantra during the game day thread last week.  Last year the defense wasn't just bad but it also didn't make game changing plays -- one of the worst at creating turonovers.  The 2012 team, the last team here to win 10 games, from what i recall didn't have a hot defense but they did create turnovers. 

In that Mays twitter post, Dotson was wide open on an in when Wentz went to Gibson.  Dotson passes the eye test easily.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 11:05 AM, redskinss said:

Not surprised at all, he's entitled to be an eagles fan and I'm entitled to bust his balls about it, read the rules. 

Well if you read ALL the rules and properly understood them, you also know that it depends  on how you do it and that you don't have the final say on any bones of contention. 😈. But so far so good, just don't get too ****y 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/14/2022 at 9:46 AM, Warhead36 said:

Loved how often we threw on 1st down. I think we were all sick of 1st and 10 run up the middle for 2 every time last year.

*1st and 10 run up the middle for 2 every time the last 2 decades. 

Defenses are so aggressive its perfectly fine to run when expected to pass and vice versa. Sure fans love an unstoppable run game but no fan I know hates an unstoppable pass game.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

On 9/14/2022 at 5:04 PM, Darth Tater said:

Maybe.....but the Colts thought they were a playoff team and they did have him. Not trying to be a hater cause I'm pulling for CW but he's gonna have to dial it up a notch this December to get us into the dance.

Carson definitely had a "Carson" game with the highs and lows.  Some of his throws were sweet.  The TD tosses to Dotson were not so much.  They ended up being TD's because Dotson's catch radius is sick; and that is a good thing.  Having a serious red zone threat who can catch the "close" pass is the difference between getting TD's instead of FG's.:815:

:229:The Rook

8 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Carson definitely had a "Carson" game with the highs and lows.  Some of his throws were sweet.  The TD tosses to Dotson were not so much.  They ended up being TD's because Dotson's catch radius is sick; and that is a good thing.  Having a serious red zone threat who can catch the "close" pass is the difference between getting TD's instead of FG's.:815:

Carson had plenty of bad passes beyond the two picks but I don't think those two touchdown passes are in that category. 

Neither was exceptionally difficult, the second being harder than the first but what about those passes did you think was bad?

Maybe the second one could have been put a tad further out so that Dotson doesn't have to create a little artificial separation but I didn't think it was a bad pass considering the coverage was excellent. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Carson had plenty of bad passes beyond the two picks but I don't think those two touchdown passes are in that category. 

Neither was exceptionally difficult, the second being harder than the first but what about those passes did you think was bad?

Maybe the second one could have been put a tad further out so that Dotson doesn't have to create a little artificial separation but I didn't think it was a bad pass considering the coverage was excellent. 

I didn't say they were bad, my context were they weren't "sweet".  The first one was high and slightly behind Dotson and the second probably should have been a pick if the DB had turned around.  

It didn't matter because Dotson handled them.  I'm glad he threw them because now we know Dotson can play with the big boys.

Again, not a sweet pass, a sick catch radius.

• Like 1

I may be alone but i kind of liked the placement on Dots 2nd TD. He's not the tallest guy out there and putting that over the top would have to drop down over the defender that was in great position or be a missile. Not to mention the added difficultly of not going out of bounds. I love the late adjustment laterally on deep balls - and QBs leading them laterally away from the DB - not so much this time but the DB in chase mode is clueless where the ball will go and think we all can agree is MUCH easier to catch a ball moving laterally (at all) vs directly over the top of ones head.

Passes directly over the top of the WRs helmet - chance of a PI is basically nil and harder for a WR to adjust. Basically hit the brakes jump and turn or run faster with your head bent over directly backwards.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1