Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

If they're mostly putting him at MLB and having him call plays this early at OTAs, he is definitely gonna catch some lumps early and often. 

I dont expect a very strong start from him. As long as he keeps learning and improving. 

If he can survive that mid-season murders row of top QBs we face and then put it together by the time we hit that final run of division teams, I'll be ecstatic. 

• Like 4

On 6/4/2021 at 5:43 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's talented for sure.  I think his career trajectory will be have a few good seasons on his rookie deal and then flaming out because of how combustible he is… And he's going to be poisonous to their team culture.  I guess they thought their defense needed some swagger given how unbelievably soft they were.

Yup. Selfish and immature people  can have success; the problem is what happens when they achieve that success (or experience adversity).

He will make some wow plays but will flame out, hopefully he brings the Cowboys down with him.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Yup. Selfish and immature people  can have success; the problem is what happens when they achieve that success (or experience adversity).

If one can achieve success being selfish and immature, there’s not a lot of incentive to change. It validates the strategy. And it’s not very common to achieve success without adversity... so it’s not like selfish/immature people are immune.

Further, there are no pre-requisites to achieve success or sustain success. There’s an infinite amount of ways to do both.

The fact is the Cowboys drafted a talented football player. We don’t need him to bust or self-destruct in order to beat them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Isaiah Simmons had a rough rookie year too, especially in his first ~6 games. Shanny exposed him in Week 1, and it took him awhile to recover. I think he ended the year with a high 50s PFF grade.

Just goes to show how steep the learning curve is for rookie LBs... unless you’re Darius Leonard, Fred Warner or Bobby Wagner.  Fingers crossed that we landed ourselves a player of that caliber. 

Given all this, Cole Holcomb actually had a decent rookie season...especially for a 5th round pick. PFF grades from 2019:

Run defense: 71.3

Coverage: 43.4

Overall: 56.0

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Given all this, Cole Holcomb actually had a decent rookie season...especially for a 5th round pick. PFF grades from 2019:

Run defense: 71.3

Coverage: 43.4

Overall: 56.0

Makes me wonder how much mentality plays into things, particularly in terms of playing within the confines of the system, preparation, etc.  Broadly speaking, the effect of confidence (or overconfidence).  Although Davis is a 1st rounder like Queen/Simmons, his relative inexperience could lead to more focus on doing things right.  Obviously this could backfire - overthinking things and playing more slowly - but it could also lead to more focus and controlled play.  Who knows.  

Personally, I could see Davis playing a bit slower in terms of reading/reacting, but also not making as many bad mistakes - similar to Holcomb - allowing a decent percentage of 3-5 yard rushes and not many stuffs.  I’m expecting him to shine a bit in terms of run blitzes and pass rushing (hopefully fewer whiffs on the qb than Holcomb, lol), and usually appearing close, but often a step behind in coverage.  Sideline to sideline is another area where I think/hope he’ll flash.  We’ll see.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Makes me wonder how much mentality plays into things, particularly in terms of playing within the confines of the system, preparation, etc.  Broadly speaking, the effect of confidence (or overconfidence).  Although Davis is a 1st rounder like Queen/Simmons, his relative inexperience could lead to more focus on doing things right.  Obviously this could backfire - overthinking things and playing more slowly - but it could also lead to more focus and controlled play.  Who knows.  

Personally, I could see Davis playing a bit slower in terms of reading/reacting, but also not making as many bad mistakes - similar to Holcomb - allowing a decent percentage of 3-5 yard rushes and not many stuffs.  I’m expecting him to shine a bit in terms of run blitzes and pass rushing (hopefully fewer whiffs on the qb than Holcomb, lol), and usually appearing close, but often a step behind in coverage.  Sideline to sideline is another area where I think/hope he’ll flash.  We’ll see.

I think some of it also depends on how much responsibility he's given from the get-go. From OTA reports so far it sounds like they've been playing him a lot at Mike. That may just be to get him a full understanding of the defense and all of the responsibilities of each positions, but it could also be because they truly believe he can handle it. If he ends up at Mike in our base packages I could see him playing a tick slower because there's more processing that has to go into it at that position. If they teach him Mike but put him at Will in the games for now, he'd be a bit more free to just react and play fast. 

I can see the benefits of both. If you really think he can be a great full-time Mike then you might want to throw him to the wolves to get him early exposure so he can get get through the learning curve this season and hopefully come into 2022 and play the position at his full speed. On the other hand if you want to ease him into that position, you could give him some snaps there occasionally but still play him mostly at Will and let him play as fast as possible as soon as possible.

I'd probably be a bit more partial to the 2nd option, but it all depends on how much slower playing Mike in base packages during his rookie year might slow him down. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, skinny21 said:

I'm really hoping that he doesn't play careful and slow.  He's a first round pick, he's not going to lose his job unless he has off-field/personal issues.  We want him playing as fast and aggressive as possible.  We want him understanding that he's an athlete, so go get that ball.  Simplify his keys, condense the area of the field he needs to worry about seeing, and then have him trust his instincts.  The absolute last thing we want him to do is playing slow and thinking everything through on his reps.  That will get him eaten alive with how fast backs and receivers are.  Guarantee that's the main reason why so many young linebackers have struggled reason.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm really hoping that he doesn't play careful and slow.  He's a first round pick, he's not going to lose his job unless he has off-field/personal issues.  We want him playing as fast and aggressive as possible.  We want him understanding that he's an athlete, so go get that ball.  Simplify his keys, condense the area of the field he needs to worry about seeing, and then have him trust his instincts.  The absolute last thing we want him to do is playing slow and thinking everything through on his reps.  That will get him eaten alive with how fast backs and receivers are.  Guarantee that's the main reason why so many young linebackers have struggled reason.

Luckily, he is both making mistakes and learning at full speed according to the below article.

"He knows he's in an environment where he doesn't have to play with fear," Russ said. "He knows it's a lot easier to fix something on where to go or the preciseness of it than to speed a player up. So hey, go make those mistakes full speed. Great, we'll learn from them."

A lot of younger players tend to get down on themselves when they initially struggle with the defensive calls. Davis is not one of them; instead, he calmly says, "Okay, I can fix that," and goes back to work.

The hope is that Davis' confidence will continue to increase as he learns from his mistakes, and that will allow him to play at the tempo Russ demands from his linebackers. He wants Davis to know without a doubt what his keys are, where he is going on the field and how he fits with the rest of the defense. It requires understanding concepts that Davis did not see in college, but that is an area that Russ has seen him work hard to perfect.

And Russ already has an idea of how hard Davis works. He coached with Kentucky defensive coordinator Brad White at Wake Forest, so he trusts White to be honest about Davis' skillset. The result was a glowing evaluation.

"He could not say enough great things about him as far as how he studied and how he prepared to play the game of football, how he practiced, how he approached meetings, how he studied by himself [and] with other people," Russ said.

"You can see a guy that can really develop to be a guy that could really lead men in this league," Russ said. "That's what you're looking for, obviously, from your best players. You want your best players to be your best leaders, especially when you're talking about linebackers who have to quarterback the defense. That's what I really, really enjoy watching with him."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is the type of play I'm hoping we can get from Davis beginning his 2nd/3rd year.  Davis is more athletic than Warner, but so much of this game is mental... the approach he takes to studying tendencies and his ability to read/react will go a long way in determining how good he can be.  I'm definitely not expecting this level of play out of him as a rookie, but given everything I've heard about his character (combined with his athletic ability), I'm hopeful he can reach this level while he's still on his rookie contract.

• Thanks 1

Holcomb at the Will. Jamin at MLB. Hudson or bostic at strongside. In reality our base package is Nickel so Khaleke Hudson would be a good fit as a bigger nickelbacker

The fact that he was locked in at MLB at mini camp means at the very least the staff didn't feel it was too much for him then. Things can change once the hitting starts for sure. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

The list of compliments about rookie linebacker Jamin Davis continues to grow as of recently. Just the other day head coach Ron Rivera said the first-round pick is the high-impact guy Washington is looking for and now Davis’ teammate, safety Jeremy Reaves, has some praise to give of his own.

“He’s got a chance to be special,” Reaves said on 106.7 The Fan’s Grant & Danny Show Tuesday afternoon. “He’s very instinctual, very smart, he understands game, he understands leverages, passing concepts. The kid's got it all honestly.” 

Even though Davis only started one season at Kentucky before being drafted 19th overall in April, his head coach and teammates believe he’s set to meet the high expectations that have been placed on him. 

“He’s a very well rounded football player and he’s got that confidence and swagger that you like at linebacker. I know me personally I’m gonna knock somebody’s face off but I know he’s gonna knock somebody’s face off too. It makes our job easier when you got a guy like that and he can freaking run too -- so it’s very convenient for the guys in the back” Reaves said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Will be exciting to see how he plays in game action. I'm not sure if his speed is more straight-line speed, short burst speed or both because I think short burst is way more important. On film, he seems to have be a lengthy type of runner more than compact burst but we'll see how it plays out.

@dyst From what I've seen (which is much less than some) he is extremely agile with very fluid hips, like defensive back fluid. Thing is he sometimes is playing on his heels because he is slow to react. When he was playing in games where he was keying in on the play faster he was insanely fast, some bursts in coverage for interceptions or into the backfield for a tackle he looks like a wild cat attacking.

He was a late bloomer and took years of college to fill out (I think he still can put on some more weight). But once he got his chance he was raw but not that raw.   I'm a huge homer but I really think Jamin is going to be an impact player right away. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

So crazy that he goes from a ". . . huh?" and almost disappointing pick due to Fields being off the board to a potential DROY.

Maybe me really are going in the right direction.

I'm really trying to figure out how JD went the top of the list for DROY so fast. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome. But I'd think his relative inexperience would make people wary about how much of an impact he would have in year 1.

Maybe that's offset by his extreme athleticism and getting to play behind possibly the best D line in the NFL?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm really trying to figure out how JD went the top of the list for DROY so fast. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome. But I'd think his relative inexperience would make people wary about how much of an impact he would have in year 1.

Maybe that's offset by his extreme athleticism and getting to play behind possibly the best D line in the NFL?

It’s one of the easier positions to play as a rookie and he will be behind a dominant line with a track record of success amongst the coaches. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It's a combination of him being drafted by Rivera/JDR, going straight into a strong defense, getting the playing time, and being a LB I think. He's in a great position to succeed in this defense. 

• Like 4

Yeah I'm in the camp that thinks he will have an impact right away too.  I also love that he will be looked at seriously at MLB where IMO he will have a bigger impact than on the outside.  Fans have somehow forgotten just how bad this defense was against the run up the gut, he will be a huge improvement over Foster.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Fans have somehow forgotten just how bad this defense was against the run up the gut, he will be a huge improvement over Foster.  

Which is bonkers, considering just how great Payne is at controlling the line. The LBers should have a clear path right to the RBs.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

A super athletic first round LBer plugged into the middle of a top 3 defence with 10 legit starters, on a playoff team coached by 2 former LBers and a ramped up offense? If he doesn't win DROTY it'll be disappointing.

IMHO, I think he’s gonna need some seasoning. All of our Lb’s were playing behind the same DL, granted, minus Ioannidis, and with the same coaches. And the LB’s sucked. 

I think Jamin could be a year 1 average starter, very good starter year 2, pro bowl or all pro year 3, and I’d be fine with that. 

• Like 2