Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I usually think of a downhill LB as a guy who consistently meets RBs in the hole at or behind the LOS. Not two/three yards downfield. Diagnose and attack. 

Can you not be a downhill LB and be good?

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Can you not be a downhill LB and be good?

Against the run? Not really. We don't shame CBs if they make a tackle on their heels but at least bring the ball carrier down. A LBer I expect not to be always tackling rbs as they run past them but dictate things a bit more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a different impression of a downhill LB than some.  I think of downhill LB's as bigger LB (to shed blocks) with good straightline speed, but often lacking some change of direction.   They are good at making the read on fast developing plays, but may or may not have the ability to shift through traffic on slower developing plays.

Edited by philibusters

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

So what is an uphill LB?

The one laying on his back after (Almo/Zeke/Saquan/etc) gave him a shoulder pad to the face, allowing hm to gain 4 more yards as the rb falls forward but is tripped by his ankles.  Not a good thing, even though Stats show a high "tackling" percentage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

The one laying on his back after (Almo/Zeke/Saquan/etc) gave him a shoulder pad to the face, allowing hm to gain 4 more yards as the rb falls forward but is tripped by his ankles.  Not a good thing, even though Stats show a high "tackling" percentage

Ah, I know the type.  Earl Thomas was an uphill safety as Derrick Henry grabbed him and forced him to be his lead blocker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is a couple of weeks old but it's definitely interesting watching Jamin Davis jump massively in comparison to everyone else for defensive rookie of the year odds. He would have been an outstanding bet at +1600 which is where he originally was. The correction in his odds are some combination of Jamin Davis being a late bloomer who actually had a very good season last year, a coaching staff picking him that knows a thing or two about LBers, being surrounded by supremely talented players, and a recent draft pedigree of drafting defensive studs in the 1st round in the last 4 NFL drafts. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 11.23.40 AM.png

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

On 6/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Ah, I know the type.  Earl Thomas was an uphill safety as Derrick Henry grabbed him and forced him to be his lead blocker.

In contrast to Don McNeil being a Diesel-powered downhill safety in SB XVII.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I said this elsewhere but it fits here better

I mentioned on the draft thread several times that when I rewatched some of the games I noticed Del Rio really likes to use his LBs to blitz.  However, none of our LBs were good at getting to the QB.  And I mentioned I suspect Jamin Davis will change this.  They didn't rush Davis much in the college games I watched with him but when they did he had really good burst-potential IMO.  I saw Davis blitz too in the practices I watched.   If I recall one of his college coaches mentioned that early on in Davis' college career they considered having him play edge. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/wft-camp-notes-observations-dyami-brown-logan-thomas-and-steven-sims

• Jamin Davis is business-like and a part of a loaded defense, and those are a pair of reasons why he may not get the attention of a typical first-rounder. That said, he did show off his speed on a late-practice blitz, where he started in the middle then sprinted around the right end to get to Fitzpatrick. It would've gone down as a sack, and it felt like the type of play he'll make a handful of times as a rookie.
  • Thanks 1

In Jamin Davis, Washington’s first-round pick out of Kentucky, Rivera might have found his guy.

During the first week of training camp in Richmond, Rivera cited Davis as one of the young players who stood out with their ability to retain information and translate it to the field. Davis has played the “mike,” or middle linebacker role, with the starting defense for most of camp. As a rookie, he’s essentially been tasked with being the quarterback of the defense, making the calls and checks to get players lined up.

After the first padded practice Tuesday, Rivera again cited Davis as one of the players who thrived with his full gear.

“He put the pads on, and he just kept running into people,” Rivera said. “I mean, that’s his mentality, and that’s what you’re looking for in guys.”

And after Wednesday’s workout, Rivera made a beeline to Davis to coach him up. The two stood at the 30-yard-line as Rivera talked to him about Kuechly, who was in a similar position in 2012 as a first-round rookie.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Imagine if Young/Davis/Curl became our version of Tampa's Sapp/Brooks/Lynch. The foundation of a championship D. Probably asking too much of Davis and Curl though in that comparison.

Jonathan Allen is probably Sapp in this analogy. Chase Young would be the Simeon Rice role. He was a first team All Pro that season. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Jonathan Allen is probably Sapp in this analogy. Chase Young would be the Simeon Rice role. He was a first team All Pro that season. 

Well RIce was a FA. Sapp along with Brooks were the guys that turned that Tampa losing culture around.

• Like 1

Like everyone else I'm praying chase makes the next big leap.

He was really good last year, especially for a rookie and showed some real flashes of dominance but wasnt an A+ level player like von Miller or Aaron donald.

We badly need a player of that level and if he gets there with the potential of the rest of this defense it'll be so much fun to watch.

18 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Imagine if Young/Davis/Curl became our version of Tampa's Sapp/Brooks/Lynch. The foundation of a championship D. Probably asking too much of Davis and Curl though in that comparison.

Curl is definitely a special player and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he reached that level, I can see him being a household name this season. I sit here and try to think about something that he isn't good at and I come up with nothing, he genuinely has no holes in his game and that's rare. 

Jamin is definitely more of a question mark to reach that level, we haven't seen him on the field so it's very hard to judge.