Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

IMHO, I think he’s gonna need some seasoning. All of our Lb’s were playing behind the same DL, granted, minus Ioannidis, and with the same coaches. And the LB’s sucked. 

I think Jamin could be a year 1 average starter, very good starter year 2, pro bowl or all pro year 3, and I’d be fine with that. 

I agree with that and I think it'll take him some time to really look the part, but if I'm right, the second half of the season, especially after we finish the brutal part of our schedule and end up with 5 or 6 division games, against teams we are clearly better than, he should have a head of steam running into the voting.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

IMHO, I think he’s gonna need some seasoning. All of our Lb’s were playing behind the same DL, granted, minus Ioannidis, and with the same coaches. And the LB’s sucked. 

The logic here would assume to take the stance that Davis is not any better than our LBs last year so we shouldn't expect too much from him, because look what those LBs did last year in almost the same exact situation. It also assumes that the DL will not improve in their 2nd year in the system, so Davis will be playing behind the equivalent of the 2020 DL.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The logic here would assume to take the stance that Davis is not any better than our LBs last year so we shouldn't expect too much from him, because look what those LBs did last year in almost the same exact situation. It also assumes that the DL will not improve in their 2nd year in the system, so Davis will be playing behind the equivalent of the 2020 DL.

Speaking to your point, assuming health, the DL will be better. I expect Chase Young to be much better. Most young pass rushers make a major jump going into their second year. I anticipate Sweat will be better. Ioannidis adds a lot. And having a competent offense will be huge for the defense in general. If teams have to score they can’t hit us in the one vulnerable spot by pounding us with the run. 

But, I still anticipate Jamin will have a learning curve. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Speaking to your point, assuming health, the DL will be better. I expect Chase Young to be much better. Most young pass rushers make a major jump going into their second year. I anticipate Sweat will be better. Ioannidis adds a lot. And having a competent offense will be huge for the defense in general. If teams have to score they can’t hit us in the one vulnerable spot by pounding us with the run. 

But, I still anticipate Jamin will have a learning curve. 

Have you guys seen Holcomb’s mullet? Guy’s gonna be our MVP while crushing beers stone cold style on the sidelines. No one’s gonna be running on him 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

16 minutes ago, moondog said:

Have you guys seen Holcomb’s mullet? Guy’s gonna be our MVP while crushing beers stone cold style on the sidelines. No one’s gonna be running on him 😂😂😂

Is that Swolcomb? I thought it was Mayo.

Speaking of Mayo, he's outstanding against the run. Terrible in coverage, but  I think he's definitely going to see more PT than we're thinking.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Is that Swolcomb? I thought it was Mayo.

Speaking of Mayo, he's outstanding against the run. Terrible in coverage, but  I think he's definitely going to see more PT than we're thinking.

Short yardage maybe. It’s a passing league. 

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Short yardage maybe. It’s a passing league. 

Yes. Play the run LBer on potential run plays. That's exactly right. 

The passing league passes on average 58% of plays a game. The teams who pass more than that, usually aren't winning teams. Take away the run, make teams pass more, play to our strengths.

If you get run on, your defense wears out and teams keep running the ball and generally win. The unstoppable Chiefs passed about 75% in the SB, compared to TBs 47%.

It's a balanced league. 

17 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

Pre draft, I was a big Z. Collins fan and predicted he would be DROY if we drafted him.  Jamin is a favorite because of his skill, but also the surrounding pieces.

Jamin also doesn't look so baked that he can't even figure out who has the ball, so that's another leg up he has on Collins.

8b9dccf5cd9b48868fd0ea6caac31840_md.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes. Play the run LBer on potential run plays. That's exactly right. 

The passing league passes on average 58% of plays a game. The teams who pass more than that, usually aren't winning teams. Take away the run, make teams pass more, play to our strengths.

If you get run on, your defense wears out and teams keep running the ball and generally win. The unstoppable Chiefs passed about 75% in the SB, compared to TBs 47%.

It's a balanced league. 

You can’t put a linebacker out there that can’t cover. Teams will pick on him and expose him. He’s going to be a situational player. Otherwise, the 58% of the time teams are passing will be the 58% of the time Mayo is on the field. 

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

You can’t put a linebacker out there that can’t cover. Teams will pick on him and expose him. He’s going to be a situational player. Otherwise, the 58% of the time teams are passing will be the 58% of the time Mayo is on the field. 

Yes, correct again. Play the LBer who is good against the run on running downs.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

A super athletic first round LBer plugged into the middle of a top 3 defence with 10 legit starters, on a playoff team coached by 2 former LBers and a ramped up offense? If he doesn't win DROTY it'll be disappointing.

It'll be because he got beat out by one of his teammates.  He wasn't the only defensive player we drafted.

2 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

It'll be because he got beat out by one of his teammates.  He wasn't the only defensive player we drafted.

That would be nice. The Juste might surprise some people and get a lot of PT. Maybe Toney shows out as a rush end backer. Our defense is certainly conducive

to success.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes, correct again. Play the LBer who is good against the run on running downs.

Only problem is that in the current NFL there really aren't any "running downs". Most teams are just as likely to pass on 1st down as they are to run it. Even in short yardage situations many teams still throw the ball as often as they run it. A smart team would look at us and say "ok, if this LB is in we target his assignment and pass the ball because he's terrible in coverage."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think Jamin could be a year 1 average starter, very good starter year 2, pro bowl or all pro year 3, and I’d be fine with that. 

I wouldn't base Jamin's production off of Bostic not being able to produce behind this defensive line. Jamin is on a completely different planet athletically. Cole didn't suck last year either, but his running mate did. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Only problem is that in the current NFL there really aren't any "running downs". Most teams are just as likely to pass on 1st down as they are to run it. Even in short yardage situations many teams still throw the ball as often as they run it. A smart team would look at us and say "ok, if this LB is in we target his assignment and pass the ball because he's terrible in coverage."

A gap blitzes are a JDR staple and neither Bostic nor Holcomb are very good down hill players.

https://youtu.be/JnkZdDsWmkc

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

What makes a good “down hill” player? Who on Washington in recent would you say is a good down hill player? Just curious. 

Being able to shed blocks and diagnose plays quickly. Not sure who we've had lately. Anderson maybe, but he was pretty limited physically. Holcomb is good in space. 

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Being able to shed blocks and diagnose plays quickly. 

And get good angles and leverage. Landon Collins is a great "downhill" against the run at times. Our LBs never seemed to know where to be last year, they slowly got better though to be fair 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Yeah. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we have sucked for a really long time. 😆

Just trying to understand what a good downhill LB is. Sounds like it’s a guy who’s a Hall of famer lol

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Just trying to understand what a good downhill LB is. Sounds like it’s a guy who’s a Hall of famer lol

Not if they suck in coverage. Collins is the perfect example. He's a missile in the box, but you don't want him in coverage