Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can We Talk About Speeding Tickets?

Simmsy

Ok, so I go a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago, my first speeding ticket. I was going 19 over on 17 in Faquier County. So, question is: what do I do now? I'm getting conflicting answers all over the place from all over the place. Some sources say to just pay it online, some say go to court, some say get a lawyer, some say talk to the DA, etc. Does anyone here have any good, relevant tips on what I should do?

25 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Ok, so I go a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago, my first speeding ticket. I was going 19 over on 17 in Faquier County. So, question is: what do I do now? I'm getting conflicting answers all over the place from all over the place. Some sources say to just pay it online, some say go to court, some say get a lawyer, some say talk to the DA, etc. Does anyone here have any good, relevant tips on what I should do?

We take 17 whenever we're headed towards 95 South.  That one stretch of road in the middle of nowhere with the something like 40mph speed limit, has to be one of the biggest speed traps in the world.  I feel your pain, it's almost impossible to stay at the speed limit.  Same even on the parts where it's 55.

I definitely wouldn't spend the money on a lawyer unless you have conditions regarding your employment for speeding.  Talking to the DA about a 19 over speeding ticket seems a bit much.  You could take your chances with rescheduling the court date and hope it's a day the cop can't make it.

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We take 17 whenever we're headed towards 95 South.  That one stretch of road in the middle of nowhere with the something like 40mph speed limit, has to be one of the biggest speed traps in the world.  I feel your pain, it's almost impossible to stay at the speed limit.  Same even on the parts where it's 55.

I definitely wouldn't spend the money on a lawyer unless you have conditions regarding your employment for speeding.  Talking to the DA about a 19 over speeding ticket seems a bit much.  You could take your chances with rescheduling the court date and hope it's a day the cop can't make it.

Even worse, as soon as I saw him (the sherriff) he pulled out and I knew he was coming for me. Unfortunately, I was boxed in and I couldn't get away. The dude must've been doing 100mph to catch up with me.

Funny side note: the second time he came to the car, he noticed the snot rags I had piled up on the center console (I was pretty sick, still am a little) and he put that on mask on real quick.

The only reason you’d want to get a lawyer and fight it is if you had a reason to. One of those reasons would be that you got a reckless driving charge and not a simple speeding ticket. Not the case here. 

I’ve heard of stories where if you call and reschedule your court date, and the cop doesn’t show up, the ticket will get tossed. If he was running radar and writing a lot of speeding tickets, all the court dates will be the same day so he only has to go to court one day. If you reschedule to another day, he may not show up. But that’s a lot of hassle for no guaranteed benefit. 

IMO just pay it unless you have a serious reason not to. 

19 over? Pay it & be thankful he cut you a break & didn't get you for reckless. 20mph over is a much bigger fine & in VA, they can haul your ass to jail on the spot for reckless driving & take your license.

The last time I got a speeding ticket, I talked to the cop (a nice young guy), admitted that I knew I was speeding but not the exact speed, and he gave me a reduced speed that wouldn't show up on the state and no points if I paid on time. It cost $100 but good deal on the no points. 

It's definitely privilege to be a white older female. I bet I would have been treated differently if a woman of color stopped in a mostly white neighborhood. These things matter that all people should be treated with respect.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Even worse, as soon as I saw him (the sherriff) he pulled out and I knew he was coming for me. Unfortunately, I was boxed in and I couldn't get away. The dude must've been doing 100mph to catch up with me.

Funny side note: the second time he came to the car, he noticed the snot rags I had piled up on the center console (I was pretty sick, still am a little) and he put that on mask on real quick.

You should speed more when it's raining...

Can't speak for your state... but in NY, for that amount. You goto court ( some places pre-court), talk to the ADA, you will most likely plead to an 11-10A which is parking on the sidewalk, pay the higher fine, get no points and be on your way. 

Now if you are a constantly getting tickets...that won't work...you'll just end up pleading down a bit and take the points and fine.

Oh...and fun fact...

"I Can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar...was because he got a ticket in Upstate NY...between Albany and Lake Placid.

There's even a NY flag in the video.

If this is your first ticket or it has been years since your last. Take it to court. You will probably get Probation before Justice. Means the points wont count and you will have to pay either the fine or court costs. If you get another ticket within a year or 2 this ticket will come back with the points. Always take a speeding ticket to court. You never know if the Cop wont show up and it all gets thrown out. 

Yeah, just pay it and move on.  

17 is nasty, I drive on it quite a bit.  If there's no one in front of you, it's easy to fly on it and it feels like you should be able to faster than you can.  Beautiful drive but there's always cops there.  I always put it on cruise control and just keep the wheel steady.  

Well, it can't be too much.
Go to court. Chances are they make you pay it but they do not put the points on your license, which saves you significantly on insurance.
Also a good possibility the cop doesn't show up to court. Happens a lot.

Last time I got one, i went to court in a jacket and tie to plead guilty with an explanation. (A flimsy excuse that merely reasons why i'm in court. I wanted no points on my license. My 'excuse" was i had not seen the sign with the changed speed limit, a truck or something blocked it. I figured on being guilty, pay the fine, no points.)
the cop didn't show, and the judge told me to wait.. so i watched about 7 or 8 people go first, all of them dressed like they were either heading out to the club or like they just rolled out of bed.
When it was my turn, I said "Your  Honor" which is something none of the others had said ... "sir" was the best they did.
The judge thanked me for showing up in a tie, and told me the officer wasn't coming, and he threw it out. No fine, nothing.

took me all of about 2 hours of my time.

~Bang

In my state I always go to court. 90% of the time they will have you pay a partial amount of the ticket/court costs and put you on probation. 19 over is going to significantly raise your insurance. 

All that being said, last time I got a ticket for "failure to stop at a stop sign" in my little hometown. I go to court. Watch everyone in front get a deal with probation. My turn? Nope. I had to pay the full cost and didn't get offered probation. Still angry about that, my insurance is $50 a month higher for 3 years now. 

I got my first speeding ticket in 5 years two weeks ago on the Toll Road.  Cop cut me a break and made it 19 over (I was doing 24 over, although I maintain I was going the speed of traffic).  

I will be prepaying it.  I have 4 "good points" and this ticket is, I think, 4 "bad points" so it washes out.  I don't have the time or inclination to try to fight it.

3 hours ago, Bang said:

Last time I got one, i went to court in a jacket and tie to plead guilty with an explanation. (A flimsy excuse that merely reasons why i'm in court. I wanted no points on my license. My 'excuse" was i had not seen the sign with the changed speed limit, a truck or something blocked it. I figured on being guilty, pay the fine, no points.)

"Oh, guilty your honor, but with a real good excuse..."

It’s been a while but the last time I got a speeding ticket just showing up got it reduced so the points and fines were lower. 

up to you if that’s worth your time. Not sure if they do that anymore either 🤷‍♂️ 

the ticket might be 200 bucks, say.. but when they raise your rates because you just pay it and they put two points on your license, that could end up costing how much?
Tying up my resources is my major concern. The judge and bailiffs are going to be in court anyway. Those resources are spent whether i show up or not.

One other thing,, the ticket i mentioned above was my first in a while. so long that the last time i got one if you didn't pay it on time it automatically cut you a court date.  Not anymore. Now you have to request the trial, or they will cut a bench warrant when your due date passes.

~Bang

Archived