Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And now our only decent first round offensive draft pick will walk into FA and well get nothing.

Whats the contract you offer to a guy that missed 2 games then 8 games in back to back seasons but also had come off 2 probowls? Highest paid guard with some escape clauses in case it turns out he is injury prone? 

36 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Whats the contract you offer to a guy that missed 2 games then 8 games in back to back seasons but also had come off 2 probowls? Highest paid guard with some escape clauses in case it turns out he is injury prone? 

Some team is going to overpay. And they’ll be trying to get out of that contract sooner than later.

Its a tough one. But sometimes you just have to let players go. Better a year early than late. 

It isn’t an ideal outcome, but WFT still has a bit of leverage.  They just need to be willing to use it. Most of us hope they do.

Because just letting this play out just to have him walk away, is almost as bad as how Trent played out. Huge missed opportunity.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It isn't going to happen but if we could trade Scherff and #19 and our 2022 1st for Detroit's #7.  That would be ideal.  

That'd be an overpay. I'd do something like 19, Scherff, and our 3rd this year. But the Lions are rebuilding, I doubt they'd want a highly paid G, although he would help turn that culture around.

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That'd be an overpay. I'd do something like 19, Scherff, and our 3rd this year. But the Lions are rebuilding, I doubt they'd want a highly paid G, although he would help turn that culture around.

I think the Lions could be interested in that. They get a pick in this draft and a elite player. Scherff might even want to go there since he’s a Midwest guy.

I’m all about trading Scherff for anything more than a 3rd. He won’t sign a LTD and we aren’t going to resign him next year, so to me a draft pick>one year of Scherff for 18 mil.

4 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think the Lions could be interested in that. They get a pick in this draft and a elite player. Scherff might even want to go there since he’s a Midwest guy.

I’m all about trading Scherff for anything more than a 3rd. He won’t sign a LTD and we aren’t going to resign him next year, so to me a draft pick>one year of Scherff for 18 mil.

We can dream but it isn't happening.

8 hours ago, daveakl said:

The injuries are unfortunate, but our line is night and day when he's healthy. Highest paid guard 2 years ago isn't bad now and great next year. Now that option doesn't exist and we may not get anything. 

8 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Some team is going to overpay. And they’ll be trying to get out of that contract sooner than later.

Its a tough one. But sometimes you just have to let players go. Better a year early than late. 

It isn’t an ideal outcome, but WFT still has a bit of leverage.  They just need to be willing to use it. Most of us hope they do.

Because just letting this play out just to have him walk away, is almost as bad as how Trent played out. Huge missed opportunity.

That first line is my point.  The only time WFT really had a chance to offer him a contract was after the 2017 season.  That was coming off year 3, x2 Pro Bowles, and had missed 2 games over 3 years.  Once that window was gone, the ship had sailed.  They weren't going to make him the highest paid guard after year 4 (coming off missing half the season) and then the cost of guaranteed money in the deal went up to the year 5 option + x2 franchise tags.  The other part that no-one really talks about is that there is a better then good chance he didn't really want to sign long term here after 2017 and the team didn't want to start at such a high $ after 2018.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The injuries are unfortunate, but our line is night and day when he's healthy. Highest paid guard 2 years ago isn't bad now and great next year. Now that option doesn't exist and we may not get anything. 

I believe the only window they had to make him that offer was after 2017.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, daveakl said:

That first line is my point.  The only time WFT really had a chance to offer him a contract was after the 2017 season.  That was coming off year 3, x2 Pro Bowles, and had missed 2 games over 3 years.  Once that window was gone, the ship had sailed.  They weren't going to make him the highest paid guard after year 4 (coming off missing half the season) and then the cost of guaranteed money in the deal went up to the year 5 option + x2 franchise tags.  The other part that no-one really talks about is that there is a better then good chance he didn't really want to sign long term here after 2017 and the team didn't want to start at such a high $ after 2018.

I believe the only window they had to make him that offer was after 2017.

I think that would have been a good move to resign him then. I really hope we can get a deal done with Allen and then Payne, who we just 5th year'd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I wouldn’t really be bummed about this situation like Kirk’s or Trent’s. We missed out on first round picks on both guys. 

No one trades firsts for guards so we may have missed out on a 2nd or 3rd at most. I did hear unfortunately that franchise tagged players don’t count toward the comp pick formula

For everyone saying, no one will take Scherff because of salary, can’t we just do what the Dolphins just did and eat some of his salary and share it with the other team?

40 minutes ago, method man said:

For everyone saying, no one will take Scherff because of salary, can’t we just do what the Dolphins just did and eat some of his salary and share it with the other team?

First thought was that the Dolphins converted 6M into a signing bonus for Flowers, and I'm not sure whether the rules of the various tags allow a team to do that. 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think that would have been a good move to resign him then. I really hope we can get a deal done with Allen and then Payne, who we just 5th year'd.

Allen seems like the one that will get resigned.  I love having them both but cap math makes it almost impossible.  Good teams ride it out through year 4 or 5 then trade or let walk / get comp picks.  It's the price of drafting well and being decent.  Unusual feeling right?!?!?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveakl said:

Allen seems like the one that will get resigned.  I love having them both but cap math makes it almost impossible.  Good teams ride it out through year 4 or 5 then trade or let walk / get comp picks.  It's the price of drafting well and being decent.  Unusual feeling right?!?!?!

It's really strange to have a league best unit.

5 hours ago, method man said:

I wouldn’t really be bummed about this situation like Kirk’s or Trent’s. We missed out on first round picks on both guys. 

No one trades firsts for guards so we may have missed out on a 2nd or 3rd at most. I did hear unfortunately that franchise tagged players don’t count toward the comp pick formula

The Trent for a 1 was debunked.  The only evidence about Kirk is a claim made after the fact.

1 hour ago, dswerdlw said:

Just learned that TE Hunter Bryant was released by Lions. Did I miss discussion about that? We do have a need at tight end.

I agree, we need TE's, but what makes Bryant attractive enough ?

He may not even be better than the unproven guys we already have.

Also, the reason for his release apparently was a failed physical. He had a concussion late last year, so that could be the reason.

• Like 1

Go. Get. Him. :) 

Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay Packers, sources say

• Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Packers are aware of his feelings, concerned about them and have had team president Mark Murphy, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur each fly out on separate trips to meet with Rodgers at various points this offseason, sources told ESPN.

"As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond," Gutekunst told ESPN. "Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

Rodgers has not budged this offseason, but neither have the Packers, who have made it known they are not interested in trading Rodgers anywhere.

The San Francisco 49ers called the Packers on Wednesday night, a source told ESPN, and the Los Angeles Rams inquired about Rodgers in January before they traded for Matthew Stafford.

The Packers quickly dismissed the Rams' overtures, the source said

The Packers have offered to extend Rodgers' contract, sources told ESPN.

Rodgers is unhappy for a variety of reasons, with some of it dating back to last year's draft when the Packers didn't inform him before trading up to draft a quarterback with their first-round pick. Some took this as a sign that his days in Green Bay could he numbered.

He also is at a different point in his personal life, having recently gotten engaged to actress Shailene Woodley. Rodgers also has hosted "Jeopardy!" and said it would be a dream to become the full-time host. He could play football and also host "Jeopardy!"

Rodgers has made cryptic comments about his future in Green Bay, but he has told others that he does not want to return.

On draft night, the Packers' biggest issue isn't who they land, but whether they can keep the three-time NFL MVP.

There has never been an NFL player to be traded after winning the MVP award in the previous season. The only MVPs to not return to their team in the season after winning the award were Norm Van Brocklin (retired after winning in 1960) and Jim Brown (retired after winning in 1965).

Rodgers' contract contained a $6.8 million roster bonus due in March. It could have been converted into a signing bonus that would have freed up more than $4.5 million in salary-cap space for this season but instead it "vested as scheduled," a source told ESPN at the time. It's listed as an automatic conversion in Rodgers' contract, but even that has to be signed off on by both parties. It's not known if the Packers tried to convert and Rodgers refused to sign off on it, or if they did not attempt a conversion.

ESPN's Rob Demovsky contributed to this report.

• Thanks 1

The A-Rod price tag would be multiple 1st rounders and maybe a player or two as well.  Is he an elite QB:  Yes, but I'm not sure if this team if this team is exactly a QB away from the SB and I'm not sure if he would want to come here and play for the WFT.

Edited by SAli457180

34 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

The A-Rod price tag would be multiple 1st rounders and maybe a player or two as well.  Is he an elite QB:  Yes, but I'm not sure if this team if this team is exactly a QB away from the SB and I'm not sure if he would want to come here and play for the WFT.

With our defense and Terry and Samuel and Gibson? 100% we become favorites to get to the Super Bowl.