Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, zskins said:

How many chances did Rodgers give the Packers? With that said he would have a better chance with our D and now with our semi-improved O. 

Would he?  People talk like the Packers were rolling out a bunch of bums.  They had 6 Pro Bowlers not named Aaron Rodgers.  And their D was top 10.  Ours was better, but not like they were suffering on D.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Would he?  People talk like the Packers were rolling out a bunch of bums.  They had 6 Pro Bowlers not named Aaron Rodgers.  And their D was top 10.  Ours was better, but not like they were suffering on D.

So him being here won't matter then. Giving up 3 first picks is insane then. That is what I was trying to say. Let's get our own franchise QB instead next year, if possible.

Edited by zskins

Definitely needs so vet help at Safety and LB, esp Safety. It's no sure thing that Curl will continue to grow and flourish and Forrest is also young. Outside of those two there's Everett, Reaves and I guess Apke? Not a lot that instills confidence. And yet I purposely left off Collins because I don't expect his career to continue here as a safety.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

"Semi" improved? I think VERY improved. QB Fitzpatrick. WR McLaurin. Samuel. Dyami. RB: Gibson. McKissic. TE: Logan Thomas. Sammis Reyes OL: Cosmi. FLowers. Roullier. Scherff. Moses. That's a super solid OL. SPEED at WR and RB.  A top 15 TE. A huge improvement at QB. That looks like a top 15 offense to me. 

Well, if we’re just comparing it to last year’s end of year roster, and not including Fitzpatrick (Rodgers would replace him after all) - we’ve picked up Samuels, upgraded LG a bit with Flowers, and might have upgraded LT (Cosmi or Charles).  Reyes and Brown are pretty much unknowns at this point.  In other words, a slight improvement on the line (including depth) and we added a good receiver.  

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Well, if we’re just comparing it to last year’s end of year roster, and not including Fitzpatrick (Rodgers would replace him after all) - we’ve picked up Samuels, upgraded LG a bit with Flowers, and might have upgraded LT (Cosmi or Charles).  Reyes and Brown are pretty much unknowns at this point.  In other words, a slight improvement on the line (including depth) and we added a good receiver.  

We've massively upgraded at WR. Samuel. Dyami. Humphries. That was our biggest weakness on offense and I think it's now a strength. We are a solid 4 or 5 deep. I'd call Cosmi a huge upgrade, even if he doesn't start this year. Flowers is a significant upgrade. The offensive roster looks A LOT better to me. 

And we get Ioannidis back. CB is very significantly upgraded. LB is very much upgraded. I'd consider safety to be about the same. 

I think we could still really use another LB to knock Bostic off the field in the base 4-3. And we need safety help. I'd honestly bring in both Hooker and Boston, a LB upgrade if available, and maybe even a RB, if available. I don't think we are done in FA. We will keep looking for value. 

I think Rodgers has been criminally underrated the past few seasons. I think that the roster under Mike McCarthy had terrible negligence after the 2010 season and that they wasted Aaron Rodgers' prime years. Rodgers is being surrounded by a good team now, but I still wouldn't call it a great one. They have mediocre to average TEs, and Davante Adams is the only WR that stands out to me. Whatever they have there, I think it's too little too late.

I wouldn't trade a ransom for Aaron Rodgers. Tom Brady at an old age won a Super Bowl, but he also personally recruited AB and Gronk, and the Bucs signed him as a free agent. Rodgers doesn't have a fan club like that to bring in, and we'd have to trade picks to get him. I don't see it as worth it, and I wouldn't bet on there being a better deal for him next year either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

We've massively upgraded at WR. Samuel. Dyami. Humphries. That was our biggest weakness on offense and I think it's now a strength. We are a solid 4 or 5 deep. I'd call Cosmi a huge upgrade, even if he doesn't start this year. Flowers is a significant upgrade. The offensive roster looks A LOT better to me. 

Sometimes it takes a good offseason of improvement to realize how lacking the offense was previously.  I foolishly thought Steve Sims was more talented than he was, and thought he was going to break out in 2020.  But that was partially due to how talent barren the WR group was before that.  In 2019, Trey Quinn had the 3rd most WR targets, Kelvin Harmon had the 4th most, and Paul Richardson had the 5th most.  Steve Sims was healthier, faster, and quicker.  So I accidentally exaggerated his talent in my mind.

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think we could still really use another LB to knock Bostic off the field in the base 4-3. And we need safety help. I'd honestly bring in both Hooker and Boston, a LB upgrade if available, and maybe even a RB, if available. I don't think we are done in FA. We will keep looking for value. 

I think depending on matchup and personnel package, Hudson/Bostic/Collins (maybe?) is good enough.  We won't be in Base as often.  And if Bostic is in for that package against that opponent, it might be something less exploitable by misdirection.  Sometimes reducing someones role let's them focus and flourish with less responsibilities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

And we get Ioannidis back. CB is very significantly upgraded. LB is very much upgraded. I'd consider safety to be about the same. 

So, just to be clear, I jumped in only because the discussion was about the offense being ‘semi-improved’ and you were pointing out guys that we already had (Terry/Gibson/etc).  Now you’re adding defense...

I actually think we’re pretty much on the same page actually in how we view the team as a whole.  So bear that in mind if you read on.  :)

I did forget to mention Humphries, so good call.  And If you wanna call Flowers a significant upgrade to Sweitzer, I can get on board with that.  

So we have improved the offense for sure with those 3 additions (Samuel/Flowers/Humphries).  To play Devil’s Advocate though, if we had the same qb combo as last year, would you be expecting a big improvement in offense ranking?  To me, the defense should be even better, and the offense certainly looks better than their pretty abysmal showing of last year, but what really has me hopeful is that we should have much better qb play.  This buttresses the idea that Rodgers should look at this squad as contending level and a great landing spot (purely in terms of playing, not other factors he might care about such as location or personnel say).  

On the other hand, if it’s the qb that makes me feel a lot better about the offense, I’m not sure I’m ready to say the offense (sans qb)  has been that much improved.  

On the other, other hand, if this discussion is about next year (2022), we’ll get to see this offense with solid (ie much better) qb play and that could vault our offense towards league average or even top half of the league.  Add in our draftees making a difference and showing off their potential, and a guy like Rodgers might think he could move the O to top 10 to pair with a top 5 D.

Don’t get me wrong though, I do think Cosmi will be a really nice upgrade, particularly over time, I’m just not sure I’d call him and Brown upgrades right now... but I can see the argument both ways.  Bates might fit there as well, though I’m not sure he has quite the upside those two have.  

Frankly, Samuel and Humphries are a nice bump to our receiving corp, but our biggest problem on offense was always the qb.  

At the end of the day though, this is really a semantics argument.  Is our offense (again, sans qb) semi-improved?  Improved?  Significantly improved?  Greatly improved?  With Fitzpatrick, I’d say greatly improved.  Without him?  Somewhere around semi to straight up improved is probably where I’d put it.  That’s just my opinion though, and it’s probably going to be impossible to prove either way as Haskins and Smith aren’t going to be qb’ing for us next year (thank goodness).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree, although Reaves graded pretty well. Be a real shame to not have the position be locked down by Boston with all the other upgrades. I think the Raiders have a pretty good starter and they drafted 3 safeties.

TE I think Bates could be a day 1 TE2 if need be, especially with us now having a very good WR core. Reyes will be the wildcard there.

Had totally forgotten that we picked up Reyes. Agree, he could well be the surprise package in that group alongside Thomas and Bates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Had totally forgotten that we picked up Reyes. Agree, he could well be the surprise package in that group alongside Thomas and Bates.

At worst it's the same as last year, which was awful and we got lucky. At best it's an incredible group. I think the importance of our TE group is also lessened by having such an improved WR room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

To play Devil’s Advocate though, if we had the same qb combo as last year, would you be expecting a big improvement in offense ranking?

I do. For one thing, I expect Gibson to be much better this year. We saw throughout his rookie campaign how he was improving. He was learning patience, how to see how holes develop, and how to be a running back. I think he makes a jump this year. We forget how raw he was in 2020. Wide Receiver should jump up massively. The difference between Cam Sims and Curtis Samuels is a big one. The difference between Issiah Wright and Humphries or Dyami Brown should be enormous. The o line looked better as the year went on and we have two additions. Cosmi is either better as a starter or if he's not a starter he's certainly better depth than Christian. Likewise, we know Scherrf will get hurt. The back up is not Wes, but Flowers or Sweitzer. Depth is a big part of how good any unit is.

This team's starters and depth have both made a jump up (on paper).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

So Reyes will need to be on the active roster more than likely. Nice job inquiring @KDawg

Been saying I was curious if he was protected the last few days. Figured I may as well just ask Keim, who would know. :ols:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I am guessing Tre Boston on the way?  Keim among others said since FA started that it depends on the draft.

Forrest sounds more comfortable at the moment at SS and special teams judging by his interviews.

They might convert St. Juste but will they trust that in season 1 and ride with it?

Don't know.  But I figure Boston is possible now. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

On 5/2/2021 at 6:07 AM, Panninho said:

After the draft you usually turn back to the free agent market to fill the rest of your roster holes. But honestly, I really don't see any position where we would need to specifically sign someone. There are a couple of spots where another veteran player wouldn't hurt. Like linebacker (Kwon Alexander, KJ Wright) or safety (Tre Boston, Malik Hooker). Tight end would be a position where we could use one more player as well but the free agent market isn't really exciting. To put it short: I'd be totally fine if we just signed some lower level camp bodies.

This roster looks pretty decent to me. Really excited for the upcoming season even though the QB position is sketchy. What a change compared to years before that.

I’ve said it a few times but I’ll say it again. We need to go sign a veteran TE to round out the weapons for this year. Either Fells or Eifert. I’d prefer Fells because he catches and blocks, is a former pro bball player so can mentor Reyes and stays healthier

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing Tre Boston on the way?  Keim among others said since FA started that it depends on the draft.

Forrest sounds more comfortable at the moment at SS and special teams judging by his interviews.

They might convert St. Juste but will they trust that in season 1 and ride with it?

Don't know.  But I figure Boston is possible now. 

I think it also depends on what they really think of Reaves and if they think he is ready to claim the spot. I don't know how good he is, but that D was humming at the end of the year while he was at playing free safety.

• Like 2

Just now, method man said:

I’ve said it a few times but I’ll say it again. We need to go sign a veteran TE to round out the weapons for this year. Either Fells or Eifert. I’d prefer Fells because he catches and blocks, is a former pro bball player so can mentor Reyes and stays healthier

So we’re keeping four tight ends?

Eifert is a walking concussion, by the way.

Then there’s this: https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/tyler-eifert/6680

17 hours ago, justice98 said:

WR Davante Adams,

CB Jaire Alexander,

T David Bakhtiari,

G Elgton Jenkins,

RB Aaron Jones,

QB Aaron Rodgers

LB Za'Darius Smith 

These are GB Packers Pro Bowlers.  How many of then would have made it to the Pro Bowl if they had WFT’s QBs last year?

If Rodgers was on WFT last year, we probably would have had more Pro Bowlers than what GB had last year.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mistertim said:

I don't think either of them are going to even consider extending until after this season, because of the 2022 cap increase. That's one of the reasons so many big FAs were apparently looking for 1 year contracts. It's going to be an interesting situation because while I think Scherff is probably worth legit top 3 money, Allen is definitely not. Don't get me wrong, he's a great team guy and a good player, but he's not even close to a top 3 DT. But I'm curious what they'll do if he asks to be paid that way.

If they pay him like a top DT then they probably just expect him to play like one.   He doesnt have to become Cox overnight to do it either, he just has to do what they want him to do and do it well.      Remember this D only had one shortened season to get on the same page with a new scheme and a lot of new technique.   Allen could still have a lot of room to grow. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So we’re keeping four tight ends?

Eifert is a walking concussion, by the way.

Then there’s this: https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/tyler-eifert/6680

His career has certainly been derailed by injuries but he has found a way to stay healthy the past couple seasons (played 16 games both years). I’d stash Reyes on IR this season and use this as a redshirt year for him. I have trouble believing he can contribute this year - TE takes even the better prospects a year or two to pick up at the pro level. Kmet, Hock and Fant are examples of that.

This was another mistake of not taking Mason over Bates by the way (I know you agree). Mason has position flex as a blocking TE and short yardage back and could’ve helped to boot Barber off the roster. Lets not forget - fullback too. There’s a reason the Ravens took him in the 5th despite already having Ricard

Edited by method man

3 minutes ago, method man said:

This was another mistake of not taking Mason over Bates by the way. Mason has position flex as a blocking TE and short yardage back and could’ve helped to boot Barber off the roster

Ben Mason was my guy! He would have been awesome on the team, talk about versatility!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Ben Mason was my guy! He would have been awesome on the team, talk about versatility!

A lot of analysts are saying he was overdrafted in the 5th but I haven’t seen anyone make the connection. Jim Harbaugh > John Harbaugh

it’s rumored he was Jim’s favorite player last year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

A lot of analysts are saying he was overdrafted in the 5th but I haven’t seen anyone make the connection. Jim Harbaugh > John Harbaugh

it’s rumored he was Jim’s favorite player last year

Yeah there were a few players on Michigan's offense  that were underutilized and that has been mentioned a bunch. McKitty was another. FB's are the Rodney Dangerfield of the game these days. Well them and long snappers :806: