Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Why would any team bad enough to draft top 8 take on Scherff at his cost when he's going to want to get paid again next year.  You only take Scherff if you're an occasionally-injured, pro-bowl RG away from making a SB run.  More realistically, WFT becomes a real contender this year and after making bank this year, Scherff comes to his senses and realizes that with his age and injury history, he's best off playing on a contender for fair money the rest of his career.  Flowers coming back is an object lesson that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.  (Except California, where we have some fantastic grass; it ain't called the Emerald Triangle for its geology.)

Yeah I don't see anyone in the top 8 wanting Scherff. I could see the Broncos at 9 because outside of QB they're kinda built to win now but they'll only trade down I'd assume if there is no QB at 9 and if we're not moving up for a QB why would we move up?

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They had to wait a year. But RR got what he wanted at the price he wanted. :)

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ron-rivera-wants-both-ereck-flowers-brandon-scherff-back-redskins

It says that Flowers made $3.25m in 2019.  So if WFT is only paying $3m this year, then RR is getting an even better deal.  At this point, I think RR deserves every benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

When Flowers left he said he loved being here, but since he was a native of Miami (grew up there) he couldn't turn down going there.

Anyways, glad to have him back for a simple 7th round swap and on a fantastic deal!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Wow, we swindled Grier and the Dolphins. There is really no way this trade could be looked at as a loss for us, even if Flowers doesn't start. 

With the $6 million kept by the Dolphins, this is dead on. 

Washington pays him $3 million to (likely) start for the year and gets to decide whether the $10 million next year is worth it. 

I do think a deal like this is the benefit of an experienced front office.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

My first thought was how having more heads in the FO could've allowed them to hammer the phones a bit more in search of opportunities like these, as opposed to last offseason where RR was overwhelmed doing so much by himself and was just trying to stay above water.  This was a great move.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

With the $6 million kept by the Dolphins, this is dead on. 

Washington pays him $3 million to (likely) start for the year and gets to decide whether the $10 million next year is worth it. 

I wonder if Flowers behind the scenes was a factor. His guaranteed money remaining provided him some leverage. He seems to really like Washington and the idea of returning to some familiar faces on the Line. 

• Like 1

Washington Football Team reportedly showed interest in Deshaun Watson

"This isn’t a surprise at all. Watson is one of the most talented quarterbacks in the NFL and it’s rare that a talent like him would become available at any point. So, it makes sense that any and every quarterback-needy team that could have targeted Watson would at least consider him.

Watson would’ve been a massive upgrade for Washington, but he would have cost them a pretty penny. As McClain detailed, an offer for Watson “ideally, would have included at least three first-round picks, two second-round picks and a defensive starter”

Man. That would have imploded our team. I Love Watson as a football player. But I honestly dont think any player is worth what the cost would have been to land him. 

https://riggosrag.com/2021/04/27/washington-football-team-reportedly-showed-interest-in-deshaun-watson/

• Like 1

This trade is too good that it almost feels fishy... if we’re not missing anything then goddam does it feel good to be on this end of a trade. 

Praying that we find a draft day trade partner for scherff. Paying an interior OL 10% of our cap continues to hurt my soul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

There will be more of these cap casualties when bonus money terms loom for teams in cap hell.

The draft will wriggle a few of those guys loose as players become more expendable when their cheap replacements hit the roster.

Maybe we could absorb a guy

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The draft will wriggle a few of those guys loose as players become more expendable when their cheap replacements hit the roster.

Maybe we could absorb a guy

There's likely a few of these milestones coming after they see who they get and then see them compete all the way down to final cuts.  RR & Co. are buyers at the auction this year.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

There's likely a few of these milestones coming after they see who they get and then see them compete all the way down to final cuts.  RR & Co. are buyers at the auction this year.

"Millstone" or did you mean milestone, because if some long-time, big-name players are cut, then in a sense, milestone, but also millstone.

11 hours ago, CTskin said:

This trade is too good that it almost feels fishy... if we’re not missing anything then goddam does it feel good to be on this end of a trade. 

Praying that we find a draft day trade partner for scherff. Paying an interior OL 10% of our cap continues to hurt my soul.

I did wonder if we had perhaps agreed other trades scenarios in ‘principle’ with Miami, depending on how the draft played out. 

Projecting the future.  Assuming Flowers performs well, This could potentially be a bargaining tool against Scherff.  I know they place opposite ends of the line, but Washington could decide to extend FLowers over Sherrf to draft there, if Brandon accepts a reasonable deal then Flowers can be replaced by a draftee next year.

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Projecting the future.  Assuming Flowers performs well, This could potentially be a bargaining tool against Scherff.  I know they place opposite ends of the line, but Washington could decide to extend FLowers over Sherrf to draft there, if Brandon accepts a reasonable deal then Flowers can be replaced by a draftee next year.

Sherff has turned down a deal to make him the Highest paid Guard in the league, hopefully we can trade him during the draft. We can play Schweitzer at RG and Flowers at LG. 

• Like 6