Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Where are all the positive comments by the coaches about Fitz ;) 

Will be a wild ride, but fun— hope it leads to winning football. He can tickle the ceiling of elite rhythms at times in games, so that’s cool. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Better a 10M journeyman than a $25-$30M overpaid mediocrity such as Kirk Cousins during his franchise tag years here (with zero playoff appearances during his tag years)

Lol we are the only clown team in the last 20 years to let a qb of cousins caliber walk away after botching it up with franchise tags two years in a row....Cousins was above average on a below average team in fact the defense was absolutely atrocious i cant believe how many times we gave up 3rd and 15s or more or how we lose a 15 point lead with 4 minutes left vs the saints....kirk cousins was not a problem when he was here....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Long Time Fan said:

This is where I'm at.   Happy about the Fitzmagic signing given what's out there, but still think there is a decent chance we draft a QB.  Maybe not in the first round, unless they like someone like Trey Lance and he happens to fall to them at 19, but I could see someone who flashes but is inconsistent like Mond being picked up with one of our 3rd rounders.  I agree with others that we are unlikely to get a franchise defining QB anytime soon based on our draft position this year, and probably next year, but if you think you can get a good game manager who can give you average QB play for the next few years with say a 3rd round pick I think they do it and let the rookie sit for a year behind Fitz.  Better to have an average game manager type QB on a rookie deal than one eating up more cap space.    

The reason why I am for a QB this year is next year the QB crop is supposed to be dry from what I've heard.  

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol we are the only clown team in the last 20 years to let a qb of cousins caliber walk away after botching it up with franchise tags two years in a row....Cousins was above average on a below average team in fact the defense was absolutely atrocious i cant believe how many times we gave up 3rd and 15s or more or how we lose a 15 point lead with 4 minutes left vs the saints....kirk cousins was not a problem when he was here....

And now he’s below average on an above average team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The reason why I am for a QB this year is next year the QB crop is supposed to be dry from what I've heard.  

IMO we can't miss out on the opportunity to draft our franchise QB of the future while Fitzpatrick is in the QB room. He's got swagger and leadership skills that could be a very positive influence on whomever we bring in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what some of the reporters have said if they sign a veteran don't expect them to take a flier in the draft, too.  They are unlikely going to dump Allen or Heinicke.  Speaking for myself, I'd think they'd be stupid to take a QB in the draft unless there is some surprise faller to 19.

I am not wasting a 2nd on someone like Trask for example.  If you got Fitzpatrick load him up on weapons.  Most QBs after the first round are busts. 

true they might be bust but the wining suberbowl quarterbacks in the last 20 years are mostly  second round or later

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs

The Fitzmagic comes to Washington.  I think this should be a fun season.  I also think it makes a lot of sense if you have some legit hope for Heineke or Allen.  We know full well, while there is some optimism, neither has proved they can be the guy all season.  Getting a vet with the ceiling of Fitz for one year lets you push draft capital to next year and allows you to get a year to evaluate the two young QBs and decide if they can be the guy or if you need to spend a lot on a top QB.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Even with Fitz, you still almost expect them to draft a QB in one of the rounds...then, who will be the odd man out ?

Fitz, Heinicke, Allen, Rookie Draft Pick

Allen; unless the Rookie is a bust.

I think we signed Fitzmagic; to lure free agents.  Taylor and Kyle won't lure anyone here and the draft isn't until the end of April; so we needed a better veteran QB to lure free agents.  We are probably still drafting a QB to develop.  The question will be, do we trade up to get one of the Top 5 QB or are getting someone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

• Like 1

Why is it so quite? We lost 2 D starters made one move for a QB. Team with almost the most cap. Are we saving stuff to resign our Dline later? 

I expected us to be more buyers. Take some risk. Cap not spend is wasted resources. Feels like we might go cheap veterans again. Third waive of signings 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Allen; unless the Rookie is a bust.

I think we signed Fitzmagic; to lure free agents.  Taylor and Kyle won't lure anyone here and the draft isn't until the end of April; so we needed a better veteran QB to lure free agents.  We are probably still drafting a QB to develop.  The question will be, do we trade up to get one of the Top 5 QB or are getting someone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

This logic is a complete fallacy, in my opinion. It’s money and are you going to feed me the ball/scheme it up for me. End of story for most guys. Exceptions exist, but are far from any sort of norm. Look at the Wrs signed today, two of the worst QB situations in the league Jets and Jags. 

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I have read the same thing.  I like Fitzmagic but I see this as a better than average draft year at the QB position and I have to believe they are taking a very hard look at some of the guys who will likely fall outside of the first round.  If they think a QB prospect won't offer much more than Allen or Heinicke then they will pass - they shouldn't draft a QB simply to draft one.  But I hope they look at more than just the true franchise QBs of the draft and strongly consider the prospect that maybe have a floor of an average game manager QB with a potential ceiling to become something more.  I know they are long shots but that's how you end up with guys like Dak Prescott in the 4th round and Russell Wilson in the 3rd round by looking for that next tier QB with some upside.  Also the beauty of that tier of guys is that you can pick up quality players in say the 1st and 2nd round before taking a chance on one of them in the 3rd or 4th.  I'm not saying Mond or anyone else in this draft is the type of prospect who can turn into a Dak Prescott but I do think that tier of guys are likely better this year than most years and it wouldn't surprise me if one of them ends up a very competent QB that locks down the position for several years for some team.  I just hope the team is open to something other than your Trevor Lawrence / Zack Wilson first round coveted QBs because we may not be in a position to pick one of those for a very long time.  Not if Chase Young and Montez Sweat have any say about it.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:....kirk cousins was not a problem when he was here....

Ok if he himself wasn’t a problem, his bloated salary certainly was.  His play was not on par with that kind of money.  

Also, Game 17 of the 2016 season (versus the Giants with paloffs on the line) begs to differ with you... 

50 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol...kirk cousins was not a problem when he was here....

Ok if he himself wasn’t a problem, his bloated salary certainly was.  His play was not on par with that kind of money.  

Also, Game 17 of the 2016 season (versus the Giants with paloffs on the line) begs to differ with you... 

Edited by skinsarethebest

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Miami's offense was worse than ours.  Only reason why it wasn't ranked lower than us was ironically Fitz himself.  Their receivers are "meh".  One of the worst pass blocking O lines in the NFL, ranked almost dead last.  Mediocre running game.

If we add a receiver, this team is Shangra La compared to what he was used to in Miami. 

Even with the Oline woes, and meddling running game...Miami was a better offense by a wide margin in almost every single statistical category than the WFT.  

Points 25.2 to 20.9

Total Points +69

Yards Rushing and Receiving passing and total/game.

All of it

So an offense that’s better than us in every category over a year is all because of a guy that started 7 games and played in two more?

I just wouldn’t overstate what he is, even the good version of him. 

But all of that doesn’t matter really.  I’m a fan of his, I think he can do well.  I’m just trying to be realistic on what it may look like. We could be anywhere between 9-7/8-8/7-9/6-10 maybe? If we are super lucky or unlucky we can be

10-6 or 5-11..

We should be in Every ballgame except the super clunkers  maybe 1 or 2. It should be a helluva ride. 

What do you think our win total in Vegas will be? 7/7.5 maybe? Vegas always has a way to bring my expectations back to reality unfortunately. 

I hope he lights it up for us, I’m just a cautiously optimistic realist.. I’m super fun at parties. Lol. 

I think no matter what, he’s an improvement to what we’ve seen around here for a min.  I also think it’s fair to say he’d probably be currently ranked easily 22-32 on the ranking of Qb’s in the league.  Amazingly it’s still a big deal he’s here and I hope he comes out slinging it to much success. 

• Like 1

Some argue that Fitz hit his peak at age 37.

It can't be just coincidence that both he and Brady seemed to revive their age-less careers even further, right after they each moved to a Florida team.

Something about the FL sun ?

Some of our greatest players came from Florida ; Sean Taylor, Santana Moss, Jordan Reed, Clinton Portis, etc

So maybe I'm onto something, and we need to recruit from there.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Fitz was realistically the best choice for us at this time. Gives us options going forward without relying on a miracle, and a mildly attractive market for any free agents still available. I’m happy with this move. 

If we are able to bring in Henry, we have a real shot at building a viable offense while we work on finding a qb of the future

• Like 1