Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I'm as much excited for Fitzpatrick as I am for the fact that we aren't going to try to recycle someone else's trash or a leftover draft pick. We got someone whose floor is above mediocrity. That's more than Heinecke's 8 quarters have shown, and more than Kyle Allen's half season.

I want to know that we can at least compete with other teams. In my heart, I believe Fitzpatrick will have us alive by the time the 4th quarter rolls around each game.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Stability? This guy is like the foster child QB of the NFL with wildly inconsistent games. 

Well, we've had guys, like Haskins, who were wildly CONsistent, so it's not all bad.  

We have to believe in Fitzmagic
Nothin' can stand in our way
We have to believe in Fitzmagic
He won't let his aim ever stray
And if all our hopes survive
Our destiny will arrive
Fitz'll bring all our dreams alive
For us

So with Darby gone, CB at 19?  Slim pickins in this draft.

Edited by GothSkinsFan
  • Like 1

Just now, Redd said:

I want Heinicke to win the starting spot decisively in training camp.  The Fitz signing gives us a solid back-up or even starter.

lol   They're not paying Fitz $10 million to be a backup. He'll be the assumed starter barring injury.

i get it.. you get a veteran back after getting rid of smith, but now have one that has functional legs and can actually move in the pocket. guessing heineke will be the starter based on what we saw last year, probably will get injured, and will have fitz for half the season

its ok, not going to get us to the superbowl, but can get us to the playoffs. now just need to make a big WR free agency splash

18 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I understand cautious Heinicke hope and that Fitzpatrick is very up and down, but you must not watch very many other teams if you don’t think he’s an upgrade to what we have in-house. Yes it’s short term. Yes it’s likely to flame out spectacularly. But it’s delusional to not see that he’s way better right now than what we have, unless the younger guys grow a lot, and we have most of a playoff defense whose contracts are just ticking away.

I mean I don’t hate it but come on man the dude is 38! Do you think he’s better than Alex? I’d say they’d have comparable numbers next year. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

I mean I don’t hate it but come on man the dude is 38! Do you think he’s better than Alex? I’d say they’d have comparable numbers next year. 

Fitz right now is about 10 times better than Alex Smith. Smith can barely even play anymore. I seriously doubt anyone even picks him up. His comeback from a gruesome injury was absolutely amazing, but he's done playing football. He was horrible last season. Fitz was actually pretty good. 76.9 QBR vs 34.8...

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

Meh I like Fitz as a guy but it's not a move that excites me. Not a great fit either. Fitz is just a bit reckless for my taste. I'd prefer someone a bit more careful with the ball when we have the defense behind us that we do. It's a necessary upgrade at least. Hopefully he proves me wrong. 

• Like 2

Just now, Florgon79 said:

59-86-1 with career 60% completion. “Stability”

Its a Florgon conclusion you don’t like this signing.  I like the fact we have a guy that is part gunslinger and avg pass isnt 2 yds. 

btw the “stability” was for not being oft injured and consistently ****ty.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

lol   They're not paying Fitz $10 million to be a backup. He'll be the assumed starter barring injury.

They're paying him $10,000,000 so in the heat of the action with chaos flying everywhere and the other D just sees Santa's burly beard stickin' out the QB's helmet, they won't realize that Sherff is playing wildcat and some 230# LB is gonna get trucked by one of the all-time baddest men to ever run with the rock in his hand.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Its a Florgon conclusion you don’t like this signing.  I like the fact we have a guy that is part gunslinger and avg pass isnt 2 yds. 

btw the “stability” was for not being oft injured and consistently ****ty.  😉

I’m cranky tbh. I might like this move in the morning but I doubt it. I’m just so tired of not having a QB. Year in and year out. We’re the perfect stop for a journeyman looking for another 10 mil and nothing else. Sometimes it feels like we will never get off this hamster wheel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

See, this just doesn't sound like RR and this FO to me. They've openly said they're looking for a long term answer at QB. I have a hard time seeing their strategy as "just shrug and worry about next season next season". They must have some sort of idea about how they're going to address the position beyond this season and they clearly don't really think Allen or Heinicke is "the guy".

And let's be realistic...it's not like we're going to the SB this year.

It sounds plenty like them to me.  They've said they aren't going to mortgage the future.  Rivera has hinted they might not find that franchise QB right away.   Heck @RWJ and I discussed this yesterday on this very thread which is the dude that Rivera is describing as his ideal QB sounds like whom?  We both said Fitzpatrick.  

Mike Silver who knows Rivera well said the other day on air that Rivera thinks he can win worse case with a game manager type QB.  Granted Fitzpatrick isn't a game manager but the way Silver made the point it seems like what he was saying is its an option to load up the roster and try to win this with a decent QB if they can't find a franchise guy. 

I've been listening to Keim in particular talk about the point for months leading up to this.  He's said multiple times its on the table to punt QB to next year and help set it up by adding 2022 draft capital.  It's not a novel concept to me.  I've heard pretty much everyone who covers the team say -- everything is on the table including returning with the same Qbs worst case scenario.

Fitz buys you some time.   I haven't seen any overconfidence from Rivera or for that matter desperation about finding a franchise Qb and if anything he seems to like to temper the mood by implying they might not find that dude right away.

But yeah I am guessing it based on what I've heard from Keim and Rivera.  If you have a different impression, that's cool.  I guess we will find out.  My bet it nope they aren't dumping Allen or Heinicke for any QB outside of the first round.  I do think if there is a surprise faller like lets say Fields is within range of their pick -- that's a different story.  Rivera showed some pessimism though on the draft by saying if there are QBs they like, its very likely other teams picking ahead of them like them too.   If anything Rivera came off to me in his last press conference somewhat pessmistic on the QB front.

Keim is right more than any other reporter who covers the team.  So i'll bet his theory has a strong chance to be borne out which is adding 2022 draft capital during this draft.  I've mentioned this point before in the QB thread. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Florgon79 said:

I’m cranky tbh. I might like this move in the morning but I doubt it. I’m just so tired of not having a QB. Year in and year out. We’re the perfect stop for a journeyman looking for another 10 mil and nothing else. Sometimes it feels like we will never get off this hamster wheel.

Fitz was the best of a "meh" FA QB market. What other options did they have? They clearly don't think Allen or Heinicke are the future, and they were open about wanting/needing an upgrade.

Not the solution we’ve waited for... well... forever, but we’ve worked with less.  On the bright side it feels like we have two QBs that are upgrades over what we had to start last season.  That’s something, I guess.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Sorry but a 1 year stop gap on his 9th team in sixteen years isn’t stability, no matter how you slice it.

There was no stable option once we missed out on Stafford.  None.  No long term fix available.  No realistic shot at grabbing one of the good QB's in this draft.

The only other realistic option besides Fitz, was to roll the dice with Allen/Heinicke.

• Like 1