Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Four glaring needs: WR, FS, CB, LB

Malik Hooker

Jayon Brown or KJ Wright

Curtis Samuel

I honestly haven’t looked much at the FA CB lists. 

But we still have a good chance to get the glaring stuff filled heading into the draft.

LT and LG are holes but were serviceably filled last season and could be again this year. Though I’d love a LT.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Malik Hooker

Jayon Brown or KJ Wright

Curtis Samuel

But we still have a good chance to get the glaring stuff filled heading into the draft.

LT and LG are holes but were serviceably filled last season and could be again this year. Though I’d love a LT.

All these needs and you just know we’re gonna sign Chris Carson or something wildly out of the blue

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Winston was who I wanted, but after he resigned I'm fine with Fitz. I'm mostly happy that we're out of that flaming clown show of a QB carousel and aren't going to lose picks for Wilson or Darnold. 

Losing picks for Darnold IMO would have been a disaster.  Fitz was my top guy.  If he plays like he played last year, we actually got an above average QB who is arguably the most fun personality and one of the better QB leaders in the NFL.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Losing picks for Darnold IMO would have been a disaster.  Fitz was my top guy.  If he plays like he played last year, we actually got an above average QB who is arguably the most fun personality and one of the better QB leaders in the NFL.  

I don't think he's a lock to be the day 1 starter, but he will definitely start some games. With Heinicke and Allen, now Fitz, I could see all 3 getting plenty of PT this season and not too much drop off between them. Also seems like it would be a great QB room, without much pressure to groom a rookie.

I really like the fact that there were no leaks from inside the building. Only way we were linked to Fitz was the fact that everyone knew we were looking for a QB. I dont recall anything from the media leading up to the signing. Refreshing and alludes to the fact that even if we are not being "linked" to a particular player it doesnt mean the FO isnt working behind the scenes to find available players at the right compensation.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

This logic is a complete fallacy, in my opinion. It’s money and are you going to feed me the ball/scheme it up for me. End of story for most guys. Exceptions exist, but are far from any sort of norm. Look at the Wrs signed today, two of the worst QB situations in the league Jets and Jags. 

Huh? Are you being purposely misleading to make your point? Both those teams are a month away from drafting hyped, high quality rookie QB’s at #1 and #2 overall. That’s not a coincidence. 

53 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Malik Hooker

Jayon Brown or KJ Wright

Curtis Samuel

I am sure they were hustling all day in discussions but only completed with Fitz. Those discussions will probably lead to at least one weapon being signed today. I would hope at least one LB or DB as well.

I would not be at all surprised if WFT was one of the teams inquiring about CJ Mosley to plug in at MLB. The Jets did just take a flier on J Davis yesterday. Compare him two years ago to Brown and he is better. It is the two years in between that bothers me. it is that which means perhaps they only offer a 3rd. If they don't love Brown I could see them sign Wright for 2-3 years as the leader of the D like Fitz is planned for this year on the offense

Edited by DWinzit

22 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Does anyone know how much cap room we have now?

Just under 40mil prior to yesterday, but to be honest we have got more than enough to get 3 or 4 players in before all of these contract details are known.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Backup QB get about 10million unless their rookies. 
Winston signed cheaply, only he knows why.

No, they don't. Back-ups usually get less than $5 million. Here's a link listing the highest paid back-ups the past three season: https://www.espn.com/blog/las-vegas-raiders/post/_/id/24227/how-does-marcus-mariota-and-his-big-for-a-backup-contract-fit-with-the-raiders

Mariota tops the list at $7.5 million. Sixth place is $5 million. Meaning the sixth highest paid back-up QB of the last three years got $5 million. No back-up is making $10 million. It's usually more like $3 million.

6 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

Ok if he himself wasn’t a problem, his bloated salary certainly was.  His play was not on par with that kind of money.  

Also, Game 17 of the 2016 season (versus the Giants with paloffs on the line) begs to differ with you... 

Yeah but his bloated salary was due to the fact that our front office didnt see the need to pay him a decent contract had we signed him to a similar contract to what we paid alex smith on 2018 after the 2016 seasom we would have gotten a good qb at a decent price, that was young and could have built an offense around...we didnt even offer him what mike glennon or brock osweiler got....qbs get paid especially ones that dont get hurt and can play

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Malik Hooker

Jayon Brown or KJ Wright

Curtis Samuel

William Jackson is the best corner on the market. Looked like he was going to be elite in 2018 but hasn’t lives up to that since. If you can get him for 3/33 or 3/36, that’d be a good move

From your list, I want:

John Brown

Tre Boston

William Jackson

KJ Wright

Getting Jackson does not stop you from getting another outside corner in the draft like a Stokes as Fuller can play and is probably better inside

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

Saw an analyst say William Jackson was a great fit for WFT after Darby left. 

All the FS I was interested still there. 

all the LBs I was interested in (Anthony Walked, Van Noy) still there. 

same with WRs sans Davis

all the TEs except Jonnu

With QB taken care of at least until the draft, let’s see what we can do today. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

With Fitzmagic in the fold we now build this defense to be as nasty as we can make it. Fitz will need to come in ready to play cause Heiny is gonna push him big time...Allen too. Love this move.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

With Fitzmagic in the fold we now build this defense to be as nasty as we can make it. Fitz will need to come in ready to play cause Heiny is gonna push him big time...Allen too. Love this move.

Nabbing Fitz as our 1st FA signing speaks volumes about what we think of him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, method man said:

William Jackson is the best corner on the market. Looked like he was going to be elite in 2018 but hasn’t lives up to that since. If you can get him for 3/33 or 3/36, that’d be a good move

Could be wrong, but If Darby took 3/30 in Denver, then we can’t have offered a similar or better deal, so for us to turn around and give another corner 11/12 mil per year seems unlikely, to me.

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think he's a lock to be the day 1 starter, but he will definitely start some games. With Heinicke and Allen, now Fitz, I could see all 3 getting plenty of PT this season and not too much drop off between them. Also seems like it would be a great QB room, without much pressure to groom a rookie.

I'd be surprised for the money they paid him, he'd be a backup.  But either way I won't care.  I want the best QB to play.  I am relatively confident Fitz is distinctly better than Kyle Allen.  Heinicke should be interesting because he plays with similar moxie.  Fitz has the reputation of being a great mentor. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be surprised for the money they paid him, he'd be a backup.  But either way I won't care.  I want the best QB to play.  I am relatively confident Fitz is distinctly better than Kyle Allen.  Heinicke should be interesting because he plays with similar moxie.  Fitz has the reputation of being a great mentor. 

I think he will be the starter, but I also believe RR when he says they'll compete. 

I also don't think Heinicke will ever string together to many healthy games in a row.

Fitz is a good player for what we have here. Heinicke is an “old rookie with experience”. So treating him as a true rookie, despite his age and the fact he has NFL starts makes a lot of sense. 

Allen is by no means a sure thing health wise so, consider him PUPed.

A true rookie certainly has a window here. If we don’t get one of the ones who can compete right away (in my opinion that’s Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones) then you can add a mid rounder to be QB 3 (Buechele, Newman, Ahlers). Montez is a camp arm/cut. 

Next season you look at Allen/Heinicke/Fitz/rookie and you take the three that you like best or the two you can keep and then decide whether you are adding a vet backup, vet starter or a rookie to the fold. 

I like the QB direction. It’s not a potent slap in the face right now but Fitz can make magic. 

I have many concerns on the roster.

I would like: four down back (Harris), Slot and Boundary receivers, Left Tackle, 2 inside backers, a free, 2 corners.

I’m more concerned with defense right now. I think the unit was vastly overrated last year but still good. Losing a corner, a some depth at LB (you can point to JHC but he, like Harmon, is a bonus if they work and shouldn’t be looked upon as an answer), free safety is always a concern and our starting and 3rd string outside guy as far as corners and I have concerns.

They can be remedied. It’s early as hell. 

We do need to come away from FA with a receiving weapon and at least a backer and hopefully a free... I’d be a bit more comfortable.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Could be wrong, but If Darby took 3/30 in Denver, then we can’t have offered a similar or better deal, so for us to turn around and give another corner 11/12 mil per year seems unlikely, to me.

It’s the risk reward of it. Darby was easily coming off his best year. Everyone forgets that the year before (albeit playing hurt) he was one of the league’s worst corners. Jackson, on the other hand has had one elite year, one bad year and two good years. He also doesn’t have the benefit of great coaching playing in Cincy

Rivera & co won’t pay corners big $ but they’s pay in the $10M-$12M AAV range for someone they like, Fuller being an example