Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Love the move, had to get a competent veteran QB to make it possible for us to still compete for the division next year, and Fitzpatrick definitely fits that mold.  We’ll also be able to get a good to great FA WR/TE now that we have a known QB1 locked in for next year.

This move also allows us to draft QB, and have them sit and learn behind Fitz.  My guess is Allen will be the odd man out, and he will either be put on PUP, or be cut before the season starts.  We don’t lose anything by cutting Allen, since he’s not very talented nor is he in our future plans.  Heinecke is more talented, with better upside as a backup, so he can be QB2 or 3.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Pats love reclamation projects.  For some reason I have a hunch Trubisky ends up there with McDaniels thinking he and Agolor can get the most out of him

I predict they are going to go hard after Lance. Use Newton as the offensive placeholder for the style they want and plug Lance in when ready.

Do they get up high enough to get him? I doubt it. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they go hard.

Our WR group is terrible after McLaurin.  I'd like to see them bring in Fuller and John Ross and hope one of them works out.  Go full track meet instead of having zero verticality in the offense like last year.  Ross is going to be cheap and he needs a change of scenery in the worst way.

• Like 3

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Our WR group is terrible after McLaurin.  I'd like to see them bring in Fuller and John Ross and hope one of them works out.  Go full track meet instead of having zero verticality in the offense like last year.  Ross is going to be cheap and he needs a change of scenery in the worst way.

That would open so much stuff up for TMac and Gibson. And Turner really.

Just now, method man said:

Rivera & co won’t pay corners big $ but they’s pay in the $10M-$12M AAV range for someone they like, Fuller being an example

Agree. Have a feeling we may actually like Harris at FS, and that’s where the money is currently slated to go. But that’s just a guess really. Need a DB in some capacity brought in prior to the draft.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fuller is a huge no from me. Too costly to take a flier on a guy who plays less than 10 games a season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think he will be the starter, but I also believe RR when he says they'll compete. 

I also don't think Heinicke will ever string together to many healthy games in a row.

Heinicke pulling into sign his new deal.

giphy.gif

Heinicke landed safely on a glacier and climbed down.

giphy.gif

Heinicke took a helicopter after making millions to celebrate with a cruise.

giphy.gif

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree. Have a feeling we may actually like Harris at FS, and that’s where the money is currently slated to go. But that’s just a guess really. Need a DB in some capacity brought in prior to the draft.

I'd be over the moon excited if we nabbed such a good FS for the back of our D. A true center fielder has been such a hole for so long.

Also, people talk about SS and FS like it's the same position, but it's about like WR and TE or RB and FB.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, method man said:

Everyone should chill out. We don't need a #1 receiver. We have one. John Brown and TY Hilton are two proven #2 WRs not showing up on that guy's list. Given the depth of the draft at WR, I am happy they aren't overpaying for anyone 

I want T.Y. so bad for this offense.  Especially with Fitz now.

Getting Fitz in yesterday must help the chase for a receiver today. Samuel was heavily linked to the Pats, but that must have passed now. Got to think we’re in there. I’m on JuJu too, but snagging 2 or 3 key additions in the next 24-48 hours would be massive for us.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

That would open so much stuff up for TMac and Gibson. And Turner really.

I don't think Ross is on our radar, they probably go after Samuel instead.  But I'd prefer a much smaller deal for Ross.

McLaurin desperately needs someone to move those safeties around and give him some breathing room.

I'd like signing two vertical receivers even more if we get Najee or Etienne.  Gibson absolutely needs a running mate and a one-two punch in the running game needs to be the identity of an offense with a risky vertical thrower who likes to test those safeties like Fitzpatrick, or else you're going to be losing games.  If we miss out on Najee or Etienne, then I'd want Chuba Hubbard.  Just go all out speed with all of our skill players on offense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol we are the only clown team in the last 20 years to let a qb of cousins caliber walk away after botching it up with franchise tags two years in a row....Cousins was above average on a below average team in fact the defense was absolutely atrocious i cant believe how many times we gave up 3rd and 15s or more or how we lose a 15 point lead with 4 minutes left vs the saints....kirk cousins was not a problem when he was here....

I am sure Minny loves the caliber of QB Kirk is since they can't win with him. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fuller is a huge no from me. Too costly to take a flier on a guy who plays less than 10 games a season.

I think his deal will end up being reasonable, especially for us. Juju and Golladay will probably eat up A lot of the big WR money and we're spending so little on QB and defense that we can afford to take a risk on a WR.  Fuller is the most interesting target available from a scheme perspective because his speed is on a different level and the vertical spacing of the offense is just so weak and limiting.

Psyched for Fitzpatrick. Hoping for a top WR (Golladay, Fuller, Samuel, not too high on Juju) and ILB (Jayon Brown, KJ Wright or high upside player) and perhaps a TE (ok with TE2 like Gerald Everrett or lower)  by tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fitz is a good player for what we have here. Heinicke is an “old rookie with experience”. So treating him as a true rookie, despite his age and the fact he has NFL starts makes a lot of sense. 

Allen is by no means a sure thing health wise so, consider him PUPed.

A true rookie certainly has a window here. If we don’t get one of the ones who can compete right away (in my opinion that’s Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones) then you can add a mid rounder to be QB 3 (Buechele, Newman, Ahlers). Montez is a camp arm/cut. 

Next season you look at Allen/Heinicke/Fitz/rookie and you take the three that you like best or the two you can keep and then decide whether you are adding a vet backup, vet starter or a rookie to the fold. 

I like the QB direction. It’s not a potent slap in the face right now but Fitz can make magic. 

I have many concerns on the roster.

I would like: four down back (Harris), Slot and Boundary receivers, Left Tackle, 2 inside backers, a free, 2 corners.

I’m more concerned with defense right now. I think the unit was vastly overrated last year but still good. Losing a corner, a some depth at LB (you can point to JHC but he, like Harmon, is a bonus if they work and shouldn’t be looked upon as an answer), free safety is always a concern and our starting and 3rd string outside guy as far as corners and I have concerns.

They can be remedied. It’s early as hell. 

We do need to come away from FA with a receiving weapon and at least a backer and hopefully a free... I’d be a bit more comfortable.

There are some name RB's out there who are gonna be settling for one year deals on the cheap...I believe it was Pat Kirwan on Sirius Radio who said he see only one, two or maybe 3 RB's making any serious money in free agency. I would love to get Chris Carson...but there's also Kenyon Drake, James Connor, Phillip Lindsay, Mike Davis all sitting out there. Lindsay can play and isn't old, he'd be good too. Someone to share the load with Gibson would be my wish.

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My concerns about WR aren't massive. I do think we absolutely need to add a play maker opposite of McLaurin and not sit back and wait for a young guy to develop. I also think we could address slot WR in the draft with someone like Elijah Moore or Amari Rodgers in ROund 2 or 3. BUT, right now we have...

WR1: McLaurin

WR2: Harmon

SWR: S. Sims

WR3: C. Sims

W4: Gandy-Golden

Still a lot of young, unproven talent with upside. Curtis Samuel and JuJu are both versatile but flourish in the slot, which I think is our weakest WR position. Sims flashed, but not enough. I think there's a decent chance that one of Cam Sims, Harmon or Gandy-Golden are capable of emerging as a WR opposite Terry, but ideally you just skip that anticipation and draft a guy to shore it up even more.

Curtis Samuel or JuJu go a long way to shoring that up. John Ross has some nice upside as well, and Fuller is probably the last guy I would pay a decent chunk of $$ to play outside. The other guys are best in the slot, meaning we should go to WR in Round 1 or 2.

• Like 1

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Darby out, Fitzp in
18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think Ross is on our radar, they probably go after Samuel instead.  But I'd prefer a much smaller deal for Ross.

McLaurin desperately needs someone to move those safeties around and give him some breathing room.

I'd like signing two vertical receivers even more if we get Najee or Etienne.  Gibson absolutely needs a running mate and a one-two punch in the running game needs to be the identity of an offense with a risky vertical thrower who likes to test those safeties like Fitzpatrick, or else you're going to be losing games.  If we miss out on Najee or Etienne, then I'd want Chuba Hubbard.  Just go all out speed with all of our skill players on offense.

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

19 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Getting Fitz in yesterday must help the chase for a receiver today. Samuel was heavily linked to the Pats, but that must have passed now. Got to think we’re in there. I’m on JuJu too, but snagging 2 or 3 key additions in the next 24-48 hours would be massive for us.

JuJu being younger than TMac is huge....I wouldn't break the bank for him though. Seeing how great some of the rookies were last year in the league makes me think we can plug and play a rookie 2nd round WR to go with TMac and a mid-tier free agent like a John Brown or TY Hilton while still having our own group of holdovers to mix in. Cam Sims should only get better and Harmon has a chance too. I would almost prefer getting an Everett or Ertz at TE to combine with a mid tier FA WR over breaking the bank for a Golladay or JuJu...

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Darby, KPL out, Fitzp in

Fitzpatrick signing for me is this ...

Had we gone for Mariota, Winston or Trubisky I would have sensed there being a chance to "reclaim" those guys and build around them if successful. Fitzpatrick is strictly a 1-year, 2-year tops bridge QB. A bridge for what? Who knows. But he is not the long-term answer. What it might do, though, is give you a guy (between him and Heinecke) that can compete from Day 1, who has great leadership skills, and who can groom a young buck to come up and take over in 1-2 years, whether in this draft class or the next.

We have shown patience in FA so far and surely we'll add some talent, whether big deals or 1 year prove-its. But I have a hard time seeing a team that wants to build through the draft trading away massive capital to move up and draft a rookie QB to sit for a year.

So I think the most likely scenario is Fitz and Heine battle it out in camp. We draft a rookie in Rounds 2-4 to come in and sit for a year. Maybe that guy ends up not being "it" and you go back to the draft in 2022. This staff SHOULD know even just through practices and such whether there's a legit shot at developing from that guy in Year 1. But anyway, just think that's the most likely scenario. Mond, Trask, the Stanford QB, Jaime Newman ... I would keep my eyes peeled for one of them in the 3rd or 4th (Maybe 2nd for Mond if you buy the hype).

What it will also allow us to do, though, is go all out in the draft and get more talent. I'm sure we'll make some hole-plugging signing ala last year, but I would expect we go WR, LT, CB pretty early in the draft to go along with QB.

• Like 1