Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It sounds plenty like them to me.  They've said they aren't going to mortgage the future.  Rivera has hinted they might not find that franchise QB right away.   Heck @RWJ and I discussed this yesterday on this very thread which is the dude that Rivera is describing as his ideal QB sounds like whom?  We both said Fitzpatrick.  

Mike Silver who knows Rivera well said the other day on air that Rivera thinks he can win worse case with a game manager type QB.  Granted Fitzpatrick isn't a game manager but the way Silver made the point it seems like what he was saying is its an option to load up the roster and try to win this with a decent QB if they can't find a franchise guy. 

I've been listening to Keim in particular talk about the point for months leading up to this.  He's said multiple times its on the table to punt QB to next year and help set it up by adding 2022 draft capital.  It's not a novel concept to me.  I've heard pretty much everyone who covers the team say -- everything is on the table including returning with the same Qbs worst case scenario.

Fitz buys you some time.   I haven't seen any overconfidence from Rivera or for that matter desperation about finding a franchise Qb and if anything he seems to like to temper the mood by implying they might not find that dude right away.

But yeah I am guessing it based on what I've heard from Keim and Rivera.  If you have a different impression, that's cool.  I guess we will find out.  My bet it nope they aren't dumping Allen or Heinicke for any QB outside of the first round.  I do think if there is a surprise faller like lets say Fields is within range of their pick -- that's a different story.  Rivera showed some pessimism though on the draft by saying if there are QBs they like, its very likely other teams picking ahead of them like them too.   If anything Rivera came off to me in his last press conference somewhat pessmistic on the QB front.

Keim is right more than any other reporter who covers the team.  So i'll bet his theory has a strong chance to be borne out which is adding 2022 draft capital during this draft.  I've mentioned this point before in the QB thread. 

In that case, why sign Fitz to just a 1 year deal? Do you think RR believes they can win the SB with Fitz this season? I'd love the optimism but I think the chances are incredibly slim. It sounds like they're basically just blindly kicking the can down the road. I like the Fitz signing but I'd hope they have some plan for the future beyond him, especially given that they only signed him for a year (though it's always possible that Fitz only wanted a 1 year contract).

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heck @RWJ and I discussed this yesterday on this very thread which is the dude that Rivera is describing as his ideal QB sounds like whom?  We both said Fitzpatrick.  

Absolutely - Fitz definitely fits that "profile" for a QB that Rivera claimed he looked for - when 2 out of the 3 traits both basically meant 'fearless'

We definitely got a Fearless Fitz.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I’m cranky tbh. I might like this move in the morning but I doubt it. I’m just so tired of not having a QB. Year in and year out. We’re the perfect stop for a journeyman looking for another 10 mil and nothing else. Sometimes it feels like we will never get off this hamster wheel.

Better a 10M journeyman than a $25-$30M overpaid mediocrity such as Kirk Cousins during his franchise tag years here (with zero playoff appearances during his tag years)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been listening to Keim in particular talk about the point for months leading up to this.  He's said multiple times its on the table to punt QB to next year and help set it up by adding 2022 draft capital.  It's not a novel concept to me.  I've heard pretty much everyone who covers the team say -- everything is on the table including returning with the same Qbs worst case scenario.

Keim is right more than any other reporter who covers the team.  So i'll bet his theory has a strong chance to be borne out which is adding 2022 draft capital during this draft.  I've mentioned this point before in the QB thread. 

Trading back for 2022 draft capital is perfect.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It sounds plenty like them to me.  They've said they aren't going to mortgage the future.  Rivera has hinted they might not find that franchise QB right away.   Heck @RWJ and I discussed this yesterday on this very thread which is the dude that Rivera is describing as his ideal QB sounds like whom?  We both said Fitzpatrick.  

Mike Silver who knows Rivera well said the other day on air that Rivera thinks he can win worse case with a game manager type QB.  Granted Fitzpatrick isn't a game manager but the way Silver made the point it seems like what he was saying is its an option to load up the roster and try to win this with a decent QB if they can't find a franchise guy. 

I've been listening to Keim in particular talk about the point for months leading up to this.  He's said multiple times its on the table to punt QB to next year and help set it up by adding 2021 draft capital.  It's not a novel concept to me.  I've heard pretty much everyone who covers the team say -- everything is on the table including returning with the same Qbs worst case scenario.

Fitz buys you some time.   I haven't not seen any overconfidence from Rivera or for that matter desperation about finding a franchise Qb if anything he seems to like to temper the mood by implying they might not find that dude right away.

But yeah I am guessing it based on what I've heard from Keim and Rivera.  If you have a different impression, that's cool.  I guess we will find out.  My bet it nope they aren't dumping Allen or Heinicke for any QB outside of the first round.  I do think if there is a surprise faller like lets say Fields is within range of their pick -- that's a different story.  Rovera showed some pessimism though on the draft by saying if there are QBs they like, its very likely other teams picking ahead of them like them too.   If anything Rivera came off to me in his last press conference somewhat pessmistic on the QB front.

To add to this if Mond is there in the 3rd round I could see them drafting him.  There is a way to manipulate 4 QBs with the PUP.  It can be done but yes of all the QBs that Rivera "Fitzpatrick" was who we thought it was and I'm glad they have him on the team.  He will work and teach the other younger QBs well and they will also have fun doing it.  Perfect vet QB for this team!  Great job RR and Co.  So far your batting a .1000. :)

Now let's get a JuJu or Samuel to complement Terry and the best TE available at this time now, Everett.  :)

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Trading back for 2022 draft capital is perfect.

Even if its not for the 2022 draft, we can trade perhaps for a veteran, then.  I get the find a franchise QB spirit but clearly its not that easy.  This year I don't don't want to trade multiple picks for Darnold.  Who else is on the market?  we don't have the trade capital for Watson or Wilson.  Maybe next year we will. 

• Like 2

I am on board with Fitzmagic, 100%.  But like I’ve mentioned before go into it with eyes open and the truth.

Last season his first 6 games he was 3-3

Threw 10 TD’s and 7 ints

Took 10 Sacks and only had 1 fumble.

His first game he threw 3 Ints and 0 TD’s. 
The next game he threw for 328 and 2 TD’s 0 Ints in a Loss.

He did have Tua behind him this year, so that’s different than last year 2019.

where He started 14 games, they started 0-7

(he missed 2 of the first 4 games to injury I’d imagine) and ended 5-4.

3500 yds 20 TD’s 13 Ints. Team finished 5-11.

Miami was building, they didn’t give him a lot to work with.  I’m tempering my expectations slightly and hoping and rooting for him to kill it!

AFE25003-29C2-492F-8646-3E5E9118D384.jpeg

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

In that case, why sign Fitz to just a 1 year deal? Do you think RR believes they can win the SB with Fitz this season? I'd love the optimism but I think the chances are incredibly slim. It sounds like they're basically just blindly kicking the can down the road. I like the Fitz signing but I'd hope they have some plan for the future beyond him, especially given that they only signed him for a year (though it's always possible that Fitz only wanted a 1 year contract).

I'm gonna say this.  You see my 2021 NFL Draft Wish List.  I am on Mac Jones at #19 and will hold my position through the draft on him at #19.  IF we pass on Jones, I'd like to see Mond in the 3rd round with our 1st pick in that round.  

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Pick a really high-rated QB, who dropped rounds, only because of an injury concern ? Then, PUP you go !

That would be ideal, if one fits that profile.

I don't know a whole lot but give my opinions and they can be way off but it was a thought and glad you liked it.  My buddy, SIP I know is not keen on it.  LOL

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

To add to this if Mond is there in the 3rd round I could see them drafting him.  There is a way to manipulate 4 QBs with the PUP.  It can be done but yes of all the QBs that Rivera "Fitzpatrick" was who we thought it was and I'm glad they have him on the team.  He will work and teach the other younger QBs well and they will also have fun doing it.  Perfect vet QB for this team!  Great job RR and Co.  So far your batting a .1000. :)

The impression I get is they aren't sure about Heinicke and Allen but lean more that they are high end back ups.  It's not my stubborn personal theory as to how they will approach the draft but its something I've heard multiple times for those who cover this team which is if they sign a veteran they aren't getting rid of Allen or Heinicke to draft some dude outside the first.  The game changer would be if some QB surprisingly falls to their pick or close to it where they can trade up.

If now that they signed Fitzpatrick that attitude changed and they are ready to dump Heinicke or Allen for some young pup outside the first round and they say it on a podcast, I'll repeat it here.

Personally, I think it would be dumb for them to draft someone outside the first unless they think the dude is a total steal and deserves to be drafted higher.  This draft is loaded with LBs, WRs, OTs -- I think it would be odd to sacrafice addressing a key need for some QB flier type outside the first round.  Instead like Keim suggested build draft capital for 2022. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if its not for the 2022 draft, we can trade perhaps for a veteran, then.  I get the find a franchise QB spirit but clearly its not that easy.  This year I don't don't want to trade multiple picks for Darnold.  Who else is on the market?  we don't have the trade capital for Watson or Wilson.  Maybe next year we will. 

The script has been written on getting in on QB deals and it's multiple picks.  That's one new way to do it without overpaying and sacrificing your cap.  Building up the savings for a high ticket item could be a plan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Adding Fitz should grab the attention of the available field stretching WR's.

Makes Golladay more intriguing.  Contested catches.  Alex and even to an extent Kirk were gun shy to throw 50-50 balls.  Fitzpatrick on the other hand will let it fly.  Golladay is one of the best contested catch guys in the league.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The impression I get is they aren't sure about Heinicke and Allen but lean more that they are high end back ups.  It's not my stubborn personal theory as to how they will approach the draft but its something I've heard multiple times for those who cover this team which is if they sign a veteran they aren't getting rid of Allen or Heinicke to draft some dude outside the first.  The game changer would be if some QB surprisingly falls to their pick or close to it where they can trade up.

If now that they signed Fitzpatrick that attitude changed and they are ready to dump Heinicke or Allen for some young pup outside the first round and they say it on a podcast, I'll repeat it here.

Personally, I think it would be dumb for them to draft someone outside the first unless they think the dude is a total steal and deserves to be drafted higher.  This draft is loaded with LBs, WRs, OTs -- I think it would be odd to sacrafice addressing a key need for some QB flier type outside the first round.  Instead like Keim suggested build draft capital for 2022. 

I understand. :)  That's why I'm on the Mac Jones train at #19.  Never got off of it and won't.  :)  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I

Miami was building, they didn’t give him a lot to work with.  I’m tempering my expectations slightly and hoping and rooting for him to kill it!

Miami's offense was worse than ours.  Only reason why it wasn't ranked lower than us was ironically Fitz himself.  Their receivers are "meh".  One of the worst pass blocking O lines in the NFL, ranked almost dead last.  Mediocre running game.

If we add a receiver, this team is Shangra La compared to what he was used to in Miami. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I understand. :)  That's why I'm on the Mac Jones train at #19.  Never got off of it and won't.  :)  

I don't know if they like Mac.  Sheehan says he does know they like Fields.  Keim among others have said they will not trade the farm to trade up in the draft.  But its been suggested they might shoot for a dude if he surprisingly drops.  Rivera himself sounded pessimistc that something like that happens on the draft day during his last press conference. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Makes Golladay more intriguing.  Contested catches.  Alex and even to an extent Kirk were gun shy to throw 50-50 balls.  Fitzpatrick on the other hand will let it fly.  Golladay is one of the best contested catch guys in the league.  

And with contested catches you think perhaps another good TE...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Like I was saying add Everett with Golladay.  Look out!

Yes Sir! :)  Who knows SIP.  If he likes it here he might extend for another year.  Hoping so.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I'd want a TE, regardless.    Fitz has balls and will throw it down the field so for me dudes who can stretch the field and can win 50-50 contested throws. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'd want a TE, regardless.    Fitz has balls and will throw it down the field so for me dudes who can stretch the field and can win 50-50 balls. 

Give me Fuller and Henry and I'm as thrilled as it gets.  And a slot in the draft.

• Like 2

I'd want a TE, regardless.    Fitz has balls and will throw it down the field so for me dudes who can stretch the field and can win 50-50 contested throws. 

Like to see Everett added plus a good one in the draft.  Multiple TEs play into Turner's O.

24 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This is where I'm at.   Happy about the Fitzmagic signing given what's out there, but still think there is a decent chance we draft a QB.  Maybe not in the first round, unless they like someone like Trey Lance and he happens to fall to them at 19, but I could see someone who flashes but is inconsistent like Mond being picked up with one of our 3rd rounders.  I agree with others that we are unlikely to get a franchise defining QB anytime soon based on our draft position this year, and probably next year, but if you think you can get a good game manager who can give you average QB play for the next few years with say a 3rd round pick I think they do it and let the rookie sit for a year behind Fitz.  Better to have an average game manager type QB on a rookie deal than one eating up more cap space.