Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

Not much of an upgrade to what we already have.

I understand cautious Heinicke hope and that Fitzpatrick is very up and down, but you must not watch very many other teams if you don’t think he’s an upgrade to what we have in-house. Yes it’s short term. Yes it’s likely to flame out spectacularly. But it’s delusional to not see that he’s way better right now than what we have, unless the younger guys grow a lot, and we have most of a playoff defense whose contracts are just ticking away.

13 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Stability? This guy is like the foster child QB of the NFL with wildly inconsistent games. 

Comparably Heiny was in a statistics class last Fall.  

Fitzy has started 148 more games than Allen.  Besides magic his other nickname is the Amish Rifle.  Love it!!

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So what in the world is their plan for the future then? They sign Fitz to a 1 year deal, then they have 2 mediocre UDFAs under contract who have both shown flashes, but it's unlikely that one of them is suddenly going to become a top franchise QB. What do they do next season? Extend Fitz? Hope they can trade for a top QB? Hope they have a higher draft pick?

They have the 19th pick in the draft.  It is what it is.  Deal with the future next year.  I don't like the idea of likely throwing a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder in the trash for some QB flier just for the sake of saying we got a young guy on the roster.  And from what I've gathered from beat guys who cover the team, if they sign a veteran FA they don't draft someone like Trask or Mond or whomever in the later rounds -- and i think that's smart.

They have a really good defense now.  they can make it even better.  You add a WR or two -- they can IMO win some games now.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I understand cautious Heinicke hope and that Fitzpatrick is very up and down, but you must not watch very many other teams if you don’t think he’s an upgrade to what we have in-house. Yes it’s short term. Yes it’s likely to flame out spectacularly. But it’s delusional to not see that he’s way better right now than what we have, unless the younger guys grow a lot, and we have most of a playoff defense whose contracts are just ticking away.

As usual, we agree.

I'm legit excited for next season.  It's gonna be wild, rocky, and above all, incredible fun to watch.  And when the Fitz train starts sputtering, Taylor will come in and reinvigorate the base.  Amd when Taylor gets hurt 3 quarters later, Fitz will shotgun a beer, coming sprinting off the sidelines and lead us to an epic 4th quarter comeback in Dallas.  It's gonna be amazing!!

Really though, said awhile ago I thought this was the best we can do so cannot complain one bit.  We can compete for the East and maybe win a playoff game...that's the ceiling.  Could be worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, RabidFan said:

Comparably Heiny was in a statistics class last Fall.  

Fitzy has started 148 more games than Allen.  Besides magic his other nickname is the Amish Rifle.  Love it!!

Sorry but a 1 year stop gap on his 9th team in sixteen years isn’t stability, no matter how you slice it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Taylor Heinicke, when he learned that our offseason QB addition(s), will likely just consist of Fitzpatrick.

grin GIF

Definitely. He gets to sit back and make $1.5 million to hold a clipboard after being on the street this time last season. Sounds like a sweet deal and no injury risk.

Edited by mistertim

Part of my sell on Fitz is I actually think he was a good QB last season.  I don't see him as a half-and half Rex Grossman type.  He is oddly getting better.  Maybe his luck runs out now? 

I think there is more good and bad with the current version.  I've watched many of his Miami games including the crazy comeback against the Raiders.  I baked in the heat to watch the game against us the previous season where Rosen was struggiling -- Fitz came in and destoyed our defense in quick order and would have beaten us if not for that strange 2 point attempt to end the game.

He played last season with a crap offensive line, crap receivers, mediocre running game and had one of his best seasons and if he started all their games, Miami would have made the playoffs

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They have a really good defense now.  they can make it even better.  You add a WR or two -- they can IMO win some games now.  

I want CJ Mosley, Anthony Harris and Jaycee Horn. Sign Golladay and make those other moves happen. Mosley fixes our front 7. And it doesn't have to be Horn, but we need CB's, obviously. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

So what's the future plan at QB? Try again in 2021, hope we get lucky?  This is a clear, "we dont think we're gonna get our guy in 2020" move.  And I doubt they use anything better than a mid rd pick on a QB this year.

I think it could be smart to trade back in a class that’s deep in some areas where we need help, to acquire future trade capital to move up in the future for a QB since this clearly isn’t likely the year barring an unforeseen drop of a guy we like to within striking distance of 19. 

• Like 1

I'm ok with this. We all know Fitz's ups and downs, but his up is higher than any other up we've had in a while.

He also is a favorite among other players on each team he joins. Just look at how half the Miami teammates reacted when they benched him this past year.

Edited by Rocket442Olds
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So what's the future plan at QB? Try again in 2021, hope we get lucky?  This is a clear, "we dont think we're gonna get our guy in 2020" move.  And I doubt they use anything better than a mid rd pick on a QB this year.

Yeah.  The thing is they’re kinda stuck. They tried for Stafford. But all the other options are so “meh” 

But they’ve got to get somebody at some point. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They have the 19th pick in the draft.  It is what it is.  Deal with the future next year.  I don't like the idea of likely throwing a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder in the trash for some QB flier just for the sake of saying we got a young guy on the roster.  And from what I've gathered from beat guys who cover the team, if they sign a veteran FA they don't draft someone like Trask or Mond or whomever in the later rounds -- and i think that's smart.

See, this just doesn't sound like RR and this FO to me. They've openly said they're looking for a long term answer at QB. I have a hard time seeing their strategy as "just shrug and worry about next season next season". They must have some sort of idea about how they're going to address the position beyond this season and they clearly don't really think Allen or Heinicke is "the guy".

And let's be realistic...it's not like we're going to the SB this year.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

See, this just doesn't sound like RR and this FO to me. They've openly said they're looking for a long term answer at QB. I have a hard time seeing their strategy as "just shrug and worry about next season next season". They must have some sort of idea about how they're going to address the position beyond this season and they clearly don't really think Allen or Heinicke is "the guy".

And let's be realistic...it's not like we're going to the SB this year.

At this rate we’re on pace to never win one again.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what some of the reporters have said if they sign a veteran don't expect them to take a flier in the draft, too.  They are unlikely going to dump Allen or Heinicke.  Speaking for myself, I'd think they'd be stupid to take a QB in the draft unless there is some surprise faller to 19.

Yes, that seems like the plan.

Just sit tight at 19. And if by some draft miracle, one of the elite QB's falls there, then take him.

Otherwise, take BPA. And build with some weapons for the QB.

And then figure, at least by the law of averages, or some kind of positive-sounding football law, that between 3 QB's who hover around the "average" realm, there HAS to be just ONE that will stand out in camp, and take the reigns, right ?