Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Feels weird, but I'm content with the lack of action we've had in FA.  Haven't chased after middling guys who don't really change the W/L dynamic.  They've been cautious.  I like that.  They also talked about swinging big in FA after 2 guys, and so far we haven't been linked to anyone.  Not happy with zero aggression.  I liked the idea of focused aggression surrounded by savvier moves.

I'm in the "roll with Heinicke" camp.  I don't think Winston, Trubisky, etc etc change anything with this team, or attract any free agents either.  There's a good chance Heinicke is the same as those guys, with a small chance that he's better.  He certainly reads the field quickly and accurately.

Losing Darby hurts.  But I get the concept of replacing him with someone younger.  Darby isn't exactly good against the run, or good at causing turnovers.  I'd like us to give an extension to Jon Allen though.  Put some of that Darby money towards him and help lock up the DL.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Feels weird, but I'm content with the lack of action we've had in FA.  Haven't chased after middling guys who don't really change the W/L dynamic.  They've been cautious.  I like that.  They also talked about swinging big in FA after 2 guys, and so far we haven't been linked to anyone.  Not happy with zero aggression.  I liked the idea of focused aggression surrounded by savvier moves.

I'm in the "roll with Heinicke" camp.  I don't think Winston, Trubisky, etc etc change anything with this team, or attract any free agents either.  There's a good chance Heinicke is the same as those guys, with a small chance that he's better.  He certainly reads the field quickly and accurately.

Losing Darby hurts.  But I get the concept of replacing him with someone younger.  Darby isn't exactly good against the run, or good at causing turnovers.  I'd like us to give an extension to Jon Allen though.  Put some of that Darby money towards him and help lock up the DL.

I agree with all of this.  I do think there’s a good chance CB is the selection @ 19.  Also, I’d rather lock up Allen then to spend that money carelessly this off-season and push it off.

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Eh, Golladay also had a QB with a cannon arm that let him take those kinds of gunslinger risks with more reward. Heinicke seems to have some of the mentality but doesn't have the arm talent for it. 

We might need the Heinicke hive to invade twitter to talk these WRs into coming here. 😀

If I had to guess, they've been in some bidding wars that they lost but still working it.  I still think money talks but they likely have to outbid the competition

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think if we don't get a new FA, Allen will be our QB this year if he's healthy. He was playing well before he got hurt and Rivera has always liked him and traded a pick for him. Heinicke will get a shot and get to compete for the job but I'm guessing it will be an uphill climb.

Maybe it's because I'm from Philly and embrace the "no one likes us and we don't care" attitude, while beating people, but I'm fine with a slow start.

I want to sign a great FS and Draft a LBer high as possible. Maybe 2 back to back. 

Heinicke likes Sims as a WR2. Slot is dripping in this draft. 

I'd love Holliday (spelled with a G) like everyone else, but it's not the end of the world.

Darby kind of hurts, but if we get a real bad ass FS which has been my biggest want since ST21 (and even then) then I'm not worried as much as the rest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think if we don't get a new FA, Allen will be our QB this year if he's healthy. He was playing well before he got hurt and Rivera has always liked him and traded a pick for him. Heinicke will get a shot and get to compete for the job but I'm guessing it will be an uphill climb.

I think they're going into camp in a dead heat battle...and Heiny is gonna win it. Allen may actually have the uphill battle coming off the injury. This Heinicke kid is very intriguing....he has balls as big as church bells. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Allen and Heinicke can ping pong off the IR with each other all year and I bet we win doing it, while a 3rd round QB learns.

• Like 1

Darby allowing the 2nd most yards in the NFL on the deep pass but at the same time forcing the most incompletions of any CB in the NFL shows me he was potentially heavily helped by our DL. Knowing you dont have to cover WRs for 4+ seconds probably does wonders for the mind. 

Dude gave up the big play too often and got smoked by Tampa. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe it's because I'm from Philly and embrace the "no one likes us and we don't care" attitude, while beating people, but I'm fine with a slow start.

I want to sign a great FS and Draft a LBer high as possible. Maybe 2 back to back. 

Heinicke likes Sims as a WR2. Slot is dripping in this draft. 

I'd love Holliday (spelled with a G) like everyone else, but it's not the end of the world.

Darby kind of hurts, but if we get a real bad ass FS which has been my biggest want since ST21 (and even then) then I'm not worried as much as the rest.

I am ok with the slow start but for a different reason.  Most of the targets I like are still available.  I am totally chilled.  I got little doubt they will land some good targets.  Will see. 

I do think if we return with the QBs we have and the receiving corp we got -- we will go probably 6-10.  But i think they will figure a few things out.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with the slow start but for a different reason.  Most of the targets I like are still available.  I am totally chilled.  I got little doubt they will land some good targets.  Will see. 

I do think if we return with the QBs we have and the receiving corp we got -- we will go probably 6-10.  But i think they will figure a few things out.  

We could still win our division with that record. :ols:

• Haha 1

Still, Washington needs a WR.

The good news? Plenty remain available (at least as of post time).

Kenny Golladay, Curtis Samuel, JuJu Smith Schuster and Will Fuller are all still on the market. A veteran like Emmanuel Sanders or a speedster like John Brown. Marvin Jones. DeDe Westbrook. There are lots of names and lots of variety. Wide receiver remains a position with plenty to pick from, and that's not even including the type of pass-catching tight ends still available, headlined by Hunter Henry. 

Washington fans want big swings, and they're not wrong. 

The team won the NFC East last season despite a moribund offense and with some upgrades at key positions, maybe an improved offense could change the arc of the 2021 season. 

The biggest problem, however, remains quarterback. 

And free agency was never going to fix the QB spot. 

The free agent quarterbacks that are available are not franchise changers. They're a collection of band-aids and lottery tickets. 

Fixing QB likely will require a trade or a draft pick - maybe both - or extreme and rapid development from Kyle Allen or Taylor Heinicke. None of these fixes will be easy.

Last year Washington's marquee free agent move came by signing Kendall Fuller to a four-year, $40 million deal. That didn't happen immediately either, but it still happened fast, late on the first night of the tampering period. 

New England has gone on an absolute spending spree to open free agency. The Jets are spending too. 

Washington hasn't really done anything, save for a franchise tag on Brandon Scherff and a new deal for their kicker. 

The odds are overwhelming that will change and moves are coming. 

If most of that 12 M for Winston is in incentives that would be a mind-numbingly bad contract for him to take. There are several teams that would have given him a multi-year deal with more in the way of insured money.

Seriously, there is betting on yourself and then there is challenging the grim reaper to an arm wrestling match. Winston had a better set up than anybody to lock down a nice chunk of G money this offseason. Dude is letting it all ride to get in on that 2022 expanded cap. 

I'm shocked he re-upped. They lost/cut so many players including his leading WR, TE and Olinemen. I hope Kamara's knees are ready cuz that dude is going to have to carry some serious weight. 

I'm not confident enough in Winston's ability to say he shouldn't have taken the money in front of him. Can't say he lacks confidence now.

props to the saints for reeling him back in, even after he got to talk to other teams which is the most amazing part. They might have to move someone else b/c of this tho.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've been "patient" to land big name WR's for decades and patience hasn't gotten us anywhere

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had to guess, they've been in some bidding wars that they lost but still working it.  I still think money talks but they likely have to outbid the competition

Jordan never disappoints with Breaking News.

"Maybe this will happen. Maybe it will not"

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

I  really like that we are not throwing money to every FA like people would love on facebook pages. I still believe in Riveira and i think he's gonna get us the best squad possible and without overpaying. I want playmakers that don't cost an arm or a leg (I.E. McKissic). I'd be habby with a WR who can get us 600-700 yards and a QB  wich would stenghen our Bench. I'd like to have a go with Heinicke and Allen, maybe a Trubisky if it is not that expensive. I'm happy that we don't go for the big name and splashes, we did in the past and it didn't pay at all. Let's play it wise. For the first time in years, i'm kinda hyped for next year, it feel good! Next bonus would be Dan Snyder demise, but well... ;)

Edited by Partag