Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

19 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

If most of that 12 M for Winston is in incentives that would be a mind-numbingly bad contract for him to take. There are several teams that would have given him a multi-year deal with more in the way of insured money.

Seriously, there is betting on yourself and then there is challenging the grim reaper to an arm wrestling match. Winston had a better set up than anybody to lock down a nice chunk of G money this offseason. Dude is letting it all ride to get in on that 2022 expanded cap. 

I'm shocked he re-upped. They lost/cut so many players including his leading WR, TE and Olinemen. I hope Kamara's knees are ready cuz that dude is going to have to carry some serious weight. 

I'm not confident enough in Winston's ability to say he shouldn't have taken the money in front of him. Can't say he lacks confidence now.

props to the saints for reeling him back in, even after he got to talk to other teams which is the most amazing part. They might have to move someone else b/c of this tho.

I think you underestimate the Sean Peyton factor. Winston just needs to beat out or wait out a 30-year old gadget player who can half fake being a QB for a game or two at a time? And he gets to learn under and possibly impress one of the greatest offensive minds in the NFL as he works to show he can be their next franchise guy, after they liked him enough to want a year two? That’s not a team that wants to ever rebuild or start over at QB post-Brees, they are DYING to believe a shortcut is possible and have rolled the dice on two attempts at once.

I think if anything this shows that Winston’s career-related decision making ability at least is intact and firing on all cylinders, this is the type of move a talented but once-discarded passer should make, but rarely does—value the situation over the immediate paycheck. Peyton’s loyalty and belief can get him much further than a slightly bigger/longer/safer contract with a worse team and likely worse offense. He’s playing the longer game and it’s smart imo, Taysom Hill is not the franchise. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We've been "patient" to land big name WR's for decades and patience hasn't gotten us anywhere

I don't think this is fair. Washington has been pretty strong at receiver several times over the last decade. Garcon and Moss were a great combo. Desean Jackson was no slouch. McLaurin looks to be a star. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

If most of that 12 M for Winston is in incentives that would be a mind-numbingly bad contract for him to take. There are several teams that would have given him a multi-year deal with more in the way of insured money.

Seriously, there is betting on yourself and then there is challenging the grim reaper to an arm wrestling match. Winston had a better set up than anybody to lock down a nice chunk of G money this offseason. Dude is letting it all ride to get in on that 2022 expanded cap. 

I'm shocked he re-upped. They lost/cut so many players including his leading WR, TE and Olinemen. I hope Kamara's knees are ready cuz that dude is going to have to carry some serious weight. 

I'm not confident enough in Winston's ability to say he shouldn't have taken the money in front of him. Can't say he lacks confidence now.

props to the saints for reeling him back in, even after he got to talk to other teams which is the most amazing part. They might have to move someone else b/c of this tho.

Who's going to give Winston more money or a better opportunity? He got little money last offseason, then rode the bench when Brees was hurt. I think your value of him and the league's value are vastly different.

• Like 1

I hope they don’t feel pressure to make something happen just for the sake of making it happen. Do your thing Ron. Y’all have a plan, stick to it. We need pieces added for sure, the timing is less relevant if you still get what you need/want. 

With all that said, I will say that this approach would be more well received if they got Scherff signed long term and started extending guys like Allen. FA would be a none issue really. These alligator arms with your own free agents and slow playing yourself right out of advantageous windows to make moves is what is extra agitating. Patience CK patience..it’s tough. 

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think you underestimate the Sean Peyton factor. Winston just needs to beat out or wait out a 30-year old gadget player who can half fake being a QB for a game or two at a time? And he gets to learn under and possibly impress one of the greatest offensive minds in the NFL as he works to show he can be their next franchise guy, after they liked him enough to want a year two? That’s not a team that wants to ever rebuild or start over at QB post-Brees, they are DYING to believe a shortcut is possible and have rolled the dice on two attempts at once.

I think if anything this shows that Winston’s career-related decision making ability at least is intact and firing on all cylinders, this is the type of move a talented but once-discarded passer should make, but rarely does—value the situation over the immediate paycheck. Peyton’s loyalty and belief can get him much further than a slightly bigger/longer/safer contract with a worse team and likely worse offense. He’s playing the longer game and it’s smart imo, Taysom Hill is not the franchise. 

You are correct, he see’s the opportunity. The Saints bought themselves that by bringing him in last year. It’s very possible Winston turned down more money to stay in NO, likely in fact. If so I’m sure it’ll come out. 

Sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that the Chicago Bears were serious suitors for Winston in Monday's free-agency process before he picked the Saints.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't think this is fair. Washington has been pretty strong at receiver several times over the last decade. Garcon and Moss were a great combo. Desean Jackson was no slouch. McLaurin looks to be a star. 

I'll give you Garcon and DJax.

But technically Moss and McLaurin don't count, since the subject was specifically "landing big-name Free Agents" and they don't fit the definition.

Peanuts for Winston. Damn. I’m sure they told him, look, this is what we have. Can you make this work till next year? I’d imagine the bears have to have offered significantly more.
Looks like we weren’t in the mix, so, no biggie. Unless it turns out we shoulda been all over it. Time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I was very barfy about last year’s class as well. I’m reserving judgment for at least a couple of weeks even if I’m bored with the lack of action

It we're honest, noone expected much out of the Logan Thomases, and the McKissics, so it's way too early to judge our FA acquisitions

I've been drawn in, hoping Washington lands a few new talented players.  But I'm also hoping Washington doesn't fall back into old pattern of grossly overpaying for some flashy free-agent signing, just to allow Snyder his new marketing tool to lure back  fans.  I've seen that happen before with the costly acquisitions of Collins, Haynesworth, Norman, Smith, and McNabb and even drafting RG3.  Sometimes it's just bringing in a new "marquee-namen head Coach (Gruden, Shanahan, etc).  So, I anticipate with concern, hat Washington will likely do another over-spend on either a free-agent wide receiver, or a costly free agent QB. 

Frankly, Washington is still at least a year away from the "Future is Now" -- So it just needs to stay the course and keep building patiently through the draft and through patching in reasonably priced free agents, while retaining select top-tier talent who are showing that they contribute to the emerging "competitor/winning team" mindset that Rivera and Del Rio have worked so hard to culivate. The front office should start deciding ,by a player's third year, whether to keep that player long term with contract extensions, and whether they need to be traded for some other high-potential players of positional need, or just traded for draft capital,.... before that 3rd-year player winds up leaving Washington as a free agent.  (For examp!e, decisions need to be made about Payne and Settle, before it's too late... and the FO winds up with another Scherff-like dilemma.). Also the FO needs to be prepared to trade aging starters, before they lose all their trade value.

I hope Washington's front office stays the course, and keeps improving the team's foundation of quality players, and adopts the tactic of replenishing their roster with young, reasonably priced talent to replace those that which got traded before they hit their second, more costly, contract. Once the foundation is solid enough, t-h-e-n, take the plunge on a 'difference-maker' at QB plus WR or RB -- especially since the cap will likely be raised and thus allowing Washington to spend more heavily in order to boost its chances for a playoff berth.

Edited by Wyvern

11 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Peanuts for Winston. Damn. I’m sure they told him, look, this is what we have. Can you make this work till next year? I’d imagine the bears have to have offered significantly more.
Looks like we weren’t in the mix, so, no biggie. Unless it turns out we shoulda been all over it. Time will tell. 

I guess we'll never really know what Chicago offered (if anything), but I suspect it wasn't much different, if not worse. The league is not valuing Winston that highly. But if you're picking between New Orleans and Chicago, I'd think anything close would mean New Orleans. And Winston still might not start

• Like 1