Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

4 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Are telemarketers even a problem anymore? My phone stays on vibrate, and if I don't know your number it goes to voicemail anyway.

Besides, all the GOP has to do is get the word out that telemarketers represent good American values. Jesus was the first telemarketer, they'll enthusiastically remind us. And liberals hate telemarketers, by the way. Boom, instant support.

In the last 35 minutes I have received 12 phone calls to my cell phone.  From 12 different fake caller ID numbers.  6 of the calls pretend to be from the same area code and exchange as my phone.  

Same computer-generated voing in all 12 calls.  "This is (different company every time)..  We have detected fraudulant activity on your account.  Please press 1 to be connected to our customer care representative."  

13 calls.  

This is an interstate (probably international) organized criminal operation.  Which has access to the US telephone network. Access to technology (false caller ID) which should not be possible to begin with.  Which is operating by taking credit cards.  Which means there is a paper trail generated every time they successfully find a sucker.  

By now, even if this operation started only a half hour ago, the credit card companies know that this operation is perpetrating systemic fraud to steal from people.  

14 calls.  

Federal law states that I am not liable for fraudulent changes on my credit card.  the credit card companies know that this "merchant" is an operation entirely based of fraud.  And will refuse to reverse the charges.  Among other reasons, because the credit card companies are profiting from the fraud.  

15 calls.  

Edited by Larry

Don't get me wrong, I get them (though not that many) but it doesn't bother me.

That said, it is a nuisance. I just don't think there's anything that will override the GOP's ability to spook the rank and file with the word liberal.

31 minutes ago, Larry said:

In the last 35 minutes I have received 12 phone calls to my cell phone.  From 12 different fake caller ID numbers.  6 of the calls pretend to be from the same area code and exchange as my phone.  

Same computer-generated voing in all 12 calls.  "This is (different company every time)..  We have detected fraudulant activity on your account.  Please press 1 to be connected to our customer care representative."  

13 calls.  

This is an interstate (probably international) organized criminal operation.  Which has access to the US telephone network. Access to technology (false caller ID) which should not be possible to begin with.  Which is operating by taking credit cards.  Which means there is a paper trail generated every time they successfully find a sucker.  

By now, even if this operation started only a half hour ago, the credit card companies know that this operation is perpetrating systemic fraud to steal from people.  

14 calls.  

Federal law states that I am not liable for fraudulent changes on my credit card.  the credit card companies know that this "merchant" is an operation entirely based of fraud.  And will refuse to reverse the charges.  Among other reasons, because the credit card companies are profiting from the fraud.  

15 calls.  

That’s ridiculous.  I’ve been getting a whole bunch myself for a while now - I basically don’t answer my phone anymore unless it’s someone I know.  Annoying as hell.

• Like 1

Also we have Google Fi for our cell service and they automatically filter a lot of spam calls for us. It happens so naturally that I forgot about it. That probably plays into my nonchalance about the whole thing as well.

Biden suspends oil leases in Alaska's Arctic refuge

The Biden administration on Tuesday suspended oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, reversing a drilling program approved by the Trump administration and reviving a political fight over a remote region that is home to polar bears and other wildlife — and a rich reserve of oil.

The order by Interior Secretary Deb Haaland follows a temporary moratorium on oil and gas lease activities imposed by President Joe Biden on his first day in office. Biden’s Jan. 20 executive order suggested a new environmental review was needed to address possible legal flaws in a drilling program approved by the Trump administration under a 2017 law enacted by Congress.

After conducting a required review, Interior said it “identified defects in the underlying record of decision supporting the leases, including the lack of analysis of a reasonable range of alternatives″ required under the National Environmental Policy Act, a bedrock environmental law.

The remote, 19.6 million-acre refuge is home to polar bears, caribou, snowy owls and other wildlife, including migrating birds from six continents. Republicans and the oil industry have long been trying to open up the oil-rich refuge, which is considered sacred by the Indigenous Gwich’in, for drilling. Democrats, environmental groups and some Alaska Native tribes have been trying to block it.

Environmental groups and Democrats cheered the Interior Department order, while Alaska’s all-Republican congressional delegation slammed it as misguided and illegal.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 3

I’m pretty much out of patience with Biden.

he’s delusional and living in a world that existed 30+ years ago. 

we only had 2 years to get this right and he’s content to let republicans run his presidency while democracy literally burns to ashes around him directly caused by the people he wants to be buddies with. 

be a leader and get your ****in people in line to do what needs to be done. If you don’t, it’s all over. He knows that but he seems fine with that as long as he gets to play nice and eat ice cream. 

• Like 1

What do people think anybody else would have done differently?

What is Biden supposed to do?

With the rules the way they are in the Senate (which he doesn't control) things are going to be grid locked.

16 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

be a leader and get your ****in people in line to do what needs to be done. If you don’t, it’s all over. He knows that but he seems fine with that as long as he gets to play nice and eat ice cream. 

How do you get Manchin in line?

There's no magic Manchin in line button.

(It seems more likely your living 30+ years ago where social media wasn't a thing and Manchin had to worry about the power of the party.  The organized political parties have less power than ever.  Being President is less significant than ever in terms of passing legislation.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Twitter is losing it's mind:

NSFW language:

Reveal hidden contents

Ask corporations whether they want the tax rate to go up to 28% or have an alternate minimum rate of 15%.  People are stupid.

10 hours ago, PeterMP said:

There's no magic Manchin in line button.

Put pressure on them to make critical votes. Fire the parliamentarian and make Manchin vote no on minimum wage increase. Make him vote no on the jobs plan through budget reconciliation. 

a large part of his power is that he can give his vote as he’s walking through a hallway to a reporter and it never comes up again. Challenge him. Make him uncomfortable and have to make these difficult votes and then go explain them to voters and let him live with that. 

Get him in a room ask what it will take. What pork does he want for WVA? I don’t think this has happened either. 

“Oh manchin said no, well I guess that’s the end of it. Goodbye any chance to improve people’s lives and goodbye democracy. We really fought hard for you” 

biden campaigned on reaching across the aisle to get votes. We knew it was delusional then but he can’t even get Dems on his side lol  

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’m pretty much out of patience with Biden.

he’s delusional and living in a world that existed 30+ years ago. 

we only had 2 years to get this right and he’s content to let republicans run his presidency while democracy literally burns to ashes around him directly caused by the people he wants to be buddies with. 

The only hope of getting Manchin to cave and bust the filibuster is for the GOP to keep saying no on everything. Otherwise, the Dems simply need to keep the house and win extra Senate seats in 2022. 

I dont know what else you want Biden to do other than make Manchin 'disappear'. He is legaly only capable of so much. Unless you want another President that is going to twist the government and break any rule they let him to get his way. And that guy was Burnie. Joe told you he wasnt going to be that guy from the jump and we elected him anyway. 

Biden is (very publicly) "offering" concessions on the Trump tax cuts because then he'll be able to say "I tried to give them a more-than-reasonable offer and they still would not get on board" when this massive bill goes to reconcilliation.  That gives Manchin cover to vote for it, and his vote is absolutely required.  He'll hem and haw for another 2 months and talk about bipartisanship, and everyone will get all bent out of shape, and then signal openness to voting for it after (very publicly) demanding changes to the bill to appease his voters, but I think there is a 60/40 chance that he ultimately votes for something pretty big.    

And make no mistake, this bill was ALWAYS going to reconcilliation.  There was never a world in which the GOP actually picked up Biden's offer and passed any spending bill through regular order.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Put pressure on them to make critical votes. Fire the parliamentarian and make Manchin vote no on minimum wage increase. Make him vote no on the jobs plan through budget reconciliation. 

a large part of his power is that he can give his vote as he’s walking through a hallway to a reporter and it never comes up again. Challenge him. Make him uncomfortable and have to make these difficult votes and then go explain them to voters and let him live with that. 

Get him in a room ask what it will take. What pork does he want for WVA? I don’t think this has happened either. 

“Oh manchin said no, well I guess that’s the end of it. Goodbye any chance to improve people’s lives and goodbye democracy. We really fought hard for you” 

biden campaigned on reaching across the aisle to get votes. We knew it was delusional then but he can’t even get Dems on his side lol  

Biden can't fire the parliamentarian.

Biden also can't bring things to the vote on the Senate floor.

You don't think they've talked to Manchin about what he wants for WVA?  Why do you think that?

(Politics is no longer local.  Politics is now national.  Manchin voters are no longer getting most of their news from local new sources (i.e. their local news paper).  They are getting their news from national news organizations (i.e. Fox News).  Good press at the local level doesn't matter as much.  So things like pork matter less now.  That's why you see state and even local officials running as things like Trump Republicans or Trump supporters.  That didn't happen in the past.

Thinking votes and elections can be "bought" easily with pork is an out of date way of thinking.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

I know reconciliation was the only chance it had of passing. I don’t really get needing political cover. They know republican voters live in fantasy land. No GOP voter is going to say “well they tried to make it bipartisan but us Rs blocked them so I guess I can’t fault them too much for pushing thru their Marxist communist radical green new deal based jobs plan that will destroy the country. Shucks” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I know reconciliation was the only chance it had of passing. I don’t really get needing political cover. They know republican voters live in fantasy land. No GOP voter is going to say “well they tried to make it bipartisan but us Rs blocked them so I guess I can’t fault them too much for pushing thru their Marxist communist radical green new deal based jobs plan that will destroy the country. Shucks” 

Manchin appears to disagree.  Maybe he's wrong.  Maybe he's not.  But it doesn't really matter.

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Biden can't fire the parliamentarian.

Biden also can't bring things to the vote on the Senate floor.

I know he can’t but he can support it and pressure Schumer to do it. 

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

You don't think they've talked to Manchin about what he wants for WVA?  Why do you think that?

I haven’t seen it reported anywhere. Sure not every conversation is reported but Manchin meeting with Biden and Dem leadership over something like this would likely make news. 

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Politics is no longer local.  Politics is now national.  Manchin voters are no longer getting most of their news from local new sources (i.e. their local news paper).  They are getting their news from national news organizations (i.e. Fox News).  Good press at the local level doesn't matter as much.  So things like pork matter less now.  That's why you see state and even local officials running as things like Trump Republicans or Trump supporters.  That didn't happen in the past.)

it would matter to the people that vote for him. If he is not concerned about them and it’s national press he is focused on, it’s even more confusing why he is neglecting the 40 million more Americans that as part of the Senate Dem majority he represents that want these things 

12 hours ago, PeterMP said:

By getting him to realize his re-election chances are probably toast and maybe he should get a grip on what’s happening and try to help fix it while he still has a chance?

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I know he can’t but he can support it and pressure Schumer to do it. 

I haven’t seen it reported anywhere. Sure not every conversation is reported but Manchin meeting with Biden and Dem leadership over something like this would likely make news. 

it would matter to the people that vote for him. If he is not concerned about them and it’s national press he is focused on, it’s even more confusing why he is neglecting the 40 million more Americans that as part of the Senate Dem majority he represents that want these things 

How do you know he's not?

(There are good reasons not to fire the parliamentarian, so I'm not sure he has.  But you seem to just be concluding that he hasn't.)

Well, they've met and it has been reported on.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/politics/biden-manchin-carper/index.html

I don't know what they talked about.

He's worried about the national press that the people that vote for him are consuming.  He doesn't care about the people in CA.