Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

3 hours ago, visionary said:

Part of me is sad this even needs to be said.  Part of me doesn’t like Biden saying what he will allow his Justice Department to do since they should be stand-alone without his intervention or direction.  Part of me doesn’t know what to say........

14 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Part of me is sad this even needs to be said.  Part of me doesn’t like Biden saying what he will allow his Justice Department to do since they should be stand-alone without his intervention or direction.  Part of me doesn’t know what to say........

IMO, he shouldn’t be at all involved in cases, policies are a different matter.  For example, changing policies regarding going after marijuana producers.  While I have concerns that this then allows a Prez to push terrible policies as well, I’m guessing this practice isn’t new (ie. Biden’s not doing anything unusual).  I could be wrong though.

35 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

IMO, he shouldn’t be at all involved in cases, policies are a different matter.  For example, changing policies regarding going after marijuana producers.  While I have concerns that this then allows a Prez to push terrible policies as well, I’m guessing this practice isn’t new (ie. Biden’s not doing anything unusual).  I could be wrong though.

I didn’t agree when Obama directed policy of going after marijuana either.  If you want it to be decriminalized, he should have lobbied to get the laws changed, not just ignoring the laws.

*Note:  I am pro-legalization of marijuana, I just think it needs to be done correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I didn’t agree when Obama directed policy of going after marijuana either.  If you want it to be decriminalized, he should have lobbied to get the laws changed, not just ignoring the laws.

*Note:  I am pro-legalization of marijuana, I just think it needs to be done correctly.

That’s fair I guess, I was just drawing a distinction between interfering in cases vs policy.  I think the former is what Biden was referring to and I think it’s the area the WH typically stays out of.

As to the marijuana policy specifically, I agree that congress should be addressing such issues, but with the hyper partisanship/obstruction, it becomes an obvious recourse for an administration when it has broad public support.  Ironically, it’s also giving more power to the states, something you’d think the GOP would support.  

17 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think he was asked the question in light of Trumps DoJ doing it. Biden can’t really decline to answer that question and the answer is obvious, so while I agree that any POTUS should be pretty far removed from the DoJ, in this case it’s pretty harmless (and yes, very sad it even needs to be asked and answered). 

• Like 2

Just observing.  

Skippy the Turtle is informing Republican Senators, that coming together in a bipartisan manner, in response to an event which has not happened in the US since the Brottish Army did it in 1812, would hurt their Party's intended message.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just observing.  

Skippy the Turtle is informing Republican Senators, that coming together in a bipartisan manner, in response to an event which has not happened in the US since the Brottish Army did it in 1812, would hurt their Party's intended message.  

DD4C6B39-C5FD-4788-90E2-50AB2E986830.thumb.jpeg.ba457babe9a9434156383a23325388a1.jpeg

The Brottish Army, preparing to attack the American Capitol, shows off their discipline with a tight formation.

Edited by skinny21
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Joe Manchin is delusional. He really believes Republicans will do the right things when the time comes. Dude is just about as useless as they get. Why is he even in the Democratic Party?

Or he thinks that losing this bill is better than getting rid of the filibuster.  

I agree with him.  

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Joe Manchin is delusional. He really believes Republicans will do the right things when the time comes. Dude is just about as useless as they get. Why is he even in the Democratic Party?

He doesn’t believe Republicans will do the right thing. He’s a Democrat (sorta) in a state that is like 80% Trump voters. He’s walking a tightrope. 

The fact that Dems have someone from West Virginia that will vote with them 75% of the time is a ****ing miracle. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

He doesn’t believe Republicans will do the right thing. He’s a Democrat (sorta) in a state that is like 80% Trump voters. He’s walking a tightrope. 

The fact that Dems have someone from West Virginia that will vote with them 75% of the time is a ****ing miracle. 

Thing is though, he is on borrowed time.  It’s cute that he thinks he needs to make decisions based on how his constituents will react in the voting booth, but he’s not going to get re-elected in 2024.  I don’t care how popular he used to be in the state, he got less than 50% of the vote in 2018.  They’ll run that insurrectionist from the state house and he’ll smoke Manchin.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Thing is though, he is on borrowed time.  It’s cute that he thinks he needs to make decisions based on how his constituents will react in the voting booth, but he’s not going to get re-elected in 2024.  I don’t care how popular he used to be in the state, he got less than 50% of the vote in 2018.  They’ll run that insurrectionist from the state house and he’ll smoke Manchin.

I dunno, a lot of people in WV love some Uncle Joe Manchin (my wife’s family is in WV).  He could keep his job doing what he’s doing. 

9 hours ago, Larry said:

Just observing.  

Even though Mitch is evil, he's usually pretty intelligent about how he goes about things. This one, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense on his part. Just agree to the commission, most Americans won't watch or care. All he is doing is dragging it out.

36 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Even though Mitch is evil, he's usually pretty intelligent about how he goes about things. This one, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense on his part. Just agree to the commission, most Americans won't watch or care. All he is doing is dragging it out.

Well, considering some of his key members provide aide and comfort to the terrorists amd are up for reelection in 22; you can't have the truth come out in an election year.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:04 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Part of me thinks if Biden had a reason to direct them to do those things, he would. 

(sorry late to the game on this one I know)