Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In several years, when workers are replaced by robots (think about that, workers can be replaced by robots) we will know who creates more value.

The people that build, maintain, and teach those robots to dance?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952a28bdf844ac4908344

37 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

People aren’t rich because of mostly luck....

You sure about that? 🤭

Cassidy-Romney-Humiliation.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wonder which political ideology paid for those studies and that the thesis was that the study was designed to prove.

Empirical evidence is good enough for me.

So were millions of other people. Thousands went to that sane school. 

He is the one that made something.

So no you dont have any data.  You can't attack the results so you try to attack the motivations.  That is weak!

Thst Gates made something of it does not change the underlying fact that if he would have been born to a lower income in middle America or the US would have proactively and aggresively enforced its anti-trust laws he would likely not be where he is now.

Gates is smart, driven, and hard working.  But so are lots of other people.  And Gates isn't so special that he changed the world.  The PC/tech revolution was going to happen.  If it had not been Bill Gates, it would have been somebody else (or a combination of people) and we would be talking about them.

And now you are just making up numbers.  There were no comparable millions or thousands at that school in the same time frame as Gates. 

• Like 1

FYI - bill gates did not create ms-dos, which later went on to become windows

Ms-dos was also not the only thing going on at the time. 

bill gates did create BASIC which is a programming language which was for a long time rolled into a core of working with ms-dos and later Windows though became defunct probably 15ish years ago at least. 

ms-dos was created by a person named Tim Paterson. Ever heard of him?

I love and admire bill gates for many things including much of what he’s done with his wealth over the last decade. He’s invested heavily in overseas things like vaccinations and other health related items; I also believe things like access to water. I believe he is the founding member of a philanthropy group who’s core admission requirement is to dedicate away the vast majority of your wealth to causes other than passing it to your children. And for the people in the group it’s received some very positive reviews on the work it’s leading to. 

but bill gates did not turn Microsoft into what it was because he wrote an incredible operating system his peers didn’t have the foresight to do themselves

he turned Microsoft into what it was with great and cutthroat business decisions and great marketing/understanding of the market. All of which was benefited by the time in which he was born and the people with whom he was exposed. 

there were other operating systems at the time that were arguably better but lost out due to cutthroat business and marketing practices. 

and if you’ve follow tech throughout your life that’s a pretty common story for a lot of people that get credit for things they didn’t actually do, and most people don’t really know how it actually happened despite it being publicly available information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

there were other operating systems at the time that were arguably better but lost out due to cutthroat business and marketing practices. 

and if you’ve follow tech throughout your life that’s a pretty common story for a lot of people that get credit for things they didn’t actually do, and most people don’t really know how it actually happened despite it being publicly available information. 

He bought MSDOS for 50k. Also Xerox PARC was really the great innovator in desktop computing.  Xerox corporate just had zero idea of what they had in that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

He bought MSDOS for 50k. Also Xerox PARC was really the great innovator in desktop computing.  Xerox corporate just had zero idea of what they had in that.  

Thanks. I couldn't remember if it was Xerox or Hewlett-Packard. 🤦

Plus Gates had the backing of IBM way back when. The idea of the "self made man" is such a myth. Much like pulling ones self up by their "bootstraps". Fairy tale bull**** imo.

Bill gates is not Donald trump. He didn’t inherit his wealth or otherwise flat out luck into it. 

he’s a brilliant person and he’s done a lot of good as an individual. More than the vast majority of the rest of us ever will. 

but there is a general misunderstanding of how it all happened. 

and if you look at many big time tech firms you won’t find the core inventors at the top. You won’t find the brilliance they often get credit for. You’ll find people that were quality leaders, quality opportunists, and people who benefited greatly by where when and to whom they were born.

much like a quarterback gets way too much credit for the success or lack there of of the team, the public faces of tech companies relied on people below them to make what they reside over. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Bill gates is not Donald trump. He didn’t inherit his wealth or otherwise flat out luck into it. 

True. It just seems like for every Bill Gates or Henry Ford there are far more Trumps or Romneys. People basically born with massive wealth who then exploit the system to gain even more wealth. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

he’s a brilliant person and he’s done a lot of good as an individual. More than the vast majority of the rest of us ever will. 

but there is a general misunderstanding of how it all happened. 

and if you look at many big time tech firms you won’t find the core inventors at the top. You won’t find the brilliance they often get credit for. You’ll find people that were quality leaders, quality opportunists, and people who benefited greatly by where when and to whom they were born.

much like a quarterback gets way too much credit for the success or lack there of of the team, the public faces of tech companies relied on people below them to make what they reside over. 

To me recognizing the importance of an invention and foreseeing how that will play out in the future is really the key.  Gates or Jobs were not great inventors but due to the knowledge they had they could pick out great tech and then massage it and move it from the R&D room to the masses.  A brilliance not to be overlooked.  

17 minutes ago, clietas said:

True. It just seems like for every Bill Gates or Henry Ford there are far more Trumps or Romneys. People basically born with massive wealth who then exploit the system to gain even more wealth. 

Yeah if you are born to wealth your main job is not to go broke using any means necessary. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tshile said:

ya, celebrity culture. everybody wants an icon. i feel like Elon is the best example of this nowadays. used paypal $ (which was mostly other people's work) and an incredible amount of government subsidies to poach the best engineers in the world. he's great at marketing and has an amazing imagination, but both spacex and tesla were literally days from failing if it wasn't for EXTREME work conditions by the best engineers out. but yet, everyone praises Elon as this technological genius. 

gets really dangerous in a twitter world where people think that "genius" transfers to every other topic

• Like 3

*wife comes home yesterday*
wife: talked to my dad. Listened to a rant about how bread will be 10$ and gas is going over 3$ soon and taxes are going through the roof (they’re retired and make a fraction of 400k), and blah blah blah

me: did he mention the sex blimps?

wife: the what now?

me: hah nothing never mind

*wife come home tonight*

wife: I talked to him again and i asked him if he was angry at the sex blimps... we’re both confused wtf you’re talking about

me: don’t worry it’ll hit his news sources in a day or two. Ask next week if he doesn’t bring it up before then

wife: ok....

I’ll report back next week. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In several years, when workers are replaced by robots (think about that, workers can be replaced by robots) we will know who creates more value.

It’s still the workers. They’ll be fixing/correcting/tuning/cleaning the automated systems. McDonalds can’t even keep their ice cream machine from breaking and that’s not close to the level of sophistication needed to fully automate the order to delivery process. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

They're using $3 as the hyperbole for gas prices? Where do you live? I can't remember the last time gas was under $3

Virginia

my wife drives a car that requires 91 octane. She was like “... I didn’t have it in me to say ive already been paying over 3 for a while...”

but to you point it’s all bull****. It’s stereotypical “the Dems are in charge so it’s all going to hell” bull****. 

my parents/family and her parents/family won’t talk politics with me anymore because a couple of years ago I decided I was tired of it. 

and one by one I called them out and dressed them down in front of the rest of the family. 

and the only criticism I got was that it was disrespectful. Not that I was wrong - not that they were right - not that I didn’t act appropriately when listening to some of the worse nonsense and refusing to let it slide (and you know what I mean)

but that it was disrespectful to embarrass people in front of others, in their own home. 

so Im thankfully out of dealing with this **** first hand. 

Theyre scared to talk to me. They know they’re not on my level and I don’t give a **** about “being respectful” if I’m right. 

And honestly, you get away with a lot when ultimately you’re right. 

add:

To that point - I have not had a single conversation with any of them about what happened on 1/6/21.

I don’t dare ask because I know my only move is to run roughshod  on them if they say anything other than what we’ve all been saying about it. 

they don’t dare say a ****ing word cause they know it. It’s been months. Not a single word about it. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

It’s still the workers. They’ll be fixing/correcting/tuning/cleaning the automated systems. McDonalds can’t even keep their ice cream machine from breaking and that’s not close to the level of sophistication needed to fully automate the order to delivery process. 

And when robots and repair themselves though machine learning?

What then?

Sex Blimps?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

And when robots and repair themselves though machine learning?

What then?

Sex Blimps?

What is it you know about machine learning?

ive read a few books and taken two courses in it so don’t by shy.