Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

On 6/4/2021 at 12:12 AM, PeterMP said:

What do people think anybody else would have done differently?

What is Biden supposed to do?

With the rules the way they are in the Senate (which he doesn't control) things are going to be grid locked.

How do you get Manchin in line?

There's no magic Manchin in line button.

(It seems more likely your living 30+ years ago where social media wasn't a thing and Manchin had to worry about the power of the party.  The organized political parties have less power than ever.  Being President is less significant than ever in terms of passing legislation.)

Re: Manchin...

LEAKED AUDIO OF SEN. JOE MANCHIN CALL WITH BILLIONAIRE DONORS PROVIDES RARE GLIMPSE OF DEALMAKING ON FILIBUSTER AND JANUARY 6 COMMISSION

WEST VIRGINIA SEN. Joe Manchin, in a private call on Monday with a group of major donors, provided a revealing look at his political approach to the most thorny issues confronting lawmakers.

The remarks were given on a Zoom teleconference session that was obtained by The Intercept.

The meeting was hosted by the group No Labels, a big money operation co-founded by former Sen. Joe Lieberman that funnels high-net-worth donor money to conservative Democrats and moderate Republicans. Among the gathering’s newsworthy revelations: Manchin described an openness to filibuster reform at odds with his most recent position that will buoy some Democrats’ hopes for enacting their agenda.

The call included several billionaire investors and corporate executives, among them Louis Bacon, chief executive of Moore Capital Management; Kenneth D. Tuchman, founder of global outsourcing company TeleTech; and Howard Marks, the head of Oaktree Capital, one of the largest private equity firms in the country. The Zoom participant log included a dial-in from Tudor Investment Corporation, the hedge fund founded by billionaire Paul Tudor Jones. Also present was a roster of heavy-hitting political influencers, including Republican consultant Ron Christie and Lieberman, who serves as a representative of No Labels and now advises corporate interests.

The meeting was led by Nancy Jacobson, the co-founder of No Labels.

The wide-ranging conversation went into depth on the fate of the filibuster, infrastructure negotiations, and the failed effort to create a bipartisan commission to explore the January 6 storming of the U.S. Capitol, and offers a frank glimpse into the thinking of the conservative Democrat who holds the party’s fate in his hands.

Manchin told the assembled donors that he needed help flipping a handful of Republicans from no to yes on the January 6 commission in order to strip the “far left” of their best argument against the filibuster. The filibuster is a critical priority for the donors on the call, as it bottles up progressive legislation that would hit their bottom lines.

When it came to Sen. Roy Blunt, a moderate Missouri Republican who voted no on the commission, Manchin offered a creative solution. “Roy Blunt is a great, just a good friend of mine, a great guy,” Manchin said. “Roy is retiring. If some of you all who might be working with Roy in his next life could tell him, that’d be nice and it’d help our country. That would be very good to get him to change his vote. And we’re going to have another vote on this thing. That’ll give me one more shot at it.”

The commission, Manchin tells No Labels, is important in its own right, necessary to determine how security failed and what former President Donald Trump’s role was in the riot, if any. But it’s also critical to maintaining support for the filibuster. The January 6 commission got 56 votes, four short of the 60 needed to overcome a filibuster — a thorough embarrassment for those like Manchin who claim bipartisanship is still possible in the divided Senate chamber.

Manchin told the donors he hoped to make another run at it to prove that comity is not lost. He noted that Sen. Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican who missed the vote, would have voted for it had he been there, meaning only three more votes are needed. “What I’m asking for, I need to go back, I need to find three more Republican, good Republican senators that will vote for the commission. So at least we can tamp down where people say, ‘Well, Republicans won’t even do the simple lift, common sense of basically voting to do a commission that was truly bipartisan.’ It just really emboldens the far left saying, ‘I told you, how’s that bipartisan working for you now, Joe?’”

Click on the link for more

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Larry said:

By . . . ?

The mortgage industry is governed by regulations that lay out very specific timing requirements for when things have to happen.  For example, a mortgage cannot, by law, close until 3 "business days" after the consumer receives their final disclosures (so they have time to review, which is a good law).  A "business day" is every day except Sundays and legal holidays.  Joe Biden* created a new legal holiday about 36 hours before the actual holiday happened that makes this Saturday no longer a business day.  So for tens of thousands of loans closing this week, worth many billions of dollars and probably the consumers' biggest purchase they will ever make, that timing got ****ed up and now their loan is questionably legal unless the lender pushes their closing back a day and ruins their whole week (keep in mind they've probably scheduled movers and a million other things that come with buying a house that its tough to change at the last minute).

*I'm "blaming" Biden in jest, obviously I support the new holiday and it was the culmination of an act of Congress.  But woo boy it ruined my week. :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:37 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

The mortgage industry is governed by regulations that lay out very specific timing requirements for when things have to happen.  For example, a mortgage cannot, by law, close until 3 "business days" after the consumer receives their final disclosures (so they have time to review, which is a good law).  A "business day" is every day except Sundays and legal holidays.  Joe Biden* created a new legal holiday about 36 hours before the actual holiday happened that makes this Saturday no longer a business day.  So for tens of thousands of loans closing this week, worth many billions of dollars and probably the consumers' biggest purchase they will ever make, that timing got ****ed up and now their loan is questionably legal unless the lender pushes their closing back a day and ruins their whole week (keep in mind they've probably scheduled movers and a million other things that come with buying a house that its tough to change at the last minute).

*I'm "blaming" Biden in jest, obviously I support the new holiday and it was the culmination of an act of Congress.  But woo boy it ruined my week. :)

do you wanna own a house or not?

to anyone who saw the biden presser just on, primarily celebrating the new jobs report/economy picture, i thought how he handled the press fun and it was a great presser for the admin (glad it ended before the harris office staff "scandals" got  air time)