Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

I would sign him as our number two quarterback and sign a free agent quarterback in the off season.  Not sure if we need Allen.  But coaching staff likes Allen a lot and may keep him as the number one quarterback if they cannot find a free agent quarterback.  A lot has to do with what Alex does next.  If he retires, then we can throw some of his money to a free agent quarterback but if he stays on the team then we have less money for signing a free agent guy and that would mean we would have to go to the draft to find the right guy.

Edited by veteranskinsfan
fixed words and line spacing

I'm pretty sure Dan Snyder will make sure Heinicke is in our camp this spring. He got this unexpected gift, and he really can't afford to eff this one up right now. If there's one thing Snyder is good at, it's getting guys to sign on the dotted line.

If the WFT goes into next season with Allen/Heinicke/Montez...I could live with that. Those draft picks would go a long ways to helping get the OL, LB and DB situation improved. WR probably needs to be addressed in free agency, because they need another immediate starter.

• Like 3

I'm fine with bringing him back but people are acting like he should be getting a 5+ year long term deal to be the starter. I'd advise caution. The history of the league is filled with guys like Heinicke. Nice story and all but long term starter? I'm not sold, not yet. But yes absolutely he should be brought back next year and given a chance to compete for a spot, either starter or backup.

• Like 5

I get the short sample concern.  That's legit.  I also get durability concerns.  

But if the dude played 16 games like he has in the 1.25 games he has thus far. I'd say he absolutely is the answer.   He at the peak of his powers looks better than Kyle Allen IMO.  Last night, especially considering context, that IMO was better than any performance from our QBs this season.  Kyle Allen has sneaky mobility.  Heinicke has real mobility.    Heinicke according to his coach runs a 4.6 and had freakish agility numbers.   We didn't see Allen look like Spiderman escaping pressure.  Allen is more of a hey there is an open running lane let me go grab 5 yards kind of mobility.  Heinicke has some Russell Wilson/Tony Romo escapability in the pocket that we haven't really seen from any QB here that I can think of.  RG3 was crazy fast but not elusive.

Short sample? Duability concerns? Sure.  But he certainly IMO looked better than Kyle Allen.  Kyle Allen wasn't some national talking point after a performance.  Heinicke is quite the celebrity from last night's performance.  Some of that was about being in the spotlight.  But some of that was he had some awe struck plays.  And nope we didn't see that IMO from Kyle Allen.   Allen seems to have his own durability issues.  I don't dislike Allen, I'd bring him back.  Just saying purely based on the short sample we saw, Kyle Allen doesn't match Taylor especially in the context of mobility. 

https://thevikingage.com/2021/01/09/former-vikings-qb-taylor-heinicke-playoffs-washington/

At one time, Minnesota Vikings fans were enamored with the potential of Taylor Heinicke. The highly athletic quarterback was a preseason rock star for the purple and gold that has bounced around the league since leaving the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Now with the Washington Football Team, Taylor Heinicke got his number called to start on Super Wild Card Weekend against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Alex Smith was unable to take the field on Saturday Night.

Expectations were low for this quarterback that few people outside of Vikings fans were familiar with. However, with his performance against Tampa Bay, he may have worked himself into a nine contract and more opportunities going forward.

Of course, Heinicke was signed by the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted free agent following the 2015 NFL Draft. He stuck with the team until he was waived with an injury settlement in 2017. Since then, he bounced around the league, spending time with the Patriots, Texans, Panthers, and the XFL’s St. Louis Battlehawks before finally landing in Washington.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm fine with bringing him back but people are acting like he should be getting a 5+ year long term deal to be the starter. I'd advise caution. The history of the league is filled with guys like Heinicke. Nice story and all but long term starter? I'm not sold, not yet. But yes absolutely he should be brought back next year and given a chance to compete for a spot, either starter or backup.

I'm pretty sure that Rivera is not the type of guy who gets swept up in hysterical fanboyism. :D

36 minutes ago, profusion said:

I'm pretty sure Dan Snyder will make sure Heinicke is in our camp this spring. He got this unexpected gift, and he really can't afford to eff this one up right now. If there's one thing Snyder is good at, it's getting guys to sign on the dotted line.

If the WFT goes into next season with Allen/Heinicke/Montez...I could live with that. Those draft picks would go a long ways to helping get the OL, LB and DB situation improved. WR probably needs to be addressed in free agency, because they need another immediate starter.

I've heard that Snyder is already working on a 10 year, $230 million deal with $80 guaranteed.  :)

I have prepared myself for 9 months of fans overreacting to a good game and a quarter from a QB off the street.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Haha 3

My worry is that Allen / Heinicke are what Mullins / Beathard were to SF good backups but too many mistakes to be starters. I haven't seen this but it's my concern. Right now i put Heinicke above Allen based on their ceilings but if we could get s Fields it changes things. But a Winston wouldn't start over then to me. And i probably wouldn't go after Stafford either. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

My worry is that Allen / Heinicke are what Mullins / Beathard were to SF good backups but too many mistakes to be starters. I haven't seen this but it's my concern. Right now i put Heinicke above Allen based on their ceilings but if we could get s Fields it changes things. But a Winston wouldn't start over then to me. And i probably wouldn't go after Stafford either. 

I don't think Heinecke really made any mistakes last night, I just think physically he's limited and the league has a way of figuring out these out of nowhere QBs. He COULD be the next Romo(who was only a year younger when he took over as starter)but the odds just aren't that great.

Again, not hating on the kid, he did great last night and absolutely deserves a roster spot next year, but I wouldn't be so quick to get my hopes up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They have to give this kid a shot, he can ball. Honestly Warhead, I don't see another QB on this team that could have out played him last night.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RedskinsLegacy said:

They have to give this kid a shot, he can ball. Honestly Warhead, I don't see another QB on this team that could have out played him last night.

Yes he is the best QB on our roster but that's more an indictment on our QBs as a whole.

He deserves a shot next year, nothing more. I can point to tons of examples of one game wonder QBs who quickly fizzle out. The league figures you out fast.

• Like 1

How much do you think he will eventually sign for?

I am cautiously optimistic about his prospects of being our future #2 or even #1.  He certainly appears to have the "it" factor.

Will he be more like Drew Brees or Case Keenum?  I do believe he is more like Brees.  

Let's sign him to a deal but not overspend.  He shouldn't command too much but I am concerned that some team will fall in love with him and drive up  the price.  

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've heard that Snyder is already working on a 10 year, $230 million deal with $80 guaranteed.  :)

I have prepared myself for 9 months of fans overreacting to a good game and a quarter from a QB off the street.  

I think he has earned the right to be our bridge QB, or at least compete for that spot. 

He still has to earn the long term QB spot. 

What I think sets him apart more than a flash in the pan is that he has a very high football IQ.

He goes through all of his reads. He feels pressure and understands escape routes. He knocks a ball batted back to him down. He knows down/distance and situation. He understands coverage. He has a good ball placement. 

His cons? He has a NFL arm but it’s at the low end of where you’d like your starter to be. But it’s more than enough.

He’s smaller.

And his durability. 

He has a lot to prove but he has the QB tools.

Its funny, but I think guys fall through the cracks every year at every position, but really at QB. When you are undrafted or a low pick coming in to a situation with a good QB room you won’t get the reps. And the practice squad and roster rules don’t let you really stash a guy and grow them. They get a year and then a new flashy toy from the draft comes in. And they get a year and the cycle repeats.

They don’t see any meaningful practice reps with the starters. They don’t get to show what they can do in game situations. They just get recycled until a guy gets lucky and either has someone stop and watch him and say, “This dude can play... see what he has” or the QBs in front of them go down and they are forced into action.

Not many people thought Heinicke was going to do what he did in the one quarter of relief duty except ODU fans. Not many people thought Heinicke had a chance last night except people who saw the relief appearance (and even then some just didn’t believe).

He has a lot to earn. I still draft a high end rookie if they fall in our lap or there is a low cost trade option to move up for one. I still eyeball mid tier QBs to draft (Shane Buechele). I still bring Allen back.

But even when there’s film on this kid he is so smart and progresses through his reads that he’s the kind of guy that can adjust.

He isn’t RG3 who had the physical tools but not the ability to progress through reads. 

He’s more than capable.

If you are asking me my biggest concern? Durability. Can he string together a full season...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Heinecke really made any mistakes last night, I just think physically he's limited and the league has a way of figuring out these out of nowhere QBs. He COULD be the next Romo(who was only a year younger when he took over as starter)but the odds just aren't that great.

Again, not hating on the kid, he did great last night and absolutely deserves a roster spot next year, but I wouldn't be so quick to get my hopes up.

Limited in what way? He has the arm, the legs and the mind and the patience and can read defenses. He has the work ethic. His only problem is height. But we're seeing Brees, Wilson, Murphy and others overcome that. I wouldn't sign him to a Cousins contract but he deserves to come in and have a chance to make this his team. 

9 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Nobody and I mean NOBODY thought Heinicke would ball out like he did tonight.  They need to keep him and find playmakers to build around him.  I don't know where the guy was born, but he's as local you can get coming from ODU.  This team may have found their answer at QB.

2 fast receivers with good hands should be a priority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Limited in what way? He has the arm, the legs and the mind and the patience and can read defenses. He has the work ethic. His only problem is height. But we're seeing Brees, Wilson, Murphy and others overcome that. I wouldn't sign him to a Cousins contract but he deserves to come in and have a chance to make this his team. 

He's a bit fragile. He's gotten hurt in almost every game he's played. His arm is also lacking(but probably good enough to still be a solid starter).

I agree 100% he deserves a chance to compete next year. I've said that repeatedly. I'm just cautioning folks who think he's the for sure long term answer. I can point to many similar examples and they all fizzle out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bonhommelemec said:

How much do you think he will eventually sign for?

This guy was in classes 6 weeks ago wondering if he would ever get another shot, or he'd have to get a much lower paying "real job".

I wonder if the skins called right now and said, 2 years 5 mil fully guaranteed.  Life changing contract.  It would be hard for him to say no, especially considering his close ties to the area.

He will probably get more on the open market in March.  But as this performance fades from memory, and teams continue to gash tampa thru the air, there is a chance the offers he gets aren't better than the 5 mil.

Even if we had to eat the dead cap if last night's performance just turns out to be a mirage, the hit would be minimal. With low risk and considering the potential reward would be we found our franchise qb, I say go for it.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think he has earned the right to be our bridge QB, or at least compete for that spot. 

What I think sets him apart more than a flash in the pan is that he has a very high football IQ.

He goes through all of his reads. He feels pressure and understands escape routes. He knocks a ball batted back to him down. He knows down/distance and situation. He understands coverage. He has a good ball placement. 

His cons? He has a NFL arm but it’s at the low end of where you’d like your starter to be. But it’s more than enough.

He’s smaller.

And his durability. 

Its funny, but I think guys fall through the cracks every year at every position, but really at QB. When you are undrafted or a low pick coming in to a situation with a good QB room you won’t get the reps. And the practice squad and roster rules don’t let you really stash a guy and grow them. They get a year and then a new flashy toy from the draft comes in. And they get a year and the cycle repeats.

They don’t see any meaningful practice reps with the starters. They don’t get to show what they can do in game situations. They just get recycled until a guy gets lucky and either has someone stop and watch him and say, “This dude can play... see what he has” or the QBs in front of them go down and they are forced into action.

Not many people thought Heinicke was going to do what he did in the one quarter of relief duty except ODU fans. Not many people thought Heinicke had a chance last night except people who saw the relief appearance (and even then some just didn’t believe).

He has a lot to earn. I still draft a high end rookie if they fall in our lap or there is a low cost trade option to move up for one. I still eyeball mid tier QBs to draft (Shane Buechele). I still bring Allen back.

But even when there’s film on this kid he is so smart and progresses through his reads that he’s the kind of guy that can adjust.

He isn’t RG3 who had the physical tools but not the ability to progress through reads. 

He’s more than capable.

If you are asking me my biggest concern? Durability. Can he string together a full season...

I just know I had a lot more fun rooting for this kid in game and a quarter than I did for year and a half of Haskins.  I would be perfectly happy with him as our bridge with an opportunity to prove himself as a long term solution like you said.  But someone really has to drill into him that he has to protect himself.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s smaller.

And his durability. 

He’s more than capable.

We all know fans overreact to a good game or 2.  While all you say is accurate the response we are seeing after one game and a quarter at garbage time is over the top, but I expected that.  

No doubt he has earned a spot on the roster, but that's as far as I can go right now. But how great would it be if he turned into Tony Romo?  

• Like 1