Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

36 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Looked to me like Heineken was Captain Check Up not Captain Check Down.  Lotta times he could've thrown a screen or to a guy in the flat but he aired it out and went for a guy 15-30 yards downfield.  (And then the drops.  Heineken put it *exactly* where no one else could get it and our guys have to hang on.)  The last time I felt like *my* team had a QB I was excited about, ok RGIII, before him, Rypien after the opener in '91.  Yeah, last friggin' millennium.  Dude did not look like some rook who gets lucky when the opposing D drops a deuce on the bed.  It's his job to lose (after being signed). 

You know who he reminds me of?  Joe Theismann.  Give Heineken #7, make him a captain, and it's a nu start for this franchise.

Sorry, David Cross is funny as hell.

I agree with the Theismann analogy.  TH can scramble like Joe but also has the intangibles like him too.

All too often people look for the prototype QB with the strong arm and all of that. 

We need to give him a chance to be on the team. I think he can surprise even more. He is almost the opposite of Haskins as a prospect.  

Rivera deserves a lot of credit for having the open mind to bring in someone as a 'pandemic qb.  I also think he is a good judge of character. Combine that with Kyle's ability to find talented players and we got a  formula for success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's crazy.  Better than RG3 on Thanksgiving in Dallas?  

Would be curious to see how they come up with their rating, but whatever it is, it's still really high praise.  

Dude needs to be in competition for QB1 next year.  Take that first rounder, address a position of need or BPA.  Get another good WR.  Let this kid do his thing.

We'd have won 10 games, maybe more with quarterback play like that this year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This dude is literally one of the most elusive QB's I have ever seen.

That's saying a lot.

Not just the way he runs, breaks tackles, dives airborne.

But the moves he makes in the pocket, are virtually mind-blowing.

Not only that, but he has an excellent balance of arm and legs.

Most QB's who are about that elusive and mobile, can't throw as well as him.

And most QB's who throw as well as him, are not as mobile as him.

It's like the rare total package, of an equally dual threat of run and pass.

And that's not even mentioning his NFL brain.

It's also rare that a guy that is that mentally sharp, is also so physically gifted and athletic.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's saying a lot.

Not only that, but he has one of the best balance of arm and legs I've ever seen.

He's like Romo (who was FANTASTIC at eluding rushers in the pocket) or Jeff Garcia.  Both guys were QBs with slight builds.  He needs to bulk up though.

• Like 3

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude needs to be in competition for QB1 next year.  Take that first rounder, address a position of need or BPA.  Get another good WR.  Let this kid do his thing.

I've been championing offering 19 overall for stafford, but I love what we saw from TH last night.  Makes me think we don't need to be as bold at qb this year.  Not saying we don't draft a guy we like with a premium pick, but where stafford would cost 20 mil per yr and a premium pick (at least), we can use that pick and cap space to get 3 solid contributors.  What a huge difference.

I hope we sign TH to an affordable deal this week, and then detroit decides to hang onto  stafford for 2021.   We would have a year to get a better idea of what we have in TH, and if he disappoints, be aggressive towards stafford next year.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's saying a lot.

Not only that, but he has one of the best balance of arm and legs I've ever seen.

Yeah, on that amazing touchdown run he looked like he was going to be engulfed by their d-line and somehow he managed to escape out of there like Houdini.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah i was thinking Alex would retire but this doesn't feel like its slam dunk going to happen that way

Peyton Manning made a similar statement before he hung up the cleats.

This has been Alex's life since he was a kid. Tough to give that up. He's a smart guy and it sounds like he listens to the people in his life. He has nothing left to prove to me, you, or anyone else. My guess is that he will retire.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah i was thinking Alex would retire but this doesn't feel like its slam dunk going to happen

Did Alex look "different" on the sidelines.

He didn't look happy at all, the whole game, and I'm sure that's because the competitor in him wanted to be out there.

But he was also isolated and not very connected to his teammates, especially the QB's.

I kind of was hoping he'd be talking to them to give tips and stuff

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He didn't look happy at all, the whole game, and I'm sure that's because the competitor in him wanted to be out there.

But he was also isolated and not very connected to his teammates, especially the QB's.

I saw him speak to Montez a little bit along the SL but that was it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wasn't Alex the guy throwing back and forth with Heini each time he took the field after he hurt his arm?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Since the cameramen didn't seem to see anybody on the WFT sideline except Chase Young, it's kind of hard to know what Alex was doing. :D

He probably did plenty of coaching and instruction when appropriate. Remember, Heinicke is not some raw rookie who just learned how to snap on the chinstrap, and he might know this offense better than Alex. Alex's advice might not have been as critical in-game last night.

• Like 1

For the past 5 years, I became a completely indifferent fan. I lost all passion I had for this team as a fan. Last night was the first time in an extremely long time I began to cheer again — and it was ALL because of #4 Heinicke. He single-handedly kept this team in that game. His play was inspiring. 

My hope is they learn from all their mistakes (which are at this point beyond counting), sign him to a very cap-friendly low risk multi-year deal, and give him a chance as starter next season while drafting for Offensive need outside the QB position. With the 19th pick, most top QB prospects will be off the board, but top WR, OL, etc will be there. If he fails, QB can be addressed in the subsequent year. 

We may have been handed a gift. I just hope for once, this organization doesn’t screw it up. 

• Like 3

The thing about TH is the footballing brain.  He did a lot of impressive things last night, but the thing I really liked was on a play that went wrong.  He dropped back to pass and JPP batted the ball in the air.  It looked like TH was going to catch the ball and try and run with it.  Not an outrageous thing to do.  I would have done it and I am pretty sure a number of good NFL quarterbacks would have tried the same.  He just knocked it down.  Simple, but excellent football awareness.  Just seen Tannehill do what I would have done - he lost 10 yards!

I think the job is his.  If he stays and gets the no.1 spot, the next step for him is to deal with expectation and stepping up to the next level when the opposition have some film on him.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Yeah, on that amazing touchdown run he looked like he was going to be engulfed by their d-line and somehow he managed to escape out of there like Houdini.

Not just that play. Several times he seemed to get lost in the shuffle of linemen only to emerge with positive rushing yards. The TD was the epitome of this. 

41 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I hope we sign TH to an affordable deal this week, and then detroit decides to hang onto  stafford for 2021.   We would have a year to get a better idea of what we have in TH, and if he disappoints, be aggressive towards stafford next year.

I think at minimum Heinicke and Allen have earned Chase Daniel contracts, possibly with incentives. I can't see either getting a 15 million Cousins offer or the Flynn contract, although 8 years later that contract seems like pennies. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

You keep saying this... but I think most are on board with the idea. 

Well I see a lot of people writing him off to be backup. Not so much this morning now that the national media is on board but last night for sure.

And here's another thing I see: a lot of people saying oh IDK if he's the guy, but definitely deserves a shot to compete for the job in camp.

That's my position, too. But keep in mind what that means: that means you DON'T trade for Stafford and you DON'T get Ryan and you DON'T spend a lot to trade up for Trey Lance and you probably don't draft a QB w/ the first round pick, either. Because you don't make a splash at QB to give the job to Heinicke instead. You get someone like Stafford, he's your guy and Taylor has zero chance. 

If you are really giving Heinicke a chance, it means you're getting someone like Tyrod Taylor and let him compete w/ Heinicke and Allen. That's what it means to give Heinicke a chance at the job, and frankly, that's what I want to do. I'll go that far. I'll turn down an opportunity to get Stafford or Ryan or even Mariota to see if Taylor's the guy. PROVIDED that durability is something that can be improved. If, instead, it's inevitable that Heinicke will get hurt every year like he has thus far, then as much as it pains me I'd go make a splash.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brixtion_skin said:

He did a lot of impressive things last night, but the thing I really liked was on a play that went wrong.  He dropped back to pass and JPP batted the ball in the air.  It looked like TH was going to catch the ball and try and run with it.  Not an outrageous thing to do.  I would have done it and I am pretty sure a number of good NFL quarterbacks would have tried the same.  He just knocked it down.  Simple, but excellent football awareness.  Just seen Tannehill do what I would have done - he lost 10 yards!

Heinicke obviously watched film of Joe Theismann setting the standard  -- in the Super Bowl -- for that situation.  Kim Bokamper's one forever highlight is Joe knocking a potential pick-6 out of his mitts.  (It's obviously not as bad as Don McNeal being flung off Riggins like an errant booger, but it's still bad.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think at minimum Heinicke and Allen have earned Chase Daniel contracts, possibly with incentives. I can't see either getting a 15 million Cousins offer or the Flynn contract, although 8 years later that contract seems like pennies. 

Chase daniels most recent contract is 3 years 13 mil.  I think a lot of other teams would be hesitant to offer that for TH.  not only due to the small sample size, but then there is always the mystery of how a qb would translate to their scheme / locker room etc.   

But considering how important the qb position is, and how sharp he looked last night, he could be commanding that range.  

I hope we sign him asap, I'll feel a lot better about the position.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Chase daniels most recent contract is 3 years 13 mil.  I think a lot of other teams would be hesitant to offer that for TH.  not only due to the small sample size, but then there is always the mystery of how a qb would translate to their scheme / locker room etc.   

But considering how important the qb position is, and how sharp he looked last night, he could be commanding that range.  

I hope we sign him asap, I'll feel a lot better about the position.

I don't know why or how, but Chase is seen as a premier backup(with no chance to start) TH and KA both have backup and starter potential. I'd sign them both to that contract and be done with it. Maybe I'd give TH the Flynn deal to show he's the starter.