Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 minute ago, DiscoBob said:

I'm surprised to see the numbers being tossed out here.  I know that he looked really good in that game, but I'm guessing that they could get him for ~2m/yr (the Colt McCoy special)

People talking about 5m, 10m, or even 15m a year are crazy...

I'm not going beyond 5 mil. QB salaries are crazy so I can understand 5 mil. Anything more? Yeah some other team can have him.

21 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Okay, but Kurt Warner’s are very rare.

How do you know Heinicke isn’t that rare one??

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm convinced if some of you guys were Pats fans in 2000 you'd say "yeah that Tom Brady did all right but he was the 199th pick, he could definitely be our backup but he's not the answer." lol 

I’m old enough to remember those discussions with fans online!  That’s exactly what they were saying.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm convinced if some of you guys were Pats fans in 2000 you'd say "yeah that Tom Brady did all right but he was the 199th pick, he could definitely be our backup but he's not the answer." lol 

Brady going 14-3 as a starter and winning the Super Bowl is somewhat more impressive than Heinicke’s performance last night.  Which is not to take anything away from that performance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not going beyond 5 mil. QB salaries are crazy so I can understand 5 mil. Anything more? Yeah some other team can have him.

Extrapolating one game out to a season is really risky (remember Matt Flynn?)

I'm not saying I don't want Heinicke... I do... but we are so QB starved, we gotta think rationally!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Brady played an entire season(well 14 games)and then won a Super Bowl. Not even remotely the same comparison.

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Without checking post history, I feel like some of these people are also the ones willing to give Haskins endless chances and excuses. Haskins never showed anything close to what Taylor did last night, but people wanted to give him 16 games, more Oline help, etc. When you see it you recognize it. Even his teammates see it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Brady going 14-3 as a starter and winning the Super Bowl is somewhat more impressive than Heinicke’s performance last night.  Which is not to take anything away from that performance.

My point is that even after all of that people STILL questioned whether he was the answer because he was a 6th round pick!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Brady played an entire season(well 14 games)and then won a Super Bowl. Not even remotely the same comparison.

Yes in 2001 but remember in 2000 he came in at the end of the Lions game and looked utterly forgettable after starting the year as the 4th string guy. It's about identifying the talent you have no matter how highly regarded or not the talent was before you got it. Brady ended up getting the chance to start damn near the whole season in '01 and we saw how that turned out. But what if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt or if Bill had decided to go QB shopping after the '00 season? 

• Like 1

I imagine he’s sitting around feeling pretty confident that he simply will have a job on a roster either here or somewhere else in the league in 2021.

Meanwhile, some of our fanbase is making him rich and anointing him the starter in 2021. 🤯

I loved everything about his performance and do believe he has the ‘it’ factor.  Few virtually no experience guys can be installed as starter against Tom Brady in a playoff game and perform like he did.  But at the end of the day, it’s still one game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I imagine he’s sitting around feeling pretty confident that he simply will have a job on a roster either here or somewhere else in the league in 2021.

Meanwhile, some of our fanbase is making him rich and anointing him the starter in 2021. 🤯

I loved everything about his performance and do believe he has the ‘it’ factor.  Few virtually no experience guys can be installed as starter against Tom Brady in a playoff game and perform like he did.  But at the end of the day, it’s still one game.

I remember when Matt Flynn dropped 480 and 6 touchdowns on the Lions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think we need to merge some threads because I'm saying similar things in multipe ones. BUt ...

He did it in one game where 

---we had no running game

---we went against one of the best DCs and best defenses

---we went against some maulers and sack kings who eat QBs (JPP)

---we were down the entire game and he kept us in it by making plays

---it was a playoff game

---it was a night game

---out two top offensive stars were hurt (TMC and Gibson)

In the end it is just one game but tack it onto his Panthers game tape and you have the buildings for somebody who deserves a shot at leading this team. I'm cautious about him but I (as a guy who regularly love unheard of guys who look good when they get a chance), I look at a bunch of other guys (AJ McCaron, Mullens, Beathard, etc) and a lot of them didn't have these type of things they overcame. Heck Allen went against crappy defenses and in that Giants game was part of the reason we lost because he gave up the TD on a fumble. Maybe his ceiling is a backup and he can't repeat these things, but I don't see it that way. He wasn't making mistakes or missing reads or even throwing bad balls. He wasn't dependent on a system that hid his inability to read defenses. Its so much repeatable stuff. I was actually excited about him like I haven't been since Trent Green or Brad Johnson. Maybe he's not the guy but I hope he gets a shot to show us rather than just backing up somebody like Stafford or Ryan. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

B+ performance in a big game. But I think he's probably closer to a "c" player. What you want to pay for that, and how you want to move forward should be taken from an organizational top down approach, but I would hope we can make some decisions when we're more removed from good feelings about a game in which they were beat.

Edited by fwo40

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I remember when Matt Flynn dropped 480 and 6 touchdowns on the Lions.

One.  That’s the Lions.  Two.  That was a regular season game.  Three.  The Seahawks gave him the bag & still decided to bench him in favor of Russell Wilson because he passed the eyeball test.

• Like 2

Just now, CapsSkins said:

I would love to know what about his game tape makes you feel that way.

And I would love to know the opposite - he has precious little of it - on top of which he doesn't physically seem to be an elite player. And grant it that may be less important than QB's that can anticipate etc, but I don't see it as a stretch to have concerns about his frame and durability. In my eyes dude threw a lot of prayers yesterday, but kudos to him for staying alive and doing so. it was, in context a pretty good game, but there's nothing to me to suggest long term success is assured. I think as a fan base, we have just collectively lowered our expectations so much that "this will do". I don't know that it will - for a 6-7 win team, yeah maybe for more than that - serious doubts.  

1 minute ago, fwo40 said:

And I would love to know the opposite - he has precious little of it - on top of which he doesn't physically seem to be an elite player. And grant it that may be less important than QB's that can anticipate etc, but I don't see it as a stretch to have concerns about his frame and durability. In my eyes dude threw a lot of prayers yesterday, but kudos to him for staying alive and doing so. it was, in context a pretty good game, but there's nothing to me to suggest long term success is assured. I think as a fan base, we have just collectively lowered our expectations so much that "this will do". I don't know that it will - for a 6-7 win team, yeah maybe for more than that - serious doubts.  

Sorry, what exactly are you saying? I think his game tape is great because of going through progressions, making the right decision on where to go with the ball, throwing guys open, extending plays with his feet, being elusive in the pocket, using his legs to pick up yardage when the opportunity was there, spreading the ball around and not locking onto any one receiver, putting balls in spots only his guys can catch it like the Sims TD.

You said he was throwing a lot of prayers - which passes? I didn't see that at all.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Sorry, what exactly are you saying? I think his game tape is great because of going through progressions, making the right decision on where to go with the ball, throwing guys open, extending plays with his feet, being elusive in the pocket, using his legs to pick up yardage when the opportunity was there, spreading the ball around and not locking onto any one receiver, putting balls in spots only his guys can catch it like the Sims TD.

You said he was throwing a lot of prayers - which passes? I didn't see that at all.  

There were at least 2 in the in the Carolina game that should've been picked - one in the end zone - and a few others. My main point is that I think we just have had such bad QB performances that we get spoiled by an above average game here and there. I don't know that's he not going to be great -but I do know the majority of pro ready QB's coming out of college and half the backups in the league coming up are capable of replicating in a short span what Heinicke has done over 5 qtrs. I hope he gets a chance to compete for the job next year - but I'm not sold in any way that's he's markedly above average right now.