Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Here's a bit more about Taylor's story when he was at ODU.

He lost his best friend/coach/mentor/father while he was a sophomore.  Taylor dedicates his performances to him in the heavens...  I'm sure his dad was super proud of him from the other side.

Learn more about our quarterback here:

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-taylor-heinicke-our-greatest-hits-20200717-jigrfcp3cfaxpfzilmbkwxgium-story.html

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 2

Players with much less incidents than Heiny, have had their durability called into question.

So you have to consider it.

I compiled this "Unofficial Injury History" for him, after a little research, to give everyone the breakdown :

In July 2016, with Vikings, he suffered an off-field injury to his foot, breaking into his own home.

In August 2017, with Vikings, he suffered mild concussion in preseason, then released from IR.

In December 2017, with Texans, after just one pass attempt, he suffered a concussion.

In December 2018, with Panthers, suffered elbow injury in a game, putting him on IR.

In January 2021, with Washington, suffered shoulder injury.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think we need to be very careful that we don’t initially overpay for Heinicke. I would consider the lowest RFA tender, being right of first refusal 1 year 2.2mil. We can match what he negotiates elsewhere if we want. 

Alternatively you can be more aggressive, and offer high him and Allen something like 2 year 5mil max deals, containing largely incentivised amounts that they are fighting over. 

I mean Allen can be had as an ERFA for a mil on a one year deal, but I like the idea of matching their deals with the added security of the extra year in case one looks that business.

But if we bring another vet in, it’ll be low ball money for these two.

I understand your take, and I feel good considering he is RFA vs UFA.  But I'll tell you what will infuriate me, is if they get too cute and penny pinching leads to TH landing on another team in the near future while our QB situation is still unresolved.  That's why id be ok if they get a little aggressive to get a multi year deal, bc it would still be at an affordable rate for a #2. But if he was at that number as a starter?!?  If he were to do what he did Saturday on a consistent basis as our starter, and we combine his low cap number to all the studs we have on rookie contracts, WOW!!  We will have such an opportunity to make a nice run over the next few years and then some.  Its a sky is the limit ceiling, with relatively low risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He said in an interview today he's below 6 foot but didn't say by how much. 

I wonder if he fell into that stigma that he's too short to be an NFL QB and because he went to a small school, he was immediately written off. There's no way he's 6'1", with the emergence of players like Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson getting better and better over time (besides at the end of this year obviously), maybe he just went unnoticed because of his height/weight. I really couldn't find a flaw in his actual game performance and I looked hard.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I wonder if he fell into that stigma that he's too short to be an NFL QB and because he went to a small school, he was immediately written off. There's no way he's 6'1", with the emergence of players like Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson getting better and better over time (besides at the end of this year obviously), maybe he just went unnoticed because of his height/weight. I really couldn't find a flaw in his actual game performance and I looked hard.

With all the great things being pointed out, there's an obvious historical issue with consistent injuries.  I don't think that cancels out that he's a baller.  He's a smart player that should he ever get a shot to be a starter, he could be coached up to preserve himself enough to save his head and wings as appropriate.  He's been laying out his smaller frame fearlessly, trying to get a gig.  If he earns a shot, he's probably not going to have to be diving full speed Superman regularly if you get my drift.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yeah am definitely among the crowd smitten with his play.  I am more though concerned about his frame then I am his height.    Wilson for example is really stocky even though he's short.  Murray on the other hand not so much but he's gotten banged up this season.  I wonder if anything can be done to bulk Taylor up so he can withstand NFL hits better. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That is not his account. There are tweets from during the game lol 

Good catch.  On reflection, I should know better.  He said in his Junkies interview he's on instagram but not twitter. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

With all the great things being pointed out, there's an obvious historical issue with consistent injuries.  I don't think that cancels out that he's a baller.  He's a smart player that should he ever get a shot to be a starter, he could be coached up to preserve himself enough to save his head and wings as appropriate.  He's been laying out his smaller frame fearlessly, trying to get a gig.  If he earns a shot, he's probably not going to have to be diving full speed Superman regularly if you get my drift.

I was actually just thinking that part of his performance success is due to him grabbing this opportunity by the horns and taking it. He played like his life depended on it, which makes me curious if that magic that he had will continue (I think it will). 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am definitely in the crowd smitten with his play.  I am more though concerned about his frame then I am his height.    Wilson for example is really stocky even though he's short.  Murray on the other hand not so much but he's gotten banged up this season.  I wonder if anything can be done to bulk Taylor up so he can withstand NFL hits better. 

I'm concerned about his frame as well, just looking at him you can see that he is small but he's built, which definitely leads me to think he has a smaller frame, I don't know how much bigger he'll be able to get. He needs to watch Murray because he's pretty amazing at protecting himself with his little short (annoying asf) dive slides when he's on the run. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am definitely in the crowd smitten with his play.  I am more though concerned about his frame then I am his height.    Wilson for example is really stocky even though he's short.  Murray on the other hand not so much but he's gotten banged up this season.  I wonder if anything can be done to bulk Taylor up so he can withstand NFL hits better. 

Yeah, if the instruct him to do that to address concerns then no problem.  Give any experienced trainer 3 months and he can tighten up well.  Only need to really add 5 lbs of lean mass at the targeted muscle groups and strengthen the supporting joint accessory muscles and core.  Plus he'll be stronger and faster.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

was actually just thinking that part of his performance success is due to him grabbing this opportunity by the horns and taking it. He played like his life depended on it, which makes me curious if that magic that he had will continue (I think it will). 

He definitely did just that and you want that same player in a tighter package, strengthened, and then supported.  That idea looks something like a coach giving him directions to 'play smart and  we got your back'. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah, if the instruct him to do that to address concerns then no problem.  Give any experienced trainer 3 months and he can tighten up well.  Only need to really add 5 lbs of lean mass at the targeted muscle groups and strengthen the supporting joint accessory muscles and core.  Plus he'll be stronger and faster.

Yeah but first things first- he still has 2 math finals to take!😆

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I was actually just thinking that part of his performance success is due to him grabbing this opportunity by the horns and taking it. He played like his life depended on it, which makes me curious if that magic that he had will continue (I think it will). 

Agreed, and you can also say his superman leap to the pylon was due to his nfl life depending on this game.  If he isn't as reckless, hopefully he is more durable.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

Seeing that Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinicke are two realistic WFT QBs that at a minimum can start and execute your offense, then you sign them both.  Maybe you can get them both signed now for cheap 2 year deals.  Then you know you've got at least 50% of the QB ? answered. 

Realistically there's not going to be many offers by any other teams for either guy.  If Heinicke gets any interest from another team it's not going to be much and it won't be the same offense he knows, or any guaranteed starting role either. 

On 12/28/2020 at 10:04 AM, Dan T. said:

Number Theory

Partial Differential Equations

Applied Numerical Methods

Math and Nature

That's a hell of a course-load, Taylor.

How the hell do you not have a guy like that on your roster by default. An NFL playbook, schemes, verbage is probably checkers or tic tac toe to him. Gonna look up his wonderlic score, they probably said he was above that test and said. You're good bro..

I'm imagining him in the film room braking down plays probably better than the coaches...

15 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

How the hell do you not have a guy like that on your roster by default. An NFL playbook, schemes, verbage is probably checkers or tic tac toe to him. Gonna look up his wonderlic score, they probably said he was above that test and said. You're good bro..

I'm imagining him in the film room braking down plays probably better than the coaches...

His college coach said he could go through 5 reads in 2.6 seconds, faster than any QB he ever coached.

He starts even before the ball snaps.

Give him a chance to audible. Bet he'll be even better

• Like 4