Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

He passed the eyeball test.  He was phenomenal in the playoff game.  It’s funny seeing fans talking themselves out of starting Heinicke going forward.  They’d rather do the same ole same ole and trade away a kings ransom just to bring in Stafford who hasn’t won a single playoff game in 12 years just because they’re programmed to always want the shiny new toy SMH

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, -JB- said:

He passed the eyeball test.  He was phenomenal in the playoff game.  It’s funny seeing fans talking themselves out of starting Heinicke going forward.  They’d rather do the same ole same ole and trade away a kings ransom just to bring in Stafford who hasn’t won a single playoff game in 12 years just because they’re programmed to always want the shiny new toy SMH

I feel you man,  Just watching this guys make the reads he was making impressed me a lot.  I dont know why anyone would be hesitant slating him as the #1 QB going into next season.  I believe that if he started all the games this year were sitting at 10-6 maybe 11-5.  Our offense was inept for most of the season.  Tony Dungy was impressed by him and that is a guy that coached Peyton Manning and watched him from the sideline for a long time.  To make it clear, I was impressed by the playes he made and the diving play was amazing but his reads were what really set him apart from any QB we have played this year.  He also seemed to have some good pocket presence and he burned Tampa on the blitz several times.  This was the best QB performance for WFT all year.  He did all of this with no running game as well.  Stafford would come in here and struggle to pick up the offense then get hurt.  Just sayin, I dont mind bringing in competition but this guys should be #1. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I feel you man,  Just watching this guys make the reads he was making impressed me a lot.  I dont know why anyone would be hesitant slating him as the #1 QB going into next season.  I believe that if he started all the games this year were sitting at 10-6 maybe 11-5.  Our offense was inept for most of the season.  Tony Dungy was impressed by him and that is a guy that coached Peyton Manning and watched him from the sideline for a long time.  To make it clear, I was impressed by the playes he made and the diving play was amazing but his reads were what really set him apart from any QB we have played this year.  He also seemed to have some good pocket presence and he burned Tampa on the blitz several times.  This was the best QB performance for WFT all year.  He did all of this with no running game as well.  Stafford would come in here and struggle to pick up the offense then get hurt.  Just sayin, I dont mind bringing in competition but this guys should be #1. 

Even the game vs Carolina he comes in and IMMEDIATELY the offense was moving infinitely better than with Haskins.  Seeing that was truly eye opening and made releasing Haskins easy.  Not everybody has success right out of the gate.  Some guys might not get an opportunity until they’re 27 like Heinicke.  Doesn’t mean he must stink just because he hasn’t gotten the opportunity.  Such a godsend because instead of trading a bunch of picks scrambling for a QB we can actually sit back and use every pick to continue to draft quality players who fit the culture/scheme.  With our defense which can only look to get better next season with some upgraded personnel and guys returning back from injury all we need is competent QB play.  A guy who can move the offense and also is mobile and can scramble.  Imagine a full offseason as the #1 guy and added weapons at WR/TE/OL.  Amazingly they could take the league by storm next season.

Also huge that Heinicke got the first playoff game out of the way.  That experience is huge for him going forward.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 9

Just keep in mind, if Heinicke does turn out to be the solution, all the Conventional Wisdom folks will be naysaying no matter what until he proves them wrong and then they'll just do a 180 and write puff pieces on how amazing he is.

I remember when Haskins was benched and that idiot clown Mike Jones in the nat'l media who used to cover this team heavily implied Rivera was racist for doing so. After Haskins got cut Mike Jones himself wrote a piece about Dwayne's immaturity. No apology for his insidious remarks earlier in the year. No accountability. Diane Russini AKA President of the Jessica McCloughan fan club was in the same boat with Dwayne, not about race but basically describing him as a martyr when he got benched. Then completely changed her tune. I have such little respect for these clowns.

ANYWAY - here is my point: when Unlikely things happen, the Conventional Wisdom will always gaslight you against believing in them. Think back to subprime mortgages in 2007. Nobody thought they would go bust like that. Think back to Long Term Capital Management in the late 90's before they went bust. Think back to ENRON. These "Unlikely" things happen more often than you'd think, and especially if there's a systemic issue driving them. In this case, I think it's the Inefficient system of evaluating and developing QB prospects. Scouts are obsessed with physical traits & big schools, if you don't check those boxes you don't get drafted. If you don't get drafted, everyone expects you to fail and nobody gives you much of a chance. Once that happens, you're sunk. Especially because every year there's a wave of shiny new toys drafted in the 1st round w/ cannon arms and big bodies just waiting to take your spot.

I bet there are Romo-potential QBs who wash out of the League every year because the stars didn't align for them. I mean I used to work in finance and I think the parallel is very apt. We're told this myth that markets are efficient but we know that isn't true. Conventional Wisdom will gaslight you and call you crazy until you're proven right, then they'll act like they were on the ride all along. 

None of this guarantees anything, of course. But I just hate groupthink. I am all about looking at the available data and analyzing it myself without being a slave to Conventional Wisdom. And if the data points in an Unusual direction, I'm not going to discount it just because it cuts against the Talking Head Consensus. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Just keep in mind, if Heinicke does turn out to be the solution, all the Conventional Wisdom folks will be naysaying no matter what until he proves them wrong and then they'll just do a 180 and write puff pieces on how amazing he is.

I remember when Haskins was benched and that idiot clown Mike Jones in the nat'l media who used to cover this team heavily implied Rivera was racist for doing so. After Haskins got cut Mike Jones himself wrote a piece about Dwayne's immaturity. No apology for his insidious remarks earlier in the year. No accountability. Diane Russini AKA President of the Jessica McCloughan fan club was in the same boat with Dwayne, not about race but basically describing him as a martyr when he got benched. Then completely changed her tune. I have such little respect for these clowns.

ANYWAY - here is my point: when Unlikely things happen, the Conventional Wisdom will always gaslight you against believing in them. Think back to subprime mortgages in 2007. Nobody thought they would go bust like that. Think back to Long Term Capital Management in the late 90's before they went bust. Think back to ENRON. These "Unlikely" things happen more often than you'd think, and especially if there's a systemic issue driving them. In this case, I think it's the Inefficient system of evaluating and developing QB prospects. Scouts are obsessed with physical traits & big schools, if you don't check those boxes you don't get drafted. If you don't get drafted, everyone expects you to fail and nobody gives you much of a chance. Once that happens, you're sunk. Especially because every year there's a wave of shiny new toys drafted in the 1st round w/ cannon arms and big bodies just waiting to take your spot.

I bet there are Romo-potential QBs who wash out of the League every year because the stars didn't align for them. I mean I used to work in finance and I think the parallel is very apt. We're told this myth that markets are efficient but we know that isn't true. Conventional Wisdom will gaslight you and call you crazy until you're proven right, then they'll act like they were on the ride all along. 

None of this guarantees anything, of course. But I just hate groupthink. I am all about looking at the available data and analyzing it myself without being a slave to Conventional Wisdom. And if the data points in an Unusual direction, I'm not going to discount it just because it cuts against the Talking Head Consensus. 

Exactly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heinicke talk is hot topic this week and he's back page news next week (just the way it is).

With the Hot Topic, the WFT has limited control of him going forward as a RFA. 

My confusion is with a RFA on an Undrafted player is answered here:

https://distinctathlete.com/2021/01/12/erfa-rfa-and-washingtons-quarterbacks/

Where would the team’s salary cap end up as a result of the three roster moves discussed (Smith retires while Heinicke and Allen are retained on RFA & ERFA tenders respectively)?

$42.6m = Current estimated 2021 cap space

+14.7m = 2021 cap savings from Alex Smith retirement

-$2.24m = RFA tender for Taylor Heinicke

-$850K = ERFA tender for Kyle Allen

$54.2m = estimated adjusted cap space for 2021

Screenshot 2021-01-13 044612.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well then!  Let's just drive down to Signal Callers R Us and pick up a franchise QB on sale.  Like it's that easy...

I'm not getting carried away about the kid but I'm not going to write off a clutch performance with little to no practice and only one receiver who would definitely start for other teams (McLaurin) and without any kind of running game.  Some people remind me of the guy (who is a 7 at best) at the club who turns down a 7 or 6 because he thinks he has a shot at the 10 who won't even look his way.  Only to end up at Taco Bell feeding his frustration with a burrito supreme and a Nachos Bell Grande after last call.  IDIOT!  He shoulda been doting on the 7.  Then the 10 woulda been mad that he didn't pick her and next time he might have a legitimate shot.  

In other words, sign Heinicke to a friendly deal and see what happens.  Don't ditch him until you find the QB you're looking for.  Without trading away valuable draft capital.  (Or is it capitol?)   Whatever!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I just don’t understand our fascination with denying his ability.

Why do we think a guy like Heinicke isn’t the guy? A guy who has a sample size of NFL games (albeit a small one) versus some college QBs that we are hoping can come in and play... like... Taylor Heinicke in the NFL?

To address the vet issue, they have NFL film as well, but not in this offensive system.

You know who has film in THIS system who played pretty well? Taylor Heinicke. 

What do these college guys have that Heinicke doesn’t?

Their size? Speed? Cannon arms? NFL production?

I can understand the durability concerns. I can understand wanting to hedge our bets. That’s just smart and should be common practice with literally any QB. Hell, maybe he doesn’t even win the competition. 

But his 5 NFL quarters, with 4 against a top NFL D, is a better scouting sample size than most of these college QBs are giving us. 

for what it’s worth... I think Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance all have a higher ceiling than Heinicke. I just don’t understand the fascination with denying Heinicke a REAL opportunity by spending a ton of assets that could build the TEAM for another unproven asset...

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I just don’t understand our fascination with denying his ability.

Clearly it's a mistake to deny his talent.  As well, a tempered enthusiasm should be logical with expectations.  The middle ground has him involved in a legitimate QB competition that RR declared he mistakenly didn't deploy last season.  RR doesn't strike me as the type of person to repeat mistakes.  I'd expect Heinicke to get the lowest RFA tender and be back, healthy, stronger, and locked on to compete in 2021. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Clearly it's a mistake to deny his talent.  As well, a tempered enthusiasm should be logical with expectations.  The middle ground has him involved in a legitimate QB competition that RR declared he mistakenly didn't deploy last season.  RR doesn't strike me as the type of person to repeat mistakes.  I'd expect Heinicke to get the lowest RFA tender and be back, healthy, stronger, and locked on to compete in 2021. 

This is a point most of us have stated several times. But some just want to spend the farm on a QB. Guess what? That won’t be a competition. We pay big money or big assets to a QB and he will be starting. Make no mistake about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is a point most of us have stated several times. But some just want to spend the farm on a QB. Guess what? That won’t be a competition. We pay big money or big assets to a QB and he will be starting. Make no mistake about it.

Right. I think you get a more honest evaluation and competition if you don’t hedge your bets at all. And it saves you resources. 

Qb by shotgun. Spread it around until you hit the target. 

Just now, KDawg said:

I agree and when I watch the coaches film there's two things that repeatedly happen.  1- The WR talent is not sufficient.  They have to have more talented WRs.  2- OL upgrades are undisputable.  Particularly in the last game, our fan favorite, league wide All-Pro RG quit on multiple plays before the protections were finished.  Scherff didn't show his best effort.  Other protection deficiencies pop out when RBs are asked to block the blitz.  JD fails multiple times in pass pro.  They improve pass protection with some pointed upgrades and add a couple of talented WRs and whomever wins the QB competition will score more than enough times to take advantage of that Defense.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, Llevron said:

Right. I think you get a more honest evaluation and competition if you don’t hedge your bets at all. And it saves you resources. 

Qb by shotgun. Spread it around until you hit the target. 

There's no rule in the book that says you can't ram it up the gut 5 times in a row (so long as you get 10 yards combined on the first 4).

I will be very content with either bringing In a low to mid round quarterback or a mid level veteran if there's one available in free agency and letting him, Allen and heinicke Duke it out in pre season for the depth chart and going into the season with those three as our quarterbacks. 

I'll be much happier with that than giving up huge assets for a quarterback and a huge cap hit, that's the type of thing that could cripple our ability to compete if that quarterback doesn't play like an all pro.

• Like 1