Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

TH said on the Junkies he becomes a FA March and he doesn't know what will happen but he definitely wants to be here and WFT is his first choice.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/09/what-is-a-restricted-free-agent-and-how-do-nfl-tenders-work-what-do-they-cost/

Looked up RFAs to get an idea of compensation, and this article left me with more questions than answers...

1) They say RFAs have to have been in the league for 3+ years and played a minimum of 6 games per year (so how the heck is Heinicke a RFA?)

2) Says the 2nd round tender is 3.something mil, but that the Broncos would have to pay 4.something for a 2nd round tender (why the discrepancy?)

Either way, assuming we have a choice of tendering or extending, we should be able to bring him back on the cheap.  The 3 (or 4) mil tender for a 2nd rounder would make sense as we’d have right to match another team’s offer or get a 2nd in compensation.  An extension could probably be had for roughly same price, could be 2 years instead of one, and we’d probably just have to guarantee a couple/few million max.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You trying to make me look dumb!? Lol it worked 

No, not at all.  Your post was great, except that it's the kind of thing you can just keep going with, and I can't pass up an opportunity to rant about Jack Pardee trading Frank Grant.  I was aghast when it happened.  The rest was history in the making.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Ok, there have been some names thrown out there of who Heinicke reminds people of, so I'm trying to build a list: 

- Russell Wilson

- Drew Brees

- Jeff Garcia

- Doug Flutie

I'm trying to think of others. 

Here's a name - what about Mark Brunell (in Jax, not DC)? 

I don't know because I'm looking at PFR which may be legit but it has Mark listed at 6-1 (same as Taylor), Mark was known to take off and run when he needed to, he showed up in the playoffs and took Jax pretty far that first playoffs series, and when he had Jimmy Smith and McCardell he was throwing dimes. 

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Hmm, Taylor Heinicke has closed his Twitter account.  Anybody know why?

He said this morning (The Junkies) he's not a social media guy and was going to get away to take some time away.  I'll bet he's getting bombarded after Saturday's performance.  LOL

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Hmm, Taylor Heinicke has closed his Twitter account.  Anybody know why?

You sure it was his, and not the fake one ?

If it's the real one, I think we can all very confidently take a great guess, as to why.

And a little comment from Ron

And more telling, other Pro Personnel men

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

I'm thrilled that TH is a RFA. I didn't realize it, I just assumed he was rostered long enough to have enough seasons under his belt.  

It's good to know that it's not an option for him to wait til March and sign with the highest bidder.  If we want him, we keep him for a modest price.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

2021 Projected RFA Tenders

Type Amount
First Round $4,873,000
Second Round $3,422,000
Original Round

$2,240,000

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

oh also @Mr. Sinister you sly son of a beach you were right the entire time 

Someone else too I cant remember the other person that was like give him a chance. I owe you guys..........a Hienicke 

har har 

Glad you've finally seen the light, brother 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is our guy.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

And when he's not wearing the Burgundy and Gold uniform, ends up some people don't even believe Heinicke is an NFL quarterback. 

"When my trainer introduces me to new people as an NFL quarterback, [they say], ‘No, he’s not. This guy is like 5’10” looking 170,’” Heinicke said. “Actually have to go prove myself to everybody out there."

Heinicke's quotes came via an interview with The Sports Junkies, and throughout the conversation, it became clear that he's a young man that constantly has to prove his doubters wrong. 

Despite throwing for more than 300 yards and rushing for nearly 50 more in a playoff game, Heinicke is unclear about his future. 

"I had nothing to lose out there. I’ve kinda been on the other side, this is my one opportunity, a lot of people expected us to lose big [saying we] didn’t have a chance so we just went out there and let it all hang out and went out there and played well," he said. 

Sure, he's listed at 6-foot-1 and 210 lbs., but that's incredibly hard to believe. Speaking with the Junkies, Heinicke described himself as 5-foot-10 and 170, which might have been a bit of self-deprecation, but not by much. 

NFL quarterbacks used to be made of granite, big pocket statues. That's changed a bit with the success of shorter, quicker guys like Russ Wilson and Kyler Murray, and maybe that will help Heinicke find and stay on a roster in 2021. 

To be clear, Heinicke wants to stay in Washington.

He's said it repeatedly since Saturday night's loss. Fans definitely want him back too. 

But he's probably not the long-term answer Ron Rivera needs at quarterback either. In three NFL appearances over three different teams in three different years, Heinicke has been injured each time. Even in the heroic effort against Tampa, Heinicke finished the game with a shoulder injury. 

Whatever happens next for Heinicke, it seems unlikely to replicate the magic from his playoff performance. 

"Throughout the whole week, I didn’t really get any butterflies until about maybe three or four hours before the game when I was getting in my car heading to the stadium and that’s when it all kinda hit me," he said. 

At least after that performance maybe people at the gym will believe Taylor Heinicke is an NFL quarterback. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

40 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm thrilled that TH is a RFA. I didn't realize it, I just assumed he was rostered long enough to have enough seasons under his belt.  

It's good to know that it's not an option for him to wait til March and sign with the highest bidder.  If we want him, we keep him for a modest price.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

2021 Projected RFA Tenders

Type Amount
First Round $4,873,000
Second Round $3,422,000
Original Round

$2,240,000

I think we need to be very careful that we don’t initially overpay for Heinicke. I would consider the lowest RFA tender, being right of first refusal 1 year 2.2mil. We can match what he negotiates elsewhere if we want. 

Alternatively you can be more aggressive, and offer high him and Allen something like 2 year 5mil max deals, containing largely incentivised amounts that they are fighting over. 

I mean Allen can be had as an ERFA for a mil on a one year deal, but I like the idea of matching their deals with the added security of the extra year in case one looks that business.

But if we bring another vet in, it’ll be low ball money for these two.

The fact that he's a RFA makes this much easier. You absolutely bring him back as the RFA tenders aren't very high and if someone matches, we could get like a 2nd rounder for him which would be a steal anyway(nobody will offer that so its a moot point but still). You can still draft someone in the 1st round if a guy you really like falls and if not you have someone young, cheap, and who knows the system.

12 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Was he injured against Carolina?

Meant to say starts.  But obviously, we aren't in court where we are quibbiling over language.   So you are making a point.

I assume your point is being worried about him being injury prone based on his build and history is nonsense?   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Meant to say starts.  But obviously, we aren't in court where we are quibbiling over language. 

I assume your point is being worried about him being injury prone based on his build and history is nonsense?   

No, just simply doubted your statement.  Now that I see you didn't mean what you said, I understand.  I wasn't quibbling at all, merely asking.  

• Like 1

Just now, Number 44 said:

No, just simply doubted your statement.  Now that I see you didn't mean what you said, I understand.  I wasn't quibbling at all, merely asking.  

OK, cool. 

For the Heinicke people here.  I think I am far enough in the deep end of the pool. :ols:   

A.  I am willing to ride on just 1.25 games to fly the banner for him that he's the real deal

B.  I ignore all the Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, etc references

C.  I've put on as much pro Heinicke propaganda on this thread as anyone else

But I am not going that last extra mile by also saying that I am not worried about his size/frame and history of injuries within a limited sample.  From what I've gathered today listening to people who cover the team, I'd be very surprised if another QB isn't introduced into the mix albeit I'd bet Heinicke is back too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Taylor and I are the same exact size.  I love his fire, but can a 170 lb man take hits/sacks from 300+ lb men consistently?  Sadly, I don't think so.

He obviously weighs more than 170 and was being facetious, but he could definitely be closer to 6’0 than 6’1”. 

• Like 2