Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Heinicke made some very good plays today and I think his ability to move and make off-schedule plays was a boon against that SD defense. However, assuming Fitz may be out again for the next game, I'm curious to see what happens when a team actually game plans for Heinicke. 

In every game he's played for us so far he's always been in a situation where the team he's facing probably hadn't watched a minute of tape on him and had game planned for a completely different (and polar opposite) QB.

I'm guessing they'll keep a spy on him and try to force him to stay in the pocket and beat them just with his arm.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

He’s an awesome off schedule qb.  That much I like.  I fear his sub par attributes will get exploited with tape tho

Heinicke is just what the O-line needs until they can gel.  I think they'll settle down but they need more game reps.  With Heinicke, they don't have to be perfect.  Fitz was clearly uncomfortable and ineffective in a dirty pocket.  TH really works a pocket well and the fact that he can flat out run is scary to a defense.  He has to be the guy regardless of what happens with Fitz.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

He provided a spark!  Ryan seemed a little too unsure of what was going on.  I was kind of worried about that when multiple people mentioned that in his 17 years he hadn't run across an offense like ours.  I think that showed.  Also, for all those discounting pre-season, we've looked exactly like we did in pre-season so hope that narrative dies.  Sure, it doesn't matter but when your team comes out looking exactly the same it makes you wonder.

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Heinicke is clearly better than Fitzpatrick.

The final answer! This is what I stated earlier in another thread. Taylor will take Fitz job, this kid can play and all he needs is playing time to be a damn good QB. You can game plan all you want against a kid like this, the biggest problem defenses face is Taylor is always looking downfield 1st, so if they spy him, someone is going to be wide open. Joe Theisman comes to mind when I see this kid play, he deserves and has earned a chance to lead this team.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, owa said:

Also, for all those discounting pre-season, we've looked exactly like we did in pre-season so hope that narrative dies.  Sure, it doesn't matter but when your team comes out looking exactly the same it makes you wonder.

It happens nearly every single year. We step into preseason as we were coming off multiple super bowl wins. 

Taylor plays with a lot of confidence.  Ryan seemed rattled that our line was getting tossed on every pass play. 

Edited by Leonard Washington

Fitz was harassed in the pocket today.    You got me if Heinicke is better than Fitz.  He didn't look better than Fitz in the camp practices I watched this summer.   But Heinicke's thing is special level elusiveness which fit the tempo of today's game well.  I compared him on that front on this thread to Russell Wilson.  Heinicke doesn't have Wilson's level of speed or arm strength but he can evade pressure with the best in the NFL IMO.

My concerns watching him in practice (and to some extent Fitz too) was his accuracy was inconsistent, hot and cold.  More hot than cold but could be frigid cold for spurts.  But maybe that's just practice?  

I think he's a gamer, love his never die attitude with the ball.  My concern remains durability.   So we are about to see if he can stay healthy.  

Part of what I like about his personality is he is brutally honest and seems self aware.  I've heard him say multiple times that while playing the way he did against Tampa was cool, they still lost the game.  He played well against Carolina and also today.  Also losses.  None of those losses are on him.  But to Heinicke's point, i think we need to see a win to ramp up the hype.  And he should be able to do it this Thursday.  I watched the Giants game today and Bridgewater looked like Tom Brady against them.  the Giants defense is decent but its better against the run than the pass and they don't bring pressure from the edge.  It's a tailor made opponent -- pun intended.  

For me Henicke is what intrigues me the most about thursday. 

25 minutes ago, SB17 said:

The guy (TH) reminds me of Gus Frerotte for some reason.  Does anyone think that’s a fair comparison?

Not at all.  Gus was a pure pocket passer.  If we are comparing him to WFT QBs maybe more Joey T?  Smallish like him, elusive and a gamer. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

For all those clamoring for a QB of the future, their desires may be valid, but Heinicke may be the closest thing to a young guy who can provide a spark to an offense and has the mobility as well.  As far the short term is concerned, this is the QB of this team with Fitzpatrick out indefinitely.  IMO, ride with this guy for as long as possible and see what he has to offer and maybe he is future and what they need going forward.

Edited by SAli457180

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not at all.  Gus was a pure pocket passer.  If we are comparing him to WFT QBs maybe more Joey T?  Smallish like him, elusive and a gamer. 

I've been thinking of the Joey T comparisons for a while.

And if my numbers are right, Heinicke is actually an inch taller than Joe was.

And Joe had to throw over the likes of Ed "Too Tall" Jones. ;)

So if Joe's height didn't keep him from winning a Super Bowl, I'm betting Heinicke's height probably won't be a hindrance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I've been thinking of the Joey T comparisons for a while.

And if my numbers are right, Heinicke is actually an inch taller than Joe was.

And Joe had to throw over the likes of Ed "Too Tall" Jones. ;)

So if Joe's height didn't keep him from winning a Super Bowl, I'm betting Heinicke's height probably won't be a hindrance.

Joey T likes Heinicke.  He likes Fitz too.  But I bet he especially can relate to Heinicke. 

• Like 1

I believe this is the first time we'll see Heinicke start, after being announced as Starter from the beginning of the week.

So this will be the first time he gets a full week (even though it's a short week) of preparing as if he's the Starter, along with the #1 Offense ?

So this should be a better gauge at just how good he really is. Maybe all the "virtual game-like" preparation helps him correct some wrongs, and get even better.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Joey T likes Heinicke.  He likes Fitz too.  But I bet he especially can relate to Heinicke. 

Joey T. had a better arm than Heinicke.  By miles.

I said this in the game-day thread.  Lack of arm talent is going to catch up to him eventually.  But until it does, he needs to start.  He's got "it." The team responds to him, he clearly knows the offense, and he distributes the ball well.

And until the league completely adjusts and they start forcing him to throw in to tight windows, which he won't be able to, he needs to start.  

2 hours ago, SB17 said:

The guy (TH) reminds me of Gus Frerotte for some reason.  Does anyone think that’s a fair comparison?

Gus, for any of his other faults, had a cannon of an arm.  He couldn't out-run a turtle in a footrace, he wasn't particularly accurate, but he could spin it. 

Taylor isn't that guy.  He actually reminds me a little bit of Trent Green, though Green's arm was better.  

I've seen Garcia tossed out, and that's apt also, though Garcia also had a bigger arm. But they look similar in stature and play similar styles.  

44 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I believe this is the first time we'll see Heinicke start, after being announced as Starter from the beginning of the week.

So this will be the first time he gets a full week (even though it's a short week) of preparing as if he's the Starter, along with the #1 Offense ?

So this should be a better gauge at just how good he really is. Maybe all the "virtual game-like" preparation helps him correct some wrongs, and get even better.

Yeah, and it will also be the first time he's ever had an opposing team be able to game plan for him as well. Should be interesting to see how those two things balance out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And until the league completely adjusts and they start forcing him to throw in to tight windows, which he won't be able to, he needs to start.  

Not exactly saying you're wrong, but that bomb to McLaurin was a pretty tight window...wouldn't you say? ;)

Now, it's consistency we need to see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Not exactly saying you're wrong, but that bomb to McLaurin was a pretty tight window...wouldn't you say? ;)

Now, it's consistency we need to see.

How was that into a tight window? Heinicke lofted it up and put so much air under it that it gave the Safety plenty of time to make a play on the ball (which he had to do since Terry completely smoked the Corner he was up against).

That ball had every right to be intercepted and probably should have been, but it went through the Safety's hands, and of course Terry made a ludicrous catch after that.

• Like 2

Second the above post. People can  only talk about what a stunning catch it was because the pass itself was so awkward. You can tell from the trajectory as Heinicke releases it. If that was Herbert throwing the ball, Terry most likely catches it in stride, in space and who knows what happens from there.

I get that Heinicke brought life to the offense, but I worry that his limitations are going to get picked on (and for that matter picked off) over the course of a number of starts.

• Thanks 1