Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

He's the quarterback now.  Let's root for his success. You don't have to look good getting off the bus to win football games.  There are plenty of strong-armed QBs sitting at home.

I still go back to the playoff game.  If that is him at his best, we can win a lot of football games with him.

I'm more worried about the defense and Turner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Taylor has a definitive ceiling,  and 16 points against that chargers defense wasn't surprising.  Hes fun but he's not that good, we gonna lose a lot of close games this year if Fitz is out.  And don't be shocked if Kyle Allen ends up starting.

I don’t disagree with you, but Fitz looks washed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

I think Heinicke gives us a better chance than Fitz who looked washed even before the injury. But, we still need to find a QB. Heinicke’s throws seem as if they take forever to get to their target. He can run, so that does give opposing D’s something to game plan for. We’ll see.

Hard to say about Fitz one way or the other based on 6 drop backs. I think saying he's "washed" based on that incredibly small sample size from his very first game on a new team is a bit much. He didn't look very comfortable but that could have been a combination of still getting used to the system and the fact that he had pressure in his face after 2 seconds on almost every throw.

Heinicke having mobility and being slippery in the pocket is definitely his biggest strength, especially if the OL is porous. But his limitations are certainly there as well, so it will be interesting to see what happens when teams actually game plan for him. Then again, he'll also get first team practice reps so it could balance out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Hard to say about Fitz one way or the other based on 6 drop backs. I think saying he's "washed" based on that incredibly small sample size from his very first game on a new team is a bit much. He didn't look very comfortable but that could have been a combination of still getting used to the system and the fact that he had pressure in his face after 2 seconds on almost every throw.

He looked exactly like he did in the preseason...meh.  When Heinicke looked better, it was always because he was playing against the "2's and 3's".  Despite the ridiculously small sample size, the offense moved the ball more in the air when Heinicke came in the game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

11 of 15 for 73% completion rate, and 119.3 passer rating is not accurate enough? With all due respect, get a grip.

Ok, homer.

With all due respect completion rate and passer rating have nothing to do with accuracy. Ball placement and leading the receiver have everything to do with accuracy.

I rewatched some of the throws he made in the game. His short passes were accurate enough but his longer passes were not. The touchdown being a case in point, as well as the insane catch by McLaurin. The receivers did well to make those catches but he'll need to help them more to sustain a decent completion rate over the season. Herbert's accuracy was in a different league and frankly I watched on with envy.

Heinicke's accuracy was commented on by multiple observers during camp. Nobody said otherwise. It's a concern, whether you'll admit it or not. All things considered, I love the guy's moxy and I want him to succeed, the team needs that. I appreciate what he brought to the game and I think he'll always keep things interesting, but unless he puts  the ball in a better spot more often it's going to start having negative consequences.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

1. The offense immediately started clicking when he came into the game.

2. He showed poise in the pocket, mobility, and snap decisiveness again.

3. Nothing about this loss or last year's Tampa loss was really on him.

4. He's still 0-2 as a Washington Football player. Let's see some wins.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

He looked exactly like he did in the preseason...meh.  When Heinicke looked better, it was always because he was playing against the "2's and 3's".  Despite the ridiculously small sample size, the offense moved the ball more in the air when Heinicke came in the game.  

And nobody is denying that we moved the ball better after Heinicke came in. The questions are whether that is actually sustainable or not and if his weaknesses will show up more over a longer sample size. Heinicke has never been in a game for us where the opposing team did any sort of game planning for him.

That doesn't automatically mean that he'll fail or start playing like crap when that's the case, but it's something that puts me in the "wait and see" camp when it comes to him (which is exactly where I have been on Fitz as well, for the record).

He provided a spark and made some nice plays and was fun to watch at times. But without seeing more, especially when there's tape on him and he's the confirmed starter prior to the day of the game, I'm not going to declare him "the guy".

And to be fair, that's basically exactly what Rivera said about him last season after he played well vs TB. We need to see how it plays out. It sounds like he's going to get at least one more shot for sure and possibly more than that depending on how bad Fitz's injury is. So we'll probably have a better idea after a handful of games.

Edited by mistertim

37 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I still go back to the playoff game.  If that is him at his best, we can win a lot of football games with him.

I'm more worried about the defense and Turner.

Im not sure I like Turner anymore at all honestly. I hear the plan, but it then it’s like I never see it on game day. I don’t get it. 

D I’m not em worried about. 

Hien I hope shows the potential we all saw on a consistent basis, problem is health for him I think. He’s not a big guy and the oline is….scary right now. 

9 minutes ago, Chachie said:

1. The offense immediately started clicking when he came into the game.

2. He showed poise in the pocket, mobility, and snap decisiveness again.

3. Nothing about this loss or last year's Tampa loss was really on him.

4. He's still 0-2 as a Washington Football player. Let's see some wins.

All of this. The offense runs so much smoother with TH at QB. We legitimately have not seen this level of efficiency since Cousins was throwing passes in McVay’s offense. 

This doesn’t mean he’s a long term answer at QB. It doesn’t mean that he’s still not an injury risk based on his size. It doesn’t mean his arm is suddenly strong enough to be a top QB in the league. 

But he’s our QB and he’s looked damn good every time he’s played for us. I don’t get the hate… 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Always prefer a QB that has an elite trait in his pocket—Heineke provides that each time he takes a snap. 

It’s very apparent his comfort level in the system is at a high level, which has tremendous value. Great system awareness combined with elite level mobility can be a formula that works over the duration of a season. 

No clue if he can hold up though. 

• Like 2

Heinicke doesn't have a rocket but his arm appears to me to be plenty adequate especially since his legs are elite.

The touchdown pass to Logan Thomas seemed to have plenty of zip on it and it was a perfect tight spiral, he throws very catchable balls and his improvisational skills also seem to be exceptional.

We spend so much time evaluating players based off pedigree that we sometimes get blinders on to what is actually happening versus what we expect to happen and this kid is living proof of that.

If he was a first round pick we'd be looking at what he's done for us in the 3 games he's played and be ecstatic thinking we had our franchise quarterback but because he was undrafted and floated around the league a little we just expect him to come down to earth once defenses game plan for him.

That could happen but for now he's been very solid in relief and I'm gonna stick with the thought he could be our quarterback for the foreseeable future until he gives me a reason to believe otherwise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wit33 said:

Always prefer a QB that has an elite trait in his pocket—Heineke provides that each time he takes a snap. 

It’s very apparent his comfort level in the system is at a high level, which has tremendous value. Great system awareness combined with elite level mobility can be a formula that works over the duration of a season. 

No clue if he can hold up though. 

Durability is probably the biggest issue with him. Hope he plays smart and well for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Florgon79 said:

Durability is probably the biggest issue with him. Hope he plays smart and well for the rest of the season. 

Ironically, it's the lack of durability of 3 other QB's, that led to Heinicke getting the Starting job, not once, but twice.

Last season, Kyle Allen and Alex Smith went down, opening the door for Heinicke to start.

This season, Fitz goes down, opening the door again for Heine.

In addition, Heinicke has never missed any game time for this team at all, due to injury.

So I think it's time he loses this Injury-Prone designation.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ironically, it's the lack of durability of 3 other QB's, that led to Heinicke getting the Starting job, not once, but twice.

Last season, Kyle Allen and Alex Smith went down, opening the door for Heinicke to start.

This season, Fitz goes down, opening the door again for Heine.

In addition, Heinicke has never missed any game time for this team at all, due to injury.

So I think it's time he loses this Injury-Prone designation.

He has played 1 and 3/4s game for us. His proneness to injury has to be looked at over the course of his career. He got injured in the first game he played for us and gutted it out. I like him but lets be real here.

• Like 1