Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No doubt that the offense has perked up, but we also don't necessarily know why that is. Every time he's played it's been a surprised to everyone, including the opposing team, and he's also been the complete opposite of the kind of QB they've been game planning for. He also seems to be a hard working, fiery, and likeable guy who really gives it his all so that helps.

So it could just be that, or it could be that he's really good. Or some combination of them. But I want to see him be consistent over multiple games when the other team actually has tape on him before I make any sort of judgement of him one way or the other. 

And as far as preseason, let's be honest...it's not like Heinicke really did all that much of note either. Played ok, but nothing amazing. 

I think it's a couple things. He's mobile, and he can do a lot with his legs. He also seems to have REALLY good pocket presence. So not only does do do really well getting out of trouble, he can hurt you a number of ways when he does.

The other issue seems to be the offensive play calling. To this point it's been pretty bad, especially in the passing game. It's not really attacking, a lot of WR screens and short, outside throws that do challenge anyone or have much opportunity for YAK. When you're staying on schedule, it doesn't look like much. When you are not, and can break down the defense, it opens up more. Fitz is pretty mobile, it might help if he was going off schedule more.

And there is the issue with no audibles in this offense. I understand it more when you have guys that don't really know the offense, but apparently coaches don't want anyone changing the plays. I don't agree with that.

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling we'll be throwing a parade for when Fitz is ready to regain the starting job.

Are you basing this assumption on Fitz before or after he became the QB for the WFT?  If after, what evidence do you have to make such an assertion?  Fitz could just be a bad fit.  

31 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Are you basing this assumption on Fitz before or after he became the QB for the WFT?  If after, what evidence do you have to make such an assertion?  Fitz could just be a bad fit.  

I'm basing this assumption off of right now. That's what feelings are. They don't require evidence because it's the future. 

3 things.

Scott Turner hath great foresight.

Heinicke hath great offensive insight.

And Turner and Heinicke are very tight...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/scott-turner-told-taylor-heinicke-to-be-ready-last-summer/ar-BB1cHeX5

"I really commend Scott Turner here. This is how thorough Scott is," Heinicke's former Head Coach, Bobby Wilder said. "When all this COVID hit and everybody wasn't sure what was going to happen, Scott reached out to Taylor this summer and said, 'Hey look, keep training, stay in shape, keep throwing the ball, because I may call you later in the season.'

And Scott Turner this summer had the wherewithal to call Taylor and say 'be ready,' and that's the comfort level Scott has. They've known each other now for six years."

Remember, too, it wasn't until December when Heinicke signed with Washington, and that was only to be the 'quarantine quarterback,' a role designed to keep him isolated from the other QBs, in case one or all came down with COVID-19.

Wilder explained that when Heinicke was entering the NFL system out of college -- ultimately going undrafted in 2015 -- Turner, who was then a quarterbacks coach for the Vikings, was the only NFL coach who came to watch Heinicke's workout at ODU. Heinicke ran a 4.62 40-yard dash that day, Wilder recalled.

"All 32 teams were there, all the scouts," Wilder said. "But Scott was the only coach that worked him out and put him on the board, and watched video with him, took him out to dinner to get to know him, so he's really loyal to Scott. And then Ron gave him an opportunity in Carolina [in 2018]."

When Taylor went off for 306 passing yards, a touchdown and interception against Tampa, while picking up another 46 yards and a touchdown on the ground, the only person who wasn't surprised watching from home may have been Wilder.

"Taylor knows Scott's system which, it can be complicated, guys," he said. "There's things in his system that you've got to be smart, you've got to be cerebral, you've got to understand. That's why Alex Smith I thought was good in the system. [Kyle] Allen understood the system. Taylor's a really smart guy, an engineering major and mathematics. The system fit the quarterback and that's why I wasn't surprised, Grant, and that's why I told you guys I felt like if he played, he'd be successful."

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Preseason where he also hardly threw any passes.

So it's all basically just a "hunch".

I'm not saying he was going to light it up or be bad this season. I don't know. I just think anyone saying "Yeah it was obvious that Fitz isn't the guy" based on that small sample size it nuttier than squirrel poo.

Hey, MT! Don't sugar coat it. Tell it like it is!

25 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm basing this assumption off of right now. That's what feelings are. They don't require evidence because it's the future. 

Feelings are subjective and you're entitled to your own.

My feeling, and many others agree with me, is that I've seen a complete lack of magic from Fitz as a WFT QB.  So, if it doesn't work out with TH, I'd rather see Allen or Shurmur.  I doubt very seriously that a guy pushing 40 and getting over a dislocated hip is gonna be any team's savior.  

Edited by ThomasRoane

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

My feeling, and many others agree with me, is that I've seen a complete lack of magic from Fitz as a WFT QB.  So, if it doesn't work out with TH, I'd rather see Allen or Shurmur.  I doubt very seriously that a guy pushing 40 and getting over a dislocated hip is gonna be any team's savior.  

You had me until Shurmur. Nobody could seriously want to see Shurmur. Young or old, Shurmur is Shurmur.

• Haha 1

Nothing to base this on but gut feeling, but at his age, with this injury, and going to be out for six to eight weeks -- I believe Fitz has likely played his last game. There is also the matter of $6M guaranteed on his contract. If the hip doesn't come back, he will go out with a nice nest egg.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You had me until Shurmur. Nobody could seriously want to see Shurmur. Young or old, Shurmur is Shurmur.

Well, lol.  I'd rather see the next Herbert!  Regardless, the WFT will be looking for a new QB next year.  Barring a Heini-CKE miracle season that's pretty much a done deal.  You can never have enough backups in today's COVID and 17 game season/marathon NFL.

Edited by ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

You’ll have to point me toward the quote where I said Heineke is guaranteed to be a top 10 QB when all is said and done. I’m not contradicting anything you’ve said, but I am not taking a pessimistic view of things, either. A good game is evidence (not a conclusion) that his ceiling (not a certainty) is somewhere in the top 10.

You never said that, and I never implied that you did. I was responding to your assertion that it would be enough evidence of him having a top 10 ceiling. I disagree.

I don't think a good game is much evidence for a NFL QB having a certain ceiling. There have been pretty terrible QBs who have had great games. If a QB puts together a string of very good games then I'd be more willing to say that he could have a potential top 10 ceiling.

But one game, or even a few, it just too small a sample size for me, given how many QBs have done it in the past and then flamed out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Favre?

I can understand your comp, but it’s jarring as Favre was known for his rocket of an arm.  I’m seeing a bit more Steve Young in Heinicke personally.  Of course, my comp runs into the same issue - Young had a better arm (and was a lefty).  Watching Young on some of the runs below… similar moxie/recklessness.

Yeah I'm really not feeling the Favre thing.

Favre played plenty of sandlot football and improvised but he wasn't really necessarily a scrambler and he was known for having an absolute cannon arm and being so tough as to be borderline invincible (297 consecutive games is insane).

Heinicke scrambles more, has a very mediocre arm, and has been injury prone so far through his career.

I still say he's closer to a poor man's Romo as he's smaller and doesn't have Romo's arm.

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

That's fine. I just prefer not to have kneejerk reactions. We all handle adversity in our own way.

19 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I was thinking Baker Mayfield. Romo was a good scrambler, but was as slow as molasses. Heinicke can actually run. 

Why stop there? I think Heinie is the next Pat Mahomes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I literally have not seen one person on this forum 'hate' on Heineke, and I've watched folks legitimately hate on pretty much every QB to take a snap for this team for the past however many years.

I think everyone that's not sold on Heineke's ability to take a team to the playoffs would be really, really happy if he actually did.

Yet, I bet for the few of you that are really gung ho about his prospects, if he doesn't play well - you won't be eating your words or calling out the 'haters'.

I honestly can't believe you took that post seriously 😂 it was a joke buddy...

23 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I wasn’t going to bring it up, but did you not see that one underhanded pass?

Whiterick Mahomes is going to make all the haters look foolish. (6 to 8)-1 here we come!

Giants fans think he's better than their QB.

And they admit they just made Bridgewater look like Steve Young.

So they've already chalked up a loss, many of them...and on their way to 0-17 !

Some of them want to insert Mike Glennon ! 😄

https://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/thread/9178/taylor-heinicke-on-thursday

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Giants fans think he's better than their QB.

And they admit they just made Bridgewater look like Steve Young.

So they've already chalked up a loss, many of them...and on their way to 0-17 !

Some of them want to insert Mike Glennon ! 😄

https://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/thread/9178/taylor-heinicke-on-thursday

Say what lol

I heard a rumor on Google news that Redskins might sign Cam Newton. We faced Heinicke last year and beat Washington. Heinicke should stick to making beer!