Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I said this in the game-day thread.  Lack of arm talent is going to catch up to him eventually.  But until it does, he needs to start.  He's got "it." The team responds to him, he clearly knows the offense, and he distributes the ball well.

And until the league completely adjusts and they start forcing him to throw in to tight windows, which he won't be able to, he needs to start.  

Gus, for any of his other faults, had a cannon of an arm.  He couldn't out-run a turtle in a footrace, he wasn't particularly accurate, but he could spin it. 

He's very comfortable throwing to the right, not as much to the left as far as accuracy based on his own admission.  The way I think I'd play him is force him as much as possible to stay in the pocket.  Heinicke seems to be at his best on the move. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I don’t get all the hate on Heinicke? Does he have the arm strength of Allen or Mahomes, of course not. Jeff George had a lot of arm strength and we all know about him. 

I personally look at accuracy, timing, and intelligence more in a qb than anything else. Peyton in his last couple years had very little arm strength and threw wobbly passes all the time but he managed to get the ball where it was needed. 

Lets see how he does for the next few weeks and see if the last few games were a fluke or if he is adequate enough to get us to the playoffs and beyond. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So I think it's time he loses this Injury-Prone designation.

I believe that his injury history and our fear of his lack of durability stem more from the style of his play than any real evidence that he's injury prone.

He hasn't had any major injuries that I know of but he's small and runs a lot taking a lot of hits which naturally is going to make you more susceptible to injuries.

Quarterbacks like Brady who use their legs more to buy time in the pocket and avoid hits are the guys you expect to stay healthy.  The guys like heinicke who's number one weapon is the ability to take off and superman his ass towards the pylon are the ones who tend to get hurt more.

Edited by redskinss

2 minutes ago, my_friend_goo said:

Ok, homer.

With all due respect completion rate and passer rating have nothing to do with accuracy. Ball placement and leading the receiver have everything to do with accuracy.

I rewatched some of the throws he made in the game. His short passes were accurate enough but his longer passes were not. The touchdown being a case in point, as well as the insane catch by McLaurin. The receivers did well to make those catches but he'll need to help them more to sustain a decent completion rate over the season. Herbert's accuracy was in a different league and frankly I watched on with envy.

Heinicke's accuracy was commented on by multiple observers during camp. Nobody said otherwise. It's a concern, whether you'll admit it or not. All things considered, I love the guy's moxy and I want him to succeed, the team needs that. I appreciate what he brought to the game and I think he'll always keep things interesting, but unless he puts  the ball in a better spot more often it's going to start having negative consequences.

Yeah, I readily admit to being a homer when it comes to Heinicke, and there is a reason. Most of you have only seen glimpses of him on the field. Those of us who watched him for four years at Old Dominion know that he is indeed a baller who has "it", whatever "it" is. The fact that he completed 73% of his passes did not come as a surprise to those of us who know his background. He completed 67.7% while throwing for just under 15,000 yards during a four-year college career. In one game he threw for 730 yards (26 points in the fourth quarter) in order to pull out a 64-61 win. He is a very good quarterback with a superb competitive spirit, and he will bring significant numbers of wins to WFT if given the opportunity.

26 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t get all the hate on Heinicke? Does he have the arm strength of Allen or Mahomes, of course not. Jeff George had a lot of arm strength and we all know about him. 

I personally look at accuracy, timing, and intelligence more in a qb than anything else. Peyton in his last couple years had very little arm strength and threw wobbly passes all the time but he managed to get the ball where it was needed. 

Lets see how he does for the next few weeks and see if the last few games were a fluke or if he is adequate enough to get us to the playoffs and beyond. 

And I don't get why it's automatically seen as "hate" when some people say that Heinicke looked good in limited time but that he does seem to have some limitations so they want to see what happens over a longer period of time before getting overly excited. It's not like people are coming in here and calling him a worthless bum or something. 

5 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

My mom played fullback

shocked-burn.gif

3 minutes ago, duffy said:

I think he'd have a W if not for Gibson's fumble. 

This could go so many other ways though, so it's a borderline pointless argument to make. The Chargers would probably have put up at minimum another 2 TDs on us if it weren't for an incredibly bad fumble call and a couple of blatant drops by their WRs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t get all the hate on Heinicke?

Skepticism isn't hate.  Many people, myself included, aren't ready to anoint the guy who went undrafted, who was released by this same coaching staff in 2019, who only called for his services out of desperation in 2021, as the quarterback of the future.  I am willing to concede that it's possible that he's a diamond in the rough, and would obviously welcome it.  But it's okay to remain skeptical about it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

The players believe TH gives them their best chance to have a good season

This.

The energy of the players was palpable as Heinike came in.  Give the guy a chance and let's ride with him for as long as we can this season.  If he ain't the guy, we'll have our chance at a very high pick next draft to get our guy.  If he is, then we have our Kurt Warner or Tony Romo.  Wouldn't that be a fun story to have as part of our franchise.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

He has played 1 and 3/4s game for us. He got injured in the first game he played for us and gutted it out. I like him but lets be real here.

That's not true. He did not get injured in his first game he played for us. His first game was Carolina in Week 16.

He played extremely well that game, for a 102.3 Rating. And did not get hurt.

So he's played more like, almost 2 and a half games for us.

Yes, he gutted it out against Tampa. But still...

He has missed zero time due to injury.

And his performance has not suffered at all, due to injury.

So his bumps and bruises in the Tampa game were a non-issue then, and are a non-issue now.

43 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I believe that his injury history and our fear of his lack of durability stem more from the style of his play than any real evidence that he's injury prone.

I disagree, because I never hear that criticism of other starting NFL QB's, who have a similar playing style as Heinicke.

It seems like, if we get a QB who is not mobile, he gets called a statue; Then if we get a QB who actually is mobile, then he's a "reckless injury waiting to happen"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

This could be an interesting evening for a couple of Old Dominion Monarchs. Starting Outside LInebacker for the Giants is ODU alum Oshane Ximines, or OX as he was affectionately known by ODU fans. You can bet he will blitz at least a couple of times.

Is there going to be a strong showing of ODU fans at Thursday's game in Washington, you think ?

So Ximines must have red-shirted. He spent 5 years at ODU, and overlapped 1 year with TH in 2018.

Ximines apparently was a red-shirt Freshman when TH was a Senior. Wonder how well they knew each other.

But I'm confident in TH's ability to avoid his blitz ;)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

For Taylor, if i had to put money on him being good versus not good, I'd put the money on good.   But I am concerned about his durability combined with our weird bad luck history at this spot with Fitz being the latest to fall.

This organization and QBs don't go well together.  Ditto QBs who have teased at times to potentially be the answer.  i have not forgotten but heck we had spells when some even thought Jason Campbell was the answer especially in the first half of the Zorn season.  Gus.  Heck even Todd Collins tantalized us some. For a little while J. Johnson. Brennan in the preseason.  RG3 being the most notorious case. In retrospect it all sounds ridiculous but it wasn't that way at the time at that given moment.   At the time, we said this time its different.  And I've fallen for some albeit not all of those teases in the moment. 

So I am superstitious to jump on any players bandwagon based on a short sample. But I do like what I've seen from Taylor.  But saying he's the answer seems like bad karma to me.  :ols:  I feel better to keep some healthy skeptcism until the sample size increases.  But I am definitely intrigued. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is there going to be a strong showing of ODU fans at Thursday's game in Washington, you think ?

So Ximines must have red-shirted. He spent 5 years at ODU, and overlapped 1 year with TH in 2018.

Ximines apparently was a red-shirt Freshman when TH was a Senior. Wonder how well they knew each other.

I hope so.  I got a bad feeling that the game will feel like a Giants home game as far as fans in the stands. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope he "barked" hard enough to shut it down, the same way they reported that he "barked back" in response to a reporter asking if Samuel would have surgery ;)

He flat out said aside from Shurmur they aren't bringing in more QBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Yeah, I readily admit to being a homer when it comes to Heinicke, and there is a reason. Most of you have only seen glimpses of him on the field. Those of us who watched him for four years at Old Dominion know that he is indeed a baller who has "it", whatever "it" is. The fact that he completed 73% of his passes did not come as a surprise to those of us who know his background. He completed 67.7% while throwing for just under 15,000 yards during a four-year college career. In one game he threw for 730 yards (26 points in the fourth quarter) in order to pull out a 64-61 win. He is a very good quarterback with a superb competitive spirit, and he will bring significant numbers of wins to WFT if given the opportunity.

In the limited opportunities he's had so far, he's brought "it" and it's been fun to watch. The NFL has a long history of college QBs who had "it" at the college level of play but it hasn't translated to consistent success at NFL level.

Honestly, I won't care if the passes aren't pretty or pinpoint accurate if they keep on ending up in the hands of our receivers, the chains move and the points keep coming. It's a lot to ask at this much higher level of play though.

History is not on Heinicke's side, but it never is on the side of people who defy the odds to change the world. I'll stay grounded until Heinicke shows he can keep "it" at this level in spite of his perceived limitations though.

• Like 1

While I’m not a fan of bringing in Cam to start full time at qb, he would solve the issue of a short yardage runner. We could have him play in certain downs like how Lance and Fields did yesterday. He would help if Gibson struggles in short yardage and help keep Heinicke healthy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I personally will not be able to make it, but I suspect there will be more ODU fans there than normally would be the case. He was extremely popular at ODU as an exceptional player and genuinely modest person. He was hard to not like.