Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Quite a reversal of last year.

At one point, Kyle Allen was starting, and Heinicke was like an afterthought.

Now, Allen is Heinicke's backup.

Kyle Allen was starting when Heinicke wasn't even on the roster.  

And River and Turner really like Kyle Allen.  Don't rule him out as a starter in the future.  

Heinicke should be the starter for the rest of the season, but as others have said, he just doesn't have the arm talent to be a long-term option for this franchise.

Just look at the difference in passes between Herbert and Heinicke yesterday. Herbert was making deep sideline throws, back-shoulder throws on a dime, and threading the ball in tight spaces. Taylor just won't ever have that talent.

Not to mention he is already 28 years old. There's this misconception that he is a "young" QB and can develop, but he's been in this league almost 7 years already.

He is already at his ceiling. And his arm strength is only gonna get worse, a lot sooner than later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Joey T. had a better arm than Heinicke.  By miles.

I said this in the game-day thread.  Lack of arm talent is going to catch up to him eventually.  But until it does, he needs to start.  He's got "it." The team responds to him, he clearly knows the offense, and he distributes the ball well.

And until the league completely adjusts and they start forcing him to throw in to tight windows, which he won't be able to, he needs to start.  

This pretty much sums up my take.  When he ****s it back to throw more than 10-15 yards it's a dangerous situation.  I can easily see some of these coming back the other way eventually.  

I totally get why some folks are holding on to hope for him, because why wouldn't it be great for us to solve our QB problems with a guy like this?  Realistically though, I just don't see how it's possible.  Sure there are examples of limited, weaker armed QB's that have been successful in this league, but those examples get more rare as time goes on, as players get stronger and faster at all positions.

With the way this line looked, he's the best bet to start for us without a doubt.  But my belief that he has the potential to be the QB of our future is at about .00033%.

8 hours ago, Xameil said:

Not exactly saying you're wrong, but that bomb to McLaurin was a pretty tight window...wouldn't you say? ;)

Now, it's consistency we need to see.

Tight window? Sheesh. 🤣

That was a wobbling floater where Terry made an all-pro reception out of it.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

Second the above post. People can  only talk about what a stunning catch it was because the pass itself was so awkward. You can tell from the trajectory as Heinicke releases it. If that was Herbert throwing the ball, Terry most likely catches it in stride, in space and who knows what happens from there.

I get that Heinicke brought life to the offense, but I worry that his limitations are going to get picked on (and for that matter picked off) over the course of a number of starts.

I can't quite see it clearly enough coming out of his hand but did it slip coming out?

15 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

Heinicke at least played like he was trying to make something happen in this game. He needs to be surrounded by 7 foot tall receivers with a sizeable catch radius though, because his accuracy was not conducive to long term success.

11 of 15 for 73% completion rate, and 119.3 passer rating is not accurate enough? With all due respect, get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I can't quite see it clearly enough coming out of his hand but did it slip coming out?

TH had enough throws where you can see clearly his lack of arm strength.  Even on some bubble screens out wide, it felt like it was taking too long for the ball to get to the WRs and really limit potential success of the play.

i do recognize that arm strength isn’t everything but with it, TH really needs to be special.   I am hoping that maybe there is something special there but if not then i guess i hope we crash and burn enough to get us a good draft pick.

A more mobile QB might actually be the better choice after seeing the holes in protection yesterday.  Not even halfway through the first game and we lost our starter due to protection problems.   

Even if we loose accuracy with TH, he still may be the better option at this point and time. 

We will need lots of sparks from him...

"He gave us a spark when we needed it," Rivera said of Heinicke's performance on Sunday. "When Taylor stepped in and brought some energy, that was a huge plus. ... There is something about Taylor; that's a huge positive. It brings a little something."

24 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Nah I didn't look like it. I think with Heinicke's mediocre arm strength he has to really let it sail to get it where it needs to go on deep passes. Not the end of the world, but a pass like the one to Terry is going to be intercepted 9 times out of 10...it literally went right through the Safety's hands.

You can definitely tailor (Taylor?) a system to a guy without much of an arm so you do more short and intermediate stuff, but it does limit what you can do a bit and teams will know that and take advantage of it once they have tape and are preparing for it.

1 minute ago, zskins said:

We will need lots of sparks from him...

"He gave us a spark when we needed it," Rivera said of Heinicke's performance on Sunday. "When Taylor stepped in and brought some energy, that was a huge plus. ... There is something about Taylor; that's a huge positive. It brings a little something."

It was amazing - the tempo was better, the movement inside the pocket was better.  He climbed the pocket a number of times to complete passes that were there to be had.  I just want to know why we don't use more drag route concepts in our passing game to really pressure the linebackers.  I'm scratching my head about Scott Turner's offense.

• Like 2

There is a tempo and fluidity to the offense when Heinicke is in, that much is for sure. I think its clear he's the type of QB we need to make this offense work. Knowing that, it would have made more sense to go after a vet with some mobility like a Tyrod Taylor(as much as I don't like him as a QB, he would have been a nice fit).

• Like 1

I am confident in TH. the offense looked better yesterday after he went in, just like the offense looked better last year when he was in.  I think the arm strength issue is exaggerated, if you are accurate, elusive, prepared, and smart, you can be a great NFL QB.  The great qbs who weren't big time prospects all seemed to have questions about their arm strength, but they had enough strengths to overcome it and succeed.  I don't think THs arm strength is a barrier to success.  I hope with more reps on practice he steadily improves throughout the year.   The team seems to have confidence in him.

I'm more concerned with d line disappearing than THs performance.   Same song as the playoff game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Taylor has a definitive ceiling,  and 16 points against that chargers defense wasn't surprising.  Hes fun but he's not that good, we gonna lose a lot of close games this year if Fitz is out.  And don't be shocked if Kyle Allen ends up starting.

And you should not be shocked when TH leads this team into the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

His arm is on the weaker end of the NFL spectrum, but he’s not Danny Wuerffel. I imagine his ceiling is still somewhere in the top 10 in the league given his elusiveness, creativity, and accuracy. He is basically Rich Gannon- a very late bloomer who relies on being well prepared and having the ability to improvise.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

And you should not be shocked when TH leads this team into the playoffs.

That would be great.  

I’d like nothing more than for TH to prove us all wrong.  I’m certainly not rooting against him.  But I can’t pretend that my eyes aren’t seeing what they are seeing.  

5 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

His arm is on the weaker end of the NFL spectrum, but he’s not Danny Wuerffel. I imagine his ceiling is still somewhere in the top 10 in the league given his elusiveness, creativity, and accuracy. He is basically Rich Gannon- a very late bloomer who relies on being well prepared and having the ability to improvise.

Anyone got a shovel?  It’s getting deep

in here…

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Nah I didn't look like it. I think with Heinicke's mediocre arm strength he has to really let it sail to get it where it needs to go on deep passes. Not the end of the world, but a pass like the one to Terry is going to be intercepted 9 times out of 10...it literally went right through the Safety's hands.

You can definitely tailor (Taylor?) a system to a guy without much of an arm so you do more short and intermediate stuff, but it does limit what you can do a bit and teams will know that and take advantage of it once they have tape and are preparing for it.

Damn we have some negative Nancy's on this board!

How many times did Fitz connect with Scary Terry?  At least Heinicke took chances.

I dunno what is the obsession with people feeling like they need to set us all straight.  We know Heinicke isn't the future.  So what?  What we do know is that the most entertainment and excitement we had for this team was watching them go toe-to-toe with Tampa in the playoffs and Heinicke was a big reason they were even in that game. 

We'd all like to have a Herbert, or Burrough, or a Fields.  WE DON'T!  Yet.  So don't think you (and a few others) need to point out the weaknesses that TH has.  We already know.  You don't have to temper our expectations.  For this year though?  He is the ONLY CHANCE we have at being successful.  Or at least entertaining and fun to watch.  That quarter and a half from Fitz was Alex Smith/Dwayne Haskins type QB play.  The players believe TH gives them their best chance to have a good season.  So, let us enjoy what we can of this year until we get The Guy we really want.

Respectfully,

A fan who just wants a little less negativity

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Damn we have some negative Nancy's on this board!

How many times did Fitz connect with Scary Terry?  At least Heinicke takes chances.

I dunno what is the obsession with people feeling like they need to set us all straight.  We know Heinicke isn't the future.  So what?  What we do know is that the most entertainment and excitement we had for this team was watching them go toe-to-toe with Tampa in the playoffs and Heinicke was a big reason they were even in that game. 

We'd all like to have a Herbert, or Burrough, or a Fields.  WE DON'T!  Yet.  So don't think you (and a few others) need to point out the weaknesses that TH has.  We already know.  You don't have to temper our expectations.  For this year though?  He is the ONLY CHANCE we have at being successful.  Or at least entertaining and fun to watch.  That quarter and a half from Fitz was Alex Smith/Dwayne Haskins type QB play.  The players believe TH gives them their best chance to have a good season.  So, let us enjoy what we can of this year until we get The Guy we really want.

Respectfully,

A fan who just wants a little less negativity

Lighten up, Francis.

Someone asked a question about Heinicke's throw to Terry and I answered with what I saw and with my opinion on it.

You're right, Fitz didn't connect with Terry on any of his grand total of 6 throws. What exactly does that prove?

Will it make you feel better if I say "OMG DID U GUYZ SEE THAT SPARK! PALOFFS HERE WE COME!!1!! IT WAS SO FUN TO WATCH THAT I ALMOST SWALLOWED MY TONGUE AND POOPED IN MY PANTS!!11!" ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gather some folks mistake criticism of Heineke to mean we aren't rooting for him.  I'd love for him to prove me wrong.  I have absolutely nothing against the guy and think his story is awesome.  I think it's great that he had all but given up the hopes of playing pro football and earned himself a few million guaranteed with his one game playoff performance.  

But I'm not about sit here and call that duck he threw to McLaurin a 'tight window' throw, make claims that he's the QB the team wants to play for (how would we know that?), or stack his performance up against the whole 6 drop backs that Fitz had.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1