Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

8 minutes ago, method man said:

Reaves has been solid up until this point. Certainly a better cover guy than Reid

I disagree on #1. The D balled out and allowed only 13 points despite no help from the offense. Darby and Fuller were beasts today

the second half opened with an 8 minute drive.  Yes, we got a turnover and stopped them from scoring.  We still let them take 8 minutes off the clock before we touched the ball

I knew last Wednesday when Haskins was practicing that this game wouldn't go well, I said it in the Haskins thread. When you sacrifice your principles for a quick payoff you will fail, it's not explainable and there's no analytic for it but it's real, call it karma or bad juju or whatever.  There's too many reasons Haskins shouldn't have been out there and his poor play is like 4th on the list.

Very disappointed but I starting venting on Wednesday in the Haskins thread so today was just confirmation of what I knew would happen.

I like Ron, this one will have me confused for a while but we're still in it and unless I hear that Haskins is starting if Alex cant go then I'm putting this behind me and forgetting it happened. Next week is a new opportunity so lets make sure we remove our heads from our asses and actually be ready to play from the start of the game.

Gibson seems like he's ready to explode, can't wait to see him next season, he's running with confidence.

The WR's  have the dropsies and its always at inopportune times.  Thank god for Logan Thomas.

These punt returns (Sims) have been sketchy all year, I don't know if its a confidence thing or he just has really poor quick decision making skills.  He's good for as couple dropped balls per game so he's just too sketchy to put in there when you need to make plays.

Chase is filthy, him Payne and Sweat seem like our core 3 we have to hold onto no matter what when those big contracts start getting signed.

Rest of the D line played well, for Carolina Samuel avg over 7 yds per carry (7 for 52) but Davis had double the carries and him and the rest of the team only avg 2.7 yds on 28 carries.  Kind of a mixed bag there.

As for our secondary, I cant stand watching the other teams WR's sit down in open space and get wide open on quick throws, it drives me nuts, seems like we give that up so easily.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Could have benched him. Same thing to my point.

Benching him due to his play is significantly different than putting him on the COVID list and isolating him, even if the end result is the same (Haskins not playing). Plus you had mentioned this before the part I quoted:

"[Haskins] should have been in COVID protocol for the Team's safety, for his willingness to hurt the team because he was upset about a loss and for the possibility that he could still spread the disease by accident..."

1) He WAS in the NFL COVID protocol for his situation--broke protocols but tested negative and wasn't around anyone known to have COVID

2) You don't use the COVID listing and isolation as a form of punishment...you don't need to, just demote him, fine him, and suspend him

3) He couldn't still spread the disease "by accident"--during practice he's outside, wearing a face mask and face shield and nobody allowed to tackle him, and he's constantly testing daily and they always come back negative, and there was social distancing in the locker room.

Rivera should have made the switch at halftime at the very latest...I was shocked and disappointed he didn't. The rest, though, about COVID and being placed in isolation, doesn't really play any real role in things.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Benching him due to his play is significantly different than putting him on the COVID list and isolating him, even if the end result is the same (Haskins not playing). Plus you had mentioned this before the part I quoted:

"[Haskins] should have been in COVID protocol for the Team's safety, for his willingness to hurt the team because he was upset about a loss and for the possibility that he could still spread the disease by accident..."

1) He WAS in the NFL COVID protocol for his situation--broke protocols but tested negative and wasn't around anyone known to have COVID

2) You don't use the COVID listing and isolation as a form of punishment...you don't need to, just demote him, fine him, and suspend him

3) He couldn't still spread the disease "by accident"--during practice he's outside, wearing a face mask and face shield and nobody allowed to tackle him, and he's constantly testing daily and they always come back negative, and there was social distancing in the locker room.

Rivera should have made the switch at halftime at the very latest...I was shocked and disappointed he didn't. The rest, though, about COVID and being placed in isolation, doesn't really play any real role in things.

Not due to play. Sometimes I swear you argue to argue.

Benching him for conduct. Throw play on top, if you want.

In hindsight of course playing Haskins was a bad move. But the guy behind him was working at Subway last week. I think Rivera felt that he would be letting the team down by making an example of Haskins with a chance to win the division. Haskins played better against Seattle last week, I’m sure they hoped to build on that.

Rivera made the wrong call. He gets paid to make these calls. But it’s not like we had Fitzpatrick on the bench to turn to.

I think it’s a super hot take to say that this somehow stunts our “culture change” (not saying that’s your take KDawg, have just seen it bouncing around). Borderline silly in my eyes.

Lets hope Heineken can play well with a week of prep against Philly. Maybe he gets a win and plays well. I’ve seen crazier things.

42 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

IMO, Rivera has messed up twice this season.  The first time was not kicking the extra point @ the Vagiants.  The 2nd time was today when he continued to go with Trashkins after halftime.  

Totally agree on both points. Not saying we would have won in OT, but now we'll never know. If it did go our way, we'd have won the NFCE by now. And evidently RR has never seen John Beck play QB here because I can't tell the difference between him and Haskins. 

47 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

In hindsight of course playing Haskins was a bad move. But the guy behind him was working at Subway last week. I think Rivera felt that he would be letting the team down by making an example of Haskins with a chance to win the division. Haskins played better against Seattle last week, I’m sure they hoped to build on that.

Rivera made the wrong call. He gets paid to make these calls. But it’s not like we had Fitzpatrick on the bench to turn to.

I think it’s a super hot take to say that this somehow stunts our “culture change” (not saying that’s your take KDawg, have just seen it bouncing around). Borderline silly in my eyes.

Lets hope Heineken can play well with a week of prep against Philly. Maybe he gets a win and plays well. I’ve seen crazier things.

Yeah it was a tough situation. Do you sit Haskins and start a guy off your practice squad? What if that guy completely wets the bed, then everyone lambasts Rivera for not going with Haskins after a decent 2nd half comeback attempt last week.

None of us were high on Haskins but we didn't anticipate him being THIS bad.

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Haskins is our Geno Smith.

He ain't even Geno Smith.

I agree with KDawg that this game really made me wonder about Rivera. How can a head coach get it this wrong?  Is he too loyal?  Did he want to give Haskins a chance in spite of everything and not simply throw in the towel on the young man?  Is Haskins the kind of guy who looks like he has it in practice and then completely unravels in games?  

Regardless, Rivera should have self corrected before half time. After the first pick it was blazingly obvious we didn’t have a chance with him behind center. The whole team knew it. 

Rivera will be raked over the coals for this decision and he deserves to be. It was awful from every angle. Haskins should be cut tomorrow. He should be gone entirely. Rivera has a big week ahead of him as does Scott Turner. On the 4th and 2, we put the ball in Haskins hands...you get what you deserve in life every once in awhile. 

It’s not rational of me but I put that loss directly on 7, 15, and Ron. 

The team doesn’t believe in Dwayne. It’s simple. They were good enough to win today but after Sims completely ****ed us on the PR, all of the momentum was gone and the team lost any semblance of mojo. It must be hard to know that the only shot the team has at winning involves the defense being virtually flawless. The offense is beyond anemic. Dwayne is the worst QB to play here since i was born 28 years ago. Combine that with the off the field crap and it was a recipe for the trash we saw that. 

Ron gets blame bc I don’t understand how he thought Heincke couldn’t be better than Dwayne. Even worse, he brought 7 back in after halftime. 

Inexcusable 

I’ll be disappointed if Sims is active next week and Haskins isn’t cut by tomorrow morning 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It’s not rational of me but I put that loss directly on 7, 15, and Ron. 

The team doesn’t believe in Dwayne. It’s simple. They were good enough to win today but after Sims completely ****ed us on the PR, all of the momentum was gone and the team lost any semblance of mojo. It must be hard to know that the only shot the team has at winning involves the defense being virtually flawless. The offense is beyond anemic. Dwayne is the worst QB to play here since i was born 28 years ago. Combine that with the off the field crap and it was a recipe for the trash we saw that. 

Ron gets blame bc I don’t understand how he thought Heincke couldn’t be better than Dwayne. Even worse, he brought 7 back in after halftime. 

Inexcusable 

I’ll be disappointed if Sims is active next week and Haskins isn’t cut by tomorrow morning 

totally agree with all of this. I’m 40 and I haven’t seen a QB as bad as Haskins take the field for this team, and I saw Heath Schuler. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

the second half opened with an 8 minute drive.  Yes, we got a turnover and stopped them from scoring.  We still let them take 8 minutes off the clock before we touched the ball

This is an absurdly bad take.  So if the other team has a good drive in a game its poor D?  It would take 10 seconds to look up that a defense allowed 3 TD drives a game they would be top 5 in the NFL.  If they allowed the 13 points they did to the Panthers every game, they would be the best D in the NFL.  By 6 points per game.

14 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

This is an absurdly bad take.  So if the other team has a good drive in a game its poor D?  It would take 10 seconds to look up that a defense allowed 3 TD drives a game they would be top 5 in the NFL.  If they allowed the 13 points they did to the Panthers every game, they would be the best D in the NFL.  By 6 points per game.

situations affect how you're judged.  they had a decent game, but things like that keep me from thinking they balled out

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Defense overall came through, as usual.

They've been primarily a 2nd half Defense, and did not disappoint today (as a unit)

They shut out Carolina in the whole 2nd half

They played really well.  The big play that set up the second TD was an obvious hold on Kerrigan.  When you give up 20 (14 actually), you should win the game.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I remember before this game, Skip Bayliss was gloating that "Washington is finally going to have their own Ben DiNucci moment".

Funny thing is, our Ben DiNucci is actually better than our version of Dak Prescott

Skip is a moron.  They went thru 3 quarterbacks.  We are now on 4.  He needs to get his head out of his ass so he can see his fingers and count higher.

Said this in the game thread, but Turner screwed up big time, IMO.  

Run game was killing it - he abandons it.

Qb was terrible all day, and only good receiver was out - throws almost nonstop.

The kicker for me though is that he essentially showed no awareness of the defensive situation.  They’ve been basically carrying the team all year and he abandons the run and forces them to deal with short fields and little rest.  On top of that, I’d argue it was even a little disrespectful to the D going pass heavy so early.  What I mean is that he should have had faith that the D would make stops or create turnovers to give our O a chance.  I’m not soured on him, but this was a poor outing (and why are wrs in the same area so often?  How many have picks have occurred with two guys  going for the same ball?).

Curl gets a star from me.  Forced the should-have-been fumble and picks one off.  Missed a tackle early, but looked good vs the run otherwise (as far as I noticed).  McKissick gets one as well in my book.  Fantastic catch on the wheel route for the td and put us in positive yardage situations all game long.

Holcomb had a nice game I thought.  @KDawg you mentioned a (characteristic) tackle 5 yards down the field for him (I’m right there with you in this frustration of our ILBs not playing downhill enough), but I thought he met the guy pretty close to the LOS (like 1-2 yards past) and just didn’t have the leverage to bring him down.  He often stones guys in that situation.  I was actually pleased to see him coming forward that play, lol.  Anyway, noticed some tight coverage from him and he picked up a sack I believe.  Off topic, but I like the prospects of adding some talent to go along with Holcomb/Hudson.

I’ve mentioned returning Darby next year, and besides the high level of play, I think part of it for me is the idea of messing with the synergy on the defense.  I know the front is making his job easier, but he has made a lot of plays for us, including ones we don’t really see like coverage sacks (odd way to put it, but you know what I mean).

This isn’t a perfect D by any stretch, but they’ve put together a heck of a season.  Another year in the system, further development by the young guys (Young, Sweat, Curl, etc), and Io returning... future is bright for this group.

Archived