Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

WR2 might be over MLB at this point. Holcomb can play MLB at least at a mediocre level. Our WRs outside of McLaurin would struggle to even make most active rosters.

Thats fair, I just don't view WR2 as a high end priority position in general. A TE can be the 2nd option on the team, we just need a consistent WR other than Terry to actually catch 40 to 50 passes. 

Thomas just continues to exceed expectations more and more.

In a short time, I think he's entered Stud category.

He does it all. Routes, catches, runs, blocks, scores, can throw it on option plays.

Then that hurdle he did - I didn't think it was even possible, with his lumbering body. For such a big guy, he's really athletic

Extend him ASAP.

17 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Trying to figure out why we stopped running the ball. Scott Turner seems very clueless at times.

Exactly, especially with Haskins as QB. The running game was working and you have to do all you can to keep the ball out of Haskins hands and run as much time as possible off the clock.

First series for Taylor Heinicke. A couple bad ball (one that could have been intercepted). But he definitely provided a spark, looked comfortable in the pocket and threw with accuracy and touch. In short, ran the offense.

2 minutes ago, Hogs 1991 said:

You forgot the officiating that screwed us out of not 1, but 2 TDs.

Yep. We suffered 3 (if we include the drop by Cam, although I think we still scored on that drive). 

I take one positive from this game. If Taylor starts next week, it opens up the offense early. Read option, roll-out and QB runs and pocket escapes are all in play. Keeps the defense honest and possibly lowers the coverage/slow progression sacks. I also saw more energy from the skill position. Even the linemen seem to hold their blocks longer (or maybe Taylor's pocket movement caused that). 

Reavers and cam sims deserve multiple sad faces. Bostic had a nice game last week, but he was back to his normal self today. Kerrigan should also join the sad face crew.

BOY did we miss McClaurin. He’s always been healthy and I’ve thought what would happen if he went down... just shows how bad our wr Corp is as a whole. 

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I just keep re-watching his plays, and ask "What's not to like or love about this guy ?"

Availability. Book on him seems to be getting injured and put on IR a lot. And for a UDFA, that often means losing your job bc you have the least amount of rope. But makes you wonder if he can stay healthy in the right situation... :) 

1 minute ago, method man said:

Alex plays next week. Seems like he was close this week. Another week of rest should do it. Desperately need McLaurin back as well

Feel like McLaurin could have gone this week if absolutely necessary, but given it was a "losable" game he sat to rest up for the playoff run. I'm sure he was hoping he'd get another two weeks to run after winning today but ugh c'est la vie.

With Alex, Gibson and McLaurin all playing I like our chances. With Gibson, McLaurin and Heinicke, I still feel hopeful.

1 hour ago, method man said:

Alex plays next week. Seems like he was close this week. Another week of rest should do it. Desperately need McLaurin back as well

Hard for me to be that optimistic.

This whole thing started when they said he could have returned in the 2nd half against the 49ers game, if absolutely needed. And he was taken out, purely out of precaution.

It's been up and down ever since. Including Friday when he was full participant and feeling fine.

But now, not only did he miss the game 2 days later, but he was not even active.

Think about that. He went from "maybe starting"...to being the 4th option, with Haskins, Heinicke, and even Montez, all ahead of him.

That's very telling to me.

Apparently he wasn't even close to being ready to play, with 3 unproven guys ahead of him on gameday.

I want to be optimistic, but the reality is telling  me, this is a lingering issue.

The Heinicke lesson should be: Wow Haskins is THAT bad.  Not that Heinicke should not be praised for the small sample size, but for real, he was just doing what a competent QB would do.  

It really goes to show that as much as we can stand to add more playmakers, so much of it is still going to be who is throwing the ball to them. 

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hard for me to be that optimistic.

This whole thing started when they said he could have returned in the 2nd half against the 49ers game, if absolutely needed. And he was taken out, purely out of precaution.

It's been up and down ever since. Including Friday when he was full participant and feeling fine.

But now, not only did he miss the game 2 days later, but he was not even active.

Think about that. He went from "maybe starting"...to being the 4th option, with Haskins, Heinicke, and even Montez, all ahead of him.

That's very telling to me.

Apparently he wasn't even close to being ready to play, with 3 unproven guys ahead of him on gameday.

I want to be optimistic, but the reality is telling  me, this is a lingering issue.

He got a full day of practice on Friday before he saw tightness over the weekend. With the season on the line and perhaps this being his last possible game, he absolutely goes for it

1 minute ago, method man said:

He got a full day of practice on Friday before he saw tightness over the weekend. With the season on the line and perhaps this being his last possible game, he absolutely goes for it

But still - what about the regression I mentioned ; going from 'possibly starting'....to having 3 QB's ahead of you on gameday. This condition sounds significant.

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The reason this game has me feeling so down is because it was a case of a bad team outlasting a horrible QB's inability to do anything to help his own offense.  Heinke comes in with 8 minutes left and suddenly there are plays to be made all over the field.  And don't give me this "off coverage" stuff because every player he threw to had defenders there, but his throws were good.  Cam Sims was interfered with and still ended up with the ball in his hands.  Same with the pass later to Logan Thomas.  Now, I am not anointing Heinke as anything besides "better than Haskins" but at this point that is all we would have needed for maybe half this game to win it.  Just super frustrating that the QB had to perform as bad as Haskins did for this game to be lost.

The defense essentially gave up 13 points, plenty good enough.

I will save specifics for later as I am still pretty frustrated. 

True.  I'm not sure why everything thought that Taylor did well because it was "garbage time."  

There were 9 minutes in the game, trailing by two touchdowns.  We were very much still alive the entire 4th quarter (from 9 minutes to 0:00).

Carolina wasnt playing that total Prevent either... in fact they blitzed more than two times if I recall.  Taylor just knew what to do... rather than hesitate, pretend to throw... then get sacked like Make it Rain Dwayne.

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

We abandoned the run with Gibson too early, IMO.

Ron addressed that in the presser... within 2-3-4-5 minutes, we were down 0-20.  Yay, Sims!

Archived