Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This roster should have won 9+ games.  The Giants and Carolina losses were bad and the product of bad decision making and bad coaching.  He had a top five defense and might end up going 6-10.  That's just not very good.

Before this season, you thought this team was going to win that many games?  Really?  This roster?

Our defense was 27th overall by DVOA last season. 

Our offense was bad last season, 30th overall, or more specifically 29th passing and 26th running. 

Even with Chase Young, you can't reasonably expect this defensive leap that's happened.  I don't know how you spin that to being a negative on the coaches and front office.

The RB's, OL, and one TE (Logan Thomas) have exceeded expectations.  I don't know how you spin that to being a negative on the coaches and front office.

The QB situation as a whole is another topic, but in how they handled Haskins, I can't see how blame can be shifted from Haskins to the coaches.

-Did the coaches tell Haskins to stop putting in extra work after he was named starter in late August?

-Did the coaches tell Haskins he didn't need to listen to teammates in September when they said he should be working harder?

-Did the coaches tell Haskins he should take a week's break from the team after getting demoted?

-Did the coaches tell Haskins he didn't need to worry about Covid protocol at team hotels because he wasn't suiting up at games?

-Did the coaches tell Haskins he didn't need to worry about any form of common sense during a global Pandemic with strippers?

Did the coaches purposefully set up Haskins to fail, or did he just not care?

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't have confidence in this regime, I wouldn't care if everyone was fired at the end of the season and we start over again by first hiring a real GM and turning the franchise over to him.  In fact, I'd think it could save us three or four years of disappointment.  I don't think the team is going to make the changes necessary to salvage this rebuild this off-season.  I think it's unlikely they force a GM on Ron and strip personnel power from him even though that needs to happen.  And I do not think he's going to clean house on his offensive staff even though he needs to hire a new coordinator at minimum.  AFAIC, doing those two things would be fixing major mistakes from the rebuilding and hiring process from last off-season and that's how you begin to salvage this rebuild without completely starting over.

I'm not even going to touch this.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am no expert to say the least.  So this isn't a professional take for studying a scheme.  I would do the same thing I did when I studied the D line, post clips per downs and see what they do and look for patterns  1st and 10.   3rd and long.  3rd and short, etc.

Offense is much more complex than doing the D line.  I do the simple stuff.  Game situations.   Spread.  Tight formation?  RO.  RPO.   Personnel groups.  11?  12? etc.  When do they go play action. Run from the gun?  Run from under center.   I know some route combination concepts but not a heck of a lot.     But really what I do the most is to see if the scheme gets guys open, and I'll freeze those frames.   Nothing too crazy.   It helps a lot when Warren Sharp releases his book every summer.  He gets into all the major offenses tendencies -- its great material. 

Before I got to your last sentence I was thinking you should check out his annual book.  

I respect your dedication.  I used to go to those kinds of lengths but...

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Before I got to your last sentence I was thinking you should check out his annual book.  

I respect your dedication.  I used to go to those kinds of lengths but...

Thanks, I don't always get to it.  I at least plan to at the moment.  But knowing me, I'll be more fixated on studying the draft and potential QB prospects in particular.  Again just for fun, I don't pretend to be an expert.  

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Booger's thoughts could probably go in an entirely different thread, primarily in the Tailgate.  While much of what he said could be tied to Dwayne, it seemed rather small-minded to take it where he took it to, as if there aren't many examples of white dudes that can't get right either.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think he means just black players, he's more "bothered" by the number of black players who do that as a black man. Of course white players do it too, but I think it's less prevalent or at least seems that way in the media. 

12 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think he means just black players, he's more "bothered" by the number of black players who do that as a black man. Of course white players do it too, but I think it's less prevalent or at least seems that way in the media. 

The league is predominantly black though, so their should be less white people doing it, just by the numbers.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The league is predominantly black though, so their should be less white people doing it, just by the numbers.

He mentions that 70% of NFL are black, I just think he means the number of black players who do it period is startling.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think what’s being twisted is he says the league predominantly black and thus why he’s addressing them in particular.  I don’t think he’s saying it’s only them but he’s acknowledging the majority are black thus what he’s talking about would apply to them more than any other race.  We all know there’s been drama players of all races.  I think people are looking at his race comments more than they should.  

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That is what I don't understand.  If you don't really believe in your FO, including the coaching staff, then why support them?  That's just not how you build a championship caliber team.  Square one is hiring the FO and coaching staff you believe in to lead you to championship level contention.  I don't think it's realistic to fix these kinds of structural issues in a rebuild on the fly.  They are important things you have to get right at the beginning.

I’ve been on this site for over 10 years. You’re a super great poster but whether it’s your favorite Wizards or WFT player, you’re always biased to the guys you like.

You got it wrong on Haskins. It’s over. 

RR might not work out here but it will have nothing to do with what happened in 2020. 

I really liked Taylor and our defense. That Sims play, the 2 called back tds really cost us the game. Not to mention Haskins having no vision, particularly in 4th down. 

But i think Hein has a better arm than Allen and has mobility. That TD pass to JDM was beautiful, as well as the one to Logan. I remain impressed with this team. 

I personally never wanted Haskins to take a snap again, after the Seattle game.  But I can't blame them for not starting Heinicke vs Carolina.

Heinicke did more in one drive than Haskins did in the entire first half.

If we keep it within 2 scores going into the second half, if feels like we always have a chance.  Can't remember the last time I felt that way about half time adjustments and the defense in general.

35 point swing if you take into account the bull**** fumble by Sims, the dropped TD by Cam, the bull**** fumble TD call back, and the bull**** holding nullifying a TD pass to Logan. 21 ****ing points🤬  Maybe you can add the INTs and fumble from DH too. The INTs and the fumble (IMO) may have never happened with competent play at the position. I think they all resulted in Panther scores. Nevertheless, this game was illogically a WFT blowout. We really scored 34 points no thanks to the first 3 quarters. Total bull****. 

7 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

35 point swing if you take into account the bull**** fumble by Sims, the dropped TD by Cam, the bull**** fumble TD call back, and the bull**** holding nullifying a TD pass to Logan. 21 ****ing points🤬  Maybe you can add the INTs and fumble from DH too. The INTs and the fumble (IMO) may have never happened with competent play at the position. I think they all resulted in Panther scores. Nevertheless, this game was illogically a WFT blowout. We really scored 34 points no thanks to the first 3 quarters. Total bull****. 

I know man, it hurts. BUT. The silver lining is it got Dwayne booted off the team for good and we still got a shot this weekend. I have a feeling the team will come out angry and motivated, not flat. One can hope anyway!

Not in the OP but probably worth mentioning:

Antonio Gandy-Golden is way behind where he needs to be. As in he has no business on the field as anything other than WR5 running one or two routes. He has timing issues, routes aren't great, not situationally aware. He's a LONG way away from being serviceable. 

He may even be a cut candidate heading into 2021. That leaves our receiving corps as follows:

Terry McLaurin

Steven Sims (Yikes)

Kelvin Harmon (intriguing)

Isaiah Wright (he's a 4 or 5 on most teams)

Emanuel Hall

Antonio Gandy-Golden

Of that list:

Terry McLaurin

Kelvin Harmon

Isaiah Wright

are the only three even reasonably worth thinking could do much of anything at this point. If AGG develops it's a bonus and shouldn't be relied upon.

Wild card is Hall, but he's the same case as AGG.

We have three receivers. One of which didn't play a single snap this year due to injury. One of which is a rookie who struggled quite a bit but seems to have okay hands and can play a little.

When it comes down to it, even just accounting for reasonable production we have one receiver on the roster.

We need significant help with this group. 

This is where a bellcow back helps us. We get McKissick on the field with Gibson. We get McKissick as a receiver out of the backfield or split out. He is a high end receiving option for dump offs and quicks.

Logan Thomas is an excellent receiving option.

We need a Brevin Jordan/Kyle Pitts type and another slot type such as Toney or an outside guy like Dyami Brown in the later rounds. Maybe even a Seth Williams in the later rounds. Or Justyn Ross if he falls. 

But we need a lot of help at receiver. One good one makes the group a LOT better, but still lacking. But capable. 

We need to fix this. I'd add a bellcow so we can use Gibson/McKissick in the slot at times and I'd take the best case scenario receiver/tight end for us at the best opportunity in the draft. 

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We need experienced and established veterans at WR. We have too many young project types. Maybe one will pan out(not counting McLaurin he's already a sure stud) but the rest will likely be out of the league in a year or two.

Problem is cost. We need a lot of veteran types. People want a QB. People want linebackers. People want a free safety. People want OL. People want receivers. 

I hope the team has a plan A, B, C to Z come FA time.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not in the OP but probably worth mentioning:

Antonio Gandy-Golden is way behind where he needs to be. As in he has no business on the field as anything other than WR5 running one or two routes. He has timing issues, routes aren't great, not situationally aware. He's a LONG way away from being serviceable. 

He may even be a cut candidate heading into 2021. That leaves our receiving corps as follows:

Terry McLaurin

Steven Sims (Yikes)

Kelvin Harmon (intriguing)

Isaiah Wright (he's a 4 or 5 on most teams)

Emanuel Hall

Antonio Gandy-Golden

You left out my man Cam Sims. Cam is a good WR3, might even be a poor man's WR2.

Given the makeup of the O and Turner’s scheme, I think this is what I’m looking at:

Adding a slot receiver.  Believe this could happen in Rd 3 or 4 of the draft.

Drafting a later round back that can provide insurance for McKissick and possibly take over for him when he is a FA next year.

Adding an outside receiver to compete for the #2 spot.  While I get the idea of hitting FA, I worry about cost, especially since I think I’d prioritize ILB over WR in FA, and re-signing key guys as well.  

Drafting a mid round TE to develop.  One more year until Thomas hits FA and we could use a viable #2 (not to mention insurance for Thomas).  Adding to that, TE is often a Qbs best friend (though in this offense, it may be the backs).

The one real holdup for me, in terms of ‘putting off’ finding a wr 2 is that if McLaurin goes down, we don’t have an outside guy capable of picking up the slack.  On the flip side, Logan, McKissic and the slot receiver, combined with Gibson making strides in the pass game still provide us with weapons and mismatches.  As Gibson continues to improve his pass pro, 2 back sets should probably take the lion share of snaps anyway.

Archived