Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

Offensive Summary:

-I have said all week long that Haskins should have been in COVID protocol for the Team's safety, for his willingness to hurt the team because he was upset about a loss and for the possibility that he could still spread the disease by accident... He shouldn't have been in the game today. We have had an "abundance of caution" mentality all season long and then we play Dwayne Haskins after what amounts to attempted sabotage of the season because... why again?

Haskins started off extremely rocky. A very high errant throw out of bounds on second down and a throw put a yard behind Thomas when if it was placed properly outside of him would have been a very nice completion with room for YAC. On the second drive, the Team was moving the ball very well on the ground and the one time they opt to go to the air Dwayne Haskins has a fumble (it was a fumble... He lost the ball as his hand was on its way back still and as his arm went forward his hand made contact with the loose ball. He did not control it).

On the third offensive drive he had an impressive pass that sailed 20 yards above everyone's head... Including the defense. Hey, it's better than a turnover. 

The interception in the second quarter at mid field was a backbreaker. Absolutely inexcusable. I'm not even sure where he was going with that ball. 

Then the pick right before halftime. I'm out. I can't even talk about him as a football player any more. Then he's laying down on the bench in the second half. That's going to get memed.

-After the first three and out, it became apparent how important Antonio Gibson and the running game are to this team's success. 

-Barber is very good at what he does... He has a great burst and can net you some yards in the running game. He gets the hard to get yards and he hasn't gotten enough love, specifically from me. 

-Moses, Scherff, Schweitzer, Roullier and Lucas haven't gotten the attention they deserve in these threads (in my defense, it's often very hard to evaluate line play in the spur of the moment). But these guys have gelled as a line and the running game and pass protection need acknowledgment. 

-The first quarter play calling was... interesting. Running the ball well, let's put the ball in Haskins hands. Barber excels in short yardage? Let's give the ball to someone other than him on 3rd and 1. 

-In the fourth quarter, while needing a big score, the strategy was to throw the ball 3 yards downfield and hope we get YAC. I am not sure if I should pin that on playcalling or the personnel involved in calling anything different. I lean toward the latter.

-If Smith can't go next week and it's not Heinecke starting I don't know what to say. 

Defensive Summary:

-Carolina's gameplan, from the beginning, appeared to be to play to the WFT weaknesses and neutralize the strengths. The mark of good coaching from that team. Get the ball out quick and control the line of scrimmage with runs. That was evident as they went for it on 4th down and couldn't get the ball out on time and Bridgewater got sacked for a big loss. 

-Daron Payne has been huge for this team all season long. 

-Kendall Fuller and Darby were excellent in coverage. 

-Sometimes I think Moreland forgets this is the NFL and you're not down when you fall. I love his aggressiveness and his quick twitch play so I don't want to come across as overly negative. But more than once today a receiver caught a pass in front of him and he just kind of stood up without touching them. 

-Chase Young with a big hit to cause a Curl pick. Chase Young with a strip sack. Animal. 

-Sweat had a big sack in a time it was very needed.

-Allen plugged some holes and made run plays bounce to gaps that weren't filled by LBs.

-Linebackers were overall fairly aggressive with their tackles but still not playing downhill. Bostic standing a yard or two behind the first down line while Bridgewater scrambled for a first down was how our linebackers play in a nutshell. 

General Summary:

-Steven Sims is extremely hesitant to field punts. It's almost as if he lacks the confidence to do that job. If that's the case, someone else should be doing it. And then... on the next attempt he fields one by not looking at the ball as he's trying to catch it and fumbles it for a Carolina TD. This is a major coaching issue by leaving him back there despite his inability to actually be a return man.

-Tress Way.

-People don't think there is some reason Smith, despite his lack of high end production, is a winning quarterback beyond circumstance. The team plays with the confidence of their quarterback. When their quarterback can't move the ball, other things tend to break. Maybe not all out. Maybe not everything. But little things that add up to big things. 

-I am in no way out on Rivera. He has done an incredible job with this franchise during some really difficult times and I think he is going to help right this ship. But today... We could have done what we did with Heinecke or Montez. Instead, Haskins was provided preferential treatment and allowed to go out there and play like he did. It was a bad decision. Even veteran coaches make them and can learn and I know he will because I believe he is a smart guy and learns lessons from every decision he makes. I won't hold him to the fire for long for this. But I am very frustrated with this decision. To the point it's the main thing worth talking about after this game. 

But the fact that Heinecke came in and immediately looked like a capable player versus Haskins is further proof that Rivera made a very big mistake in not only allowing Haskins to dress and not COVID listing him, but waiting to play him for as long as he did. It's concerning, actually. 

-Please also note: Washington WITH Alex Smith: 10-5, Washington WITHOUT Alex Smith: 6-26.

Studs/Duds:

*** - Chase Young

** - Daron Payne

*- Fuller/Darby

:( -  

:( :( 

:( :( :( - Steven Sims, Dwayne Haskins, Ron Rivera

Season Totals:

19* - Montez Sweat

14* - Chase Young

14* - Terry McLaurin

13* - Daron Payne

11* Antonio Gibson

6* - Logan Thomas

5* - Morgan Moses

3* - Kendall Fuller

3* - Ryan Kerrigan

3* - Mike McCarthy

4* - JD McKissick

3* - Cam Sims

3* - Cornelius Lucas

3* - Tress Way

3* - Jon Allen

3* - Kam Curl

3* - Ronald Darby

3* - Kendall Fuller

2* - Alex Smith

2* - Deshazor Everett

2* - Cole Holcomb

1*- Fabian Moreau

1*- Jimmy Moreland

1*- Brandon Scherff

1* - Matt Ioannidis

1 :( - Robert Foster

1 :( - Secondary as a whole.

1 :( - Scott Turner

2 :( - Dustin Hopkins

2 :( - Thomas Davis

2 :( - Isaiah Wright

2 :( - Landon Collins

2 :( - Kyle Allen

2 :(  - Geron Christian

3 :( - Troy Apke

3 :( - Offensive Line as a whole.

3 :( - Wes Martin

3 :( - Jabril Peppers

4 :( - Coverage Unit as a whole entire thing: LBs/Safeties

6 :( - Dwayne Haskins

6 :( - Linebackers

10 :( - Steven Sims 

One of the more disappointing loses I can remember. Division on the line, really poor coaching decisions. Haskins at QB. Sims fielding punts. The game was over before the half. Poor decisions, small margins, massive impact on the game.

Abundance of Caution. Ron has fallen foul of his own philosophy by starting Haskins. He thought it was the safe, cautious option and it has crippled the team.

Oh, and our receivers suck, can we stop promoting otherwise.

Rivera compromised his standards and played the "ends justifies the means" game. That's why Haskins got the nod when he should have been suspended. It backfired in a spectacular way. Haskins probably has never played a worse game in his life. Then, to get showed up to that degree by a Covid QB/practice squad player who I think has never even practiced with the team just puts the cherry on top.

If this was a morality play... this would have been the finale.

I disagree that the Haskins' fumble was a fumble. From every replay I saw it was an incomplete pass. The commentators all thought so too. Moreover, the refs stole at least two more touchdowns from Washington. They called the game like they were on Carolina's payroll.

The reason this game has me feeling so down is because it was a case of a bad team outlasting a horrible QB's inability to do anything to help his own offense.  Heinke comes in with 8 minutes left and suddenly there are plays to be made all over the field.  And don't give me this "off coverage" stuff because every player he threw to had defenders there, but his throws were good.  Cam Sims was interfered with and still ended up with the ball in his hands.  Same with the pass later to Logan Thomas.  Now, I am not anointing Heinke as anything besides "better than Haskins" but at this point that is all we would have needed for maybe half this game to win it.  Just super frustrating that the QB had to perform as bad as Haskins did for this game to be lost.

The defense essentially gave up 13 points, plenty good enough.

I will save specifics for later as I am still pretty frustrated. 

disappointing game. 

Yes, it is time for Haskins to go,  I wonder if we can suspend him for COVID violations for the roster spot after letting him play this week.  Declare we were still reviewing the situation.

All that about Haskins doesn't change that the fact the refs were atrocious.  The D was always going to need to play lights out and it merely played pretty good.  The special teams weren't that great either.  Sims muff for a TD was a difference maker. 

and another thing.  I am not enthused about our OC yet again.  I feel like for decades we've had guys who tried to be clever "Everyone knows what we're good at, what if we mix them up by focusing on what we're BAD at!  They won't be prepared for that at all!"

You got to fight...

...for the right...

To paaaaaarty. 

This was not a team fighting. Haskins should not have been on the field. Rivera took the wrong road to keep him at the starting spot. Both from a moral culture pov but also from is on field performance. But the team didn't do itself any favors. Dropped passes. Missed assignments. Missed tackles. Penalties. Missed punts. And a terrible game plan. 

Carolina showed us to just run it. Milk clock and let the D figure it out. We got way to cute and fancy in O play calling. 

27 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Reaves ?

Reaves is very clearly a JaG playing only because of the amount of injuries we’ve had at the safety position. I do realy question why we just didn’t sign Eric Reid to the active roster instead of trying to lure him to the PS.

1). This was a team loss.  We were bad in all phases for the entire 1st half.

2). We got absolutely screwed by the refs today.

3). Haskins was bad.  HineyHiney was better.  Both had a ton of drops from a very dicey WR corps.

4). RUN THE DAMN FOOTBALL.  IF GIBSON/JDK/BARBER DONT GET 40 CARRIES IN PHILLY I WILL BURN MY EARNEST BYNER JERSEY.

I AM ANGRY RIGHT NOW!

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Reaves is very clearly a JaG playing only because of the amount of injuries we’ve had at the safety position. I do realy question why we just didn’t sign Eric Reid to the active roster instead of trying to lure him to the PS.

Reaves has been solid up until this point. Certainly a better cover guy than Reid

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

1). This was a team loss.  We were bad in all phases for the entire 1st half.

2). We got absolutely screwed by the refs today.

3). Haskins was bad.  HineyHiney was better.  Both had a ton of drops from a very dicey WR corps.

4). RUN THE DAMN FOOTBALL.  IF GIBSON/JDK/BARBER DONT GET 40 CARRIES IN PHILLY I WILL BURN MY EARNEST BYNER JERSEY.

I AM ANGRY RIGHT NOW!

I disagree on #1. The D balled out and allowed only 13 points despite no help from the offense. Darby and Fuller were beasts today

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

...Rivera made a very big mistake in not only allowing Haskins to dress and not COVID listing him, but waiting to play him for as long as he did. It's concerning, actually. 

Pretty sure you can't put a player on the COVID list and isolating them unless they test positive.

If they break COVID protrocols but test negative, the team tests the player for:

- Second negative test within 24 hours of initial negative test

- Increased symptom monitoring

- Eight days of daily virus testing

- Regular testing schedule thereafter

I'm pretty sure they did all of that with Haskins.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Pretty sure you can't put a player on the COVID list and isolating them unless they test positive.

If they break COVID protrocols but test negative, the team tests the player for:

- Second negative test within 24 hours of initial negative test

- Increased symptom monitoring

- Eight days of daily virus testing

- Regular testing schedule thereafter

I'm pretty sure they did all of that with Haskins.

Could have benched him. Same thing to my point.

Archived