Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I could not get the game on tv so forced to listen to 980 radio.  The team needs to make changes to the radio broadcast next year.  Do not need 3 people doing the broadcast.  Right now this is either a C or D rated broadcast.  I had to turn it off in third quarter and switch to Red Zone tv.  Does anyone know if they are getting good ratings or not?

Not sure about their ratings, but they were actually doing pretty good at the beginning of the year.  Since we usually got the FOX bottom of the barrel broadcast crew, I frequently turned off the TV volume and listened to 980 instead.

..but since thanksgiving it has taken a nose dive.  There used to be some amusing banter and the three people formula worked okay...but at this point DeAngelo and Julie seem to have redundant jobs.

As someone who has grown sick and tired of fans complaining about the refs at every turn over the years, I do have to say that the refs get 🤔🤨😠 for yesterdays game.  While I agree that the Haskins fumble was indeed a fumble, as he was not in control of the ball as his hand was going forward, that's about the only big call that went against us that didn't feel like robbery.

The phantom whistle prior to the fumble they called back was a joke.  Incredibly early whistle.  And the defense of it by the broadcast team was even worse than the early whistle.  It felt as if they were obligated by contract to defend it.  

Anyone with the all 22, was that a legitimate holding call on the Thomas touchdown near the end of the game?  Sure seemed ticky tacky on such a huge play. 

I thought the defense did their job, as a whole. 

Had I been the coach, I would have, at a minimum, benched Haskins one drive sooner than Rivera did. Sad thing is, that might have been enough to squeak out a win. We'll be second-guessing Rivera for a long time on this, especially if the WFT loses next week. I don't know--not a lot of great choices to be had there.

Hard to say too much about Heinecke, since he was having to run a desperation offense and take more risks than in a normal situation. The moment clearly wasn't too big for him, though, and I won't lose all hope if has to start against the Eagles.

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As someone who has grown sick and tired of fans complaining about the refs at every turn over the years, I do have to say that the refs get 🤔🤨😠 for yesterdays game.  While I agree that the Haskins fumble was indeed a fumble, as he was not in control of the ball as his hand was going forward, that's about the only big call that went against us that didn't feel like robbery.

The phantom whistle prior to the fumble they called back was a joke.  Incredibly early whistle.  And the defense of it by the broadcast team was even worse than the early whistle.  It felt as if they were obligated by contract to defend it.  

Anyone with the all 22, was that a legitimate holding call on the Thomas touchdown near the end of the game?  Sure seemed ticky tacky on such a huge play. 

I tried to key on the hold on the replay, not the best angle but it appeared the O lineman had his hands fairly tight to his body. The Panther D lineman flailed his arms around and did a good

"sell" job. The actual "hold" did not look any worse than what you might see on most every pass play. But like I said, saw one replay and it wasn't the best angle.

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agree with your assessment.  But IMO it didn’t cost Washington the game.  They came out flat snd uninspired in the biggest game of the season.  They didn’t deserve to win ...the better team won.

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I tried to key on the hold on the replay, not the best angle but it appeared the O lineman had his hands fairly tight to his body. The Panther D lineman flailed his arms around and did a good

"sell" job. The actual "hold" did not look any worse than what you might see on most every pass play. But like I said, saw one replay and it wasn't the best angle.

It was a very minimal hold and Schweitzer let go almost immediatly. The Panthers player screamed as if someone got murdered though and then the ref threw the flag. Stuff like that is sooo frustrating because they did not call anything the entire game. A hold like that occurs on basically every snap. It's borderline robbery to start calling such a soft thing in the redzone 3 minutes before the game is over when you haven't called anything all game. It's like the holding call last week against us on the 4th down hail mary to end the game. There was absolutely nothing there and they did overlook a couple of very obvious holds against the Seahawks (e.g. on that long Wilson scramble). Why would you start throwing these flags 2-3 minutes before the game ends when you overlooked holdings left and right all game?

Even though we have noone else to blame but us, the refs yesterday sucked big time, there is no way to sugercoat it.

4 minutes ago, Csup said:

Agree with your assessment.  But IMO it didn’t cost Washington the game.  They came out flat snd uninspired in the biggest game of the season.  They didn’t deserve to win ...the better team won.

Perhaps not cost, but certainly influenced the final outcome.  I can't blame the team for coming out flat with Dwayne behind center.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps not cost, but certainly influenced the final outcome.  I can't blame the team for coming out flat with Dwayne behind center.

The team "knew" Haskins is trash.  They had no juice because he can't do anything.  The only good drive we had with Haskins was just all runs.  Then, he doesn't feel pressure and coughs up the ball.  If we start Heineke, we win that game.  I get why Ron didn't do it (figuring Haskins's 2nd half performance last week), but he should have been pulled after that fumble.  He's just a trash quarterback.  No team is going to sign him this off-season.  

I am a huge Ron fan and still am - but if he benches Haskins at half time, we likely win this game. He did absolutely nothing to earn the second half. Hienicke needs to start next week if Alex cannot go. Will be more than disappointed if haskins even plays much less start. I will also be very disappointed if haskins is still in Wash next season. He simply does not have the mentality to be a NFL QB and doesn't seem interested in learning. Let him go. He can be someone else's project. 

Defense balled out. I saw some suggesting they were jsut OK. They gave up 13 pts including 0 in the second half, and that's with several TOs! Sorry, they can't keep everyone to 0. The other teams are trying too. 

Need a new punt returner. Have not seen anything that justifies keeping Sims back there. Having said that, there may not be anyone better so there is that. 

Refs had a bad day but they are not why we lost. We lost because we got outcoached and outplayed, period. Need to get Philly then this game is jsut a memory. Will not matter. 

2021 wish list in order:

QB 

WR

FS

OL

LB

Ron sold his values out for a redemption story and it blew up in his face.  If he loses the team as result especially if we lose the next game that’s all on him.  His first conference he made it clear it was his way or you are out.  Haskins went outside his way multiple times and he got rewarded.  That proved disastrous yesterday as the team had no passion except maybe defense.  That’s 100% on Ron. 

38 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

That’s exactly what I saw as well at the time.  I’ve watched Ryan Kerrigan flail his arms around for his entire career and never gets a flag.

32 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am a huge Ron fan and still am - but if he benches Haskins at half time, we likely win this game. He did absolutely nothing to earn the second half. Hienicke needs to start next week if Alex cannot go. Will be more than disappointed if haskins even plays much less start. I will also be very disappointed if haskins is still in Wash next season. He simply does not have the mentality to be a NFL QB and doesn't seem interested in learning. Let him go. He can be someone else's project. 

Defense balled out. I saw some suggesting they were jsut OK. They gave up 13 pts including 0 in the second half, and that's with several TOs! Sorry, they can't keep everyone to 0. The other teams are trying too. 

Need a new punt returner. Have not seen anything that justifies keeping Sims back there. Having said that, there may not be anyone better so there is that. 

Refs had a bad day but they are not why we lost. We lost because we got outcoached and outplayed, period. Need to get Philly then this game is jsut a memory. Will not matter. 

2021 wish list in order:

QB 

WR

FS

OL

LB

I completely agree. Only thing I'd argue to a point is Ron not putting Hienicke to start second half. Ron did state that his decision to start Haskins this week was based on how he finished the Seattle game. Add in the fact that the 1st half deficit wasn't necessarily entirely on DH but on special teams fumble, receivers dropped passes. Not to mention the time consuming drive that Carolina had delayed the entrance of Hienicke even more. It was clear that Haskins wasn't seeing the field and moving the ball but I dont think we can put it on Ron.

15 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Ron sold his values out for a redemption story and it blew up in his face.  If he loses the team as result especially if we lose the next game that’s all on him.  His first conference he made it clear it was his way or you are out.  Haskins went outside his way multiple times and he got rewarded.  That proved disastrous yesterday as the team had no passion except maybe defense.  That’s 100% on Ron. 

ron is a players coach.  He did not start Haskins without talking with team leaders.  So I seriously doubt he loses anyone.  If he gets back on the field then that’s on Ron. I will be really disappointed.  

Just now, NYSkins21 said:

I completely agree. Only thing I'd argue to a point is Ron not putting Hienicke to start second half. Ron did state that his decision to start Haskins this week was based on how he finished the Seattle game. Add in the fact that the 1st half deficit wasn't necessarily entirely on DH but on special teams fumble, receivers dropped passes. Not to mention the time consuming drive that Carolina had delayed the entrance of Hienicke even more. It was clear that Haskins wasn't seeing the field and moving the ball but I dont think we can put it on Ron.

I get I be an arm chairing it. But I would have made the change.  That pick at the end was horribble.  But I guess I can see why he didn’t.  .  

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

ron is a players coach.  He did not start Haskins without talking with team leaders.  So I seriously doubt he loses anyone.  If he gets back on the field then that’s on Ron. I will be really disappointed.  

Not to mention this was a case of Ron believing that the QB that gave us the best chance to win yesterday's game was Haskins. Not a redemption decision.

My need list:

1. QB (but I’m not sure what avenue yet, but just to cover bases...

If by Draft... Lance

If by FA... Dak(but he won’t get to us I don’t think) so Fitzmagic

If by Trade... this one is harder and I’m not sure until I hear who may actually be available but I’d love it a guy like Watson was out there. He won’t be. 

2. Linebacker - Down hill run stuffer who might even be “just eh” in coverage.

3. Slot receiver/detached TE OR outside receiver (if we move McLaurin to the slot)

4. Bellcow Back

5. Free Safety

6. Wide receiver 

7. Linebacker

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

What do Eagles and Redskins have in common besides bad winning records?

Answer:  They have offensive play callers who pass much more than they call run plays and to the detriment of both teams. Skins need to run the damn ball on Sunday night unless they are several touchdowns behind at halftime.

What makes it even more ridiculous is the temperature: both outdoor and cold in winter.  That's when the run wins you games.  It looked like our receivers hands had ice blocks on them yesterday.  Frankly, unless we are down by 21 in the fourth quarter, we should be running (I'm being hyperbolic, of course...but not by much).  We got a whole lot of problems on offense, so I'm not gonna say Turner is the only problem we have...but his play calling is really startin' to chap my arse.

Archived