Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

50 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The Heinicke lesson should be: Wow Haskins is THAT bad.  Not that Heinicke should not be praised for the small sample size, but for real, he was just doing what a competent QB would do.  

It really goes to show that as much as we can stand to add more playmakers, so much of it is still going to be who is throwing the ball to them. 

The fact that Taylor was getting ready for finals at ODU, hadn't played in 2 years and was able to run the offense is extremely damning for Haskins. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I just want to add ; I love Darby.

Not just his performance, but his attitude.

Just looking at the guy, not just during plays, but between plays, on the sideline, off the field, etc ; he's just all business ; all professional ; really takes his job seriously, and to put it in simple terms : no bull **** at all

I wish Rivera would have benched Jamarcus Haskins in the first quarter. To be honest with you I quit watching the game before halftime, thanks for the feedback.

I get Ron holding out hope for DH. But what that tells me is that hope is pretty much gone. Three other QBs on this team ran the offense. They weren't world beaters. But they ran the offense. DH did not. His arm and his college numbers is what got him to this point. Its what got him chance after chance. Frankly I would always be weary of Ohio State QB moving forward. QBs there are always afforded the best players in the country. Looking back, I wonder how many TD Burrows would have had at OSU? 

I do not agree with the explanation that we needed to go pass heavy because we got behind. Football is a team game. Our D was getting beaten by long physical drives. You already help your D if you then at least can get them a rest. Run the ball. Get 3,4 yards per carry. The formula to success doesn't change. It's we play though D, keep the score close and try to wrestle to a win. This season is just not a good look on Turner imo. 

What I did like. Second half. Our D was hitting hard. Carolina beat our D down first half but second half we where hitting harder. 

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

I get Ron holding out hope for DH. But what that tells me is that hope is pretty much gone. Three other QBs on this team ran the offense. They weren't world beaters. But they ran the offense. DH did not. His arm and his college numbers is what got him to this point. Its what got him chance after chance. Frankly I would always be weary of Ohio State QB moving forward. QBs there are always afforded the best players in the country. Looking back, I wonder how many TD Burrows would have had at OSU? 

There was one play this game where you saw why he was drafted. The pass to a wide open Cam Sims after some scramble. His feet where not set. Technique was not good. But pure on arm strength he got the ball to the other side of the field. That's something you can't teach. But he just looks so lost. He has got an arm but outside of that he lacks all the tools. Not setting his feet, not looking away from target's, not beeing comfortable in the pocket, not beeing comfortable when rolling out, not reading the D, not hitting the open target..

That game took a lot of wind out of my sails. I don't even care about next week now. 

Haskins shouldn't be around the team anymore

Cam Sims I don't blame, because Haskins has no touch on his throws. He should have caught it, but it's not all  on him.

I can understand Ron thinking Smith would be ready to go and at the last minute, he can't so Dwayne seems like the smarter choice going in. I have no idea why he started in the second half. Maybe to just drive home to Snyder that the kid sucks and is bad for the team. One last chance in an evaluation year.

AGG pretty much his first game and he gets Haskins in a **** it game and then Taylor throwing to him. I hold judgement on him.

AG is a monster

Our defense is legit, but damn what a LBer or two could do for us.

I will now stop arguing against Sips stance that QB at all costs.   :ols: 

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That game took a lot of wind out of my sails. I don't even care about next week now. 

Haskins shouldn't be around the team anymore

Agree on both counts. That game has done me for now. At least with the flexed kick off time I won’t actually see the game. I think Rivera has disappointed me more than anyone this week.

I'm not even going to get into Haskins' play. Everybody saw the game, the guy is a train wreck. I think his issues go way beyond just being a bad football player, he appears to have some mental issues as well. Not sure what Rivera was thinking by playing him in the first place, let alone sticking with him as long as he did. I know this sounds like hindsight, but I was calling for Heinicke or Montez at halftime of the Seattle game last week. 

Rivera had two legitimate reasons not to play Haskins yesterday- 1) His play sucks and 2) His bonehead move at the stripper party last Sunday night. But he didn't pull the trigger on benching or suspending him and it was costly. I don't think Rivera will lose the team over the decision to play Haskins, but I'm sure a lot of the players are questioning the move. 

The other thing about Haskins which is total speculation on my part, is that he almost looks like he might be on some kind of drugs. He always looks checked out and staring off when they show him on the bench and he keeps mentioning in his pressers how he has to "Keep praying" and get "His life together". Guys usually don't say they "Have to get their life together" based solely on sucky play- there's usually something else going on. It could be that his confidence level is just so low that he's really down on himself, but either way, I think Haskins' issues go beyond him just not being a good football player and the kid almost sounds and acts like he's reaching out for help.

21 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

The other thing about Haskins which is total speculation on my part, is that he almost looks like he might be on some kind of drugs. He always looks checked out and staring off when they show him on the bench and he keeps mentioning in his pressers how he has to "Keep praying" and get "His life together". Guys usually don't say they "Have to get their life together" based solely on sucky play- there's usually something else going on.

He needs to see a shrink asap to fix his imaturity and recklessness.

The highlight of my holiday season was when the announcer said "that will be it for Dwayne Haskins for the day and probably in a Washington uniform" or however he said it. Other than Albert Hanyesworth Dwayne may be my most despised Washington player ever. 

Get this spoiled diva out of here, he likes being a football player more than he likes football and you can't win with players like that.  

I think Darby deserves 3 stars, I can't remember him giving up a catch. When he was targeted he got a hand in there to defend the pass and whenever they showed him on replay he always had near perfect coverage. Fuller was excellent as well (especially on screens) but he was beat by DJ Moore on a deep route that would have gone for a TD if Bridgewater hadn't missed.

I also think Scott Turner deserves to be called with the duds because he went away from a run game that was working extremely well as soon as we fell behind 7 points and on 3rd and 1 early in the game he chose to run it with Logan Thomas when we were gashing them up the middle with our running backs. Dude has got to step it up, especially early in games. Carolina went 80 yards on our asses without attempting a single throw. If the opponent can't stop the run why go away from it? Especially if your QB is Haskins.

11 hours ago, carex said:

the second half opened with an 8 minute drive.  Yes, we got a turnover and stopped them from scoring.  We still let them take 8 minutes off the clock before we touched the ball

That was the longest 8 minutes too.  I was ready to flip the channel if Simba started the second half but I had to wait 8 minutes before finally flipping away.  

I don't blame Ron for allowing Haskins to play due to any Covid-19 related issue. Haskins was cleared to play by the league and heavily fined for his error. End of drama, time to move on. I do blame Ron for allowing Haskins to play due to the fact that he is not a very good QB.

Even if Haskins looked like the best option in practice, it became glaringly obvious that he couldn't get it done during the game. He should have been benched at half time at the very latest, the end of the first quarter would have been better.

I had never even heard of Heinicke until last week, but what a difference he made when he came on. He had control of the offense, found open receivers and turned Logan Thomas into Superman, all this with only taking six snaps in practice with the first team. If Smith can't go next week then I'm fine with Heinicke starting.

The defense only allowed 13-points in the first half and shut-out Carolina in the second. Four sacks, nine TFL and an interception, awesome stuff. That one 80 yard, run-only drive to start the second half was disappointing but overall it was a stellar performance.

I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of play-calling to really criticise, but we did seem to ditch the running game a bit early. 

The asterisk formatting has reached an all-pro level of excellence and my OCD thanks you. (I'm sure that last sentence will confuse the **** out of most people, but @KDawgknows what I mean, 🙂).

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

The other thing about Haskins which is total speculation on my part, is that he almost looks like he might be on some kind of drugs. He always looks checked out and staring off when they show him on the bench and he keeps mentioning in his pressers how he has to "Keep praying" and get "His life together". Guys usually don't say they "Have to get their life together" based solely on sucky play- there's usually something else going on. It could be that his confidence level is just so low that he's really down on himself, but either way, I think Haskins' issues go beyond him just not being a good football player and the kid almost sounds and acts like he's reaching out for help.

I think it is the play.  He's shellshocked, cause he sure doesn't start the game looking like that

5 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Burrow wasnt exactly playing with bums at LSU in the SEC.  

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Haskins vs. Heinke is a perfect example of how little a laser arm matters when you have no idea how to play the position. Heinke comes in and is throwing downfield to Cam Sims and Logan Thomas right off the bat.  For a guy who has been on the practice squad most of his time here, he came in and didn't have much hesitation at all to throw downfield.  

I'm sick and tired of arm strength being used to measure quarterbacks.  As you've noted, it got us dick **** with Haskins.

Give me accuracy.  I want the most accurate quarterback in the draft.  Because if he's accurate, he's already accounted for his arm strength.  He knows if he can fit that ball in that window 25 yards downfield or not.  It was obviously a small sample size for Heinke but the difference was extremely noticeable.  

I will smear my feces on the wall of my living room if we draft some kid who's got a cannon for an arm but has accuracy issues.  

8 hours ago, mhd24 said:

He can't be worse than Haskins.  At least he's got some wheels and pocket presence.  In one drive, his footwork and balance was so much better.

The ball also got out much, much faster with Heinicke.

Anyway, I digress.  Rivera shouldn't have started Haskins this week....I get why he did, but to give him as much leash as he did into the second half was inexcusable.  Especially if you have a guy like Heinicke who knows the offense.

We abandoned the run way too quickly.  Gibson was averaging 6.1 yards per clip but we got down two scores early and I think Turner **** himself.  I don't understand this logic, if you're down two scores in the first half, there's still a ton of game left to go...and you can still run it effectively.  Keep the ball out of their hands, control the clock and grind out two scores and you're right there.  Keep your defense fresh.  And don't let Haskins throw it.

Steven Sims is thanking his lucky stars right now that Haskins was as bad as he was and Rivera is getting a lot of scrutiny for his poor decisions.  

If Haskins has a uniform on next week, it's a terrible idea.  They shouldn't even let his bum ass in the stadium.  

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

I don't blame Ron for allowing Haskins to play due to any Covid-19 related issue. Haskins was cleared to play by the league and heavily fined for his error. End of drama, time to move on. I do blame Ron for allowing Haskins to play due to the fact that he is not a very good QB.

Even if Haskins looked like the best option in practice, it became glaringly obvious that he couldn't get it done during the game. He should have been benched at half time at the very latest, the end of the first quarter would have been better.

I had never even heard of Heinicke until last week, but what a difference he made when he came on. He had control of the offense, found open receivers and turned Logan Thomas into Superman, all this with only taking six snaps in practice with the first team. If Smith can't go next week then I'm fine with Heinicke starting.

The defense only allowed 13-points in the first half and shut-out Carolina in the second. Four sacks, nine TFL and an interception, awesome stuff. That one 80 yard, run-only drive to start the second half was disappointing but overall it was a stellar performance.

I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of play-calling to really criticise, but we did seem to ditch the running game a bit early. 

I think Ron just isn't a guy a you really want handling your QBs.  This Rivera/Turner combo makes me very nervous when it comes to picking the next QB, for a bunch of reasons.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm sick and tired of arm strength being used to measure quarterbacks.  As you've noted, it got us dick **** with Haskins.

Well yeah, because arm strength is the only thing that Haskins has going for himself. However, totally dismissing arm strength is also not the way to go. I agree that you'd rather make compromises there than with other traits but you need a certain amount of arm strength to make throws consistently in the NFL. The Panthers defense isn't very good, they got carved up by Drew Lock, but when you play better defenses and need to hit small windows or throw off platform you need some juice.

For us though, after that Haskins debacle, accuracy would be good enough for now.

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

Well yeah, because arm strength is the only thing that Haskins has going for himself. However, totally dismissing arm strength is also not the way to go. I agree that you'd rather make compromises there than with other traits but you need a certain amount of arm strength to make throws consistently in the NFL. The Panthers defense isn't very good, they got carved up by Drew Lock, but when you play better defenses and need to hit small windows or throw off platform you need some juice.

For us though, after that Haskins debacle, accuracy would be good enough for now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for a noodle arm QB.  But I think if you've played at a reasonably high level in college and you've been drafted by an NFL team, you probably have enough arm strength.  You might not be John Elway or something but that's ok, not everyone can be.  

There is a baseline amount of arm strength you need to be a viable NFL starter. But anything beyond that isn't necessary. Nice to have? Sure, but not at the expense of other attributes.

The most important traits for a QB are accuracy, quickness of release, and pocket awareness/maneuverability.

Im just still salty about the length of game minutes Rivera gave DH.. He might of been the best option available to start the game, but after the first 20-25 minutes, coach should of seen more than enough. Whatever, it's done. Not sure what to hope for next week. I think I'll go with "stay healthy" and leave it at that. 

4 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Im just still salty about the length of game minutes Rivera gave DH.. He might of been the best option available to start the game, but after the first 20-25 minutes, coach should of seen more than enough. Whatever, it's done. Not sure what to hope for next week. I think I'll go with "stay healthy" and leave it at that. 

I sort of get it.  Whatever good football Haskins has played in his career, it's mostly all in the second half.  His only win of the season was rallying from 17 down in the opener.

I could not get the game on tv so forced to listen to 980 radio.  The team needs to make changes to the radio broadcast next year.  Do not need 3 people doing the broadcast.  Right now this is either a C or D rated broadcast.  I had to turn it off in third quarter and switch to Red Zone tv.  Does anyone know if they are getting good ratings or not?

Archived