Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Panthers

KDawg

58 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Fortunately in the context of an "evaluation year" which we all thought this year would be, we can now definitely close the book on Simba. And to the extent it matters, not even Danny Boy will disagree.

Exactly, what I was thinking.  It’s easy to let go Haskins and not look back, it’s not a situation where you’re on the fence like Cousins.  The holes on this team are obvious and are fixable.

When it comes to Heinke, maybe Rivera felt that over the course of an entire game he wasn't prepared enough, which is why he waited so long to put him in.

It makes me wonder if Alex Smith is not practicing by Tuesday, will Heinke be getting 1st team reps?  I don't even want to make this about overly-praising Heinke and instead frame this as just how awful Haskins looked.  For all we know if Heinke was in there for an entire half, Carolina would adjust and he'd hit a wall, but Haskins was bad from the very first pass to Logan Thomas for an easy 1st down (and more) that he threw behind him.  He never recovered.  He had the one good improvised play on the run, but after that went right back to being bad.

It is just so frustrating that with this defense and running game up against a 4-10 team, the bar is so low for what you need out of your QB to win this game, yet Haskins couldn't even meet that expectation. 

For Week 17 I assume Alex Smith will be back unless he has any setbacks, Gibson seemed to come out of the game fine, and I am hoping McClaurin is back.

I am actually not in the camp that is worried about the Philly game.  Could they go out and lay another egg? Sure, but I think this team with competency at QB would have beat Seattle, won today, and will take care of Philly next week.  The common denominator in this offense falling apart is Haskins.  Gibson & Mclaurin make the offense go, but there are some other guys on the team that can contribute enough to beat Philly if they have a capable QB throwing to them.

2 hours ago, carex said:

the second half opened with an 8 minute drive.  Yes, we got a turnover and stopped them from scoring.  We still let them take 8 minutes off the clock before we touched the ball

When your offense throws 3 picks, fumbles a punt for a TD, and kicks 3 field goals, of course it’s going to make the D look bad because they are going to be on the field the whole game. Haskins inability to run the offense at a professional level allowed Carolina to run time off the clock because our defense was tired from being on the field.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

But the fact that Heinecke came in and immediately looked like a capable player versus Haskins is further proof that Rivera made a very big mistake in not only allowing Haskins to dress and not COVID listing him, but waiting to play him for as long as he did. It's concerning, actually

Ron said the reason he kept him in after the half was because how he did against the Seahawks in week 15.

The problem I had was how easily Ron forgot about the 1sr two quarters of the game instead.

At the least Haskins should have been pulled in middle of the 3rd quarter instead.

1 minute ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Its been obvious the ENTIRE YEAR he cannot play the position. Not after one half or two halves or whatever. He is legitimately the last ranked qb out of 40+ qbs to play this year. He is the worst qb in the league by far. 

Slight correction:  its been obvious since day 1.

3 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Its been obvious the ENTIRE YEAR he cannot play the position. Not after one half or two halves or whatever. He is legitimately the last ranked qb out of 40+ qbs to play this year. He is the worst qb in the league by far. 

Which is why he was benched in the first place.

And guess what? Half the fan base(at least)tore him up for that too.

There is no winning for some people.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You're not wrong that he got torn for it, but even so, he's the veteran coach on his first year of a new contract with a new team: If you decide that someone's playing like benched trash, you bench that trash. Fans don't matter. We can **** and whine all we want, but if he thinks something is right, just do it. Winning always speaks louder than an appeasement to a minority of the fanbase.

I just think about the "what could have been" this week. I was advocating for Haskins to be cut after what he pulled last week. To me, that would've been FAR more important a message to send than the one Rivera did when he chose to keep Haskins as the starter "for the sake of the other guys." Which turned out to be laughable after that performance. 

Players seem to react most strongly when you really challenge them. Go for two and the win against the Giants? Players loved that decision. Go for it on fourth down in your own territory? That gets them fired up. Cut a guy who basically spit in the face of the whole team as they're battling for the playoffs and go with someone who no one knows because you choose to make a statement about what your team is going to be about moving forward? THAT would've had this team fired up, too, imo. It's easy to say that in hindsight. But I could see this coming. 

Someone made a good point earlier in the week, too, that this whole situation may have shaken Dwayne's confidence in himself with all this negativity now heaped on him (for good reason). Having an unknown entity come in and be a solid game manager vs.  Haskins and all his mistakes may have been the better call from solely a football perspective, too.

Ron made some really bizarre decisions early this season. I cut him some slack for that, and the last few weeks have been exciting. But he really, REALLY blew it this week, imo. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This was Ron directed.

Yes - but thats why he gets paid. The fans who wanted him to play were wrong then and they are wrong now.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You're not wrong that he got torn for it, but even so, he's the veteran coach on his first year of a new contract with a new team: If you decide that someone's playing like benched trash, you bench that trash. Fans don't matter. We can **** and whine all we want, but if he thinks something is right, just do it.

Well said.

We can't cut him due to the cap ramifications. Yeah it sounds great in theory but you have to take all of that into consideration as well. Is it worth wrecking your team's finances and offseason flexibility just to "send a message"? When we can't sign a key FA in the spring because of the cap hit we took cutting Haskins people will kill Rivera.

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

I just think about the "what could have been" this week. I was advocating for Haskins to be cut after what he pulled last week. To me, that would've been FAR more important a message to send than the one Rivera did when he chose to keep Haskins as the starter "for the sake of the other guys." Which turned out to be laughable after that performance. 

Players seem to react most strongly when you really challenge them. Go for two and the win against the Giants? Players loved that decision. Go for it on fourth down in your own territory? That gets them fired up. Cut a guy who basically spit in the face of the whole team as they're battling for the playoffs and go with someone who no one knows because you choose to make a statement about what your team is going to be about moving forward? THAT would've had this team fired up, too, imo. It's easy to say that in hindsight. But I could see this coming. 

Someone made a good point earlier in the week, too, that this whole situation may have shaken Dwayne's confidence in himself with all this negativity now heaped on him (for good reason). Having an unknown entity come in and be a solid game manager vs.  Haskins and all his mistakes may have been the better call from solely a football perspective, too.

Ron made some really bizarre decisions early this season. I cut him some slack for that, and the last few weeks have been exciting. But he really, REALLY blew it this week, imo. 

I was advocating and predicting hed be cut after his tummy aches and unfollowing of the team. BTW, did he follow them back after he got the nod again?

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

We can't cut him due to the cap ramifications. Yeah it sounds great in theory but you have to take all of that into consideration as well. Is it worth wrecking your team's finances and offseason flexibility just to "send a message"? When we can't sign a key FA in the spring because of the cap hit we took cutting Haskins people will kill Rivera.

Yeah, just cut him post June 1 anyways.  No teams wants him anyways.  He's not going to be in the NFL regardless.  

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Biggest needs on team: QB >>>>> MLB >>> FS / WR2

We really need to fix these positions this offseason. 

The Sims's, Bostic, Reaves, and quite honestly every QB on our roster needs to be upgraded. These guys make too many costly mistakes for our team. 

WR2 might be over MLB at this point. Holcomb can play MLB at least at a mediocre level. Our WRs outside of McLaurin would struggle to even make most active rosters.

41 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

When your offense throws 3 picks, fumbles a punt for a TD, and kicks 3 field goals, of course it’s going to make the D look bad because they are going to be on the field the whole game. Haskins inability to run the offense at a professional level allowed Carolina to run time off the clock because our defense was tired from being on the field.

your logic is theoretically sound but pays no actual attention to the game that was played

they had just had a fifteen minute break because half time.  A five or six minute drive is considered good enough to rest a D, probably even less than that.  So fifteen minutes should be plenty of time for them to be fresh at the beginning of the half, fumbling a punt for a TD puts your OFFENSE back on the field because the team that recovered for the TD kicks it off, it's when you muff the punt and they don't immediately score that the D has to go out longer and one of Haskins INTs was with one second left in the half.  Also there were only two INT

yes, our offense was terrible and the D was drained by the fact the Panthers had the ball 11 minutes longer than us.  But 8 of those minutes came immediately after half time

Haskins vs. Heinke is a perfect example of how little a laser arm matters when you have no idea how to play the position. Heinke comes in and is throwing downfield to Cam Sims and Logan Thomas right off the bat.  For a guy who has been on the practice squad most of his time here, he came in and didn't have much hesitation at all to throw downfield.  

25 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Slight correction:  its been obvious since day 1.

Jay Gruden agrees more than anyone

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Haskins vs. Heinke is a perfect example of how little a laser arm matters when you have no idea how to play the position. Heinke comes in and is throwing downfield to Cam Sims and Logan Thomas right off the bat.  For a guy who has been on the practice squad most of his time here, he came in and didn't have much hesitation at all to throw downfield.  

Yea, people have been in love with Dwayne's sexy arm for too long.

You just can't live off of that, in the NFL

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

WR2 might be over MLB at this point. Holcomb can play MLB at least at a mediocre level.

Oh yeah.

Cole grew in this game.

Runningbacks are gradually learning - you try to run up the middle - and you're gonna meet Cole in the Hole.

I've watched the replay and coach 22 in the past. But no need to do that for this game. Referee debacles, dropped passes, missed assignments on defense, a significant ST debacle, and of course horrid QB play. Now relating to the QB: you don't pull a QB if the offense is stagnate due to the defense or even if the OC is calling a bad game. You may not even pull him if you believe he'll catch fire (which was Ron's explanation for keeping him in the game). You pull him when you see plays like this and/or when you see the rest of the team's body language. Case in point

After the play what Lucas walk away shaking his head:

Archived