Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

That tweet about what would be needed? Hell no. It would mean 1&2 this year, 1&2 next year, Sweat and Payne. 

no.

btw, trading huge assets on the DL, ok. Whatever. Trading high end picks that would be needed to replenish said talent ... is the problem. 

Okay you can re-sign Kerrigan and the drafting some mid round DL this and next year in hopes of striking gold, but you weaken the DL. Not to mention no premier picks to address longterm talent issues at LT, WR, CB ... spots that usually require high picks. 

hard pass

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Burgold said:

There's a part of me that is curious about Trubiski on a cheap, salvage deal if we can get it. I hear him bad mouthed a lot and I don't think he is a pro bowler (although he might have one under his belt,) but he helped get the Bear's to the playoffs twice. He seems to be one of those up and down QBs that when the light turns on he's pretty good, but that way too often he hasn't even screwed a lightbulb into the socket.

That said, if he signed a "prove-it" contract, I'd be curious what he could prove.

Was thinking this last night after the Stafford trade.....for the right price it might be worth it. Maybe a 5th?

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

FYI the Rams went 4 years without a 1st round pick and still found themselves in the 2nd round of the playoffs, even with a crappy QB. Now they have a good QB and will probably be the favorites in the NFC.

Just sayin'  

They also had a much more polished roster to begin with when they started this draft pick trading non sense.

2 minutes ago, Mooka said:

I don't think that's even a hypothetical though unless you throw in Chase Young.

Houston needs a top 3 pick in their haul for Watson. 

I'm not certain it's NOT enough, but of course none of us will never know unless Houston does actually trade him and we see the deal. 

But they're not getting a top 3 pick out of this draft.  A. They don't want to send him to an AFC team, and if you're sitting already on a top 3-5 pick and have a chance to draft one of the top 3 players in the draft, why even spend that much capital to get a QB who may or may not even be better than what you could have drafted by staying put? 

I think Carolina, Detroit or Atlanta were our only real competitors here, and Detroit is likely now out of the mix unless they really are playing some high level chess here. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Trubisky, Tyrod, Mariota. All stopgap options. Perfectly fine kicking tires if we strike out elsewhere. But that would need to be paired with a QB. If someone falls to 19 great. Or go R2 with an upside guy like Newman. 

I don’t know about Newman, man. He looked very Haskinsesque yesterday.

Held the ball too long, indecisive, happy feet. His mobility helped a bit but he made some really bad decisions with the ball. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we are willing to trade the farm for Watson I think our current roster falls short of the goal (Lombardi) and the trade crushes our multi season outlook to do the same. 

I think he is blinded the success and the fact that his GM reports to him means there is no one looking out for the long term health of the franchise. 

Don't think Watson would fit the Ron-centric setup... is Ron gonna commit to run FO decisions by Watson?   That's the reason he wants out of Houston...

Edited by megared

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That tweet about what would be needed? Hell no. It would mean 1&2 this year, 1&2 next year, Sweat and Payne. 

no.

btw, trading huge assets on the DL, ok. Whatever. Trading high end picks that would be needed to replenish said talent ... is the problem. 

Okay you can re-sign Kerrigan and the drafting some mid round DL this and next year in hopes of striking gold, but you weaken the DL. Not to mention no premier picks to address longterm talent issues at LT, WR, CB ... spots that usually require high picks. 

hard pass

The interesting thing is Houston is still acting like Watson is not available and will play for them. They are telling teams as much. It’s possible the Texans’ stupid owner and his crazy Rasputin will pull a Bruce Allen. I’m hoping they goof around trying to force Watson to come back into the fold past the draft, and the Jets, Miami, and other teams use up all their  picks. By June, when Watson is still not budging, they are forced to trade him. Competition will still be robust but cap space and new QBs will limit it. And that’s when we pounce. Trade Watson for Jon Allen (if we can’t come to a LTD) or Payne and next years first and second and first in 2023.

Edited by seantaylor=god

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't know about that.  They started trading 1st round picks in 2017 following a 2016 season where they were the worst team in the league at 4-12.  

Their defense was loaded. Their offense was pretty ho hum. But that 2016 season was a lame duck head coach season. 

They traded their 2017 first for Goff, which looked really bad and then looked really good and then finished really bad. But I’d say it was a sound investment to trade up for a rookie contract at QB (their biggest mistake here was signing Goff early to such a huge extension when they had the greatest asset of all: the five year rookie window). They immediately turned things around in the 2017 season with the removal of Fisher. 

If you’re going to trade assets trading them for the five year rookie contract window makes a lot of sense. But they extended Goff early...

Instead they had to add more to the deal to get Goff’s contract out of their hair and likely cost them additional assets.

They are eating $30M in dead cap and are -35M over the cap at the moment. 

Trading for Stafford was a win now move for a team that has to win now because it’s going to be in trouble. Part of the reason they have such massive cap issues is because they didn’t have the rookie contract windows to play around with because they traded the assets for expensive players.

Once you go down that road it’s tough to not stay down it as necessity dictates maneuvers.

I’d like to not break the seal there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

But let's be honest...

Are we this close we need to go all in on a QB? If feel like not...

Definitely not.

Many keep forgetting that this team went 7-9 and made the playoffs only because it played in a historically bad division.  And even then it backed into the playoffs when Pedersen tanked for a draft pick.

There are many holes on this team.  Slow and steady as she goes is the way to go.

• Like 4

I do not think we would get Watson even if we tried hard to get him.  We have to be realistic concerning how our franchise is viewed by NFL players and their agents.

Right now Washington is still not a preferred destination for top free agents.

If we get to the playoffs next year then maybe the narrative changes among agents advising their star players.

Do we ever hear guys around the NFL saying they want to come to Washington?

Slowly Rivera is helping us to get our reputation back but what the Danny and Allen did to this franchise was make us a least preferred destination.

Just trying to set more realistic expectations about getting a top free agent quarterback.  Hope the new General Manager regime will prove me wrong

but we will know in a few months what is happening at quarterback for us.  Smith's contract still bugs me and I do not think you can keep him as

the backup quarterback and paying him what we owe him.   Very similar situation to the Eagles paying Wentz a small fortune to be the backup to Jalen Hurts.

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know about Newman, man. He looked very Haskinsesque yesterday.

Held the ball too long, indecisive, happy feet. His mobility helped a bit but he made some really bad decisions with the ball. 

Considering he didn’t play this year and went to a game with teammates he never had I wouldn’t put too much stock into his performance.

The Stafford story reminds me of the Amari Cooper story. We gave our best offer, which was quite generous, and Detroit/Cooper went in a different direction. In the end, we managed well enough without Cooper, and I tend to think we'll do the same without Stafford. It would have been nice to have him, but so it goes. What I like about RR and co. is that we don't smell of desperation. Confidence born out of self-respect, in the end, is the best path toward success. Any sign of desperation erodes that confidence. I hope a quarterback falls to us. Maybe we have one already in T.H. I hope we move forward with the kind of confidence and self-respect that RR engenders.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Definitely not.

Many keep forgetting that this team went 7-9 and made the playoffs only because it played in a historically bad division.  And even then it backed into the playoffs when Pedersen tanked for a draft pick.

There are many holes on this team.  Slow and steady as she goes is the way to go.

I disagree with this sentiment.  We have a window of opportunity now while the division is terrible.  Looking ahead to next year, the Cowboys will have Dak back, and will be a threat, and the Giants will have an opportunity to improve their team through FA and getting Saquon back.  Philly will probably be in the basement for a while, since they’re WAY over the cap, and they have a new coach, and big questions at QB.  As it stands right now, we have the best defense in the division, and we’re a solid QB away from running this division for the next few years at least.

Starting next year, the Bucs and Packers will probably be the favorite last in the NFC, but outside of that?  Seattle has question marks, the Saints are gonna be without their HOF QB, and the Rams will be a wild card team at the very least.  We need to strike while the iron is hot, because if we squander our opportunity to get a top shelf QB, we’re gonna miss our opportunity to compete for the NFC championship, since our young defense will start to get expensive with their contracts coming up in the future.

Ill finish with this, the league is not meant to be patient and having things fall into place.  You could just as easily lose your opportunity for a window just as one opens.  We only have about 1-2 years left, before we have to start paying everyone on our defense plus Scary Terry.  If we roll out with what we have currently next year, I’m not even sure that wins the division for us. We HAVE to get a QB, for us to start being a perennial contender.  Otherwise we’re a fringe 8-8 team as it is, in a terrible division.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Definitely not.

Except we ended the season 5-2, and those two loses were the two games Haskins had to play because of injury. With a QB like Stafford or above we are easily into the playoffs with a much better record.

And Hurtz and the Eagles were LOSING when he was pulled and he had 70 yards passing all game. He was not some dominate player who left the game beating us. How did they hand us the game when they were LOSING?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

You might be right. In fact, you probably are. I've only studied Trubisky from afar. Not really paying attention, he seems like one of those QBs everyone complains about that somehow does better than the other guys on their roster. He seems to win. I also remember seeing some good mobility out of him.

It's probably a bad sign that when I try to remember plays that made me take notice they are almost all with his legs and almost none with his arm.

Still, if he signed for effectively a vet min contract, I'd wouldn't be grabbing a pitch fork.

He reminds me of Romo. At least from the perspective of his appearance.

I think Trubisky could be a cheap acquisition. A new environment might help revive his career.  He had enough bright moments in his career to see his potential. 

Let's give him a chance.  I do believe that he could be like Tannehill when he went to the Titans. 

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Who’s to say Watson would waive his no-trade clause to come here?  Stafford obviously had no wishes of playing here.

Do you know this for a fact? I didn't see this reported anywhere....where he may prefer L.A, who's to say he wouldn't have come here had LA not been an option?

9 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

The Stafford story reminds me of the Amari Cooper story. We gave our best offer, which was quite generous, and Detroit/Cooper went in a different direction. In the end, we managed well enough without Cooper, and I tend to think we'll do the same without Stafford. It would have been nice to have him, but so it goes. What I like about RR and co. is that we don't smell of desperation. Confidence born out of self-respect, in the end, is the best path toward success. Any sign of desperation erodes that confidence. I hope a quarterback falls to us. Maybe we have one already in T.H. I hope we move forward with the kind of confidence and self-respect that RR engenders.

Similar in some ways but different too IMO.  A QB and a WR is apples to oranges as for making up a roster.  We are getting some noise that they really really want a QB bad.  It might not feel of desperation but they aren't keeping that secret well kept. 

the vibe wasn't as intense last year as for adding a WR to help Terry.  But it could end up the same in that after Cooper there wasn't really an attractive plan B (albeit R. Anderson proved to be a nice get for Carolina in the end).  So where i think its the same if there is not attractive plan B , i don't think they'd do something crazy like give Fitzpatrick 25 million dollars a year. 

1 minute ago, bonhommelemec said:

He reminds me of Romo. At least from the perspective of his appearance.

I think Trubisky could be a cheap acquisition. A new environment might help revive his career.  He had enough bright moments in his career to see his potential. 

Let's give him a chance.  I do believe that he could be like Tannehill when he went to the Titans. 

So you'd go Trubisky over Allen and Heinicke? 

12 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

It wouldnt stay exactly but it would be enormously expensive for the next three seasons.  Not to mention the Falcons would have 49m in dead cap.  It aint happening.

This thread needs a nap.  My god.

Trade would make it less dead money and a post-June trade designation would save them 23 million this year (with 26 dead pushed into next year).

Trading team would have 23, 23, 28ish mill hits. 

Not likely, but at 36 million under they need to be creative.

image.png.5159d3be3957118187b9ffffacda1d8f.png