Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

9 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Thats why it’s kind out of left field.  Analysts can say we’re all in but that doesn’t matter if you have nothing to give.  Being a team that makes senses to do something and the actual reality of what is needed are completely different.  I just feel like we’re gonna turn on ESPN and find us having made some block buster deal.  I don’t think we’d hand over the farm but I think after the Stafford thing we make a legit push.  Watson may actually go for it too.  He wants to win and he wants a fresh start.  We got a top 5 defense and a second year coach coming off a division title.

I get the impression when Keim and Finlay said it they weren'rt just speculating but heard it from someone with some juice over there.  But who knows.  Will see. 

I think you have no choice but to give up the farm if you want to be a serious bidder for Watson.  I don't see how they can outbid the Jets and Miami though,

1 minute ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Damn, as much as I enjoyed the division win and playoff game, I’m seriously now thinking we’d have been better off losing that Eagles game and drafting 10th instead of 19th... sigh...

I know lots that feel the same as this, I know it’s a big hit but think of the wonders it would have done for the players we already have, for the Allen’s, Payne’s etc. This was the first taste of success in the NFL and I think they’ll take a lot of confidence from it moving forward with us

I know it hurts us in the QB stakes but never regret winning football matches 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Damn, as much as I enjoyed the division win and playoff game, I’m seriously now thinking we’d have been better off losing that Eagles game and drafting 10th instead of 19th... sigh...

Yeah, at the time I wanted to win the division. Now I’m like dang, kinda wish they kept Hurts in 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

I know lots that feel the same as this, I know it’s a big hit but think of the wonders it would have done for the players we already have, for the Allen’s, Payne’s etc. This was the first taste of success in the NFL and I think they’ll take a lot of confidence from it moving forward with us

I know it hurts us in the QB stakes but never regret winning football matches 

Bingo..couldn't agree more

1 minute ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I didn't want to lose that game but I'd say if they were picking10th I'd take this Trey Lance consolation talk by some more seriously.

I've thought for some time Lance is an even bigger unlikely outcome than Stafford.  A zillion needy QB teams picking before us. There is growing belief that QB's with mobility are the right wave for today's NFL.  Yet somehow we leap all the way from 19 over all these QB needy teams and grab our man.  Yeah anything is possible but for it to happen IMO you likely either have to give up the farm or get very lucky. 

draftorder.png

• Like 1

• The Washington Football Team had an aggressive offer for Matthew Stafford before he was traded to the Rams. 

The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala said the Football Team's offer for Stafford "was better for the Lions this year than what the Rams offered." The Rams landed Stafford on Saturday in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick, and Jared Goff. Apparently Washington's offer for Stafford wasn't as loaded on the back end, but may have included a bigger draft pick haul for this year. It's noteworthy that the Football Team made an aggressive push for Stafford -- they're clearly not committed to heading into the 2021 season with Alex Smith as the team's unquestioned starter. Ron Rivera's team could be a dark horse to sell out in pursuit of Deshaun Watson in the coming months. Washington could also land a free agent signal caller. Unrestricted free agent QBs this offseason include Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, and Mitchell Trubisky. 

•  
    Jan 31, 2021, 9:09 AM ET

•  
  •  
  • Thanks 1

I'll give Fowler credit he was the first to say the WFT was in on Stafford.

38 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Who’s to say Watson would waive his no-trade clause to come here?  Stafford obviously had no wishes of playing here.

But you got to remember Watson was trying to escape a dysfunction owner.  Why wouldn't he see this as a place to escape that?    :ols:

This could be deceptive tweeting. After all, for Washington's bid to be better "in immediate" terms all they would have to do is offer more than a third and the equivalent of Goff. In other words, Washington could have offered a second and Landon Collins and had the better 2021 trade deal. 

I suspect Washington offered more, but the wording is vague.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

This could be deceptive tweeting. After all, for Washington's bid to be better "in immediate" terms all they would have to do is offer more than a third and the equivalent of Goff. In other words, Washington could have offered a second and Landon Collins and had the better 2021 trade deal. 

I suspect Washington offered more, but the wording is vague.

That was my impression too, that all it means as far as 2021 picks is that we offered higher than their 3rd, which isn't saying much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't want to lose that game but I'd say if they were picking10th I'd take this Trey Lance consolation talk by some more seriously.

I've thought for some time Lance is an even bigger unlikely outcome than Stafford.  A zillion needy QB teams picking before us. There is growing belief that QB's with mobility are the right wave for today's NFL.  Yet somehow we leap all the way from 19 over all these QB needy teams and grab our man.  Yeah anything is possible but for it to happen IMO you likely either have to give up the farm or get very lucky. 

draftorder.png

My gut say you may want to throw a circle around Philadelphia as well......

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
  • Washington could also land a free agent signal caller. Unrestricted free agent QBs this offseason include Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, and Mitchell Trubisky. 

•  

If they end out going this route it means they missed trading for any legit long term starters. 

Also that they would be going into FA without the starting QB being settled, making it tough to bring in day one FA targets

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bad teams like our teans under Bruce tend to double down on their mistakes versus fix them.  All teams make gaffes.  So playing off the fact that the Rams made a big mistake giving Goff a big contract like that and then they were able to unloaded whats left of it anyway on another team -- I think that was well done.  And I am not alone on that.

If you think it exposes McVay as a boob like he's a Bill O'Brien clone and dumping Goff and obtaining Stafford backfires.   Cool.  Will see. 😀

McVay's good but I don't think he's the genius the media has made him out to be.  You got people saying Goff can't read defenses and if that's the case then why did McVay sign off on that extension when Goff had another year and 5th year option year left on his rookie deal?  Seems it's just finger pointing after mistakes and some injuries.  And I don't see Stafford as a big upgrade.  The Lions feasted on the Rams stupidity IMO.

• Like 1

The value of the picks LA sent for Stafford was equivalent to a 2021 2+2+3 and that’s generously valuing the 2023 1st as a 2nd instead of a 3rd since it’s 2 years out. 

not to mention taking on Goff’s contract. 

so WFT could have offered #19 and a 2022 2nd and it would be a “better offer” than what the Lions got. Unless the Lions truly view Goff as a + in that deal v. The negative many assign due to the contract. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dyst said:

Yes, now they have two 1st round picks in ‘22 (their own + Rams), and two 1st round picks in ‘23 (their own + Rams) + they get a starting QB and a 3rd round pick. It’s a great deal for the Lions.

It doesn't mean they'll use those picks wisely. I've seen this movie before.

half kidding, but I would call Philly and tell them you’ll take Wentz contract off their hands in exchange for their 2nd round pick. But I can’t imagine the Eagles would trade in division. If Wentz gets moved it makes sense to send him to Indy. 

my sense is that’s the next move. Philly sends Wentz and a pick to Indy 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

That was my impression too, that all it means as far as 2021 picks is that we offered higher than their 3rd, which isn't saying much.

Multiple reports were that multiple teams had a first rounder for 2021 as part of their package.    I would guess the Rams were the only team to offer two #1s in order to make up for the fact that they had no #1 picks this year. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The value of the picks LA sent for Stafford was equivalent to a 2021 2+2+3 and that’s generously valuing the 2023 1st as a 2nd instead of a 3rd since it’s 2 years out. 

not to mention taking on Goff’s contract. 

so WFT could have offered #19 and a 2022 2nd and it would be a “better offer” than what the Lions got. Unless the Lions truly view Goff as a + in that deal v. The negative many assign due to the contract. 

I would've been ok with 19 this year and a 2nd next.  

I can't imagine the lions look at goff and that contract as a positive.  Maybe just to appease fans with a known name as their qb entering 2021, but he would not get that contract on the open market today.

For a team with so many areas needing to to be upgraded in quality, the rumors of Washington going all in with draft picks for Watson, or even a top-9 2021 draft pick QB, seems like more of that old "Future is Now" mindset that eventually gets the franchise in trouble.

Maybe, for the Rams....   their future IS now, and their giving up so many 1st founders can be justified as their strategy of having a real chance at winning a Super Bowl in the next couple of year before their window closes.

But Washington? ....I don't think the WFT FO should go overboard, and conclude that just because they made the playoffs this season, that it's now "Future is Now" time.  WFT barely backed into the playoffs, with a losing record, playing a 4th place schedule, and versus team that due to injuries, COVID, or internal troubles, weren't as strong as they normally would have been.  There were still lots of question-marks at some of the WFT's skill positions, the O-line, LBs, and even some of the defensive secondary. 

While the team has improved, at least from a team-mindset perspective, and some holes in the roster have been patched, it's far from a solid roster.  So instead of going all in on another quest for a 2021 top-tier Franchise QB, during a seller's market, maybe WFT can get by in 2021with a mix of accurate transition QBs, while the FO continues to  mitigate the impacts of all those Bruce Allen era decisions, and perhaps free up even more cap space to obtain/retain the quality players we really need to have for the team to continue improving.  Let's continue building the foundations before pursuing the prized centerpiece "franchise QB".  The better the supporting cast, the better the chances for having that franchise-level talent suiting up at QB for the WFT.

While I appreciate the mindset of Ron's team on how good the WFT is after this last season... I strongly feel that WFT's future still in the future, not in Jan. 2021, and that the FO going all in for another QB, now, would be premature.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Multiple reports were that multiple teams had a first rounder for 2021 as part of their package.    I would guess the Rams were the only team to offer two #1s in order to make up for the fact that they had no #1 picks this year. 

Right, and I'm guessing the rams said "ok, we will give you two 1s since we don't have one this year, but you have to take goff of our hands if we do that".  

• Thanks 1