Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I'm a little surprised that all the chatter on here is primarily about Stafford. 

Am I the only one that is all on on Watson?!? I can't be, right?! 

There is no price too high. Doesn't matter the haul we give away. He's worth it. Make it happen, and let's build a team the next decade and a half that competes every single year. 

If we happen to miss, then Allen, Heinicke and a rookie is the ONLY other solution. 

Who's with me? 

I think most of us agree that Watson is the top offseason prize and would love to have him.   I, and from what I've read others, don't agree that "[t]here is no price too high."  With no first round draft picks for 3 or 4 years and most of our cap space eaten up by his contract (I think he has a $40 million + cap hit in 2022 and 2023) it becomes a lot more difficult to build the rest of the team around him.  I'm not discounting the effect coaching had but if you can win with Watson alone and no other pieces then I doubt Houston would have went 4-12 this season.  

• Like 2

Does mac jones have a chance to leap trey lance?  Uber productive qb playing in the sec or the raw qb who struggled vs central arkansas and even in the best case scenario will need 2 years to acclimate to the NFL.   That possibility seemed impossible a few months ago but might be closer by the time the draft rolls around. 

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Does mac jones have a chance to leap trey lance?  Uber productive qb playing in the sec or the raw qb who struggled vs central arkansas and even in the best case scenario will need 2 years to acclimate to the NFL.   That possibility seemed impossible a few months ago but might be closer by the time the draft rolls around. 

Would be excellent for our potential to land Lance at 19

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I'm a little surprised that all the chatter on here is primarily about Stafford. 

There is no price too high. Doesn't matter the haul we give away. He's worth it. Make it happen, and let's build a team the next decade and a half that competes every single year. 

If we happen to miss, then Allen, Heinicke and a rookie is the ONLY other solution. 

Who's with me? 

I'd love to have him, but it's just such a long shot with our draft pick. The Texans I think are going to do anything they can to get Watson to a team with a top 5 pick so they can then get their next franchise QB. And the reports have said that he likes both Miami and the Jets. If he likes those places and they want him, they will get him. Period. End of story. They have all the cards as far as draft capital, including multiple 1st round picks this year. We'd probably need to offer them 4 1st round picks + to pry them away from multiple 1sts this year, including one in the top 3.

The only way I see it happening is if for some random reason Watson says "I only want to play for Washington". He has the no-trade clause so he has to approve any trade. 

• Like 1

Derek Carr stat wise is about the same if not better than stafford these past few years, wouldnt mind trading for him either. Dont think he has any injury concerns as well and hes a few years younger. This is all granted he is available or we offer enough to make him available. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Redwolves92 said:

Derek Carr stat wise is about the same if not better than stafford these past few years, wouldnt mind trading for him either. Dont think he has any injury concerns as well and hes a few years younger. This is all granted he is available or we offer enough to make him available. 

Wouldn’t mind Carr as long as the cost is low. 2nd max. 3rd or lower ideally. I’d balk at a 2.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn’t mind Carr as long as the cost is low. 2nd max. 3rd or lower ideally. I’d balk at a 2.

100% I'd be "okay" with a 2nd this year, because of the frenzy. Normally, I'd expect a 4rth. I'd be very happy about it with a 3rd.

12 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It can't be completely out of the question. Jones has proven himself in a number of big games, and now in this weeks practices. If he shows up again Saturday there may very well be some teams thinking he is more of a sure thing than Lance and more pro ready if they need to count on their first rounder to play in the coming year.

The thing is even if Jones jumps him, it would give us a good shot at Lance. We may have to slightly more up as the other teams know we would want a QB so someone would jump us. That being said, I am thinking WFT will have a starting QB before the draft.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

100% I'd be "okay" with a 2nd this year, because of the frenzy. Normally, I'd expect a 4rth. I'd be very happy about it with a 3rd.

Geez, I really can't believe we are saying Carr is worth a second. yuck

42 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Who's with me? 

I’m with you 1000%. Make it Happen. Would prefer Watson to Stafford but will accept either.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

I think most of us agree that Watson is the top offseason prize and would love to have him.   I, and from what I've read others, don't agree that "[t]here is no price too high."  With no first round draft picks for 3 or 4 years and most of our cap space eaten up by his contract (I think he has a $40 million + cap hit in 2022 and 2023) it becomes a lot more difficult to build the rest of the team around him.  I'm not discounting the effect coaching had but if you can win with Watson alone and no other pieces then I doubt Houston would have went 4-12 this season.  

I hear you, but Watson + WFT - all the draft capital and players it would take to get him is WAY better than Stafford + WFT - the draft capital it would take to get Stafford. 

Hell, the current QBs on the roster with the current team and giving NO draft capital up are a far better scenario than landing any other options out there other than the very far fetched scenario of landing Aaron Rodgers. 

Just my thoughts. 

It's Watson, or a rookie (unless the Rodgers scenario somehow happens). 

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Geez, I really can't believe we are saying Carr is worth a second. yuck

I'd be pretty uncomfortable giving up a 2nd for Carr. Like @KDawgI'd be fine with a 3rd or lower. He's not a bad QB, but there's really nothing special about him. I think he'd be an upgrade to Allen/Heinicke but he's not a guy who's going to come in and immediately elevate your offense. 

At this point I'm kinda steeling myself to the reality that we'll probably have to settle for someone like Carr. I just hope we don't end up in the bargain bin with guys like Mariota or Tyrod Taylor. To me there's no point in that. Might as well just roll with Allen/Heinicke depending on who's less injured at the time.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think it's pretty unlikely we get him. Draft position is probably going to be a factor. So the Jags, Jets, Miami could all offer Houston a top 3 pick to get one of the top QBs and our #19 pick would be puny in comparison. That probably means we'd have to really give up a massive haul to make them consider us over a team with a top 3 pick. Like, three 1sts and three 2nds kind of haul.

Jags, Jets, and Miami also have two 1sts in THIS draft. We simply won't be able to beat any of their offers.

I would put the Jets and Dolphins as the teams most likely to land Watson; 2 places rumored to be acceptable to Watson.

Jets can offer: 1st Round- #2, #23- they got from Seahawks and Sam Darnold.

Dolphins can offer: 1st Round- #3- they got from Texans, #18 and Tua Tagovalioa

Jaguars can offer: 1st Round- #1, #25- they got from Rams and Gardner Minshew

Jets and Jaguars also will have high pick in later Rounds and could offer those if needed.  If Houston gives into Watson's demands, they will need to replace him.  So, they will need to be able to draft one of the Top QBs and those 3 teams also have QBs they can trade; which Houston can start for a year until the rookie QB is ready.  Also, they have draft capital for future. As they can trade the QB they acquired either in 21 or 22 for more picks.  Of if they decided to roll with the QB they traded for; they could then trade that Top pick they get for one of the QB needy teams and get more draft picks.

The Dolphins, Jets and Jaguars are the only teams which has the ammunition to cave into Watson's trade demands.

The Team isn't in the conservation for Watson.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd be pretty uncomfortable giving up a 2nd for Carr. Like @KDawgI'd be fine with a 3rd or lower. He's not a bad QB, but there's really nothing special about him. I think he'd be an upgrade to Allen/Heinicke but he's not a guy who's going to come in and immediately elevate your offense. 

At this point I'm kinda steeling myself to the reality that we'll probably have to settle for someone like Carr. I just hope we don't end up in the bargain bin with guys like Mariota or Tyrod Taylor. To me there's no point in that. Might as well just roll with Allen/Heinicke depending on who's less injured at the time.

I hear ya, even a 3 makes me throw up a little. The idea of giving up anything for Mariota does make me throw up. At least Taylor is a FA although not as good as Carr.

If they really decided a guy like Carr is their guy, may be best to put a low ball offer in now before other players start moving....perhaps a 4th. Don't offer more than that

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I’m with you here, particularly your point about Mariota/Taylor.  With that said, at least we wouldn’t be spending much in the way of resources for those guys...  Frankly, I’d be absolutely fine with either rolling with Allen/Heinicke/Montez or maybe adding a guy like Newman to that group.  Keep working the roster and playing it smart with our cap for future purposes.

’absolutely fine’ being relative of course

Edited by skinny21

Here's one writer's opinion on what we should give up for him, and ranked us 4th among teams who should trade for Stafford ; who I'd much rather trade for, then DeShaun Watson.

We're #4 !

We're #4 !

Doesn't that sound better than where we've been ?

https://www.nfl.com/news/matthew-stafford-landing-spots-six-teams-that-should-trade-for-qb

Washington Football Team
Washington Football Team

What the Football Team should give up: A first- and third-round pick.

The Football Team has a decent amount of cap space and at least eight picks, including No. 19 overall, in this year's draft, so I definitely feel like this could be a potential landing spot for Stafford. The 36-year-old Alex Smith is under contract through 2022, but after making a truly miraculous comeback, he's taking time to consider his future, while both Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen are set to become free agents. This decision is tough, because we've heard Ron Rivera say Smith could be the team's QB1 past the 2020 season, and Smith proved as much, going 5-1 as a starter. That said, I do think it's worth (discreetly) finding out what price Washington could get Stafford for. If it's reasonable, by all means, I think they do it. Potential obstacles include Smith deciding he does want to come back, and Rivera's view on draft picks. Is giving up a first-round pick or more worth it knowing they nabbed Defensive Player of the Year shoo-in Chase Young with one last year? I'm not so sure.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

If Aaron Rodgers really doesn't want to play for the Packers anymore; then he should be demanding a trade now. Indy and San Fran would seem most likely places for Aaron.

I think whatever happens with the QB position; we will be disappointed.  Either because we gave up to much to get our guy or we just had to settle for leftovers either trade, free agency or draft.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/28/behind-the-scenes-senior-bowl-only-all-star-game-played-during-covid-pandemic

What’s the first quarterbacking domino to fall?

I think it’s probably Matthew Stafford, and as a result of that, I think it was smart for the Lions to be aggressive in getting word out there.

The bottom line: We don’t know exactly what San Francisco or Vegas or the Rams are going to do, nor is there true certainty on how the Dolphins and Jets will make use of their Top-3 picks. So if you’re a quarterback-hungry team right now, the Lions are your first call. And with a chance of supply outweighing demand on the quarterback market a month from now, the best idea for a seller is to get ahead of that potential problem.

Detroit has done that, and it’s no surprise that the phone has been ringing, given the regard that Stafford is held in across the football world. And there’s precedent for making a deal this early in the process—recent history at that.

I remember this because the news dropped during the media party at Super Bowl LII in Minnesota, and we were all at the amusement park in the middle of the Mall of America (which reminds me of how bizarre that Super Bowl was, with so much of the action happening in a mall in suburban Minneapolis in January/February). The date was actually Jan. 30, five days before the big game, with Washington agreeing to acquire Smith for Kendall Fuller and a third-round pick.

The one caveat there was the deal could not be made official until the start of the new league year, six weeks later, which left both teams free to back out. But neither did, and the deal was done, and it set off a ripple that wound up entrenching Patrick Mahomes as starter in Kansas City early in his first full offseason as a pro, and (finally) spelling the end for Kirk Cousins in Washington. Cousins went to the Vikings, which push Case Keenum to Denver.

And I really think it’s the sort of thing that benefits everyone. The Lions get to maximize Stafford’s value, and start planning forward. Stafford’s new team gets the proverbial bird-in-the-hand, and can start looking ahead to free agency knowing what it’s building around. Stafford, meanwhile, gets to move on early, and maybe even have a hand in how his new team shapes its offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Watching NFL total access, they said Newman didn't have a great day including a couple picks by Safety Richie Grant

Hoping he knocks the rust off and does well Saturday

He could fall which would be better, because you can address other needs and not have the pressure to pick a QB high.

4 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Is that you Mike Ditka? 

Chew got a problem main? Joking aside, they wouldn’t do it, but from our end, it would be better to give all eight this year than draft capital over multiple years.