Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Detroit are light on picks, only got 5 this year I think. I can see the appeal to them of wanting multiple picks.

That’s said, I think if I wanted Stafford I’d be making an offer to top that. Even if we know he’s not keen on coming, I’d be pushing that button.

If we end up being outed as not being in this race, we must be looking elsewhere.

If the Lions want draft picks this year ONLY the best I think we can do is this.  Our #19, our 2nd 3rd rounder and our 1st 7th round pick.  That's ONLY if they want picks this year.  

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If the Lions want draft picks this year ONLY the best I think we can do is this.  Our #19, our 2nd 3rd rounder and our 1st 7th round pick.  That's ONLY if they want picks this year.  

I agree, we have more than enough to satisfy what I would image the trade price would be. It’s hardly clear that there is any mutual interest really, even a week into the dance.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree, we have more than enough to satisfy what I would image the trade price would be. It’s hardly clear that there is any mutual interest really, even a week into the dance.

But is that enough, 74?  I'd be happy with that and I'd even throw in Payne or Allen to get the deal done.  We have plenty of talented DL in stock with Settle and Ioan man.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

But is that enough, 74?  I'd be happy with that and I'd even throw in Payne or Allen to get the deal done.  We have plenty of talented DL in stock with Settle and Ioan man.  

No way I’m trading a player. Not for Stafford, or any other available QB for that matter outside of Watson. But even that seems a moot discussion point right now.

I’d sit and wait, with my expression on interest on the table, stating I would like consulted prior to any deal closure, being given the chance to match or better. I’d then consider tempting them with a 1+2, for Stafford and change back.

Caveat being, if Stafford has zero interest being here, just fold from the game now.

• Like 1

I think some in this thread are suffering from auction fever. Frankly, I wouldn’t give up more than we gave up for McNabb or Smith (who were also older qbs coming off really good years before we acquired them.) If that means I’m out of the bidding and can’t even join the discussion so be it. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd plus Allen or Payne for an oft injured, older, non mobile QB with only two years left in his contract? Geesh

Yeah I’m for trading for a big name QB, but that’s way too much for Stafford. 

39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think your post is being read as #19, a second rounder, third rounder etc

As opposed to our ‘second’ 3rd rounder, which is how I read it.......which in fact would only be referring to our latter 3rd rounder....

• Like 2

I will be really surprised if Rivera wants to go after Watson. Watson signed a LTD AFTER the Texans were an organizational disaster and AFTER O’Brien traded Hopkins and 6 months later Watson is demanding a trade. Why? Because he wasn’t consulted on GM hire? I get that Houston is terrible but does this really sound like the kind of behavior Ron Rivera respects and would give up multiple 1sts for?

I love Watson and would do it but I just can’t wrap my head around this.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think some in this thread are suffering from auction fever. Frankly, I wouldn’t give up more than we gave up for McNabb or Smith (who were also older qbs coming off really good years before we acquired them.) If that means I’m out of the bidding and can’t even join the discussion so be it. 

That's a bit of a hard line stance to take isn't it? If you're only willing to give up a 2nd or less for a QB your pool will be limited to mediocre guys mostly. We've seen where that takes us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We can't give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Stafford, he's not Joe Montana.

There's no way Ron gives up that much draft capital for an old QB.

1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year? Yeah, I would do that......who's to say he can't be Joe Montana for the WFT for the next 5 years? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We can't give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Stafford, he's not Joe Montana.

There's no way Ron gives up that much draft capital for an old QB.

It’s a lot to give up. I will say 33 isn’t really that old anymore for QBs. I had to recalibrate this in my own head. Lots of successful QBs play now until 38-40. Is Russell Wilson old? I think Stafford has been really durable over his career and could give us 3-4 more years at least. Possibly more than that.

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year? Yeah, I would do that......who's to say he can't be Joe Montana for the WFT for the next 5 years? 

I think we're losing our minds hyping a guy way above his value but sure, anything can happen.

Here's what is going to happen. Stafford is going to Indianapolis. Watson is going to the Jets.

What happens from there is anyone's guess. But MY guess is that we look to the draft and secondary markets. I think Ron probably wants to find his franchise/future QB AND win now. It keeps bringing me back to where I originally thought we were going to be.

1-2 year deal for someone like Mariota (should he come free), Newton, Tyrod, etc. to compete with Heinecke. Draft a QB, either at 19, in the 2nd, or even via trade-up.

Go get a few talented pieces in free agency and run things back again.

I know it's not ideal, but I could see Ron understanding the dynamics of the off-season and being convservative as to not give up what he's already started to build.

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think we're losing our minds hyping a guy way above his value but sure, anything can happen.

I’d go 1+2 if I got a pick back in return too.

Leaving us with say 3,3,4,4,5,7,7

You can still make a fair bit of noise with that.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I.  He talked about WFT fans having Post Traumatic Stress from past failures and are afraid to be aggressive but his feeling is while he doesn't blame them for feeling that way, let it go, trust the powers that be

If only the Football Gods would give us a sign:

image.png.33ad996efd755d1f1dffb230214039fc.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I know it's not ideal, but I could see Ron understanding the dynamics of the off-season and being convservative as to not give up what he's already started to build

I will be very surprised if Ron goes ‘conservative’ at QB.

Feels like he wants to make that heavy investment at QB, then he has recruited an experienced team around him of Hurney and Mayhew to help him reinforce other areas of the roster on slightly reduced resources. Just a guess.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's what is going to happen. Stafford is going to Indianapolis. Watson is going to the Jets.

What happens from there is anyone's guess. But MY guess is that we look to the draft and secondary markets. I think Ron probably wants to find his franchise/future QB AND win now. It keeps bringing me back to where I originally thought we were going to be.

1-2 year deal for someone like Mariota (should he come free), Newton, Tyrod, etc. to compete with Heinecke. Draft a QB, either at 19, in the 2nd, or even via trade-up.

I know it's not ideal, but I could see Ron understanding the dynamics of the off-season and being convservative as to not give up what he's already started to build.

I like this plan...you know, the three things that still stand out for me about Heinicke in the two games he played are big things that lead me to think he would have a shot in preseason:

1). His legs and pocket awareness....he was really good at using his legs to make plays when the pocket broke down

2). His field vision which led to his throwing the ball downfield rather than checking down all the time.

3). His accuracy. 

These three traits are all more than what DH or Alex offered. I believe Heinicke is very bright and has moxie. No, I don't think his 5 quarters of play were a fluke. I think he's a gamer and has some real QB skills. I think the players believe it too.

I'm cool with adding a vet QB who comes cheap but who RR feels can help us win but will also have to compete with Heinicke and possibly Allen or a rookie.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Mariota, Newton, and Tyrod are not secondary markets. They're bargain bin markets. I suppose as long as we don't have to give up any picks I'd be fine with kicking the tires, but that's really no upgrade on Allen/Heinicke outside of maybe being less fragile. 

17 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I will be really surprised if Rivera wants to go after Watson. Watson signed a LTD AFTER the Texans were an organizational disaster and AFTER O’Brien traded Hopkins and 6 months later Watson is demanding a trade. Why? Because he wasn’t consulted on GM hire? I get that Houston is terrible but does this really sound like the kind of behavior Ron Rivera respects and would give up multiple 1sts for?

I love Watson and would do it but I just can’t wrap my head around this.

From my understanding of the reports, ownership offered to consult with Watson on the GM search prior to him committing to the extension, and besides not doing that, they didn't even bother to interview Eric Bieniemy whom Watson reportedly advocated.

I don't begrudge any player who asks to be traded provided they reimburse their team of any future money owed. Watson's reasons might turn off a few who feel a player's influence should be confined to the field and not extended to the front office, but Watt and Watson are the natural leaders of that team and it must be incredibly frustrating for men of their cloth to have to endure the galactic misteps of their organization and refrain from taking larger steps to fixing them.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Mariota, Newton, and Tyrod are not secondary markets. They're bargain bin markets. I suppose as long as we don't have to give up any picks I'd be fine with kicking the tires, but that's really no upgrade on Allen/Heinicke outside of maybe being less fragile. 

Yep that be a letdown at this stage. 

I do think he wants to go high end at QB. That said, I also thought that we’d have Jimmy G down as our #2 option after Stafford. Which again, is met with mixed responses.

So who knows. I guess letting Stafford head to SF makes Jimmy G expendable if that is the thinking. But I kind of hope not.

• Like 1