Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

5 minutes ago, dyst said:

Chew got a problem main? Joking aside, they wouldn’t do it, but from our end, it would be better to give all eight this year than draft capital over multiple years.

with the lack of a full season and less evaluation opportunities I’d value this years picks less anyway. It’s gonna be more of a crapshoot than normal

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dyst said:

Not sure how Dak’s health is, but that is who I would want to Target. Seems perfect for this team. Expensive yes but in theory not draft capital lost.

Totally agree......worse case scenario is that we drive up the cost like we did for Amari.

Wish we could get Dak, but if we don't I would sell the farm for Watson.  Wishful thinking but I would hope 2 first round picks and a couple of 3rds would get it done.

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I up voted you before seeing the last part about signing the dreaded game manager until they see the QB the think is the one.  Every one of those names you posted were considered "the one" by Redskins management at the time.  Finding a really good QB is really really hard as we know so well. That's why if one is available you have to do what you can to obtain him so we don't continue this merry go round.

Yeah, that's part of the problem. But I'm convinced that there has been dispute in the rooms. We heard it about Sanchez and Quinn. Not so much about RG3 but definitely about the 2011 qbs. I'd bet there was no universal opinion on Campbell or Ramsey being that they were such late first rounders. 

That Campbell year, i didn't want Rodgers because of this very reason, but when he dropped i wanted to trade up and get him because he was supposed to be the top pick in the draft. Then we trade up and get somebody else... I was mad and confused like why. Why pass in the first place if we wanted a QB, and did we really have Campbell rated as a better QB than Rodgers? Just about every site, draft geek and fan had Rodgers above Campbell but we passed on Rodgers and traded up for Campbell. Rodgers wasn't a sure thing but he was a value pick in the 20s, but we didn't take advantage. 

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Probably happened around the time our pick fell from top 6 to top 19 weeks later.

It took a while because so many people had already voted and couldn't vote twice.

I'm jus glad to see trade for a veteran in second place, that we arent scared off from the Alex trade, or even the McNabb trade.

I know a lot of people were thinking that at first, a lot happens in a year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dyst said:

Really sucks that Dolphins aren’t happy with Tua. I think they are the biggest obstacle to Watson.

Goes to show how teams aren’t waiting around for a QB to develop. Any inkling a QB doesn’t have it, out they go. Heck, they’re dumping Tua faster than Haskins.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It took a while because so many people had already voted and couldn't vote twice.

Sounds like the perfect time for a shiny new, more direct poll! I know you got it in you.

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

When Heinicke out-dueled and out-ran the GOAT in his last game, it should have closed this thread ;)

Until the second half when he almost didn't go back in the game and Montez was warming up.

• Like 1

Listened to Keim just now, who talked in the mix at some point just straight 20 minutes only about QB.  His thoughts:

A. Rivera's obsession is with SB, not just winning, need a better QB to do it

B. He thinks they will big time hunting for a QB this off season

C.  The time when this team has been at its best was the rare times when they got above average QB play

D.  He believes they big time will be in the hunt for a QB

E.  Has some skepticism that Watson hits the market but if he does he thinks the WFt will be big time aggressive to get him (Finlay has said the same thing)

F.  He thinks what would hurt their pursuit of Watson is they are picking low in the draft and they'd guess if the WFT lands Watson they'd continue to pick low so the Texans wouldn't ever get a high pick in the mix

G.  Whenever he talks to NFL sources he says what does the WFt need to do to take the next step -- the answer is always QB

H.  He does think they'd be interested in Stafford but he doesn't know that as a fact

I.  He talked about WFT fans having Post Traumatic Stress from past failures and are afraid to be aggressive but his feeling is while he doesn't blame them for feeling that way, let it go, trust the powers that be

J. He's ok with trading a D lineman, saying they are unlikely going to be able to give one up that they will eventually lost anyway

K. If a trade for a QB hits, they'd be tradng away late first rounders, he's not that bothered by it considering all the young talent already on the roster

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still want Winston as my #1 preference. I don't care about Ints as much, because I like when our defense is on the field. And when you can throw for yards and TDs like he has shown that he can do, our defense gets to pin its ears back and flat out attack.

Ugh I don't want a guy who can't stop throwing to the wrong team. Turnovers are killer. You'd be singing a different tune in game day threads when he loses us games by throwing INTs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Ugh I don't want a guy who can't stop throwing to the wrong team. Turnovers are killer. You'd be singing a different tune in game day threads when he loses us games by throwing INTs.

I said what I said. We have a more controlled offense then what he was in, but I get your point. He's still my top choice.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wouldn't hate Winston but wouldn't like it either.  Sadly I think there is a chance we end up with no good options at QB.  Winston isn't my favorite out of the bad lot of options in FA but isn't my least favorite either.  I'd do it over trading for Darnold.  

I'd add Tampa was almost as loaded in 2019 as they are now.  They were a losing team with Winston and a SB team now.

Winston helps proves the theory that its not just about get yourself a supporting cast, and at that point you don't need a top QB to take you over the top.   Winston proves that the theory is very limited.  Tampa changed from IMO an average to below average to an elite QB and that changed their trajectory completely -- a full 180.

I relistened to the Keim segment. My overall takeaway is:

Keim isn't clued in as to what they do next but is confident that they aren't satisfied with what they have in house. 

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I said what I said. We have a more controlled offense then what he was in, but I get your point. He's still my top choice.

The type of offensive system doesn't stop a QB from being inaccurate and/or making bad reads and getting picked off. Brady is in the same system Winston was the year prior and he hasn't thrown 30 INTs. Winston just straight up has turnover issues.

Yeah we could certainly do worse. But I'd hope we could also do better.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Making good use of those additional third round picks. The irony being they allegedly pushed for Mayhew being appropriately titled GM to get one of them.

Agree.  If that rumor is true, they are being clever.  What's interesting to me about the QB1 chase this off season is we got some aggressive players potentially in the chase whereas we don't know how aggressive or not our FO is.

Ballard has the reputation for being aggressive when he needs to be.  SF prides themselves on their aggressiveness -- they've even gotten their pat themselves in the back articles from SI among others about how they are so carpe diem driven.  Carolina seems to be screaming to the press that they want a QB. Tepper their owner seems to have arrived to the conclusion that the sun rises and falls with the QB.    So we have some serious competitors.  

Bruce for his many faults was aggressive on the trade market -- arguably too much so -- which might have contributed to what Keim defined on the radio as fans suffering fron post traumatic stress about going aggressive.   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Athletic article about the Panthers at the QB spot, some excerpts

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 8.03.54 AM.png

If the Skins like Jones then they will have to move up above the Panther IF the Panthers want Jones.  I hope Jones plays.  Interesting times ahead.  

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Making good use of those additional third round picks. The irony being they allegedly pushed for Mayhew being appropriately titled GM to get one of them.

This Franks guy to me has no credibility via his followers and his profile info.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  If that rumor is true, they are being clever.  What's interesting to me about the QB1 chase this off season is we got some aggressive players potentially in the chase whereas we don't know how aggressive or not our FO is.

Detroit are light on picks, only got 5 this year I think. I can see the appeal to them of wanting multiple picks.

That’s said, I think if I wanted Stafford I’d be making an offer to top that. Even if we know he’s not keen on coming, I’d be pushing that button.

If we end up being outed as not being in this race, we must be looking elsewhere.

• Like 1