Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

We’re in that sweet spot of needing a QB, willing to spend big to get him, would prefer a vet over a rookie, don’t have a high enough pick to draft a top prospect coming out, and our GM drafted the guy. 

Can’t think of a team better situated to be the favorite to get Stafford. I expect to see it happen.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You have to make a move for a WR too.  Stafford ain’t coming here to work with Sims, Sims & Inman.

Another receiver (or two) would be a nice selling point for sure, but I’d point out we have a pretty darn good D, solid oline (two things it seems he’s been largely lacking, particularly together), a couple pretty good pass catching backs... and a good TE (and of course, Terry).  And overall, if I were Stafford, I’d be salivating after seeing the product this team put out with the likes of Haskins, Allen, Heinicke and Smith (and whatever polite disparagements one might throw his way).

As of now, I prefer Stafford to Dak and Watson by a long shot.  Fewer resources (well, picks vs dollars between MS and DP), and he serves both a chance to win now (over the next 2-3 years at least), and can serve as a bridge while we try to find his eventual replacement.  With the other two, it’ll likely be harder to move on from them, significantly reducing the chance of getting a rookie contract qb at the helm (allowing us to retain our top FAs down the road).  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

So is Sonny going to let him where his number?  This ain’t Shane Mathews we’re talking about.

No, that didn't work out too well for us last time.

Stafford wore 7 at georgia.  Maybe joey t wants to get the haskins taste out of his mouth (I tried thinking of another phrase to convey the same meaning, no luck)

Edited by KillBill26
  • Haha 1

I’m terrified what we may have to give up for him. The Colts are going to drive the price way up on us... and an AFC team to boot. Having said that: I like the guy and think he helps a bit. 

if we don’t land Stafford this is a rough blow. Detroit is going QB in the draft now which makes trading up real difficult. 

• Like 2

Stafford is a bum. No playoff victories, played with the best WR of our generation for half his career, and even enjoyed a top 10 defense for a small window during that time...yet still couldn't get it done. What exactly can we offer him to be successful that Detroit hasn't already, aside from not having an Aaron Rodgers in the division?

• Thanks 1

Outside of when Detroit plays us, their annual Thanksgiving Day game and highlights, I have to admit, I'm a little cloudy on how mobile Stafford is. I know he's not a statue back there, but how effective is he tucking it and getting upfield? I think he's a solid QB, but having a QB that can make things happen with their legs, as well as their arm, is essential in my opinion. If Heinicke didn't make plays with his legs in the TB playoff game, we would've lost by 20+ points.

24 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

At least 6 teams will be in on him, teams like Indy, Chicago, SF, Denver. Price is gonna be 1st rd +.  Yall ready to spend that much?

My guess is Detroit asks for 19 and a really good player. Payne, perhaps. Or two 1s. 19 this year and 25ish next?

**** it, I’d still do it. There are zero high end other options. 

• Like 1

QB hungry teams not drafting in the top 5 that can absorb Stafford's $33 mil cap hit this year appear to be Colts, Pats and maybe Denver.

2021 Salary Cap Space Estimates

Team Estimated Cap Space
($175M Cap Limit)
Estimated Cap Space
($190M Cap Limit)
Colts $86,201,931 $101,201,931
Patriots $65,208,537 $80,208,537
Jaguars $59,128,585 $74,128,585
Jets $56,601,575 $71,601,575
Washington $49,559,205 $64,559,205
Bengals $35,605,952 $50,605,952
Chargers $34,136,482 $49,136,482
Broncos $33,236,645 $48,236,645
Browns $29,129,397 $44,129,397
Dolphins $26,153,421 $41,153,421
Ravens $25,609,647 $40,609,647
Bills $25,570,806 $40,570,806
Giants $22,976,708 $37,976,708
Seahawks $22,246,774 $37,246,774

Edited by HigSkin

21 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The guy never won a single playoff game for a Bottom feeder organization and another bottom feeder organization will be the same to offer the house to acquire him.  Can’t make this  stuff up LOL

I mean, the lions absolutely got screwed in their playoff game against the cowboys. The ref threw a flag, eventually picked if up when he shouldn’t have. Detroit would’ve won had that not happened. Can’t pin that on stafford 

• Like 2