Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

15 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He just doesn’t make sense for this roster, IMO. Hes become folklore, but he’s an up and down QB with high propensity to turn the ball over. Would be shocked if Ron went his direction, just doesn’t seem like a fit. 

I think Fitz fits on any roster, the dude is a slinger. If we end up with Fitz I would expect to see Terry Mac in the pro bowl cause Fitz gets the ball to the WR's. I also think we'd see less turnovers out of him because he wouldnt be behind in games all the time. I would be pretty excited to see Fitz here for 2 years until we found Mr. Right.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Finlay, he said he's heard they are excited with the new GM set up and are ready to get to work with QB being the top quest.

I'll just say this if the team is really feeling cool about their QB room or simply want to give a little competitive boost to it -- they got one heck of a smoke screen cooking because it seems like everyone and their mother echoing they are on an off season mission to upgrade the Qb spot.

Sounds cool and I agree with the all hands on deck supposed approach to upgrade the spot.  But I am wondering though what happens if no attractive option hits the market?  I'd guess then they'd look at the draft.   Reading what i have about other teams this off season, Carolina seems to be giving off a similar vibe about willing to go aggressive at Qb.  Some expect the Colts to be aggressive albeit Ballard's comments indicate that he might not per se play it aggressive.

I believe Lance or Wilson are their targets in the draft.  That's where our new franchise QB will come from as they will have to move up in the 1st to get him.  They'll do what they need to do to get their franchise QB this year, IMO.  2022 is supposed to be little on talent in the QB area.  "1st round" Hurney will probably have a lot of pull known for his 1st round selections.

10 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I've been reading that the Texans are considering Josh McCown as their Head Coach. If that goes, you guys think Watson already been wanting out? Or wanted a player type coach?

If they don't hire Bienemy as their HC.  Watson will be all over the internet saying Trade me but I don't think our analytical talking heads will do that.  They will look to '1st round" Hurney for his input.  Truly think they target Lance or Wilson and move up to get him.  Cheaper and makes more sense.  We have a lot of needs we can address in FA and the draft.  

• Like 1

I hope another team gets Watson.  He is really good but holding a team hostage is too much of a reminder of Trent Williams here.  Once you go down that path, how long until Watson is unhappy with something here and tries to hold us hostage.  Would rather have guys that are just interested in playing football and not wanting to play GM.  I can understand why he has done this though since their last coach made a bunch of questionable decisions.   Anyway, maybe if the Panthers get Watson Teddy will be available or maybe Fitz while we wait to draft the next franchise QB.  Don't think one of the good prospects will fall to us at 19.  I kind of hope we won't draft Jones though if he is available.  He had a great game for the championship but I think these days having a QB that is threat to run opens up a lot more than a QB you know is going to stay in the pocket.  Sure the injury risk is higher but watching how much we struggle with mobile QBs has me wanting someone similar.  Hoping Allen and Taylor get a shot to compete.  Think they deserve it since they seem to have a command of this offense.  It'll be interesting to see what direction our new front office and coach goes.

@PartyPosse I mean, yes, of course totally agree. Two picks a game will get you the bench. The hope is he’ll look more like his previous seasons, where he averaged about 1 or less a game, then he did the last season as starter. My thought is at least there is a ceiling there. The other guys, including Fitz, have a ceiling that is not very high at all and come with their own negative erratic play as well. 

Our D isnt quite the #2 D week in week out just yet. You need to be able to score more than 23 every week. We scored 23 points or less in 13 of 17 games last year. Averaging 21.1 25th in the league. That just isn’t gonna get us much of anywhere. If we are taking shot in the dark, I’d rather shoot it on the QB that can put some points on the board. I like Fitz, he can capture magic in a bottle and be hot as heck. He just hasn’t really been able to do it consistently at a high level throughout his career. 

21 minutes ago, owa said:

I hope another team gets Watson.  He is really good but holding a team hostage is too much of a reminder of Trent Williams here.  Once you go down that path, how long until Watson is unhappy with something here and tries to hold us hostage.  Would rather have guys that are just interested in playing football and not wanting to play GM.  I can understand why he has done this though since their last coach made a bunch of questionable decisions.   Anyway, maybe if the Panthers get Watson Teddy will be available or maybe Fitz while we wait to draft the next franchise QB.  Don't think one of the good prospects will fall to us at 19.  I kind of hope we won't draft Jones though if he is available.  He had a great game for the championship but I think these days having a QB that is threat to run opens up a lot more than a QB you know is going to stay in the pocket.  Sure the injury risk is higher but watching how much we struggle with mobile QBs has me wanting someone similar.  Hoping Allen and Taylor get a shot to compete.  Think they deserve it since they seem to have a command of this offense.  It'll be interesting to see what direction our new front office and coach goes.

I don't equate it to the Trent situation at all. Have you read up about the Texans organization at all? Its an absolute disaster. The guy who has the ear of the owner is basically a religious cult leader. Its crazy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heinicke dropped a fade  with .005 inches to spare on his second read.....that has not happened for as long as I can remember. I am impressed with that. We won't score Watson or Stafford, so I think with my limited football database we trade back for more picks and see if we can  pull in maybe Fitz, Bridgewater, Taylor......not a fan of Winston so I'm out on him.  Whoever wins in camp starts, but the backup will be able to step in and win. Sound good? Good! Mods close the thread!

Edited by tmandoug1

51 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I believe Lance or Wilson are their targets in the draft.  That's where our new franchise QB will come from as they will have to move up in the 1st to get him.  They'll do what they need to do to get their franchise QB this year, IMO.  2022 is supposed to be little on talent in the QB area.  "1st round" Hurney will probably have a lot of pull known for his 1st round selections.

I'd bet Wilson or Fields is gone with the #2 pick.  I'd think you'd might have to go to #3 if you want Lance otherwise why wouldn't Atlanta take him at 4?   If I recall Atlanta can get out of the Ryan contract cleaner next off season so it would be perfect for them to take a guy now.

If so I'd think it will take at least the 2021 #1, 2022 #1 and 2021 #2.  That's a long climb up in the draft.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think Fitz fits on any roster, the dude is a slinger. If we end up with Fitz I would expect to see Terry Mac in the pro bowl cause Fitz gets the ball to the WR's. I also think we'd see less turnovers out of him because he wouldnt be behind in games all the time. I would be pretty excited to see Fitz here for 2 years until we found Mr. Right.

None of this has been true in his entire career outside of a Buffalo season. He’s better for a team in rebuild year 1 not 2 or 3. Washington is on year 2. Pass for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I've been reading that the Texans are considering Josh McCown as their Head Coach. If that goes, you guys think Watson already been wanting out? Or wanted a player type coach?

I'd imagine that any coach not named Eric would be a negative for Watson.

The fact that they are going to repeat interviews (they phased them as continued discussions) may be a warning sign that a few of the candidates either dropped out or raised their price as a a result of the unrest.

interesting development

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd bet Wilson or Fields is gone with the #2 pick.  I'd think you'd might have to go to #3 if you want Lance otherwise why wouldn't Atlanta take him at 4?   If I recall Atlanta can get out of the Ryan contract cleaner next off season so it would be perfect for them to take a guy now.

If so I'd think it will take at least the 2021 #1, 2022 #1 and 2021 #2.  That's a long climb up in the draft. 

With all due respect, SIP. :)  Instead of a trade for a vet QB, I still think they move up and yes they may have to go to #3 overall but I'm thinking they get their franchise QB in the draft.  

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

None of this has been true in his entire career outside of a Buffalo season. He’s better for a team in rebuild year 1 not 2 or 3. Washington is on year 2. Pass for me. 

I'll bet you if you talked to the players on the Dolphins they'd say they'd rather have Fitz in there than Tua....He gave that team confidence that they could win and that would go a long way with our young guys. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

With all due respect, SIP. :)  Instead of a trade for a vet QB, I still think they move up and yes they may have to go to #3 overall but I'm thinking they get their franchise QB in the draft.  

My thought is all depends on who is available and what could be done.  We don't know yet.   I am not saying they don't trade the farm to trade up in the draft.  My point on that is they will have likely some serious competition.  And if you don't like giving up the moon for Watson as a hypotetical, I don't see how trading up to 3 would hit you that much better because we likely will trade the moon as well to get up that high.  It won't be as steep probably as a Watson trade but it likely won't be a mile off of it.  

This is sort of a weird draft for us.  Arguably there are 4 really good QBs and that's unique.  But we got a unique large number of teams picking ahead of us who also need a QB.  And we got a crummy pick as for it being potentially coveted by a team wanting to trade down.  If I am Miami for example, I'd want to trade with Atlanta or Carolina or Detroit or Denver instead of dropping all the way to 19.  

Carolina I think is a team to watch, I keep reading they plan to be very aggressive this off season to find a franchise QB. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'll bet you if you talked to the players on the Dolphins they'd say they'd rather have Fitz in there than Tua....He gave that team confidence that they could win and that would go a long way with our young guys. 

It was widely reported he had the support of the team. No doubt Fitzpatrick would quickly turn into a fan and team favorite here. How can you not pull for a guy like that. Reportedly has all the intangibles of an Alex Smith, but also funny with some charisma. 

Just don’t care to have him as a year 2 or 3 QB for an ascending team, due to his proclivity to mismanage games with TOs. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but I’d rather have a conservative QB if it’s going to be average overall play. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My thought is all depends on who is available and what could be done.  We don't know yet.   I am not saying they don't trade the farm to trade up in the draft.  My point on that is they will have likely some serious competition.  And if you don't like giving up the moon for Watson as a hypotetical, I don't see how trading up to 3 would hit you that much better because we likely will trade the moon as well to get up that high.  It won't be as steep probably as a Watson trade but it likely won't be a mile off of it.  

This is sort of a weird draft for us.  Arguably there are 4 really good QBs and that's unique.  But we got a unique large number of teams picking ahead of us who also need a QB.  And we got a crummy pick as for it being potentially coveted by a team wanting to trade down.  If I am Miami for example, I'd want to trade with Atlanta or Carolina or Detroit or Denver instead of dropping all the way to 19.  

Carolina I think is a team to watch, I keep reading they plan to be very aggressive this off season to find a franchise QB. 

Very true.  It will probably cost us next year's 1st and this years 1st 3rd round pick and change either in this year's draft or next to get in position to get one of them.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know if this dude knows anything but who knows....

If Dak is available sure but Stafford etc. aren't long term answers.  RR could have had Newton last year and he passed so I don't think he wants him this year as Newton's play was very poor.  

This is a really good read if anybody has the time about younger, aggressive front offices that are swinging for the fences in trades to solidify their teams and the trends of the 4 teams in the championship games this weekend.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2021/1/22/22243683/tom-brady-aaron-rodgers-nfc-championship-game-football-lessons

The NFL’s final four—Rodgers’s Packers, Brady’s Bucs, Patrick Mahomes’s Kansas City Chiefs, and Josh Allen’s Buffalo Bills—is a worthwhile study in roster-building. Some GMs—Howie Roseman of the Eagles, for instance—have told me they compile the vitals of the final four teams from each season, things such as age, height, weight, draft position, etc., to make sure they aren’t missing some trend among great teams. Conference championship weekend is a good time to take stock of the league and what wins and loses football games. The most obvious through line between the remaining teams this season is the passer and, most importantly, what these teams have done to help theirs.

Sunday’s final four is about quarterbacks. This is always true, in a way, because the entire sport revolves around the position, but somehow, their importance is heightened this year. There are two things you need to know about the league in 2021: the first comes from Football Perspective’s Chase Stuart, who notes that completion percentage is at an all-time high this season, and yards per completion is at an all-time low. Completed passes are more plentiful, safer, and generally more useless. The second thing to understand is that these four teams have unsubscribed from the short completion part of this equation. According to Pro Football Focus, all four rank in the top six in explosive passing plays. Rodgers and Brady are first and second in deep passing yards. Mahomes is tied for the lead in the NFL in deep touchdowns. Allen is tied for second in deep completions. All four teams are in the top 10 in yards per catch. Former NFL quarterback and current NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms said on this week’s Ringer NFL Show that these teams’ ability to stretch the field is an indication of the sport changing before our eyes.

The league has a funny habit of showing us where the sport is by which teams remain at this stage. In the 2017 season, for instance, the final four teams included four of the five best defenses by points allowed. It was a season when Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, and Nick Foles were three of the remaining starting quarterbacks. A year later, only one top-10 defense made the final four, and the four highest-scoring offenses made it. The 2019 season was more of a hybrid: three top-10 offenses and three top-10 defenses. In the league as it is currently set up, you need, roughly, well, everything. The top three scoring offenses are here, as is the sixth. There is no elite defense left, but every team ranks in the top half of the league in points allowed, so good enough.

If you’re looking for some grand vision, it’s this: These teams have elite quarterbacks, they know how to surround them with talent, and they understand how to capitalize on their aggressiveness. (By the way, according to the same explosive pass-play rate, three of the remaining teams are in the top seven at stopping them. Only the Chiefs, who rank 25th, are bad at defending them.) Both Rodgers and Brady have teams that know how to protect them, ranking fourth and fifth, respectively, in the percentage of their throws that come from a clean pocket. This tends to come in handy—they both rank in the top five in passer rating when taking longer than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball. (Brady struggles when taking less than that. Rodgers, incredibly, is ranked no. 1 both above and below 2.5 seconds.)

I am not suggesting the blueprint for the future depends on having one of the most talented quarterbacks in history. That’s obviously the shortest path to a Super Bowl, but let’s assume that most teams already value elite quarterback play (everyone except Houston, apparently). This weekend’s conference championship games suggest that the barrier for entry to compete is as high as it’s ever been. It is not just about having an elite quarterback; it’s surrounding him with protection, at least one elite receiver, and a coaching staff that knows how to make it all work. There are no Mike McCarthys among these four head coaches. Arians, LaFleur, and Andy Reid are brilliant offensive minds and Bills head coach Sean McDermott has one of the best offensive coordinators in football in Brian Daboll. None of these teams rely on their quarterback to solve every problem for them—even if all four of them have that capability.

Last season, I talked to Chiefs general manager Brett Veach about how franchises operate in the modern era. We were talking about the idea that the Chiefs were “all in” in 2019, the last year before they signed Mahomes to an expensive extension. Veach scoffed at the notion that there is anything other than going all in for a top team. “You’ve got to be ‘all in’ every year,” Veach said. His point is a good one: This is an era when a rising salary cap has meant teams can afford more stars and a supporting cast. “The cap keeps going up, guys can get moved, traded—it’s never like it seems,” Veach said, as a way of saying there’s no excuse for not loading your roster every year. (This may soon change as the salary cap is expected to flatten due to the financial impact of COVID-19—the exact number for 2021 is unknown.)

The league is full of younger, more aggressive general managers who have come of age in an era of big trades and big contracts. Not all of the remaining teams fit the bill—the Packers have specialized in playing the long game with their existing talent and not wading too deeply into making big short-term moves—but the general arc of the league is that teams are taking bigger swings and connecting on more of them. The Chiefs traded their first-round picks in 2018 (for Mahomes) and 2019 (for Frank Clark). Buffalo’s trade for Stefon Diggs should be talked about as one of the best acquisitions in modern NFL history. Diggs was the perfect piece to add alongside an ever-improving Allen. According to Pro Football Focus, Allen was last in percentage of uncatchable passes beyond the line of scrimmage in 2018 and 2019. He’s third this year. This has led him to have the biggest third-year jump by any quarterback in history.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This is a really good read if anybody has the time about younger, aggressive front offices that are swinging for the fences in trades to solidify their teams and the trends of the 4 teams in the championship games this weekend.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2021/1/22/22243683/tom-brady-aaron-rodgers-nfc-championship-game-football-lessons

The NFL’s final four—Rodgers’s Packers, Brady’s Bucs, Patrick Mahomes’s Kansas City Chiefs, and Josh Allen’s Buffalo Bills—is a worthwhile study in roster-building. Some GMs—Howie Roseman of the Eagles, for instance—have told me they compile the vitals of the final four teams from each season, things such as age, height, weight, draft position, etc., to make sure they aren’t missing some trend among great teams. Conference championship weekend is a good time to take stock of the league and what wins and loses football games. The most obvious through line between the remaining teams this season is the passer and, most importantly, what these teams have done to help theirs.

Sunday’s final four is about quarterbacks. This is always true, in a way, because the entire sport revolves around the position, but somehow, their importance is heightened this year. There are two things you need to know about the league in 2021: the first comes from Football Perspective’s Chase Stuart, who notes that completion percentage is at an all-time high this season, and yards per completion is at an all-time low. Completed passes are more plentiful, safer, and generally more useless. The second thing to understand is that these four teams have unsubscribed from the short completion part of this equation. According to Pro Football Focus, all four rank in the top six in explosive passing plays. Rodgers and Brady are first and second in deep passing yards. Mahomes is tied for the lead in the NFL in deep touchdowns. Allen is tied for second in deep completions. All four teams are in the top 10 in yards per catch. Former NFL quarterback and current NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms said on this week’s Ringer NFL Show that these teams’ ability to stretch the field is an indication of the sport changing before our eyes.

The league has a funny habit of showing us where the sport is by which teams remain at this stage. In the 2017 season, for instance, the final four teams included four of the five best defenses by points allowed. It was a season when Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, and Nick Foles were three of the remaining starting quarterbacks. A year later, only one top-10 defense made the final four, and the four highest-scoring offenses made it. The 2019 season was more of a hybrid: three top-10 offenses and three top-10 defenses. In the league as it is currently set up, you need, roughly, well, everything. The top three scoring offenses are here, as is the sixth. There is no elite defense left, but every team ranks in the top half of the league in points allowed, so good enough.

If you’re looking for some grand vision, it’s this: These teams have elite quarterbacks, they know how to surround them with talent, and they understand how to capitalize on their aggressiveness. (By the way, according to the same explosive pass-play rate, three of the remaining teams are in the top seven at stopping them. Only the Chiefs, who rank 25th, are bad at defending them.) Both Rodgers and Brady have teams that know how to protect them, ranking fourth and fifth, respectively, in the percentage of their throws that come from a clean pocket. This tends to come in handy—they both rank in the top five in passer rating when taking longer than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball. (Brady struggles when taking less than that. Rodgers, incredibly, is ranked no. 1 both above and below 2.5 seconds.)

I am not suggesting the blueprint for the future depends on having one of the most talented quarterbacks in history. That’s obviously the shortest path to a Super Bowl, but let’s assume that most teams already value elite quarterback play (everyone except Houston, apparently). This weekend’s conference championship games suggest that the barrier for entry to compete is as high as it’s ever been. It is not just about having an elite quarterback; it’s surrounding him with protection, at least one elite receiver, and a coaching staff that knows how to make it all work. There are no Mike McCarthys among these four head coaches. Arians, LaFleur, and Andy Reid are brilliant offensive minds and Bills head coach Sean McDermott has one of the best offensive coordinators in football in Brian Daboll. None of these teams rely on their quarterback to solve every problem for them—even if all four of them have that capability.

Last season, I talked to Chiefs general manager Brett Veach about how franchises operate in the modern era. We were talking about the idea that the Chiefs were “all in” in 2019, the last year before they signed Mahomes to an expensive extension. Veach scoffed at the notion that there is anything other than going all in for a top team. “You’ve got to be ‘all in’ every year,” Veach said. His point is a good one: This is an era when a rising salary cap has meant teams can afford more stars and a supporting cast. “The cap keeps going up, guys can get moved, traded—it’s never like it seems,” Veach said, as a way of saying there’s no excuse for not loading your roster every year. (This may soon change as the salary cap is expected to flatten due to the financial impact of COVID-19—the exact number for 2021 is unknown.)

The league is full of younger, more aggressive general managers who have come of age in an era of big trades and big contracts. Not all of the remaining teams fit the bill—the Packers have specialized in playing the long game with their existing talent and not wading too deeply into making big short-term moves—but the general arc of the league is that teams are taking bigger swings and connecting on more of them. The Chiefs traded their first-round picks in 2018 (for Mahomes) and 2019 (for Frank Clark). Buffalo’s trade for Stefon Diggs should be talked about as one of the best acquisitions in modern NFL history. Diggs was the perfect piece to add alongside an ever-improving Allen. According to Pro Football Focus, Allen was last in percentage of uncatchable passes beyond the line of scrimmage in 2018 and 2019. He’s third this year. This has led him to have the biggest third-year jump by any quarterback in history.

This is tremendous....thanks for posting. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Very true.  It will probably cost us next year's 1st and this years 1st 3rd round pick and change either in this year's draft or next to get in position to get one of them.

If Dak is available sure but Stafford etc. aren't long term answers.  RR could have had Newton last year and he passed so I don't think he wants him this year as Newton's play was very poor.  

I think the point was more that they both have successfully drafted a 1st round QB who was a hit

Reviewing the Mahomes and Allen draft trades:

Patrick Mahomes draft pick trade details

• Kansas City Chiefs received: No. 10 pick in 2017 NFL Draft (Patrick Mahomes)
  • Buffalo Bills received: No. 27 pick in 2017 NFL Draft (Tre'Davious White); third-round 2017 pick (this pick was packaged in a trade that led to Buffalo taking both tackle Dion Dawkins and receiver Zay Jones); first-round 2018 pick (used to trade up and take linebacker Tremaine Edmunds; Buffalo also drafted defensive back Siran Neal with a final pick acquired along with Edmunds)
  • Before the draft, Chiefs GM John Dorsey had identified the Saints (No. 11), Giants (No. 13) and Cardinals (No. 23) as teams that could potentially take Mahomes, according to ESPN. That's why moving up to No. 10 made the most sense.

JOSH ALLEN TRADE DETAILS 

The Bills traded their first- and fifth-round selections (21st and 158th overall) and offensive tackle Cordy Glenn to the Cincinnati Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's first- and sixth-round selections (12th and 187th overall).

The Bills traded their first- and second-round selections (12th, 53rd and 56th overall) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for Tampa Bay's first- and seventh-round selections (7th and 255th overall) The 22nd pick was from the Chiefs (Mahomes trade. They also had the 21st pick before the draft)

Edited by actorguy1

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Getting from #19 to #10 range is quite ‘inexpensive’ in terms of picks required. 

Biggest problem is the teams sat in the 6-12 range.

Also requires you to want to draft a QB you expect to be available in that range. 

fwiw- I’m not seeing anything in Lance that’s making me want to spend multiple draft picks on him. He’s going to need time. 

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

He was referring to Hurney and Mayhew taking franchise guys at the time or so was the perception.  I don't think he was saying that they are after Newton now.

I think Stafford would likely be the answer for a 4-5 year run which is plenty enough.  I think we all would prefer a younger 10-15 year QB.  We'd all rather have the high end buffet versus just the meal or whatever.  But reality might not make that easy.   I love Zach Wilson for example more than most but I am not betting the mortgage on him being a success, if you bet a ton of assets on an unproven guy and end up wrong, the franchise could be screwed. 

I'd be willing to mortgage assets and trade up but I have some limits on it.  I have less limits on trading for a player who I know has already proven they are good.   We don't want RG3 part 2.  It was depressing not having the first rounders in 2013 and 2014 and not having an answer at QB at the same time -- it was lose lose back then. 

But just in general I like to aggressive so I am cool with going up in the draft in a big way if that's where this goes because i'd presume they are big time sold on the target.